(Topic ID: 32914)

An interesting take on the future of Pinside ...

By gweempose

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 97 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by RobT
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Marantz_RC2000.jpg
    SNSD_Sexy_Sailor_Girls_Wallpaper.jpg
    Abbey_Road.jpg
    images.jpg
    tumblr_m0cdbrqqfb1rqfhi2o1_500.gif
    popcorn.gif

There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #3 11 years ago

Here we go

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

#4 11 years ago

LMAO! Im in with ya.

#5 11 years ago

All the guys from VA must love a train wreck.

#7 11 years ago

This just in... Pinside.com may not be here in 50 years. Every man for himself!

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

This just in... Pinside.com may not be here in 50 years. Every man for himself!

...or even past next Friday.

Post edited by gweempose

#10 11 years ago

I bet Robin is healthier and younger than those guys in that thread.

I think they might die before RGP becomes popular again. I think its hilarious that people who already hate the site are sitting back discussing its death as membership keeps growing.

tumblr_m0cdbrqqfb1rqfhi2o1_500.giftumblr_m0cdbrqqfb1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

All the guys from VA must love a train wreck.

???

#13 11 years ago

I'm just laughing at the great .GIFs

Keep 'em coming!

Later,
    EV

#15 11 years ago

Just an observation that all the early responses came from VA.

#16 11 years ago

MJ with popcorn is my favorite!

#17 11 years ago

I think he's writing from a flawed premise.

First off he views moderation as a negative. But I'd wager that Pinside has grown precisely because of the more positive tone here. And secondly, just viewing the heart icons it seems many members have volunteered to contribute financially to the site. I did and it wasn't because Robin asked. I fact I don't remember him asking at all.

Though maybe there should be a plan of succession.

Viva El Pinside!

#19 11 years ago

That link led me to a Google old new groups page?????

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from jrrdw:

That link led me to a Google old new groups page?????

For some reason the link won't copy correctly. You have to cut and paste the whole thing.

#22 11 years ago

well, jalousy does things like that!

here is a much better place, they know it and they can't do a damn thing about it, their losing more and more peoples, so... they will try anything but it wont work.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Apparently, Pinside already has one foot in the grave ...

The original post is bait. If you want to start a discussion, offer your opinion. Otherwise you're just trolling. Pretty weak when it comes from a moderator. Way to set an example.

Forget what the poster on RGP is ranting about. He obviously hasn't spent much time here. Usenet has been around for more than 30 years now. RGP about 20 years. I'm not sure how long pinside has been around, but odds suggest it won't last 20 years. Based on that, I think his prediction that RGP will outlast pinside is conceivable. I could be wrong.

#25 11 years ago

When i read the post, Gollum's voice was narrating it for some reason...

#26 11 years ago

#28 11 years ago

Wow, trolling by a moderator. That's a first. Plus editing the post from what it said an hour ago.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

Wow, trolling by a moderator. That's a first. Plus editing the post from what it said an hour ago.

What did it say before??

#31 11 years ago

To put some perspective on this (Pinside - not the 18 year old) - I joined here a couple years ago. At that time, we would be lucky to have 50 to 75 people on-line. Just nine months ago, Pinside started to explode, and I posted a thread about how there were 140 members on-line! http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/140-members-on-line

Just checking now - there's over 300 members on-line. I'd say a 300% increase in participation in less than a years time is agood sign that Pinside isn't going away any time soon.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

The original post is bait. If you want to start a discussion, offer your opinion. Otherwise you're just trolling.

Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

This was not meant to be a trolling. I originally used the RGP thread as a segue to discuss what would happen to Pinside if something happened to Robin. It was then pointed out to me that the fact that I had linked to the RGP thread could possibly overshadow an otherwise innocuous discussion. I realized my mistake, and decided to make a second dedicated thread about the future of Pinside. I then went ahead and edited my original post, leaving just the first part. I didn't edit it in order to paint myself in a better light or skew the truth, but I understand how my intentions could be misconstrued if you came in after the fact. For the record, I find the thread on RGP to be quite interesting (thus the title of this thread). That's why I decided to keep this thread instead of deleting it. I thought my comment about "one foot in the grave" was funny, but apparently I was the only one laughing.

#34 11 years ago

So what has happened to Robin - for those of us that don't know? Is there a thread somewhere?

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

So what has happened to Robin - for those of us that don't know? Is there a thread somewhere?

Sorry. I should have posted a link to the new thread:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-become-of-pinside-if-something-happens-to-robin

Nothing has happened to Robin (at least to my knowledge). It was all hypothetical.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

Bear Attack? Beaten in front of a dashcam? Tampon Vodka overdose? Something Russian. Wait he's Russian or in Russia right? <---Oh Dutchland....don;t know what the issues are up there.

#37 11 years ago

You left out Butt Chugging

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

You left out Butt Chugging

Fair enough!

#39 11 years ago

FYI, I just moved some posts over to the other thread. There were some quotes referencing posts that had already been moved, and it made the thread a bit disjointed. Sorry for the confusion. We should be good to go now.

#40 11 years ago

I thought it was funny gweem...I think the guy left out a potential evolution of Pinside into an even more open format as a possibility. With new open source web developing continuing to evolve, and the way Robin and his bro keep changing, I could see them making it even more public than it is now. The whole site could end up in the hands of "the pinball community" or something like that. Something along those lines would make the pinside perpetual as long as there were pinheads. same as rgp

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

I think the guy left out a potential evolution of Pinside into an even more open format as a possibility ... The whole site could end up in the hands of "the pinball community" ...

That's an interesting take on it, rommy. See, I knew I kept this thread open for a reason.

#42 11 years ago

I like the people on Pinside but at the end of the day the thing that makes Pinside MUCH more appealing to me is the overall user friendlyness of it when it comes to posting YouTube vids, pics, finding previous posts e.t.c.

+ I simply hate the new Google Groups setup

#43 11 years ago

Wow. I just read Kyle's prediction and I don't know what to say...

-snip-
    "Here is my prediction of the future of the Pinside forum, and why RGP will still
    be around long after it dies. And it will die."
    -snip-

I don't know Kyle and I don't think he knows me, but he sure sounds bitter. Maybe we should have a beer sometimes, if he ever visits the Netherlands or I visit the States.

-snip-
    Eventually the forum owner will either grow tired of pinball in general, or more
    specifically will grow tired of the costs associated with domain name
    registration and hosting of the forum. That will lead to the next step:
    The owner will then look to his faithful constituents for donations to help
    defray the costs of hosting the site. There will be a nice surge of donations
    from the very beginning, but they will trickle off over a very short period of
    time. The owner will become disillusioned that the legions of people that use
    his site are selfish and will not give of their cash to pay for it's expenses.
    -snip-

Frankly, the only one who sounds tired here is Kyle.

I am 34 years old and the Pinside has been great hobby for the past 10 years (wow, almost 1/3 of my life not that I? think of it)! I'm pretty sure that as long as there are thousands of people logging in each month, we should be able to cough up the $100 monthly fee for hosting. Will I ever grow tired of maintaining the Pinside? Who knows? Maybe I'll move to Alaska and live in the wild...

You know, I'm happy Kyle thinks ahead and reminded me to check my domain name renewal but other than that I'm not sure what the purpose of his post is? Again, Kyle, let's have a beer someday in the future and toast to the existing of both RGP and Pinside as well as dozens of other cool pinball sites to visit!

#44 11 years ago

Keep up the good work Robin...happy to make another donation anytime it's needed.

#45 11 years ago

donations are supposed to be thanks for efforts (adding features, modding trolls, etc). It's not like Robin is charging a membership fee here. How is this any different than going into a museum where they have a recommended donation? I'm sure those guys would be like "What? you want more money?! My taxes pay for this place!"

And regarding who was first, I'm willing to bet even before usenet there was some dial-up BBS pinball board.. seriously who cares who was first, what matters is what's now

#46 11 years ago

I have been part of a few thriving forum communities. Aside from AVSForum they all eventually died. Various reasons of course but the big loss would be the stored knowledge that was shared.

While i dont think Pinside is going anywhere anytime soon, things happen and IF they did would be sad to see the knowledge found in the site go away for future generations. Like it or not, RGP doesnt work that way and all those helpful posts are there forever (probably)

#47 11 years ago

Nothing lasts. Enjoy while you can. Live in the now. Pinball rocks!

#48 11 years ago

Jealousy can be an ugly beast.

Pinside is hands down the best place for pinball on the web. There are smaller regional discussion boards, but pinside is the mother ship.

#49 11 years ago

Gotta agree with this..
    Look what KLOV did to RGVAC...that group is averaging a post every other day. 10 years ago it was crazy there.

RGP will have the same fate...give it a couple years (maybe sooner) and there will be about 5 posts a day from the diehards...and Frank

Quoted from krupa:

I think he's writing from a flawed premise.
    First off he views moderation as a negative. But I'd wager that Pinside has grown precisely because of the more positive tone here. And secondly, just viewing the heart icons it seems many members have volunteered to contribute financially to the site. I did and it wasn't because Robin asked. I fact I don't remember him asking at all.
    Though maybe there should be a plan of succession.
    Viva El Pinside!

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

I like the people on Pinside but at the end of the day the thing that makes Pinside MUCH more appealing to me is the overall user friendlyness of it when it comes to posting YouTube vids, pics, finding previous posts e.t.c.
    + I simply hate the new Google Groups setup

Thank you!
    Software and hosting costs money and you get something in return. It's a better user interface. I don't want to use a usenet reader anymore than I want to use a 90s email client or buy a tv without a remote.

There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/an-interesting-take-on-the-future-of-pinside and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.