10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by HHaase
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I am borrowing my buddy's ammo tumbler but he doesn't have any of the polishing media. Should I use corn, walnut or something else for the metal parts. I read it somewhere but don't remember which.

#2 10 years ago

Either are fine, they just give different final finishes. Walnut is a touch more aggressive, corncob gives a touch more shine, both are excellent choices.

Just make sure to get real tumbling media if you use corncob, cutting corners and getting stuff with different grit size can be hit or miss. Supposedly you can get walnut shells for real cheap from pet places.

-Hans

#3 10 years ago

I guess I will go for Corncob. Thanks. I will get the media at a gun store so it should be fine.

#4 10 years ago

You can buy walnut or corncob media at major pet stores much cheaper than a gun store. To increase the polish level add a little liquid car wax to the media. If you friend has a media separator you may want to borrow it too. I used to spend a lot more time reloading than I do playing pinball.

#5 10 years ago

Just make sure if you get the corncob at a pet store to get the very fine grain stuff, if they have it. Usually it's just too big, and won't get into tight areas as well.

I'm going to give a couple other things a try in my own, I've heard that using silica sand works well, and I have a lot of glass bead to try too.

-Hans

#6 10 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I ended up buying the corncob at Sportsman's Warehouse. I didn't read the pet store post in time.

#7 10 years ago

No worries really. Some pet stuff is great, some isn't. Having that initial "sample" to look for in the future really helps, as now you know what grain size you're looking for.

-Hans

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 19.99
    $ 29.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 22.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 19.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 49.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 149.00
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 55.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 29.00
    $ 999.00
    € 4.20
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside