Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Probably a limited audience for this question but I have both Spooky games...in a smallish collection which do you think has better staying power. While RZLE is new and unique I still find I like the overall game play of AMH better. Thinking of trading one out for a Monster Bash which my family has wanted for years but just couldn't spring the $ for one. Any comments on MB vs the two spooky games welcomed too.

#2 3 years ago

I think MB is better than either of those. That said, I REALLY like RZ when I played it in Texas last March. Really funny, and really fast. AMH is fun, but didn't give me the rush--or the laughs--that RZ did.

And now, bring on the next 10 people who will disagree with me and just confuse you further.

#3 3 years ago

No worries...I start each day confused

#4 3 years ago

I have AMH and have played about a dozen games on RZ and quite a few on MB. I would trade RZ for MB.

MB is easy, but I think if you install lighting flippers, open the outlanes all the way, and turn off extra balls, I think owning one would be a lot of fun.

#5 3 years ago

I like Monster Bash better than either of these games - I love the shots, the rules, and humor. I really can't see RZ in a family environment, it is just too crude. I agree with you that the game play on AMH is better than RZ, but both seem unpolished and home made.

#6 3 years ago

I would trade for MB.

I used to own a MB. It does get easy but the shots, sounds, modes are very satisfying. I've played just over a dozen games on AMH and RZ. I'm a huge supporter of what Spooky is doing - but don't find them as enjoyable as MB. They still feel a little "home brew" to me. Fun games, but something I can't put my finger on feels less complete.

Whatever brings enjoyment go for it. I would lean towards MB though.

#7 3 years ago

Monster bash all the way .

#8 3 years ago

Monster Bash would be my pick if price was equal among the three.

#9 3 years ago

I have both Spooky games. Love them both. Gameplay and callouts great, a lot of support and more updates to come. AMH code coming in the fall, look it up, gonna make it even better. Aside from just unboxing GBLE, AMH has been my go to. RZ fun as well, just got it and still learning it. MB is cool, but spooky games way more unique and deeper IMO...and with such limited production, the value will always be there.
Good luck either way

#10 3 years ago

Yeah the limited production makes it harder to pull the trigger. I tend to gravitate towards games not everyone has...MC, PM, POTO, RZ and AMH and it helps that they all fit horror themes which is my primary theme. The only two outliers from horror I have are PP (also rare) and ACDC. I'd love to put a MB next to my SS....decisions!!

#11 3 years ago

Seems like rob zombie is so new you haven't had a chance to get to know it yet, unless you just can tell its not for you. I personally prefer rob zombie to americas most haunted from what little playtime I've had on each. You don't sound like you're ready to let go of either one.

#12 3 years ago

Here's the thing.

Monster Bash is basically the same game as Medieval, AFM, Austin Powers, and about 17 other games. Fan layout, hit each shot 3-4 times, rinse and repeat.

Austin Powers is way cheaper, so may as well buy one of those with pocket change, and save yourself the headache of wrinkling decals that'll inevitably come with MB. As a bonus, you can keep both of your Spooky games!

#13 3 years ago

Interesting advice. I'm surprised Austin Powers isn't in your collection.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

Interesting advice. I'm surprised Austin Powers isn't in your collection.

So am I! I haven't seen one come up within driving distance since I was about 3 months into the hobby. Some may call it a poor man's Monster Bash, but I like to think of it as a Monster Bash for a man who is rich in spirit.

#15 3 years ago

I have both Spooky games and I had sold my MB recently. I also try to stick to a mostly horror themed lineup and I loved having the game, but I did just finally get bored with the repetition in MB. (I did have it between Met and AFM, which are similar games, imo.) I actually like AMH more than both RZ and MB, mostly thanks to the great code which is still improving and growing. It's probably too early to make a real call on RZ at this point, but MB does set the bar pretty high...

#16 3 years ago

Well for me i let AMH go because i liked RZ better and i think it well only get better with updates. That being said if i had all the monies i would have both Both are awesome games you can't go wrong with either But things that made me go RZ is color dmd rocking tunes and the call outs are so awesome.

#17 3 years ago

RZ would be the pin to keep. Between AMH and MB, it comes down to what you prefer. If you still enjoy playing it then forget about MB. Sounds like a good code update is coming and you'd like that, right? But, if you've grown tired of AMH then sell it.

#18 3 years ago

I would not want to own MB. It's fun to play at other peoples houses, but the game is so easy, you will see everything the game has in the first or 2nd game. First time I ever played the game I went through everything 2 times in the same game.

#19 3 years ago

Monster bash all the way

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I would not want to own MB. It's fun to play at other peoples houses, but the game is so easy, you will see everything the game has in the first or 2nd game. First time I ever played the game I went through everything 2 times in the same game.

That's a common complaint I've heard but in this case MB is more for the wife and kids who are casual players...they like RZ theme but think the game is too hard and don't understand the rules...which is also a common RZ complaint with the current code....the shots aren't that intuitive.

#21 3 years ago

that is true. But do you want a super easy game that takes up a pinball foot print and costs so damn much? Plenty of other games that are easy, but don't hurt the pocket book anywhere close.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that is true. But do you want a super easy game that takes up a pinball foot print and costs so damn much? Plenty of other games that are easy, but don't hurt the pocket book anywhere close.

Well people are trying to sell amh and rz for just as much as mb and they are not made as well as mb and dont have half the mechs/toys either.

#23 3 years ago

I had Amh and MB on the chopping block and decided to sell MB. I really enjoy the depth of Amh despite its clunky feel. Mb just became too easy for me. I have not gotten into RZ. Honesty I think RZ is pretty bad. I didn't like it at all. Maybe it will get better. All in all id trade RZ

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

common RZ complaint with the current code....the shots aren't that intuitive.

are you running v10? much improved (still a ways to go, but way more fun with v10)

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

MB may be expensive now but I think I paid 3800 NIB at time of release. In 20 years if the world hasn't imploded I will be curious what RZ and AMH sell for.
After 20 years of owning MB I still love it but I also collect creature /universal monster/ horror so I guess that's expected.
Only have played 5 games on RZ but there is definitely potential for greatness. Hopefully I will get mine by spring time.
AMH is a great game. I was unsure after playing it at the 2015 Allentown show but my girlfriend convinced me to buy one. Great call by her and new code will only make it better.
In the last 10 years the only games I've added to my collection were AMH,MET prem,WW (full restoration)and RZ (pending).
I'm sure a AMH or RZ will show up on pinside for sale occasionally but the production numbers are so low I'd be very reluctant to sell unless you really don't love them. Meanwhile MB prices have been decreasing slightly over the last year.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

MB may be expensive now but I think I paid 3800 NIB at time of release. In 20 years if the world hasn't imploded I will be curious what RZ and AMH sell for.
After 20 years of owning MB I still love it but I also collect creature /universal monster/ horror so I guess that's expected.
Only have played 5 games on RZ but there is definitely potential for greatness. Hopefully I will get mine by spring time.
AMH is a great game. I was unsure after playing it at the 2015 Allentown show but my girlfriend convinced me to buy one. Great call by her and new code will only make it better.
In the last 10 years the only games I've added to my collection were AMH,MET prem,WW (full restoration)and RZ (pending).
I'm sure a AMH or RZ will show up on pinside for sale occasionally but the production numbers are so low I'd be very reluctant to sell unless you really don't love them. Meanwhile MB prices have been decreasing slightly over the last year.

Seems rz and amh show up a good bit considering how few there are

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I'd say that's more true for RZ but I've not seen that many AMH for sale...alot of peopel saw the potential from Spooky with the AMH limited production and how well it turned out and speculated on making a quick buck with RZ....I expect once those are sold the number of RZS that come up for sale will diminish.

#28 3 years ago

I own MB and AMH . MB is beautiful looking but never gets played. AMH is getting a lot of play. The new code will only make it better. You will love MB the first few days and after that gets pretty boring. That being said , a trade a MB for an AMH is a pretty good deal your way

#29 3 years ago

MB all the way. Would never look back.

#30 3 years ago

I don't care much for RZ. AMH is awesome and I'd love to have one. Really enjoyed playing it every time I've had the privilege. However, neither are MB. MB is a classic with tons of toys, great sounds & dots with an incredible theme. No contest, MB all the way.

#31 3 years ago

I'd take MB over RZ, and its theme would go quite well with AMH. MB FTW!

#32 3 years ago

MB is a fun game to own. I had Rarehero's on loan for a few months and just really enjoyed it. But I think it's about how much the pin does for you. I love the theme. I love the toys and the art. I love the music and campy callouts. It looks so great with a ColorDMD.

I just personally can't justify the price. It's overly collector inflated, because of the above points. The code is fun, but it's 90s arcade code, it's not meant to be taken home and dissected. But it's still fun to shoot, and the theme keeps it great.

And I've never personally been able to stack all of the modes at once. That's something fun to go for.

I'd sell RZ, you can get more money back out of it apparently, people are flipping them unabashedly for nice margins. That won't last once they're all in circulation, this is IMHO the peak already because of supply and demand.

#33 3 years ago

My main motivation for having a massive v23 update for AMH is to a) see how much higher I can drive the resale value and b) ensure people will plunk down cash for whatever game I do next.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

You are correct, but I think once the jump on the bandwagon, speculator/scalper scum/ flavor of the week buyers are weeded out over the next year or so these are going to be prized machines that will probably get permanently parked in collections.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

RZ is new and the speculators need to settle out. Important to note that those that are selling are doing so pretty quickly and for a ~1500 profit.

AMH I think we have seen 2 on the market in the past few months but things have definitely slowed. Heck, we sold our one that was on route from a cold call to us and it was the 3rd request in a month. I know you have a few friends that you seem to be able to readily buy an AMH from at any time, but these are not really on the open market and available to anyone...

Quoted from ultimategameroom:

so these are going to be prized machines that will probably get permanently parked in collections.

this guy gets it. It is already happening with AMH and after v10 on RZ, I can say the code appears to be taking the right trajectory to make this game a keeper for many.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

My main motivation for having a massive v23 update for AMH is to a) see how much higher I can drive the resale value and b) ensure people will plunk down cash for whatever game I do next.

I can say for sure that the new code polish will accomplish A.

I can say I am already looking forward to B!

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Smart Man!

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#38 3 years ago

Well I'll be in no rush and definitely need to give RZ a further chance with v10 and beyond. And looking forward to v23 on AMH. I forget....what v did AMH ship with originally mid distribution? V23 seems like an incredible improvement in just a year.

#39 3 years ago

My AMH isn't going anywhere anytime soon, if ever. It's a brutal and fast game with funny callouts, creative code, cool toys with the hellavater, the door, the target bank, and the ghost. I like the challenge of the jump ramp. It's different than anything else I own.

I'm really looking forward to the update. I beat the game after a month and this will give me more to shoot for.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I beat the game after a month and this will give me more to shoot for.

do you have it on 5 ball?

That is insane if you beat it on 3 ball!

#41 3 years ago

Another feather in AMH's cap: It will never be remade.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

do you have it on 5 ball?
That is insane if you beat it on 3 ball!

Lol, no it's on 3 ball, factory settings, and pitched around 7.5. I beat it after one month, but I played it a lot that month and just had one of those lucky games where the ball just doesn't seem to drain.

I have a friend who beat his too. jgentry here on pinisde.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Bible Adventures lol

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Well it better be damn good then mate.

Sounds like it will be more than cleanup and fixes then. Ben, In 25 words or less, why should someone upgrade from 1.22? I mean other than the obvious increase in machine value.

#45 3 years ago

Been working on v23 since February, will be AMH's biggest update ever.

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Ben Heck for president!!!

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I deleted one character and swapped one word in your statement - see which version you prefer.

Ben working on v23 since February, will be AMH's hugest update ever.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I can say for sure that the new code polish will accomplish A.
I can say I am already looking forward to B!

This.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

So am I! I haven't seen one come up within driving distance since I was about 3 months into the hobby. Some may call it a poor man's Monster Bash, but I like to think of it as a Monster Bash for a man who is rich in spirit.

Collin I love you man but...

come on

#50 3 years ago

austin powers is like medieval madness, AFM, MB. rules are very similar and layouts are all similar. If you like those 3 games and can't afford them, AP is the way to go.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside