(Topic ID: 66699)

Analog Flippers

By hainter

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinball.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Are there any sort of pinball type games out there with analog flippers? I've been thinking about trying to mock this up on one of my pins to see how it would work. Basically you have a flipper button that is sensitive to how much you push it in and it in turn would control how fast or slow the flipper actuates. I know it could be done with the right mechanical and electronic designs but my question is would this be beneficial or would it just be a novelty? Would you be able to have better flipper/ball control?

Would there be a better sub-forum for this?

#2 10 years ago

I think it would cause more malfunctions probably a waste of time but as a cool novelty to see if it works try it maybe your on to something.

#3 10 years ago

well, first off, that wouldn't make them "analog", but it would make them "variable"...

methinks it would be a waste of time... it's not like there is a lot of "throw" in a flipper button, it would be really difficult to truly exercise any control...

that doesn't mean it wouldn't be fun to try and see if you can do it... thinking about it, it wouldn't be impossible to implement... but i think once implemented, it would be relatively useless..

#4 10 years ago

Most people just mash the flipper in anyway so finding a way to have it have resistance would be the true issue.

#5 10 years ago

What's wrong with a tap pass (other than it's hard)? Isn't that pretty much the concept you're going for?

#6 10 years ago

I see a few ways this could work:

1. The faster you press the button the faster the flipper "flips" and the faster you release the button the faster the flipper releases. Maybe on the slow end it could take 1 second for a full stroke or release stroke. On the fast end if you mash the button down as hard as you can it would be like the normal stroke that we are used to.

2. How far the button is depressed or released determines the position of the flipper. I can't picture this being useful in my mind but maybe its worth a shot.

There are some other things to consider like that fact that the flipper doesn't perfectly travel from one end of the stroke to the other (this is why a live catch works, it bounces at the end of the stroke) and the fact that the flipper can only react so fast because of mechanical issues.

#7 10 years ago

Its been done.
    pinball.jpgpinball.jpg

#8 10 years ago

you also have to take into consideration variable skill in the people playing. as a pinball fan myself i think it is great, but if my girlfriend or my friends kids were to play (especially the really young) they would get frustrates as they will not understand the subtleties involved in the correlation between amount of force applied to amount of force exerted.

again, think it could be cool, but i don't know how well it would be taking in by the mass crowd.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/analog-flippers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.