(Topic ID: 5085)

Andrei Massenkoff wins PAPA 14 World Championships!

By jonnyo

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Leigh
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

andrei.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vt8man.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 12 years ago

This is starting to sound like RGP, if we are discussing the semantics behind "professional" and "world".

Build a bigger place, get more people from across the "world" to show up, and then you can make that claim as well.

A professional competitor, in any sport or contest, is usually denoted by the fact that you can make money doing it. "Making a living" off of it, has nothing to do with being professional. It just states you are the best of the best.

If I'm the 3rd string quarterback for an NFL team for my entire career, I probably made the league minimum. If my career was only 5 years, you'd still call me a professional football player even though I doubt I'd be making a living off it after my career was over.

Last I checked it's only called PAPA HQ, and yes it's only one location. Not sure why you need more than one location to call some place a headquarters, but secondly tournaments all over the world award free PAPA tournament entries to those that win smaller tournaments. Hence, we all come to PAPA HQ to determine the champion. I guess the other argument is the IFPA decides this?

#17 12 years ago

So strictly speaking, the world champion needs to hold both belts? I'll buy that.

PAPA really promotes pinball. When I tell people I'm going to the World Pinball Championships, they actually seem somewhat interested. I just spent my day before 4 days at PAPA at an incredible party, and it was an experience. I went last year, and to Pinburgh and as a player, it's incredible.

If it's not the World Championship, it sure does get people to show up, because it was great to see so many people in one house playing. I think the turnout was much higher than last year. It's so much fun.

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from Leigh:

Which machines do they play on?

There were 479 players registered to compete at PAPA 14.
    4176 entries were recorded, 1188 of which were voided.
    767,811,442,668 points were scored during qualifying.

This link will have the scores/games/rankings for all the tournaments. You can see player scores, games scores, what was played. There were 3 classics tourneys that qualified and ended the same day. Thursday - Saturday. The A, B, and C divisions qualify for 3 days until Sunday. The top 16 in each division get in. Plus there are Juniors/Seniors tournaments, and mini tourneys on other machines.

http://www.papa.org/papa14/live/

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vt8man.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/andrei-massenkoff-wins-papa-14-world-championships?tu=vt8man and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.