• Latest reply 3 years ago by LTG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0567 (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

My name is Mike. My 31 year old son is autistic and lives for pinball...he’s been playing since he was 8. A few years back I bought him two machines: Johnny Mnemonic and NBA Fastbreak. There’s nobody around us—Northeastern PA— who repairs pins so I am doing my best. My question is about the coin door for NBA, which is not recognizing open or closed so it can’t be played. I replaced the top switch, which I assume is the power shutoff, with one that seems identical except the original is a Cherry F 79 and the new one is an E79. My understanding is theses switches are used in lots of pins and arcade games and are interchangeable. In any case it didn’t solve the problem. All wires seem in good shape and well soldered. Is there something else I should try? Could the smaller bottom switch be the problem.
Thanks in advance for any advice .
M

#2 4 years ago

Here is a WOZ set up. Yours should be similar. Are your wires in the right spots. ( wire colors will be different ) But you see the pattern. When the switch is closed it completes a circuit for the red wires, or completes a circuit for the blue wires.

Bottom switch is memory protect. When coin door is closed, it won't allow you to make adjustments in the games menu system. Won't effect game play working or not. This one does put up the message on the screen that the coin door is open and high power disabled. The high power switch only cuts or enables high power, it doesn't send the message to the screen.

Have you pulled and check fuses on power driver board ? Checked voltage test points on power driver board - to see if any are low or missing ? 50 volt not under load will read higher, don't worry about it.

LTG : )

IMG_0567 (resized).JPGIMG_0567 (resized).JPG
#3 4 years ago

Welcome to Pinside!

And ... always listen to LTG, he will steer you the right way

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

Welcome to Pinside!

And ... always listen to LTG, he will steer you the right way

Not always.

Thank you for the reminder.

Welcome to Pinside ! Lots of great info, help, and people here !

#5 4 years ago

Thanks you so much for the help. I’ll check out those spots. One thing I’m not sure about: I’ve been focusing on the voltage shutoff switch but perhaps I should be looking at the other. Would an open door message actually block game play? The adjustment buttons don’t work —it says I have to open door to use them even when door is open—and the play button doesn’t light up or work.
Hope I’m not being a pain...I’m struggling to get his game up and running. He does love pinball

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Mikelafav:

Hope I’m not being a pain...I’m struggling to get his game up and running.

This is part of the reason this site is here. I can't help but there are enough people here that can. Be sure to get as specific. Post pics as well. Good luck. Your son will be flipping again soon.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Mikelafav:

Would an open door message actually block game play?

No.

#8 4 years ago

Sometimes pictures of the switches or surrounding area (such as wires or boards) will help someone spot something that hasn't been described (often because it's not recognized as being relevant when it is). Plus ... who doesn't like pretty pictures?

1 week later
#9 4 years ago

Now I’m really flummoxed. Took your advice and checked fuses. Two on the main board were blown—one was marked ‘sol” and the other ‘flash’—I will post pix. Got some new ones and popped them in. Before doing that the machine was in attract mode and all seemed okay except coin door wasn’t registering. After installing the fuses—the exact ones that were in there—nothing is working except a couple of lamps by the flippers. Not sure where to go next.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Mikelafav:

Now I’m really flummoxed. Took your advice and checked fuses. Two on the main board were blown—one was marked ‘sol” and the other ‘flash’—I will post pix. Got some new ones and popped them in. Before doing that the machine was in attract mode and all seemed okay except coin door wasn’t registering. After installing the fuses—the exact ones that were in there—nothing is working except a couple of lamps by the flippers. Not sure where to go next.

PS- At the same time I changed the batteries

#11 4 years ago

If you changed batteries with the machine off, it reverted back to factory settings.

That’s not your real problem, though. Something caused those fuses to blow.

Take a close look at the wiring under the playfield, look for wires that show evidence of rubbing, especially around the slingshots, pops, and any other toys that move. It’s possible a solenoid wire hit a flash lamp or visa Versaw.

I don’t know these games, so this is a guess at the issue.

2 months later
#12 3 years ago

Thanks, I will. Right now can’t get menu buttons to work because of the coin door issue so I’ll check for worn wires

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Mikelafav:

Right now can’t get menu buttons to work

Is there any battery damage on the CPU ?

#14 3 years ago

There was some powdery ‘schmutz’ (not a technical term I know) on the contacts. I scraped it off with a needle file.

#15 3 years ago

If I could run tests I might be able to identify the issue but the coin door interlock issue has me flummoxed. Replaced the top switch but it didn’t help. I will try a voltage meter next to see if they are getting current.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Mikelafav:

There was some powdery ‘schmutz’ (not a technical term I know) on the contacts. I scraped it off with a needle file.

If it's gotten underneath the battery holder, you might have more damage than you can see.

It takes out the diagnostic buttons first.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 24.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Morristown, NJ
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/an-introduction-and-a-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.