• Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

amh22.jpg
v20 4player.JPG
download (1).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joeschall.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 8 years ago

Ben, this is just awesome. The Ball Save timer features for the right scoop and post-video mode will do a lot to help make the game more rewarding and easier to play. Excellent player-friendly additions!

1 week later
#34 8 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

If you start Hospital mode (and there is another one I forget) where you have a locked ball, if you lose the ball, restart the mode, and then lose the ball again, upon the next ball being served, the game will immediately send a second ball into play after you plunge the first. It is not in multiball mode, and when one ball drains, the game will do the bonus and make the other ball drain.

Just for the record, I believe I fully understand what goatdan is saying, but this has never happened to me on my game (running v19). Thankfully.

Quoted from goatdan:

Finally on this one, I think (hope?) this is a bug, but if I start Hospital, don't complete it, time out the restart purposely (because I know I'm not good enough to do the six shots to start it), when I requalify it after hitting the shots, if I fail it, it acts now like the restart and forces the locked ball to be drained. To me, while I get what you're going for with the risk / reward of restarting the mode, I hope that this isn't your actual goal here, as if you kind of suck at hitting those six shots (as I do), there is no way to play defensively to maximize the chance you can pull it off.

Maybe Ben understands what you're saying above, but I'm genuinely confused (sorry) when you say "when I requalify it after hitting the shots, if I fail it . . ." If you "requalify after hitting the shots," that means you haven't failed the mode and you've got a multiball, right? Or if by "hitting the shots" you mean that you've relocked ball 1 and gotten ball 2, then I agree with the strategy that it should be harder the "second time around"--so to speak--just as it is with some of the other modes. Also, as to maximizing your chances of beating the Doctor Ghost, I suggest that once ball 1 is behind the door and with ball 2 in play, try calling the hellevator and starting that multiball if you can--then you can use that multiball to complete the Doctor Ghost. It takes a while to get good at combining the two but I think it's a great way to beat the Doc.

Anyway, just my thoughts in case they're helpful.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from Street:

I have noticed that sometimes when you start photo hunt. That the shot that is supposed to be hit does not light up. Doesn't happen all the time but I have seen.

I've had the same thing, running v 19. After I get the first photo it always corrects itself (i.e., the second shot and beyond strobe properly), but I've had the first shot simply not be strobing several times.

#50 8 years ago

Good to know that it's a known bug, Ben. Thanks. Luckily it affects gameplay minimally and seems to be self-correcting once you find the shot.

#51 8 years ago

I'm now running version 20 and loving it. Thanks to Ben for answering my e-mail about whether I could do a firmware update with the pinheck board only at my desktop rather than at the machine. The answer was no--the pinheck board needs power. My PC desktop is far away from my pin, so I was avoiding lugging it to the basement, but once I did I had no trouble with the firmware update. The AV update was another story. I tried again and again but I kept getting an SFX error message when I put the updated SD card into the game. That's because I was not taking Ben's instructions literally enough. When he says "Copy the contents of the AMH_SD.zip file to your now-blank SD card," he really does mean "the contents of" (i.e., the DMD and SFX folders)--I had been copying the actual (parent) AMH_SD folder, despite the fact that Ben had even included a picture of what the resulting folder would look like. This is what you get when you write clear instructions for a dumb English major who has forgotten how to read. Thankfully, once I copied things correctly, all was well.

Before this, I had been considering going into the code to see if I could hyphenate "ghost locating" (in GLIR), but after this initially alarming experience I think maybe I'll just pretend the hyphen is there . . .

#53 8 years ago

These two quotes from Ben's update page lead me to believe that yes it's okay to update from 18 to 20:

" . . . newly shipped games with version 16 or higher can be programmed automatically."

" . . . The app locates your game and checks to see if there’s a newer version of software online. . . . If there is, you’re asked to click OK to begin the update procedure."

Good luck! The ball save feature options in v 20 really make it worth it, IMHO.

#65 8 years ago

Did a 4-player free play "dummy game" using V 20, and all 4 scores showed up, both in a cycle after the 5 high scores and upon tapping the right flipper.v20 4player.JPGv20 4player.JPG

#70 8 years ago

I'm very grateful for this SD card approach. I'm in the process of making an SD card with a "family" version of the audio by excluding some of the saucier callouts that might just confuse or prematurely educate some of the kiddies who play my machines occasionally. This way I can just switch in the "family SD" when the kids are playing. Of course, a family version of the Rob Zombie game won't be possible, starting with his oft-used middle name . . .

3 weeks later
#79 8 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

If you don't mind answering...
Overall what kind of grade would you give AMH as far as routeability? I know when we had ours we really wondered how much it would need to be babysat in an arcade setting. Just curious what you're finding.

JeffF,

I thought I'd give you my opinion on this issue, now that I've put 350 games on my AMH. Out of a 10, I think I'd rate AMH at a 6 in relation to routeability. If code improvements are made so that ball searches start sooner and coils kick harder, I'd bump it up to a 7 or 8. The primary reason for my rating is ball sticks--the common one at the pop bumper I was able to fix with extra larger rubbers, but sticks are still possible on the hellevator ramp, behind the hellevator, in the hellevator/scoop trough, and on top of the plastics around the ghost and pop bumper area. I also agree that if the code could accommodate a missing ball and still start play it could improve routeability. I've had a ball disappear a few times, and found it up inside the apron. If stuck balls are visible then at least players might see them and be able to report the problem or play on with one less ball if Ben can accommodate via code, but if the stuck balls are invisible and the ball search takes a long time, then a player might just walk away from the machine and not realize the ball has been freed.

I should also note that an endless ball search isn't desirable either, in that a ball might be stuck in a place where it would never be found by an automatic search, and I sure wouldn't want an unattended machine to be left on while in an endless search.

The other reason I probably couldn't give a 9 to AMH is the ruleset itself. It's damn hard, and with modes such as the Doctor Ghost draining the ball on a second fail, I think casual players might be frustrated and confused enough not to keep coming back.

Finally, I should note for the record that on my routed machines, for example, I had as many or more ball sticks on NGG (so I'd have to rate it no higher than a 7 or 8 as well), while on World Challenge Soccer (Gottlieb, routed now for a year) I have never had a single ball stick, but it's not a popular enough title for me to give it above an 8.

I may eventually route AMH at a pizza shop right across the street from my house--where I could check on it regularly--but I'll wait to see what emerges with further code improvements and see how it operates after a few thousand HUO plays. Still loving the machine every day.

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

I solved the sticks behind the hellevator with a little trimming of the metal bracket, but I've not seen trough sticks.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/amh-club-a-spooky-start/page/3#post-2440513

Thanks for this reminder. My wife is getting me a dremel for my birthday next month, so I plan to look into trimming the bracket.

The sticks I have in the trough itself are rare, and they're cleared with the ball search. I'd just like the ball search to start much faster. I haven't counted yet, but I feel like it takes 30 seconds or so to start. I may be wrong.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Maple Ridge, BC
$ 20.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joeschall.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/amh-v20-rise-from-your-gwave?tu=joeschall and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.