Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by desertT1
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zFabi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hey everyone,
    I don't know if it is the same in America as here but gambling machines in pubs are crushing my income in most locations, how do you handle that?
    Some months income is so low it's under the amusement tax, so basically I'm loosing money.

Then looking at the gambling machines making 3000+ each every month (3 machines) what is so interesting in staring at a screen looking at your money vanishing every second.

I know it's an addiction but somehow I just get the feeling the general public is too lazy to stand up and do something as physical as playing some pinball.

Glad the other location I'm operating a pin just trashed their gambling machine as the income was lower than the amusement machines.

So how do you handle this constant fight against gambling machines other than operating them yourself?

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

Gambling machines are prevalent where I live. I tried to operate public pinball for a couple of years, and VLTs were 90% of the reason I failed to have any success.
    When a bar owner has the option of a installing a dozen relatively small machines, each of which will make them $500 per day, or installing a couple pinball machines, which basically help them sell a few dozen extra drinks per day, they choose VLTs.
    I think VLTs are the devil. Most of the people using them have addictions issues and are sinking their entire paycheck (or social assistance) into them as soon as they get it. I can't believe the government preys on its weakest citizens this way.

I can mostly relate to that I mean I don't mind spending change for a few spins at luck when I'm waiting for a drink to be served but hell I'd never leave the house with the sole purpose to spend the few bits of spare time I have on gambling away my hard earned cash.
    Whenever I'm in another city I'll check if there are places like pubs with a pin or Arcade game, that most of the time is the reason I'll go there (plus maybe to drink a few cold local beers), most of these evenings I end up with some highscore and 50 bucks well spent on hours of pinball goodness.
    When I go home I've always got the feeling I had a good time with money well spent instead of a rush to gather more money and throw it all away again.

My perspective as an operator is that games have to be fun first of all, I'm making money by making people happy and making them have a good time forgetting about a shitty day at work or similar, if someone is enjoying himself they'll come back and play again.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Fortunately, these types of gambling machines are not legal in all 50 states in the US. But its even difficult for a pinball to compete with a plush crane in most locations.

Here in Germany it's 3 gambling machines per pub but you can stuff as many pins or arcades in there as you want.

There are operators though that still operate both types and I think with the uprise in prices on the pinball market most of them sold of what they still had around for a quick buck

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from Linkage:

You're in the wrong market if you're competing with gambling, slots, vlts etc.
    I talked to old ops and its what drive them out originally. Look for a place to put pins where people seek them out, or other locations like campgrounds etc.

Well the problem is everywhere here are gambling machines even bowling alleys, maybe it's different in the US but here in Germany there is no other way than to compete

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zFabi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/amusement-operators-vs-gambling-machines?tu=zFabi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.