You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

amh-before_after.jpg
20141030_192516.jpg
AMH_rules-Betelgeuse.jpg
image-6.jpg
There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 9 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Did you add another color changing strip to the back? That was something I was toying with. I may just wait for your kit instead of messing with it myself.

The strip in back is a purple. It makes the characters glow.

Quoted from benheck:

LED's are like low-fat cookies - use enough of them and it still adds up.
We tracked down the GI issue to a not-big-enough 5 volt trace going across the board to the GI ports. This is likely a by-product of the GI being one of the last things added to that design.
We have to use up the existing supply of boards before we can fix the Gerber files. In the meantime, Chuck is running an additional 5 volt line from the PSU to the GI, with an extra in-line fuse. This achieves the same result.

From what I can tell, 5v is not enough juice to run high quality 6.5v pinball leds. It is fine for the ablaze bulbs you guys chose and also fine for the 4 F'ing bright ablaze leds. The issue with the GI here in my opinion is that the ablaze leds used absolutely suck. And better lights cannot be installed because the power of 5v won't drive them. In either case, the add on kit I made lights up the entire game just like it did for WoZ and it does stuff you cannot do with just GI bulbs.

#152 9 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

should have found some folks with at least semi-professional voice talent.

In all fairness, the Prison Warden is a semi-professional voice talent.

Quoted from calico1997:

Voicing lines and sounding like a real character in a game is much harder than it seems.

Agreed. I've done plenty of voice work just being myself. Trying to "do" a character was very challenging. But fun.

#153 9 years ago

I get what Ben said about a board trace for GI being too lightweight, that'd starve some current.
separate fused 5v line to GI, I'd think it helps, but at that point, why not disconnect the lightweight feed from the board and pop in a step-up buck converter to the new GI supply line, so theres 6.3 to 6.5v to play with? markmon just might add that into his kit "plug-n-play" style that quick..

no 'expert' here, but isnt it typical that something fed lower voltage is going to try to make up for it by drawing more current? could it be why the GI board trace is too lightweight?

theres another device I'd seen for LED's that gets more out of them by increasing the voltage, using high frequency pulse so LED's dont burn up. really common in one 1.5v cell LED flashlights, I forgot their nickname, they'll have the flashlight running "forever".. bright until the battery is down 85-90% dead. as example: ebay.com link: 10 White LED CL0116 Boost Driver Circuit Inductor for 1 2 VDC Battery USA

those are too "weeny-tot" for GI of course, but its the idea I'm talking about, higher voltage at high frequency so theres much less current draw. idk, something similar might be an easy pop-in solution if 5v low current capacity from board to GI is a real problem.

#154 9 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

We tracked down the GI issue to a not-big-enough 5 volt trace going across the board to the GI ports. This is likely a by-product of the GI being one of the last things added to that design.

This might be more obvious if I had the board in front of me, but would a potential fix be just jumping a sufficently gauged wire between two points on the board?

#155 9 years ago

That would work too. Better bet to just pull it off PSU.

1 week later
#156 9 years ago

Just picked mine up. Will set up tomorrow.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Atoka, TN
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Maple Ridge, BC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/amh-has-arrived-and-it-is-awesome-in-depth-review/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.