• Latest reply 6 years ago by benheck
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WIN_20160912_20_33_47_Pro (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg

There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 years ago

It's hard for me to replicate USB issues since all my computers have been plugged into every board imaginable.

I'm not sure the drivers link on my site is the best bet anymore going to look into it.

#52 7 years ago

Got AMH #15 updated last night after having to futz around with the usb cable for 5 minutes to get it to recognize the PinHeck board. After that, everything went smoothly. What a great update and I for one really appreciate the dedication you have shown for this game. Thank you and here's to many more games in your future.

#53 7 years ago

I haven't yet updated to v23 yet but can someone please tell me why when I turn on my game and start a game it just repeats:
"Dirty pool old man, dirty pool, well met" OVER AND OVER again, nonstop. It is freaking me out!

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Dirty pool old man, dirty pool, well met" OVER AND OVER again, nonstop. It is freaking me out!

that usually only happens when you sneak a ball into the ghost pocket before the targets go back up. I'd check that switch in test, maybe it's stuck on?

#55 7 years ago

My test unit did that too. It happens when the game wants to put up the targets but (thinks) it detects a ball behind them.

Try re-seating the opto connectors under the ghost.

#56 7 years ago

Recently updated to v23 and had some odd, repeatable behavior tonight. Completing ORB would award a Hellevator lock, then the Hellevator would start going up and down w\ lock lit. If I managed to shoot into the Hellevator while this was happening, it would stop (no 2nd lock). I'm guessing this is not the intended behavior. Anyone else have a similar issue or do I have some weird switch problem?

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlynx:

Recently updated to v23 and had some odd, repeatable behavior tonight. Completing ORB would award a Hellevator lock, then the Hellevator would start going up and down w\ lock lit. If I managed to shoot into the Hellevator while this was happening, it would stop (no 2nd lock). I'm guessing this is not the intended behavior. Anyone else have a similar issue or do I have some weird switch problem?

I'd say switches. Orb, hellevator and the up/down elevator switches are relatively close to each other. I'd look for a wire caught in or near the leaf switches. I had false hellevator hits b/c the diode came lose on the switch at the exit of the Hellevator.

Switch test matrix helped me pinpoint it.

#58 7 years ago

My AMH has been getting so much play since this update that I was finally motivated to get in there and make the final tweaks I had been meaning to. As others suggested, I swapped the 2 posts at the Minion entrance with sleeve posts, which eliminated the airballs in that area and just seems to have smoothed out the clunk there. I also made a second attempt at preventing stuck balls to the left of the bottom pop bumper and this time I was successful. I cut out a 1/4 section of a PinButt and was able to whittle it into a custom replacement post. The new 'post' doesn't give the ball a place to rest on and instead uses the curved edge to force the ball to roll away from the pop bumper if it falls into that area. I now have zero airball or stuck ball issues on AMH and it is awesome!

Is it just me, or does this code update push AMH over the top? I mean really, I think this can hang with most Lyman games at this point. Simply amazing work, Ben! You may act jaded at times, but I think your passion and pride in this project really shines through. I hope more pinheads come to fully appreciate what you've done with AMH.

#60 7 years ago

Woohoo. Finally got the correct SD card reader and my upgrade went perfect. Just trying to figure out the new sound balance now and learn the new rules.

Thanks so much Ben!

#61 7 years ago

So in updating are we supposed to update the SD card first then do the code update(firmware) with the computer plugged in or vice-versa?

#62 7 years ago

Ben's done an incredible job on the code. It's really outstanding.

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

So in updating are we supposed to update the SD card first then do the code update(firmware) with the computer plugged in or vice-versa?

Hoping someone can clarify before I screw something up later today.

#64 7 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

I followed the instructions on his website in order, so I did the SD card first and then the laptop with the code update. Worked perfectly and after the SD card update it even showed that the update for that went to 23 but the code was still 22.

I also just did the auto update in the Ben Heck tool.

#65 7 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

I followed the instructions on his website in order, so I did the SD card first and then the laptop with the code update. Worked perfectly and after the SD card update it even showed that the update for that went to 23 but the code was still 22.
I also just did the auto update in the Ben Heck tool.

This. The SD card does the A/V files. The pinheck tool updates the v22 to v23 directly with the mini USB cable.

3 weeks later
#66 7 years ago

I just updated tonight, but I think I'm missing sounds. I have no match sounds anymore. No spirit guide sounds. The multi ball or mode music isn't ghost squad anymore. It's just the minion background music and that's it.

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

I just updated tonight, but I think I'm missing sounds. I have no match sounds anymore. No spirit guide sounds. The multi ball or mode music isn't ghost squad anymore. It's just the minion background music and that's it.

Did you update the audio files on the SD card as well?

From Ben's site:

"Your AMH Pinball stores its audio and dots on SD card included with the system. You’ll need to update this whenever you update firmware (they must be updated separately)"

Instructions are further down on his page. Hope this helps.

#68 7 years ago

Got to Bump in the Night today and Minion MB. I love this game. Looking forward to your next project Ben!

#69 7 years ago

Yes both have been updated. Version 23 game and 22 for audio

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

Did you format the SD card first? Be sure you are formatting the SD card before copying the new files over. If you just delete the old files and copy over the new ones, the board can get confused on which audio files to trigger.

#71 7 years ago

Yes it was formatted

#72 7 years ago

I'm just not noticing anything better.

#73 7 years ago

No match sounds raised an eye brow something isn't right

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

Shouldn't the audio be v23?

#75 7 years ago

Yeah if the A/V kernel and SD card is at a different version than the main game code you'll certainly have missing sounds, videos, etc.

Not always a big deal but v23 was a pretty major update.

#76 7 years ago

I think audio and visual are 1 version below game code. My original code was that way

#77 7 years ago

I did the most recent update available? Is mine not done correctly? I've got my game in tournament lineup this weekend and would like it to work properly

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Shouldn't the audio be v23?

Yes, both should be v23.

#79 7 years ago

They used to be different (A/V code changes very rarely) but a while back I bumped them to the same number just to make things simpler.

#80 7 years ago

Also my ghost photo hunt doesn't register and I've only got spirit guide once. No sound on that either

#81 7 years ago

I'll check my update again I guess

#82 7 years ago

I got my update all done and everything is good. I did have 1 instance in haunted hotel where only 3 cameras were lit and I collected all three and it still didn't award multiball. There were 2 cameras that were never lit to collect

#83 7 years ago

Ben, if I want to change some dialogue, are the files 44.1 and 8 bit? I did some changes and the dialogue I changed sounded horrible. Can you give me some specs of the files?

Also, if I change that, Do I need to update the firmware again so it will update the audio on the SD card?

Thanks

#84 7 years ago

Actually, I just tried to re-do the original audio after formatting and the game doesn't work correctly. Perhaps I have to start at the beginning with the firmware then the audio.

#85 7 years ago

How can you tell which version audio and rom are installed?

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

How can you tell which version audio and rom are installed?

It's the first thing shown on the display as soon as you turn on the game. It only displays for a few quick seconds.

1 week later
#87 7 years ago
Quoted from Brickshot:

It's the first thing shown on the display as soon as you turn on the game. It only displays for a few quick seconds.

Thanks, I see that now. The original code turned out to be v18 and v23 has been installed without a problem. I noticed a few things and wonder if there are other lingering code issues to be addressed - one day. "I heard Ben doesn't like to leave Pinballers hanging. He probably has an update for that".

Observations -
1) updating code reset all the coil values to 9, so I dialed most back to 4 or 5. 2) Shooter lane no longer served a ball up in game mode - too weak, although it worked fine in test. Tried settings of 1, 2, 3 & 8 to no avail. Then set that coil back to 9 and it has been fine. 3) earned a free ball on ball 1 and lit the insert, then drained the ball. Next ball served was called ball 2. After draining, the next ball was the free ball. Haven't been able to replicate this again. 4) Same sound is used for up and down elevator, although elevators use different tones and it would be nice to have them different so that you could tell its position by ear. I know this is a trivial detail, but to someone like Steve Jobs, it might have prevented the product from launching. 5) Speech, sounds, music and dots are great as is and are plentiful. That said, any way to add more? As great as game is, more is always better. 6) Hoping to identify some game play errors.

2 months later
#88 7 years ago

I just updated my AMH to version 23 and now I have a software problem with it. I followed all of the instructions and the update itself went fine and the DMD displays version 23 on start up but basically what is happening is when the ball gets shot into the scoop on the right side of the playfield the game reboots. Everything stops and DMD goes blank except for a few lines and about two seconds later it shows version 23 and then it shoots the ball out of the scoop and play continues as normal except that the volume is much higher now. So right now I'm stuck with a game interruption and quiet sound until the ball goes in the scoop and then it gets loud. Has anyone else had this problem? I haven't contacted Spooky yet and just wanted to see from other owners first who have done the update. Thanks.

#89 7 years ago
Quoted from shelby1000:

I just updated my AMH to version 23 and now I have a software problem with it. I followed all of the instructions and the update itself went fine and the DMD displays version 23 on start up but basically what is happening is when the ball gets shot into the scoop on the right side of the playfield the game reboots. Everything stops and DMD goes blank except for a few lines and about two seconds later it shows version 23 and then it shoots the ball out of the scoop and play continues as normal except that the volume is much higher now. So right now I'm stuck with a game interruption and quiet sound until the ball goes in the scoop and then it gets loud. Has anyone else had this problem? I haven't contacted Spooky yet and just wanted to see from other owners first who have done the update. Thanks.

Are you absolutely sure you formatted/copied he sd card correctly? You have to download the zip, extract the files to your computer , format the sdcard to fat32 32kb, then copy the folders/files over to the sd card. Do not drag files from the zip file to the SD card, this can cause unknown issues.

If you did format/copy as mentioned, find another 8GB class 10 SD card and try again.

Did you use a Mac? I ask this because I was testing a year ago using a mac and got the reset from the scoop as well. I ended up using a different card, and used a windows PC to fix it.

What you are seeing is the result of a bad read on the sd card, the system detects the hang then reboots the AV. Because the pic didn't send commands set the volume/scores/etc (at bootup).. you get volumes too loud and scores out of whack. The game will "continue" because its getting new commands.

#90 7 years ago

Hi and thanks for your reply. Yes, that seems to be the problem. I did use a mac and then I re did the download and update with a windows pc and now it works just fine. I happy with the new version its lots of fun.

#91 7 years ago

Is there a setting that would control the skill shot announcement? Right now mine only says the first one (I sense the skill shot in the basement or something similar) but if I change the skill shot it does not say what it is. I've heard that happening on other machines, so wondering if it is a setting or a bug?

#92 7 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Is there a setting that would control the skill shot announcement? Right now mine only says the first one (I sense the skill shot in the basement or something similar) but if I change the skill shot it does not say what it is. I've heard that happening on other machines, so wondering if it is a setting or a bug?

I've only ever seen machines where the original, random, unchanged skill shot is announced (ie: basement, orbs, etc). It doesn't say anything else if you change it with the flippers - just the sound effect blip that it changed.

Jaz

2 months later
#93 6 years ago

What are you supposed to do in the bar ghost mode? The three targets in front of the minion light up and the dmd reads "shoot ghost if you dare" pointing at the targets. Unlike in other boss ghosts modes, hitting the targets doesn't appear to do anything (all three stay lit, the dmd doesn't change) and nothing seems to happen from hitting any other shots on the playfield either.

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

What are you supposed to do in the bar ghost mode? The three targets in front of the minion light up and the dmd reads "shoot ghost if you dare" pointing at the targets. Unlike in other boss ghosts modes, hitting the targets doesn't appear to do anything (all three stay lit, the dmd doesn't change) and nothing seems to happen from hitting any other shots on the playfield either.

benheck

#95 6 years ago

At start 3 bank is down, lock a ball at Ghost and 3 bank raises. Hit each 3 bank target separately to turn each flashing triangle insert from flashing to solid. Bank drops, hit back to Ghost for jackpots.

#96 6 years ago

Something must be up then on the particular machine I'm playing. I hit the three-bank over and over and nothing happens. Thanks.

#97 6 years ago

If I remember correctly, the 3 target bank should be down at the start of the mode. You are meant to trap a ball on the magnet before the target bank comes up. Another ball enters play and you must hit all 3 targets to free the captured ball and start the multiball for jackpot shots. There could be a problem on the machine you are playing.

#98 6 years ago

I imagine you would notice if the 3 bank wasn't working in other modes but kinda sounds like its the 3 bank servo. If it doesn't go down at the start of the mode then the magnet shot(opto) doesn't get tripped and the mode doesn't progress.

#99 6 years ago

Sounds like a mechanical error to me.

The above descriptions are correct, targets should come down allowing you to trap a ball.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Maple Ridge, BC
$ 210.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/amh-v23-released-phantasmic-friday/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.