Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 195 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 54 days ago by MarkG
  • Topic is favorited by 81 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

coin mech (resized).jpg
    IMG_1233 (resized).JPG
    2020-06-09 08.52.41.jpg
    20200606_175545 (resized).jpg
    There are 195 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 4 years ago

I'd like to announce that the inaugural EM Pinball Online Repair clinic will be held tomorrow, Monday April 13. This will be a video conference where a few experienced technicians field questions from EM pinball owners about specific problems they're having with their games. We'll try to troubleshoot and diagnose problems live. Since this will be an experiment for all of us participation will be limited. Details and instructions on how to participate are at https://www.funwithpinball.com/learn/EM-pinball-online-repair-clinic. If things go well there may be more in the future.

/Mark

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

I'd like to announce that the inaugural EM Pinball Online Repair clinic will be held tomorrow, Monday April 13. This will be a video conference where a few experienced technicians field questions from EM pinball owners about specific problems they're having with their games. We'll try to troubleshoot and diagnose problems live. Since this will be an experiment for all of us participation will be limited. Details and instructions on how to participate are at https://www.funwithpinball.com/learn/Online-EM-pinball-repair-clinic. If things go well there may be more in the future.
    /Mark

Very cool program. Thank you!

#4 4 years ago

I love this concept. As a very novice EM owner, I won’t be requesting an invite, as based on the description under the “request and invite” it appears it’s geared a bit towards people who have specific problems and are willing to show why they’ve tried already, etc. But I’m wondering if there will be a “view only” option planned for future sessions... or if the session will be available on YouTube or something later for people who are just trying to increase their general EM repair knowledge.

Edit: I read the page linked again and do see that Observers is one of the categories of participants. I might send an email request after all.

#5 4 years ago

Yes we need observers as well as owners! Gotta get you into one of these sessions, Mr. A-League!

#6 4 years ago

Any chance any of the technicians would take a crack at a ball bowler? Game powers on and scores but won’t advance frame or player.

#7 4 years ago

I sent an e-mail about a nagging problem with my Williams Lady Luck. It won't award an extra ball and bonus points for 21 card points, but only on player one. I've done some trouble shooting, but it would be good to have feedback. It works find on Player 2. Very specific problem, just not one I can solve yet.

I'll be listening in regardless.

LTR

#8 4 years ago

I like this idea! I'm willing to offer my experience as a coach if you are interested. I run the Chattanooga Pinball Museum. It should be a great way to spread knowledge and exchange ideas.

#9 4 years ago

This is an awesome idea! I am having some trouble with the functionality of a bally AAB kit in a 1967 bally surfers. I haven’t exhausted my hope of figuring it out myself yet though, but it could be a nice candidate for a future clinic if/once I get too frustrated.. I’ll be shooting a request to be an observer for this round. Thanks guys!

#10 4 years ago

signed up as an owner. hope to get expert eyes on my GTB 300 start up issue.
    Motor board in on the bench. Have camera in hand and schematic near by.

#11 4 years ago

Great idea, Mark!

Hopefully I'll be able to participate for the next one and help coach some folks.

#12 4 years ago

This is awesome. Would love to participate as an Observer. I've owned a few EMs in the past and have needed to do work on all of them. My latest was a non-working Ship Ahoy that I was able to bring back to life, but I would still love to learn more. Sending a request as soon as I can confirm on my home laptop!

#13 4 years ago

I have a prior commitment at this time...will the clinic be available for viewing on replay after it is over?

#14 4 years ago

This was a great success! Thanks to everyone who participated, and especially MarkG for putting this together!

#15 4 years ago

Great chatting with everyone & it was fun. Let's do it again sometime soon.

#16 4 years ago

Thanks to everyone who participated. I think the experiment was a success.

If this is going to sprout wings and take off on its own it'll probably need some help at some point. In particular I'd like to find a few more experienced coaches willing to lend some time and maybe one or two willing to help with the signup logistics. It would be nice to have a rotating panel of coaches to distribute the load. If you're interested you can reach me through the link in the first note.

#17 4 years ago

I thought that went very well for its first run through. Also cool seeing what everyone looks like!! Camera and mike on order for the next one.

#18 4 years ago

Did you end up with any observers? I applied but never got a reply.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Did you end up with any observers? I applied but never got a reply.

Sorry about that. Yes we had observers too. There were many more requests than we could accommodate or even acknowledge. The sign up process is a little clunky and could use some improvement.

#20 4 years ago

was the session recorded for people to watch? Would love to view it.

#21 4 years ago

Hi MarkG,

I'd be very interested in participating in a future session as an Owner with a specific problem.

I've got a 1976 Gottlieb Surf Champ with a challenging scoring problem. I'm a relative newbie, but I've had some significant expert help and we've not been able to resolve the issue, so I'd really appreciate working with your team of experts.

The specific issue concerns the machine scoring excess points (e.g. 600 pts or 700 pts) on 500 point targets (all players). The issue happens around 50% of the time a 500 pt. target is hit (e.g. repeating a target might generate 600, 600, 500, 700, 500, 500, etc.).

We've been studying the schematic, checking the relevant relays, jumping some circuits, etc. to no avail.

I've got Jit.si capability, the machine in an open, well lit space, with all necessary tools and testing equipment present.

Please keep me posted for any future sessions that you think I'd be a good candidate for. Thanks!

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from lint:

was the session recorded for people to watch? Would love to view it.

I tried but it didn't turn out well. Pilot error I think. There is some interest in the video and it may happen eventually but it's a little early to make promises. There are still a few details to sort out in addition to the video and some other ideas to try. It'll take a few attempts to get up on two wheels but I think we'll get there.

#23 4 years ago

The next online repair clinic is scheduled for Thursday April 23. The request deadline is the day before.
    https://www.funwithpinball.com/learn/EM-pinball-online-repair-clinic

#24 4 years ago

Does a 2 megapixel cam with good lighting provide a sufficient image ?

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from zaphod:

Sorry, I have no idea. It's worth a try.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from zaphod:

It should be decent enough.

#27 4 years ago

I signed up as an observer, but have the repair skills to keep all my em's going; but it never hurts to learn from others, thanks for putting this together

#28 4 years ago

Great idea Mark! What a cool way for people to get online help and others to see some troubleshooting.

#29 4 years ago

Sounds like a great idea! I missed the first one, but hopefully I'll be accepted as an observer for the second tomorrow.

#30 4 years ago

I'm assuming since I haven't heard anything about being accepted as an observer, that I didn't make the cut? It's Thursday, 7PM EST now.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aper-caper:

Hi MarkG,
    I'd be very interested in participating in a future session as an Owner with a specific problem.
    I've got a 1976 Gottlieb Surf Champ with a challenging scoring problem. I'm a relative newbie, but I've had some significant expert help and we've not been able to resolve the issue, so I'd really appreciate working with your team of experts.
    The specific issue concerns the machine scoring excess points (e.g. 600 pts or 700 pts) on 500 point targets (all players). The issue happens around 50% of the time a 500 pt. target is hit (e.g. repeating a target might generate 600, 600, 500, 700, 500, 500, etc.).
    We've been studying the schematic, checking the relevant relays, jumping some circuits, etc. to no avail.
    I've got Jit.si capability, the machine in an open, well lit space, with all necessary tools and testing equipment present.
    Please keep me posted for any future sessions that you think I'd be a good candidate for. Thanks!

do you have an existing thread for your issue?

#32 4 years ago

Fun time last night - great to meet everyone and see familiar faces. Hope any suggestions I threw out there might have helped.

It would be neat if these could be archived and posted as video or audio podcasts for future folks to find. I can help someone set this up if desired.

-The other Nick

1 week later
    #34 3 years ago

A couple of firsts at the repair clinic today: troubleshooting games for folks connected from Hawaii and from Australia. Thanks to all those who attended. I also counted three Lyons Classic Pinball caps...

#35 3 years ago

Thanks for including me as an observer, Mark....I really enjoyed putting faces to the names I already know and watching how folks approach a problem in terms of troubleshooting. My internet connection wasn't quite up to snuff, so I missed alot of the audio (and video), but it was still great - thanks!

Having the schematic up on the screen while you guys thought through a problem was a big help.

#36 3 years ago

Mark - thank you hosting these and all coaches/participants for their involvement . As an observer it was all I expected. Great conversation, approaches and the live use of the schematics help me feel a little more comfortable with what I have self-taught. I will need to be an 'owner' in the near as I bring back the nine EM's that have been dormant for nearly two years during renovation. Working thru start-up issues one at a time. When I get the jumpers out is when questions arise.

Folk from all US time zones inc Maui HI and Australia -- so hard to have a time that fits us all -- thought the participation level was pretty good - it was suggested that as a wicked nice day had developed here that spring yard work might be a good use of the day but come-on , live pinball clinic beats fresh air anytime!

I had connection issues for the first half that did settle down mostly -still adjusting to covid-peak-time variations - will hard wire for the next, want those nugget's of wisdom to be clear. I hope to be a part of any clinics you get together.

Cheers

Tom

#37 3 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. It's interesting to me that some have expressed interest in attending more than one clinic. I hadn't considered that initially.

I'm thinking about letting folks sign up to get notices about upcoming clinics (or classes, workshops, road trips, exhibits, etc.) rather than looking for a note buried in a forum somewhere. I'll have to look into how to make that work.

/Mark

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

I'm thinking about letting folks sign up to get notices about upcoming clinics (or classes, workshops, road trips, exhibits, etc.) rather than looking for a note buried in a forum somewhere.

You can sign up for email notifications of upcoming clinics, etc. at
    https://www.funwithpinball.com/home/sign-up

#40 3 years ago

I plan on being a observer again. I like thinking of solving problems from a different perspective. Thanks

#41 3 years ago

Signed up. Working on a World Fair issue. Have shot some video.

Edit: My issue has been resolved. I still want to observe the clinic.

#42 3 years ago

Ugh. I discovered that the clinic request form wasn't collecting email addresses for the 5/22 clinic. I know your names but not how to reach you. Please fill out the form again at:

https://www.funwithpinball.com/learn/EM-pinball-online-repair-clinic

Sorry for the trouble.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

It's interesting to me that some have expressed interest in attending more than one clinic.

But like you said at FWPB - it's like Car Talk for pinball and the faithful listened to those pearls of wisdom long after they were gone. Or was it just me 'cuz changing the old FM dial was too much of a challenge?

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from zaphod:

But like you said at FWPB - it's like Car Talk for pinball and the faithful listened to those pearls of wisdom long after they were gone. Or was it just me 'cuz changing the old FM dial was too much of a challenge?

To me the Car Talk analogy is spot on. And is even more relevant here. With this clinic there are techniques that will surface that you can probably apply to your game whereas on Car Talk what worked on a caller's Toyota often was totally irrelevant to my Chevrolet.

#45 3 years ago

Just signed up!

Great idea.

Thanks
    Blake

#46 3 years ago

Mark, that was very interesting last night. I like how they broke down the schematics. I learned a few things. Thanks for the invite.

#47 3 years ago

Thanks again, Mark - I always learn something watching and listening to you guys break down the problems. I'll have to try mineral spirits next time I'm flushing out a gunked-up part! And I love having the schematic on-screen to follow your reasoning....helps tremendously!

Thanks for the invitation!

#48 3 years ago

Hey Mark. Jumping on the “gizmo guru“ train a little late. Looks like I missed a lot so far. Just subscribed to your alerts, so that will help keep me tuned in. Thanks for all you do to help so many EM owners, from newbies to journeymen. Regards,
    Glen

#49 3 years ago

Just signed up as well. Thanks for doing this!

#50 3 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. I probably wouldn't do this without the support of the other coaches. Thanks to them too.
    Everybody has something to offer to someone. Figure out what that is and make it happen.

There are 195 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/an-em-pinball-online-repair-clinic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.