(Topic ID: 32914)

An interesting take on the future of Pinside ...

By gweempose

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 97 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by RobT
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Marantz_RC2000.jpg
    SNSD_Sexy_Sailor_Girls_Wallpaper.jpg
    Abbey_Road.jpg
    images.jpg
    tumblr_m0cdbrqqfb1rqfhi2o1_500.gif
    popcorn.gif
    There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 11 years ago
    Quoted from JoeJet:

While i dont think Pinside is going anywhere anytime soon, things happen and IF they did would be sad to see the knowledge found in the site go away for future generations. Like it or not, RGP doesnt work that way and all those helpful posts are there forever (probably)

Interesting point. And I fully agree with your concern. In fact, that's one of the reason why the Pinside does not support pasting image URLs in posts. I want people to upload the actual image so we can make sure the image will remain accessible, even if the original source goes away.

People often mention the running costs as a reason why the Pinside would disappear. But don't forget that Usenet is also being payed for by certain parties. Universities, ISP's etc. - Running Usenet is not free of cost. A friend of mine visited a large hosting provider here in the Netherlands recently. He spotted a large rack and was told this was the Usenet rack. This thing had hardware requirements, power requirements, maintenance. My point is: it costs money to run Usenet. I'm guessing this provider, as do many providers and universities, maintains this server for their user base because there is a demand. If that demand ceases or if the cost of maintaining it does no longer weigh up against the benefits, they *will* pull the plug on that rack. If others follow it could be over relatively quickly.

And secondly, with the increased abuse of Usenet for posting and retrieving illegal content, it remains to be seen how long it can last against the copyright holders lobby. They maight only succesfully take down the alt.binaries.* tree, but that would mean a huge decrease in Usenet usage (see my first point).

Thirdly, a question from my end. Many of us depend on Google or RGP Archive to access historic data/posts from RGP. Are there many servers worldwide who still hold the complete RGP history?

#52 11 years ago

Not sure about the complete history but I've found posts I made in 1997 on RGP and RGVAC (and RGVAM)

I was bored at work one day and started going through my old post. Funny stuff...I can't believe I paid $800 for a extremely rough but working Robotron...which I still have.

This is through Google groups..not sure about the archive site

Quoted from robin:

Thirdly, a question from my end. Many of us depend on Google or RGP Archive to access historic data/posts from RGP. Are there many servers worldwide who still hold the complete RGP history?

#53 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

This was not meant to be a trolling. I originally used the RGP thread as a segue to discuss what would happen to Pinside if something happened to Robin. It was then pointed out to me that the fact that I had linked to the RGP thread could possibly overshadow an otherwise innocuous discussion. I realized my mistake, and decided to make a second dedicated thread about the future of Pinside. I then went ahead and edited my original post, leaving just the first part. I didn't edit it in order to paint myself in a better light or skew the truth, but I understand how my intentions could be misconstrued if you came in after the fact. For the record, I find the thread on RGP to be quite interesting (thus the title of this thread). That's why I decided to keep this thread instead of deleting it. I thought my comment about "one foot in the grave" was funny, but apparently I was the only one laughing.

I took it for what it was and saw no trolling. Well anyway it can happen, as soon as robin gets tired of it or it becomes a tax on time, for example, new job, illness, life change......just like game room magazine, or the p2k CPU makers (brain fart on the co) another example if Schelberg doesn't do pingame journal it's over. I just hope if that day comes they both pass on the legacy.

#54 11 years ago

Maybe I'll move to Alaska and live in the wild

I' d go tropical,less bears

images.jpgimages.jpg

#55 11 years ago

Kyle is a good man.

And he has seen things pinball related come and go.

Kicking up discussion to be sure there are great resources like RGP, Pinside, and other places, can be available for future generations of pinball fans.

Who you help today in pinball, goes forward. We've seen it happen.

Helps keep pinball alive, and that is a good thing.

There will always be change. And seeing pinball continue, is the idea.

LTG : )

#56 11 years ago
    Quoted from JoeJet:

I have been part of a few thriving forum communities. Aside from AVSForum they all eventually died ...

It's funny you should mention AVSForum. Prior to joining Pinside, AVSForum was by far the online community I was most active in. I joined there back in 2001. I'm not nearly as active over there these days, but I check in every now and then, especially when I'm researching some new gear to buy. It's an amazing online resource.

There is another site I'm a member of that I have always felt has a very similar vibe to Pinside. It's Remote Central ...

http://www.remotecentral.com/

Remote Central is run by a guy named Daniel Tonks who, coincidentally, is a also pinhead. Like Pinside, Daniel's site caters to a small niche hobby. In this case, it's remote controls. Remote Central has been around a long time, and it's forums have remained extremely active.

#57 11 years ago

interesting or schtupid?

#58 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Wow. I just read Kyle's prediction and I don't know what to say...

I've never met Kyle, but I've come to accept that this hobby attracts many quirky people. Kyle's rant really isn't the point here IMO. One of your moderators posted a link to that thread with only a quip about pinside having one foot in the grave (which you quoted). He may have not intended it as a troll, but that is a troll. Throwing out a link with a controversial tone from somewhere else without any thoughts is asking for trouble.

I'm not suggesting gweem should be demoted or anything. Clearly he wasn't intentionally trolling. But as a moderator, he should know how to spot trolling. As it stands, this thread should've never been started. If anyone but a moderator started it, it should have been completely deleted. Not locked, deleted. What's the point of moderation if you don't keep BS like that out of here? What good has come from this thread or the one it spawned?

Quoted from robin:

Again, Kyle, let's have a beer someday in the future and toast to the existing of both RGP and Pinside as well as dozens of other cool pinball sites to visit!

I'd like to sit down with gweem, Kyle and you to drink a few beers. Maybe a few shots too. Now that would be a cool conversation.

#59 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

It's funny you should mention AVSForum. Prior to joining Pinside, AVSForum was by far the online community I was most active in. I joined there back in 2001. I'm not nearly as active over there these days, but I check in every now and then, especially when I'm researching some new gear to buy. It's an amazing online resource.
    There is another site I'm a member of that I have always felt has a very similar vibe to Pinside. It's Remote Central ...
    Remote Central is run by a guy named Daniel Tonks who, coincidentally, is a also pinhead. Like Pinside, Daniel's site caters to a small niche hobby. In this case, it's remote controls. Remote Central has been around a long time, and it's forums have remained extremely active.

Wow...small world indeed! I've been a long time member on AVS and Remote Central, though not very active at all on either (actually I'm not positive I ever set up an account on RC, but I have done tons of research there...). DVDTalk is another where I am a bit more active, but not as much as here or RGP in the past. All great communities. And on the subject of great niche communities that have unfortunately died and taken a great deal of good info with them, I sure do miss AV123. Such a shame how that all went down (long crazy story not worth getting into). That was one of the most friendly home theater forums around, though obviously biased to that brand. Looking back, Pinside reminds me a lot of that place (though I doubt Robin will end up in jail for basically stealing charity money like the founder of that place did...like I said, long crazy story..LOL!) OK...enough rambling from me.

Long live Pinside!

#60 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

I'm not suggesting gweem should be demoted or anything. Clearly he wasn't intentionally trolling. But as a moderator, he should know how to spot trolling. As it stands, this thread should've never been started. If anyone but a moderator started it, it should have been completely deleted.

We are obviously not on the same page when it comes to what constitutes trolling. Even if someone else started the thread, I wouldn't have deleted it. I highly doubt any of the other mods would have either. While I don't agree with a lot of what Kyle's said in his thread, it was nonetheless an interesting read. A lot of Pinsiders never visit RGP, so they would have been completely unaware of the thread if it wasn't for me. It sounds like your main problem was with my "one foot in the grave" quip. As I said before, it was meant to be humorous.

Quoted from phishrace:

I'd like to sit down with gweem, Kyle and you to drink a few beers.

Sounds good to me. The next time you are in Chicago, let's make it happen.

#61 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

But don't forget that Usenet is also being payed for by certain parties. Universities, ISP's etc. - Running Usenet is not free of cost. A friend of mine visited a large hosting provider here in the Netherlands recently. He spotted a large rack and was told this was the Usenet rack. This thing had hardware requirements, power requirements, maintenance. My point is: it costs money to run Usenet. I'm guessing this provider, as do many providers and universities, maintains this server for their user base because there is a demand. If that demand ceases or if the cost of maintaining it does no longer weigh up against the benefits, they *will* pull the plug on that rack. If others follow it could be over relatively quickly.blockquote>

This is great point. Many of the usnet proponents cite how it is truly independent but fail to realize resources, with ongoing costs, are being spent by organizations to keep it going. Anytime $$$ are involved it is at risk of being cut or replaced.

#62 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

Wow...small world indeed! I've been a long time member on AVS

That was my old Hobby. With 3 kids I finally sold off my gear. Has B&W 802s running on Classe 400 watt monos all straightwire plus center channel and rears plus Velodyne Sub. And that was just my main system. That gave me the money to buy pins though : )
    From my visit to Abbey Road. Abbey_Road.jpgAbbey_Road.jpg

#63 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

We are obviously not on the same page when it comes to what constitutes trolling. Even if someone else started the thread, I wouldn't have deleted it. I highly doubt any of the other mods would have either. While I don't agree with a lot of what Kyle's said in his thread, it was nonetheless an interesting read. A lot of Pinsiders never visit RGP, so they would have been completely unaware of the thread if it wasn't for me. It sounds like your main problem was with my "one foot in the grave" quip. As I said before, it was meant to be humorous.

You were obviously making fun of Kyle's post. The smiley at the end with the rolling eyes kinda confirms that. As I said earlier, what good can come from a thread like this? Why even bother posting something like that? Educating pinsiders? About what exactly? How much of a nut Kyle is?

Quoted from gweempose:

Sounds good to me. The next time you are in Chicago, let's make it happen.

Expo is on my bucket list. Some day.

#64 11 years ago

Well there's more posts on this thread. I read the rgp thread, and it reiterated why I am on Pinside. I am a noob simply because I am young. Sure I haven't been collecting since the 80's because I wasn't born until 86. I love pinball, and the long time rgp posters make me feel like I'm not welcome in this hobby. Embrace the people who have the same hobbies as you. Don't make them feel unwelcome because they were late to the party.

#65 11 years ago
    Quoted from ianwho:

Well there's more posts on this thread. I read the rgp thread, and it reiterated why I am on Pinside. I am a noob simply because I am young. Sure I haven't been collecting since the 80's because I wasn't born until 86. I love pinball, and the long time rgp posters make me feel like I'm not welcome in this hobby. Embrace the people who have the same hobbies as you. Don't make them feel unwelcome because they were late to the party.

The haters are mad because they think all this new blood is driving prices up. While that may be true, the new interest will keep pinball healthy for quite some time. Ignore them.

#66 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I used to be really into the exciting world of programming remotes. I spent a lot of time on remotecentral.com and hifi-remote.com/forums. I still go to hifi-remote.com when I need to download an upgrade for a new device, but I don't stalk the forum like I used to.

#67 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

You were obviously making fun of Kyle's post.

Probably because it's funny. I find it silly that people actually take offense to others liking a certain site over another or wish one ill will because it is becoming more popular. It is Pinball man, go where you like no need to wish ill will on the other or predict it will fail. I found the post funny because of how popular Pinside has become in the past year especially with new enthusiasts. His prediction seemed to fly in the face of reason.

Without Pinside I am not sure I would of gotten into Pinball due to the high cost of hiring a professional to come out and fix problems. I was lucky enough to make some friends here years back that helped me gain the knowledge and confidence to fix and even add to machines. I know this is not the case for all and that some would say there are better places to get help. However, Pinside has been very helpful for me and probably got me more into pinball then I would of been without it. Big thanks to Robin for maintaining and improving it over the years!

#68 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

Wow...small world indeed! I've been a long time member on AVS and Remote Central ...

Quoted from floyd1977:

I used to be really into the exciting world of programming remotes. I spent a lot of time on remotecentral.com and hifi-remote.com/forums.

It's interesting how so many of us gravitate toward the same geeky hobbies.

So what's your remote of choice? I'm partial to URC products myself. I debated switching over to RTI at one point, but I already had so much URC infrastructure that it would have been cost prohibitive.

#69 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

So what's your remote of choice?

Crestron!

#71 11 years ago

Hey, if you like CONTROL in your life the two best things to own are Crestron and handcuffs ; )

#72 11 years ago

The reason I never went the Crestron route is because I prefer remotes with lots of hard buttons to touch screens. When I'm just sitting around watching TV, I like to control my TiVo without looking at the remote. Touchscreens are great for some stuff, though, like home automation. Then again, most of that stuff can easily be handled these days by iPads or smartphones running apps. Things have definitely changed a lot since I got into the hobby.

#73 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

So what's your remote of choice? I'm partial to URC products myself. I debated switching over to RTI at one point, but I already had so much URC infrastructure that it would have been cost prohibitive.

I keep it simple...I'm a Harmony guy. Love my One! I haven't kept up on anything else since getting it since I've been completely satisfied with it. I always wanted to play with a Pronto back when they were all the rage, but budget constraints kept that from happening. Are they even around anymore?

I have an old URC MX-500 laying around that came with my Emotiva preamp back in the day, but I've literally never used it.

#74 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

that stuff can easily be handled these days by iPads or smartphones running apps

True. Even the best stuff is becomong outdated.

That MX-500 was game changer. No two way feedback but a sick remote for the money.

But again, technology speeds ahead.

#75 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I have a URC-9910 and two URC-8910s (the 9910 is just an 8910 with an RF extender).

I still can do the JP1 stuff when I need to. I just don't fiddle with it as much. Playing and working on pinball machines is a lot more fun and addicting to me.

#76 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

a sick remote for the money.

So how does a remote become 'sick'? Is it when the batteries leak? Or if you drop it and break something? I guess then it is 'sick'.....

#77 11 years ago

Hello! My name is Kyle Wren and I started the thread in question on RGP. Not looking to get into a fight over here, I just thought I would explain my motivations for doing so as I am not looking to make "pinball enemies", and that was not my intention. In a nutshell, while I stand by my prediction on this site I don't wish it (or it's owner and moderators) ill will. I have just seen a lot of stuff come and go, maybe this will be the exception to that?

It would however be nice if RGP didn't have to have three or four new threads started every day, presumably by pinside members that are pleased with things over here to the point that they need to predict gloom and doom on us. That is what motivated me to start the thread over there. RGP isn't for everyone and I get that. I like it there and there are aspects of the "wild west" nature of Usenet that appeal to me over forums like this one. Not to say this is a bad forum, I have spent a while looking around here and it seems like a good bunch of folks who like the silver ball, and that is great.

I would be happy to meet anyone here as I am not a troll (you will find when you meet me I'm more shaped like an Ogre), I also do not post to the Internet anonymously although I couldn't figure out any way to change my signature here to be my actual name. I am usually at Expo every year (sadly I missed this year). I am also at the Ohio Show in March most years. Ask me any questions and I will answer, I am not shy.

#78 11 years ago

Simple solution post RGP stuff on RGP and post Pinside stuff here.

People have to go and make it complicated. Hopefully most pinsiders like me just dont care. And that should be perfect. I wish pinsiders did not read that and come post it here. Say what you want and if I dont hear it or read it there is zero impact. Luckily no one reads this to me out loud while I am tied down so I can also ignore or read and not care. Sooo many choices.
    You were fine in posting in my opinion folks need to let go and not bring it here and vice versa.
    Oh by the way the world is ending too ack!

#79 11 years ago

Pinside vs RGP pinball tourney for ultimate pinball supremacy!!!!

#80 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I joined AVS in 2002 (was a member at Home Theater Forum before that). I have over 13k posts at AVS. I've been extremely non-active there for the last two years. Why? Because I found this new hobby that is more addicting than any that I've ever had. Care to guess what it is?

Quoted from gweempose:

The reason I never went the Crestron route is because I prefer remotes with lots of hard buttons to touch screens. When I'm just sitting around watching TV, I like to control my TiVo without looking at the remote. Touchscreens are great for some stuff, though, like home automation. Then again, most of that stuff can easily be handled these days by iPads or smartphones running apps. Things have definitely changed a lot since I got into the hobby.

Couldn't agree more. I'm huge on the hard buttons as well, and largely for that reason I'm in the URC camp.

#81 11 years ago
    Quoted from viper001:

Hello! My name is Kyle Wren and I started the thread in question on RGP. Not looking to get into a fight over here, I just thought I would explain my motivations for doing so as I am not looking to make "pinball enemies", and that was not my intention. In a nutshell, while I stand by my prediction on this site I don't wish it (or it's owner and moderators) ill will. I have just seen a lot of stuff come and go, maybe this will be the exception to that?
    It would however be nice if RGP didn't have to have three or four new threads started every day, presumably by pinside members that are pleased with things over here to the point that they need to predict gloom and doom on us. That is what motivated me to start the thread over there. RGP isn't for everyone and I get that. I like it there and there are aspects of the "wild west" nature of Usenet that appeal to me over forums like this one. Not to say this is a bad forum, I have spent a while looking around here and it seems like a good bunch of folks who like the silver ball, and that is great.
    I would be happy to meet anyone here as I am not a troll (you will find when you meet me I'm more shaped like an Ogre), I also do not post to the Internet anonymously although I couldn't figure out any way to change my signature here to be my actual name. I am usually at Expo every year (sadly I missed this year). I am also at the Ohio Show in March most years. Ask me any questions and I will answer, I am not shy.

Hey Kyle, thanks for taking the time to post this. I'm sorry if people are posting about Pinside at the expense of RGP, that's definitely not something I support. As I said earlier, there's no need for a "us vs them" mentality because it's all pinball and imho there can't be enough of that.

Seriously, let's have a beer some day!

#82 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Hey Kyle, thanks for taking the time to post this. I'm sorry if people are posting about Pinside at the expense of RGP, that's definitely not something I support. As I said earlier, there's no need for a "us vs them" mentality because it's all pinball and imho there can't be enough of that.
    Seriously, let's have a beer some day!

Well, I have to admit to something and give credit where credit is due. I posted my previous entry and then had to drop offline right away (drive home, visit sick Momma, eat, etc). Kind of forgot about this actually. Then I remembered so I had to jump online, fully expecting to have been monkeypiled in the defenseless 4 or so hours since I was on. Didn't happen, and to be honest again I don't think I've ever been treated as friendly by a forum owner as I have you Robin. Thanks for that. Maybe this really will be the forum that "makes it". I have to say you do have a pretty impressive amount of traffic on here.

#83 11 years ago

Kyle...welcome to pinside!

#84 11 years ago
    Quoted from tripp:

Kyle...welcome to pinside!

Let's not forget Kyle is buying beer at Expo next year.

LTG : )

#85 11 years ago

Welcome Kyle!

#86 11 years ago
    Quoted from viper001:

Well, I have to admit to something and give credit where credit is due. I posted my previous entry and then had to drop offline right away (drive home, visit sick Momma, eat, etc). Kind of forgot about this actually. Then I remembered so I had to jump online, fully expecting to have been monkeypiled in the defenseless 4 or so hours since I was on. Didn't happen, and to be honest again I don't think I've ever been treated as friendly by a forum owner as I have you Robin. Thanks for that. Maybe this really will be the forum that "makes it". I have to say you do have a pretty impressive amount of traffic on here.

WELCOME BRO! Rick here! Awesome to have ya man! Now we can gang bang the Dundah from down undah!

Kyle, you made an excellent choice man. I am so stoked your here! feel free to cruise my Pinside page and gander at my stuff!

Rick. "I'm gonna have me some fun" #190

#87 11 years ago

Welcome Kyle. I like Stella, or more exotic entertaining beers.

#88 11 years ago

Welcome Aboard Kyle

SNSD_Sexy_Sailor_Girls_Wallpaper.jpgSNSD_Sexy_Sailor_Girls_Wallpaper.jpg

#89 11 years ago

Thanks guys! And thanks for the new desktop wallpaper!!

#90 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

That was my old Hobby. With 3 kids I finally sold off my gear. Has B&W 802s running on Classe 400 watt monos all straightwire plus center channel and rears plus Velodyne Sub. And that was just my main system. That gave me the money to buy pins though : )
    From my visit to Abbey Road.

What did you listen too most? What sounded best through hot gear?

#91 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

What did you listen too most? What sounded best through hot gear?

24 bit CDs especially Dark Side of the moon.

Thats also the problem with super high end. Just chasing stuff good enough to listen to becomes a chore. But seriously Pink Floyd or Sarah Mclachlan singing Angel was freaking mind blowing.

#92 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I joined AVS in 2002 (was a member at Home Theater Forum before that). I have over 13k posts at AVS. I've been extremely non-active there for the last two years. Why? Because I found this new hobby that is more addicting than any that I've ever had. Care to guess what it is?

Couldn't agree more. I'm huge on the hard buttons as well, and largely for that reason I'm in the URC camp.

Another AVS alumni....Don't remember how many posts I had, but it was a crap ton. I fully automated my home, was a pioneer in the CQC development (wrote many of the device drivers), and built a home theater following Dennis Erskine's formula. I haven't posted there in probably 2+ years, but I still get PMs time to time asking about HA advice.

#93 11 years ago

That MX-500 was game changer ...

I agree. The introduction of the MX-500 was a pivotal moment in the history of remotes. IIRC, someone even designed a really cool device that allowed you to program it via a PC. I never owned an MX-500. I did, however, have a Marantz RC2000, which I believe was the first remote with programmable buttons flanking a screen (see photo). After the RC2000, I upgraded to an MX-700, and I haven't bought a non-URC remote since. I currently have three MX-900s, two MX-880s, and an MX-980.

Marantz_RC2000.jpgMarantz_RC2000.jpg

#94 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I currently have three MX-900s, two MX-880s, and an MX-980.

I thought the point of having a remote like that is so you have everything on one.

#95 11 years ago
    Quoted from HFK:

gweempose said:

I currently have three MX-900s, two MX-880s, and an MX-980.

I thought the point of having a remote like that is so you have everything on one.

1 for the family room system, 1 for the master bedroom, 1 for the basement theater etc

#96 11 years ago
    Quoted from viper001:

Kyle....watch out...pretty soon you'll be installing LED's and checking out the pinball mod's threads

#97 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

After the RC2000, I upgraded to an MX-700, and I haven't bought a non-URC remote since.

I still have my MX-700 and love it!

There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/an-interesting-take-on-the-future-of-pinside/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.