• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-896.jpg
image.jpg
photo.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadsugg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Almost 7 months ago, my gf and I had our first son, Walt. Just two months before that, I had bought my first pin, TMNT, and played it endlessly.

Upon Walt's birth, my pin sat practically un-played for the first few months (not to mention my daily Pinside visits slowed) due to my utter lack of sleep from raising him, and my fear that the mechanical sounds of the game would scare the crap out of him. Then, one day, I decided, what the hell, I'm gonna try this...

I sat the little guy on the glass leaned against me, started up the game, and after the first small jolt of surprise from the ball being kicked out for play, he was in awe. It's now been about three months since that first game, and he's at the point where when we walk in the room with the pin, he'll literally turn to look at it and smile without it even being turned on. He loves it when I or his mom plays pinball with him

(And I'm not an idiot, I get it... Put flashing lights and sounds in front of any baby and they'll love it... But give me a break here. A guy can dream that his kid loves pinball and always will, right? :p )

P.S. - I've attached a photo of one of the first times we showed him the pin back in the summer. He's completely mystified

P.P.S. - Now that things have calmed down with the baby, it's nice to be back on Pinside regularly. I've missed it oh so much

photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Welcome back to Pinside. Great post and pic.
Sounds like nice family times for you this past year, ...err, except for some lack of sleep.
Wait till Walt starts helping you with pinball machine repairs. That will make good memories.
p.s.: make sure you have a good beer seal under the lockdown bar.

Thanks
And yeah, as far repairs go, I'll just send him into the cabinet with a headstrap flashlight and a screwdriver while he's still small. I mean, that's how everybody else does it, right?

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from ThatsaKicker:

Belated congratulations!
That's so cute and awesome. He does look baffled there

Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Some scientists say that boys are much harder to conceive than girls.
So if you're lucky to ever have one, consider it a high blessing.
Big congrats!

Thanks! We would have been more than glad with either, but we're SOOOO glad it turned out to be a boy... I mean, the toys are just SO MUCH COOLER!

Quoted from RCA1:

Seems like you must have been doing SOMETHING besides playing TMNT endlessly

Look man, I was just playing pinball one day and a stork left a basket on my door. Strangest thing.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I love this. Eventually they get to this point .
18months old...
» YouTube video
Even today and just over too he's constantly saying, dada, pinball? He still can't reach the flipper buttons on the wide body but he's getting there.

1 - This is the cutest damn thing ever.
2 - I wonder if I attempt this approach of play-style at our next local tournament, whether or not I'll get odd looks. "Oh, hey guys, I've been practicing like crazy for this month's match!" *pulls off lock bar, slides out glass, proceeds to throw pinballs at playfield*

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from jammer74:

I did the same with my son, only when he was strong enough to hold his head up he was in the forward facing kangaroo carrier strapped to my chest. He's 5 now ,and able to catch and stall the ball before flipping. The advantage we have influencing their interests is unfair,but just imagine the advantage they have learning pinball early. It takes timing and calculation to play. I find it amazing at 5 he can place his shots well.
Most of all a huge congradulations to your family . Children are a gift.

Glad to hear, and thanks!

Quoted from dementedwarlok:

I cant wait till my next daughter is born. I plan to make her a pinball fan. Hope she likes daddys obsession.

All one must do, is pray to the pinball gods, and ye shall receive!

Quoted from williams:

Congrats! So that's why we haven't seen you at Game Galaxy in a while.
Enjoy it - soon he'll learn what that flashing start button is for and press it at what always seems to be the middle of a great game.

Thanks, and yeah, man, been quite the insane past few months! I plan on finally making my way back down for December's tourney though... Can't wait to try out the new Star Trek

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Congrats! As a father of three boys, here is a little advice: if you want them to love pinball, never let them know video games exist

Thanks! And funny you should mention that... While we may not end up successful in this plan, our goal is to show the little guy classic systems at first NES & Super NES, and hopefully get him interested in those so he can see that they're actually fun... Then, later on, show him PS3/4 etc.

So, hopefully pinball can still compete in that light!

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Mycal:

Very cool & welcome back, I'm working on future pinheads too!
A 3 year old and a 7 month old too.

image.jpg 493 KB

image-896.jpg 602 KB

Heck yeah! I would guess we can all agree, that there's just something about seeing a young kid playing pinball that puts a smile on your face.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadsugg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/and-so-a-new-future-pinhead-is-born?tu=chadsugg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.