Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 166 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

purple pinside (resized).jpg
    image-placeholder-title (resized).jpg
    eec2c3d25e9d26e3eecb6215eeb34b763797c248 (resized).png
    IMG_4078 (resized).jpg
    mona lisa (resized).jpg
    7F756B47-1C60-49F3-99D1-10C687E2DE6F (resized).jpeg
    D00238BB-C843-4F1E-8ACE-41D74FC64863 (resized).jpeg
    BE50DE70-CEA7-4CCC-A80E-EDDF9E516F79 (resized).png
    99D6AD32-A55E-4FF5-B49E-C08E0C130989 (resized).jpeg
    90520E7F-2F9E-4AF0-98B5-A678C0EFAD0E (resized).jpeg
    51f876108cf62ec0ed7952d417276ee7e475de95 (resized).jpg
    Untitled (resized).png
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    rs=w_1200,h_1200 (resized).jpg
    s-l400 (resized).jpg
    tz_gumballs_300x300 (resized).jpg
    There are 166 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 2 years ago

I'm sorry about breaking the (pin) balls of the The Clown Puke Posse.

Let me make it up to you.

Right now on ebay you can buy this Hook LED kit for only $150!! Go git it!! (seriously, it's on ebay right now.)

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg
    #102 2 years ago

Seriously, how did this get to be a "thing"?

Not just something that you see once in a while, but literally taking over the hobby? And people are PAYING $150+ to do it.

I'm sorry, it's bizarre.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png
    #103 2 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

High Speed before and after. The back glass is faded but you get the idea. New glass is in the way.
    Before
    [quoted image]
    After
    [quoted image]

hooo gah

that is one faded translite

#104 2 years ago
    51f876108cf62ec0ed7952d417276ee7e475de95 (resized).jpg51f876108cf62ec0ed7952d417276ee7e475de95 (resized).jpg
    #105 2 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

hooo gah
    that is one faded translite

It's actually silkscreened glass. But a replacement is on the way! Woohoo!

#107 2 years ago

Nothing screams "I am a Drama Queen" like a good rant thread about 'clown puke'.

I don't do clown puke (not since 2015), but what people do to their pins has zero impact on my happiness.

#108 2 years ago
    Quoted from PersonX99:

Nothing screams "I am a Drama Queen" like a good rant thread about 'clown puke'.
    I don't do clown puke (not since 2015), but what people do to their pins has zero impact on my happiness.

nothing screams drama queen like a good rant about someone else's rant

this logic cuts in all directions

#109 2 years ago
    Quoted from PersonX99:

until you have to TRY and play one in league or a major tournament. If I never ran into these piles of shit in the wild, it would be no big deal. Problem is, one feeds another newb and they start showing up everywhere, and end up in places they should never be.

#110 2 years ago
    Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Genuine question... why do people give a shit what others do to their pins? I'm not into clown puke at all, but if someone chooses to do that to their own pin, where's the issue?

The problem is they try to sell it that way. Go see the waterworld that was just listed for an example

#111 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

The problem is they try to sell it that way. Go see the waterworld that was just listed for an example

Oh come on, you weren't going to buy a Waterworld anyway. If you buy the game, you deserve the puke.

#112 2 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

I'm shopping for another pin and it occurred to me that there is a 50-50 chance that I'm going to have to replace the LEDs in any pin I get, because Clown Puke has basically taken over the hobby.

50-50??? Way too low! I’m finding it closer to 90% of games I get need work on the lights in some way. On some games, I go back to incandescent bulbs. Sometimes I leave less offensive LEDs in the game, but anything shining in my eyes, old tech (flickering), or basically unseeable all get yanked. I just factor new bulbs into the cost of the game.

And what do I do with the LEDs I pull out? Right in the trash bin. They won’t hurt people anymore.

#113 2 years ago

What's annoying about your thread is that some people find putting LED's in their game as a way of creative expression, and here you have started a thread with the sole purpose of mocking them. You think you are being funny but you're really just being a jerk.

#114 2 years ago

Why not use it to your advantage as a bargaining chip.

"I'll have to deduct $200 to replace all these LEDs so the ball can be seen".

If enough people do that, then they'll realize they're devaluing their machines.

Good news is, its not a permanent change and pretty easily returned back to normal.

And you get a good feeling knowing that you are bringing that machine back to looking how it should. A sense of accomplishment.

#115 2 years ago

To put this all into perspective, millions of people watched Friends and Everybody Loves Raymond. On purpose. TV news and Applebees are still immensely popular.

Clown puke is inevitable in this awful timeline.

#116 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

What's annoying about your thread is that some people find putting LED's in their game as a way of creative expression, and here you have started a thread with the sole purpose of mocking them. You think you are being funny but you're really just being a jerk.

Are you suggesting we shouldn't criticize any creative endeavors on this forum? That would probably cut down on about 95% of our posts.

#117 2 years ago

I don’t know what your saying. These are sexy!!

7F756B47-1C60-49F3-99D1-10C687E2DE6F (resized).jpeg7F756B47-1C60-49F3-99D1-10C687E2DE6F (resized).jpeg90520E7F-2F9E-4AF0-98B5-A678C0EFAD0E (resized).jpeg90520E7F-2F9E-4AF0-98B5-A678C0EFAD0E (resized).jpeg99D6AD32-A55E-4FF5-B49E-C08E0C130989 (resized).jpeg99D6AD32-A55E-4FF5-B49E-C08E0C130989 (resized).jpegBE50DE70-CEA7-4CCC-A80E-EDDF9E516F79 (resized).pngBE50DE70-CEA7-4CCC-A80E-EDDF9E516F79 (resized).pngD00238BB-C843-4F1E-8ACE-41D74FC64863 (resized).jpegD00238BB-C843-4F1E-8ACE-41D74FC64863 (resized).jpeg
    #118 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

actually. GI lighting isn't an area you can be creative. It has the most important function in a pinball machine just under the flippers themselves. The purpose, is to illuminate the playfield so you can see the ball. If you put COLOR here. You can't see shit. Plain and simple. if you can't see, you can't play. Human eye has trouble focusing in colored light. The farther out towards the edges of the visible spectrum you go. The harder it is for people to see, and the less distance the light travels.

#119 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballboy:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

actually. Excalibur is done correctly. All the GI's are white. That is what is important. The others are dogshit and would be impossible to play in a dark gameroom.

#120 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballboy:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Excalibur is nicely lit!

#121 2 years ago

I get a lot of complements on Excalibur for lighting and condition…

#122 2 years ago

I don’t see why the others are bad. They play good and I can see them easily in the dark with that lighting.

#123 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballboy:

I don’t see why the others are bad. They play good and I can see them easily in the dark with that lighting.

I'm not a fan, but it helps that those Gottlieb tables have the dim fluorescent light in the backbox. A bright backbox paired with a color-bombed playfield makes the game super difficult to see.

#124 2 years ago

My God those Gottleib's are ugly. Regardless of LED's

#125 2 years ago
    Quoted from Elicash:

My God those Gottleib's are ugly. Regardless of LED's

Stfu, there is no such thing as a bad pinball machine and especially not my gottliebs.

#126 2 years ago

As a young adult in the mid 2000s, blue LEDs were super cool. Why would I mod my gaming computer with a white led??

I assume it was a similar thought for pinball.

It’s kinda like the rgb trend going around now. All of the components have the control to make your system just like puke stadium

#127 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballboy:

Stfu, there is no such thing as a bad pinball machine and especially not my gottliebs.

Well, I guess thats a good point. Any pinball is good pinball. But, maaan....

#128 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballboy:

I think you have a cool collection, but if you can't accept there are bad games, nobody is going to convince you there's bad lighting either.

#129 2 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Are you suggesting we shouldn't criticize any creative endeavors on this forum? That would probably cut down on about 95% of our posts.

You are not criticizing them, you are outwardly mocking and insulting them. Referring to the modifications they spent time and money on and probably enjoyed doing and took some pride in, by labeling their work as "clown puke." and posting condescendingly towards them. You are welcome to your opinions but you are posting pictures of peoples games that they may recognize and trying to publicly shame them because what they like doesn't match with what you like. The resounding tone of this thread is mean spirited.

#130 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

You are not criticizing them, you are outwardly mocking and insulting them. Referring to the modifications they spent time and money on and probably enjoyed doing and took some pride in, by labeling their work as "clown puke." and posting condescendingly towards them. You are welcome to your opinions but you are posting pictures of peoples games that they may recognize and trying to publicly shame them because what they like doesn't match with what you like. The resounding tone of this thread is mean spirited.

Ok, so what would constructive criticism look like to you?

If I went to an art museum, let's say the Louvre, and all their paintings were illuminated by different color lights, would it not be correct to say "Wow, that lighting is horrible! I can't see the painting's detail"? Should every effort and financial endeavor be rewarded with praise?
    mona lisa (resized).jpgmona lisa (resized).jpg

#131 2 years ago

I saw a clown puke once...I miss my Dad.

#132 2 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

But that's kind of boring, just making the red color POP.
    Let's make it purple! So purple that you can barely tell what it is!
    We have achieved MAXIMUM COLOR POPPAGE!!
    [quoted image]

If your goal was to burn out my eyeballs, agenda achieved. I almost went blind looking at those Ferrari pics.

#133 2 years ago

Sometimes people have ugly babies. It's not polite to tell the parents that their baby is ugly. But you can have massive conversations with everyone else about the ugly baby you saw.

#134 2 years ago

We should have a whole thread on the subject

#135 2 years ago
    Quoted from unclerudy:

Sometimes people have ugly babies. It's not polite to tell the parents that their baby is ugly. But you can have massive conversations with everyone else about the ugly baby you saw.

That’s how I feel with my machines…

#136 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballboy:

That’s how I feel with my machines…

Substitute "baby" with "whatever".

#137 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballboy:

Wait. Those are yours and you were being serious?

#138 2 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Wait. Those are yours and you were being serious?

Yeah… what about it?

#139 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballboy:

Yeah… what about it?

Are you a big Premier fan, or get a heck of a deal on them, or what? I think they're fun and quirky, I just don't come across them often - so seeing someone with 4 of them, and only Premier titles is quite rare! If I had money and space, I'd love to have a few of them.

#140 2 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Are you a big Premier fan, or get a heck of a deal on them, or what? I think they're fun and quirky, I just don't come across them often - so seeing someone with 4 of them, and only Premier titles is quite rare! If I had money and space, I'd love to have a few of them.

Yeah I love the 80bs. I love the sounds the gameplay and the weird layouts and rulesets. I do have a triple action but want to sell to get money for another system 80b or newer Williams.

#141 2 years ago
    Quoted from thekiyote:

A few things, first, I like the paint job on that house and I would prefer to see a street of them than the cookie cutter stuff I usually see.

You would like the Columbia Tusculum neighborhood in Cincinnati

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.113453,-84.4360912,3a,75y,118.33h,79.94t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXgO8qZfzEBaA1vNHKgEn2Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

#142 2 years ago

Only thing worse than clown puke is buying dolls to glue into your machine.

#143 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Only thing worse than clown puke is buying dolls to glue into your machine.

Yeah that’s weird…

#144 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballboy:

Yeah… what about it?

apparently, your gameroom isn't almost black like most of ours is. Or there is no way you would be able to see the ball on any of those games (exception to excalibur). We have taken games out of league with LED jobs like that, because NOBODY could see the ball good enough to play.

#145 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballboy:

Yeah… what

Yeah… what about it?

Honestly, I thought you were being sarcastic and posting some examples of clown puke.

Nothing wrong with those titles though. All pins are cool.

#146 2 years ago

I do. We have a few neighborhoods like that here in Chicago. I'd love to live there, but truth be told, I couldn’t come close to affording it.

#147 2 years ago

Entertaining thread.

#148 2 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

The Cirqus Voltare I bought has LEDs in it that are so bright that it hurts your eyes to play it. It's lit up like an airport doing night landings.

But were they at least clown puke LEDs or just bright?

If there’s one pin that should have clown puke LEDs, it’s Circus Voltaire. They would go really well with [Clownvoice] “The Boom Marvel is yours. ClownChuckle!”

#149 2 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

until you have to TRY and play one in league or a major tournament. If I never ran into these piles of shit in the wild, it would be no big deal. Problem is, one feeds another newb and they start showing up everywhere, and end up in places they should never be.

You mean like this? INDISC tourney pins I'm told. WTF were they thinking?
    IMG_4078 (resized).jpgIMG_4078 (resized).jpg

#150 2 years ago

Im half blind from the picture!

How NOT to light a game....

There are 166 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/an-explanation-of-why-clown-puke-leds-are-bad/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.