Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by kcZ
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

meter (resized).png
    DC377059-454C-49D0-A088-804DFF73DBB2 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20210915_003847867 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210915_003832706 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210914_022429321 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210914_022106559 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210914_022052201 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

What do you figure this is? Looks like an hour meter to me but more importantly, how do I get rid of it?

Wiring looks like appliance wire but it connects to the harness as shown. That red and purple wire (harness side) looks legit. Where should it go?

Little black box was screwed inside the cabinet near the coin box. But that connector went all the way up into the backbox.

This is a Roadshow that I'm restoring.

PXL_20210914_022052201 (resized).jpgPXL_20210914_022052201 (resized).jpgPXL_20210914_022106559 (resized).jpgPXL_20210914_022106559 (resized).jpgPXL_20210914_022429321 (resized).jpgPXL_20210914_022429321 (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

It's a game counter (or a coin counter) either way it is/was used by operators to know how many games had been played or how many coins had been put through the machine mainly for accounting purposes.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

It's a game counter (or a coin counter) either way it is/was used by operators to know how many games had been played or how many coins had been put through the machine mainly for accounting purposes.

What do I do with the harness side of the wiring?
    That's a lot of plays and/or quarters!

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

You can just zip tie it out of the way, or tuck back with one of the harness hooks.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

Unplug the meter. Cable tie the other into something where it doesn't hurt anything.

Quoted from kcZ:

Not necessarily. May have been in many games, that wiring isn't factory. And you usually don't start those on zero. So an employee can't reset it easily and add credits. It would take a long time to run up a high number.

LTG : )

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

You can just zip tie it out of the way, or tuck back with one of the harness hooks.

I want to remove it with no trace. Is the harness side supposed to connect to something? It looks rather legit. The harness is wrapped just past the connector.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

I want to remove it with no trace. Is the harness side supposed to connect to something?

Cut the cable ties and follow the wires. See where it goes, post a picture of that.

Quoted from kcZ:

It looks rather legit.

They did a better job on that than on the other side on the meter.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

I want to remove it with no trace. Is the harness side supposed to connect to something? It looks rather legit. The harness is wrapped just past the connector.

The harness side is likely legit, many games supported counters as it was a popular tool. I would get rid of everything after the harness connector for sure, but leave the connector tied off out of the way.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

The harness side is likely legit, many games supported counters as it was a popular tool.

If it was a reimport, it may have had a counter. Though not the one in your picture.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

If it was a reimport, it may have had a counter. Though not the one in your picture.

Yeah the counter itself is definitely not from that game, I’m just thinking the connector is original based on the wire being wrapped in what appears like a factory location label…. But I didn’t think about re-import, yeah that could make it different.

Btw… what game is this? Never-mind I suck at reading: Roadshow

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

Btw… what game is this? Never-mind I suck at reading: Roadshow

I'd really be thinking reimport than.

Leave the wiring. It's factory.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I'd really be thinking reimport than.
    Leave the wiring. It's factory.

My vote too.

Actually… it may go to the knocker. It was apparently an option to use that circuit for a counter. I would connect a knocker back to it and adjust the settings to put it back in knocker mode:

A.3 21
    Coin Meter Units
    It is possible to connect a coin meter to the knocker coil driver which will log all coins through all slots. This adjustment activates the use of the knocker driver for this purpose, and determines the value of each unit on the meter. For example, to show the total amount of money collected as "total quarters", set this adjustment to "0.25". To show the amount of money collected as "total dollars", set this adjustment to "1.00".

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

What do you figure this is? Looks like an hour meter to me but more importantly, how do I get rid of it?
    Wiring looks like appliance wire but it connects to the harness as shown. That red and purple wire (harness side) looks legit. Where should it go?
    Little black box was screwed inside the cabinet near the coin box. But that connector went all the way up into the backbox.
    This is a Roadshow that I'm restoring.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I’m surprised you’ve been in the hobby for so long and haven’t come across a coin meter before!
    Don’t get so obsessed with cutting and removing it all. Just tie it out of the way. MANY MANY operators used these to hard a “hard copy” of the audits. I’m finally being taught the secrets by an old school operator of 40+ years

Note: even brand new Stern’s STILL allow you to hook up coin counters to them off the bill validator line.

Quoted from LTG:

Not necessarily. May have been in many games, that wiring isn't factory. And you usually don't start those on zero. So an employee can't reset it easily and add credits. It would take a long time to run up a high number.

Operators have lots of clever uses for coin meters. I’m blown away by the stuff he can figure out from just a couple numbers. It’s amazing.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I’m surprised you’ve been in the hobby for so long and haven’t come across a coin meter before!
    Don’t get so obsessed with cutting and removing it all. Just tie it out of the way. MANY MANY operators used these to hard a “hard copy” of the audits. I’m finally being taught the secrets by an old school operator of 40+ years
    Note: even brand new Stern’s STILL allow you to hook up coin counters to them off the bill validator line.

Operators have lots of clever uses for coin meters. I’m blown away by the stuff he can figure out from just a couple numbers. It’s amazing.

Out of curiosity, what's the point of installing a play meeter when the machine counts coin drops in the audits?
    Was there an issue where operators had multiple people that had keys to the games and would delete play counts to steel quarters?

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Out of curiosity, what's the point of installing a play meeter when the machine counts coin drops in the audits?
    Was there an issue where operators had multiple people that had keys to the games and would delete play counts to steel quarters?

Audits can pretty easily be reset or wiped. Meters take a bit more ingenuity and a lot of time to beat!

#16 2 years ago

In Finland, and probably some other European countries also, mechanical non-resettable coin counters are mandatory, although I have never heard of any inspections.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

In some localities hard wired meters are required by law. In areas where they are not required, operators may choose to install meters on their own. Here are some reasons for doing so:

Ram chips on cpu board corrupted.

Batteries for ram chips died or run down too low.

CPU board had to be replaced for some reason.

Location doesn't have power turned on to outlets machines are plugged into yet when operator's routemen show up to collect. Sometimes outlets are on a timer.

Cheating operator's employee zeroing out audits on machine and skimming money.

A hard wired total play meter is like an odometer in a car. It gives a person an idea of how many true "miles" are on a particular pinball machine over it's entire life regardless if the batteries died or the audits got reset. Stern and other pinball machine manufacturers still provide optional coin meter hookups in the machine itself or provide a meter kit you can install yourself.

#18 2 years ago

I do believe the harness side is original. I don't believe it is a re-import tho. Definitely heavily routed.

PXL_20210915_003832706 (resized).jpgPXL_20210915_003832706 (resized).jpgPXL_20210915_003847867 (resized).jpgPXL_20210915_003847867 (resized).jpg
    #19 2 years ago

Yes, definitely original. You can either tie off or connect to a knocker which should mount somewhere nearby if it was removed…. If the knocker is still there, just plug it in and check the manual for what setting you need to use the circuit for the knocker…. Or if you don’t like knockers, there is probably an off setting, or just leave it unplugged. If you don’t have a knocker and want one, eBay, swap meet, buy new, etc.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

Yes, definitely original. You can either tie off or connect to a knocker which should mount somewhere nearby if it was removed…. If the knocker is still there, just plug it in and check the manual for what setting you need to use the circuit for the knocker…. Or if you don’t like knockers, there is probably an off setting, or just leave it unplugged. If you don’t have a knocker and want one, eBay, swap meet, buy new, etc.

I love knockers!!! Who doesn't

See, this is why I posted this topic. It does look like a connector for a knocker. Assuming this is for a knocker, is it a software change to reconfigure for a knocker or did they jump some wires?

#21 2 years ago

This is what an hour meter looks like.

DC377059-454C-49D0-A088-804DFF73DBB2 (resized).jpegDC377059-454C-49D0-A088-804DFF73DBB2 (resized).jpeg
    #22 2 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

This is what an hour meter looks like.
    [quoted image]

I would have called that a watch... Good to know.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

I love knockers!!! Who doesn't
    See, this is why I posted this topic. It does look like a connector for a knocker. Assuming this is for a knocker, is it a software change to reconfigure for a knocker or did they jump some wires?

Post #12

#24 2 years ago

And I thought this post was about the QR code allowing people to buy gameplay, "By the Hour".

#25 2 years ago

Not sure how I missed that.... Thanks!

#26 2 years ago

No, THIS is an hour meter:

meter (resized).pngmeter (resized).png
    #27 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

No, THIS is an hour meter:[quoted image]

These are good for small home generators.
    -Mike

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

It does look like a connector for a knocker. Assuming this is for a knocker, is it a software change to reconfigure for a knocker or did they jump some wires?

On WPC games, they use dip switches to change that setting.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from Shogun00:

On WPC games, they use dip switches to change that setting.

Thanks. Not being by the game right now, I did a quick search and found this rather interesting post.

https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/missing-knocker-functionality-roadshow.36741/

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/an-hour-meter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.