Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by MikeS
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“The future of pinball prices”

• The bubble is about to pop 22 votes
      27%
    • The sky is still the limit 32 votes
      39%
    • Steady as she goes 29 votes
      35%

(83 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

oilprices (resized).png
    8608284B-A982-4EFA-A4EA-E05BEF532EC7 (resized).png
    5B091C6E-2144-4CF8-9692-FF8B8DD01D2C.gif
    9660D163-C38C-4EBF-A2D5-3BE5C91DDC65.gif

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

The last few years have been a boon for the sales of pinball. The prices for better or worse have been crazy. However at the end of the day pinball machines are a luxury item and with current inflationary trends I think a lot fewer folks are going to be willing to pay premium prices anymore. I could be wrong, but with a tank of gas reaching triple digits seems like there will be less disposable income floating around. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

#2 2 years ago

I don’t think the people spending 5k + on a pin care about an extra $100 a month on gas

I agree however that prices will go down. As COVID goes away more people will travel and spend less time at home with things like pinball. Supply chains will open up and supply will catch up with demand. Not to mention that the economy in general is looking shaky which will make people more hesitant to making a big purchase.

Do I think the bubble will “pop”? No? But there will be a price correction especially in the used market where games will once again mostly resale for significantly less than msrp.

Also, queueing crazy Levi in 1..2..3…

#3 2 years ago

I think pinside needs to create a subforum called prices are too high.

#4 2 years ago
    9660D163-C38C-4EBF-A2D5-3BE5C91DDC65.gif9660D163-C38C-4EBF-A2D5-3BE5C91DDC65.gif
    #5 2 years ago

finally a price thread

#6 2 years ago

Steady as she goes. The rocket ship to the moon is over but 80s and 90s pins are not getting any easier to get and new games are tied up with supply chain things.

Low level inflation hurts middle class and working Class. 150k+ income pinball owners are usually well invested and more insulated from it.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

finally a price thread

First one this week.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dewman:

The last few years have been a boon for the sales of pinball. The prices for better or worse have been crazy. However at the end of the day pinball machines are a luxury item and with current inflationary trends I think a lot fewer folks are going to be willing to pay premium prices anymore. I could be wrong, but with a tank of gas reaching triple digits seems like there will be less disposable income floating around. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

This is not atypical, this is what literally almost everyone has been saying for over 15 years now. Levi can post a helpful catalog if you need it. Prices will never ever go down, ever.
    EVER.
    At best maybe the frenzy will die down and we will go back to “normal” high prices, and not these silly 10K 20K+ insta sales that seem sketchy at best.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jeffswack:

Low level inflation hurts middle class and working Class.

Where’s this low level inflation you speak of

The moon is going to be in the rear view mirror before we know.

#10 2 years ago

This thread title is misleading. I was hoping for a new hot take on pinball prices.

#11 2 years ago

You obviously haven’t met Levi
    (He’s an expert on pinball prices)

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Also, queueing crazy Levi in 1..2..3…

#13 2 years ago

Like a moth to the flame.

Just wait.

#14 2 years ago

Thank you for the "atypical" view of pricing that only discusses fuel prices and doesn't go full cargument. So refreshing, and certainly worthy of its own thread.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dewman:

I think a lot fewer folks are going to be willing to pay premium prices anymore.

This has been said about 29 times in the 12+ years I have collected.
    You could not be more wrong.

These prices are here to stay, and will likely get worse.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from ejg10532626:

This has been said about 29 times in the 12+ years I have collected.
    You could not be more wrong.
    These prices are here to stay, and will likely get worse.

Yep. I’m amazed at what I’m willing to pay for a NIB Godzilla premium vs what I was willing to pay for a NIB AIQ premium vs what I was willing to pay for a NIB TWD premium vs what I was willing to pay for a NIB TSPP. I’m basically a frog that was tossed in a slowly warming pot that has come to a full boil.

#17 2 years ago

In before crazylevi

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

This is not atypical, this is what literally almost everyone has been saying for over 15 years how. Levi can post a helpful catalog if you need it. Prices will never ever go down, ever.
    EVER.
    At best maybe the frenzy will die down and we will go back to “normal” high prices, and not these silly 10K 20K+ insta sales that seem sketchy at best.

Yeah this right here.

I like to use Stern pricing as a barometer myself. Even though they raised their prices across the board, I still look at Pros and Premiums as somewhat of a bargain based on what people are willing to pay through second hand market values. The fact that they are so far behind production leads me to think that they are no where done with price increases.

I think we're still in the middle of "pinflation" and I do not think that there is a bubble that will burst. At no point in time do I recall anyone ever saying "wow look at these prices that all went down! Pinball is (more) affordable again!"

Time to accept the new reality and move on with it.

#19 2 years ago

Here’s an atypical view on pinball pricing: pinball prices are controlled by a secret cabal consisting of the Illuminati, Britany Spears, and the ghost of the Marlboro Man whose aim is to turn pinball into an exclusive elitist hobby for their own twisted purposes. Shall I go on?

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Here’s an atypical view on pinball pricing: pinball prices are controlled by a secret cabal consisting of the Illuminati, Britany Spears, and the ghost of the Marlboro Man whose aim is to turn pinball into an exclusive elitist hobby for their own twisted purposes. Shall I go on?

Hahaha! Please do….Is Lionman the only one who wants to help?!

#21 2 years ago

Public Service Announcement time: if you are a newbie, creating a pricing thread and adding a fancy adjective to your “take” will earn you scorn and summon @crazylevi.

#22 2 years ago

I'll fill in for Levi,

"Pinball prices am I right guys???"

"if Stern let pinside run their business they'd be out of business"

"Random cocky comment"

#23 2 years ago

You guys are doing it wrong. It works like this…

Crazy Levi,
    Crazy Levi,
    Crazy Levi!

#24 2 years ago

Fast turnover rate (i.e bored of game) + wanting to make a couple extra hundred from amount you bought game for = inflation.

It’s not going away.

Factor in too: insane ebay listings, the few idiots here (namely in California) asking stupid prices, and the poo-pooing of the needed work of the price police.

There ya have it.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gotpins:

Crazy Levi,
    Crazy Levi,
    Crazy Levi!

Gotta stare in a mirror while sayin it or it won’t be summoned.

Amateurs…

5B091C6E-2144-4CF8-9692-FF8B8DD01D2C.gif5B091C6E-2144-4CF8-9692-FF8B8DD01D2C.gif
    #26 2 years ago

IBTL In before the Levi

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

By popular request, I’ll pull back the curtain a little further. You, dear reader, are the only real human being in the pinball hobby. Everyone else is a robot that has been programmed to play with you, discuss pinball, and trade and sell games to you. The cabal has created this vast reality so they can control prices and raise them to the ultimate goal: a state known as Critical Saturation, which will set in motion a series of events that will unravel the space-time continuum and destroy the universe as you know it but give birth to a new identical universe except in the new universe there is no such thing as pinball. Now you know the horrible truth.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

I don’t think the people spending 5k + on a pin care about an extra $100 a month on gas

Pinball pricing aside (please!), you'd be surprised how much people care about such things. It may not change their habits much when it slowly rises, but as I told my wife yesterday if prices jump sharply I think people will likely change their habits. If gas or pin prices (damnit I got sucked back in) doubled overnight, I think sales would drop. But turn them up slowly, and people will Bitch 'n Buy. Human behavior can be tough to predict though!

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dewman:

Lots to unpack here.

For better or worse? Is there a better?

A tank of gas is triple digits? Where do live and what on earth are you driving?

No one is looking forward to hearing any thoughts on this.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dewman:

Really last 1.5 years. I was still getting decent deals on stuff 2 years ago

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Lots to unpack here.
    For better or worse? Is there a better?
    A tank of gas is triple digits? Where do live and what on earth are you driving?
    No one is looking forward to hearing any thoughts on this.

Sure there is a "better" ask the plethora of flippers out there. In crisis there is opportunity.

#32 2 years ago

Its been solved in other threads its the stimulus money.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

Its been solved in other threads its the stimulus money.

I'm buying NIB pins using the interest off of the $1200 stimulus check I got 2 years ago.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gotpins:

Crazy Levi,
    Crazy Levi,
    Crazy Levi!

Quoted from DCP:

IBTL In before the Levi

Quoted from bane:

Like a moth to the flame.
    Just wait.

Either Levi has been kidnapped and is locked up in someone’s basement somewhere or he is showing incredible restraint. Either way, it’s killing him not to post here.

#35 2 years ago

Yeah, the only thing atypical about this price thread is the lack of Levi showing up.

#36 2 years ago
    8608284B-A982-4EFA-A4EA-E05BEF532EC7 (resized).png8608284B-A982-4EFA-A4EA-E05BEF532EC7 (resized).png
    #37 2 years ago

Am I the only 1 year pinsider that got the “don’t make a new price thread” note in their pinside welcome kit?

#38 2 years ago

How many dvds would it cost to fill my gas tank?

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I live in NY and I just filled up my Ram pickup today for $100.43. I understand people are driving cars that don’t use as much fuel, but are you really shocked people are paying $100+ to fill up their vehicles?

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from Monk:

I live in NY and I just filled up my Ram pickup today for $100.43. I understand people are driving cars that don’t use as much fuel, but are you really shocked people are paying $100+ to fill up their vehicles?

I drive a Traverse so its not small by any means. I wouldn't say shocked but I don't think I've cracked 60 bucks filling it up lately but maybe Ohio is better on prices?

#41 2 years ago

My wife’s car is a traverse (I love the traverse), she would push $100 if she was empty. I think it was $4.49/gallon today.

Added over 2 years ago:

Edit: Just for clarification, I just checked my receipt for this gas purchase and it was 22.84 gallons at $4.399.

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from Monk:

My wife’s car is a traverse (I love the traverse), she would push $100 if she was empty. I think it was $4.49/gallon today.

Damn, I want to say it was 3.50 here last time I did maybe a bit less.

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I wouldn't say shocked but I don't think I've cracked 60 bucks filling it up lately but maybe Ohio is better on prices?

What year? Don't all Traverses have a Gas Tank over 20 gallons?

#44 2 years ago

Gas "should" be headed back down again. Oil dropped below $100 a barrel today (was at $130 a week ago). Gas prices typically follow suit. Unfortunately prices take longer to fall than they do to rise so it could be a while until we really notice the difference.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Its a 2017. I think if I'm dead empty its usually 17-18? But at 4 bucks a gallon thats still not triple digits. I'm not thrilled about gas prices but maybe my point could have been better phrased in that gas prices going up a bit aren't going to erode people's willingness to buy pins at these crazy prices, IMO anyway.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

My work pays for my gas ..I have religious candles set up Law

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

...But at 4 bucks a gallon thats still not triple digits...

Oh I know, you said you've never broke $60

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh I know, you said you've never broke $60

Right...it sounds like its crazier outside of Ohio but I filled up Saturday after I got back from Buffalo and it was 53 bucks. I guess I haven't needed gas in the last few days so maybe it's shot up since then.

#49 2 years ago

Chevy Tahoe 24 gallon tank. Regular gas in SoCal yesterday was $5.49 gallon.
    Credit card shutoff at $100. Must be some anti-theft protection. Left station about 7/8 full. Didn’t bother to put card back in.

#50 2 years ago

I just filled up my 2020 Durango for 88.12 for a full tank. That sucked, but at least not at a 100 yet. Glad I work from home, and have gone from 2 times a week to maybe twice a month.

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/an-atypical-view-of-pinball-pricing?hl=dewman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.