(Topic ID: 40125)

Android App - Pinball Hunter

By bghenson23

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bghenson23.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

I put together a simple Android application for watching pinball listings. It is up on Google Play under the name 'Pinball Hunter'.

This is my first version of my first Android app, so it isn't beautiful shiny perfection, but you might find it handy for watching the pinball machine listings.

If you end up trying it, I'd love to receive your feedback and/or feature requests.

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from RussMyers:

Says it's incompatible with my Nexus 7.

RM

I'll try and see if I can fix that this weekend. Thanks!

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Just downloaded-is it for Mr. Pinball only-is there a craigslist app?

It picks up Mr Pinball, EBay, Pinside Market, Pinball Owners and Craigslist (but DC area only...I'll try and add more craigslist support this weekend).

#6 11 years ago

I got it to pick up the other craigslist cities and I believe it should work on your Nexus 7 now.

#8 11 years ago

Yea, I think that sort of feature is definitely in the future.

#11 11 years ago

The last version I put out (it might be another hour or two before it is available) allows you (at least on Android 2.3 phones) to select which sources and for Craigslist what cities to pull data from. That's available on the settings screen.

I'm having an issue with supporting the variety of devices (Android 2, 3, 4), so hopefully I figure some of that out soon. And I have some ideas about how to support just showing listings within a certain distance, just trying to figure out the details.

#14 11 years ago

So that is my current version support conundrum. The menu button works on Android 2.x. For newer versions, it isn't displaying the action bar like it should. What version of Android are you running?

#15 11 years ago

Oh and you might not yet have the latest version. It can take hours for the latest version to get through the Google Play publishing process.

#17 11 years ago

I just published (so it might be a few hours) a version that will show the action bar and allow configuration for Android 3 and 4. Turned out to be simple (5 lines of code), just took time to find the right bits.

#20 11 years ago

The filtering happens when it retrieves the data. You would need to clear to get rid of the old data...you can then wait for it to run again or click refresh to kick off the data retrieval. Let me know if that works for ya.

#24 11 years ago

Yea, I think there are definitely some ways in which I could improve the user experience.

The clear button empties the database. Refresh will cause the background process to populate the database to kick off. The filtering is really only working on the loading of the data. The phone only keeps the data that matches your criteria.

So basically after pressing clear and then refresh, it might take a little while to reload (for all sources, it can take several minutes).

I uploaded a new version this morning (so it'll probably be available by lunch) that allows filtering with a zipcode and distance from that zipcode.

BTW, there isn't a user changeable search phrase. It always is looking for the word pinball.

#29 11 years ago

Astropin, you may have to clear to get rid of the older data. When data is loading it does the filtering based on zip code. Not sure why you wouldn't be getting the other data providers. Let me know if that persists.

Pinmister - I thought by hitting the major cities that it would pick up the stuff in between. I don't know enough about craigslist to say for sure though. Just noticed that it seemed to go quite a distance from the cities (Wash DC would cover areas north of baltimore for example). I'll look into it.

The pricing suggestion might be a little harder to implement. I'm trying to figure out how best to identify which machine is which. Most listings outside of Mr Pinball and Pinball Owners are pretty free form and it can be hard to figure out which pin is in the ad.

I probably won't put out any more releases until the weekend. The job takes priority I'm afraid.

The one other feature that I've been fiddling with is a text box filter. It sits above the listings and filters them by what you type. If you type 'Ebay', you get only ebay listings. If you type 'baseball' you just get listings for games with that in the ad. It seems to really slow things down though. And for small screen devices it cuts down on the usable space.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bghenson23.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/android-app-pinball-hunter?tu=bghenson23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.