Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-2-for-the-ticket-25-11-10-gallery-443205670.jpg
IFWT_Tom-Brady-3.jpg
d3.jpg
d1.jpg
image.jpg
There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 8 years ago

Obviously, you can debate this all day long, but I think AMH could be one of if not the best game ever made.

It has the best layout of any pinball game I've played. When you design these games, millimeters of flipper gap, or posts being exact right place make a big difference. What AMH nails better than any other game I've played is that it's one of the hardest, but also one of the most fair games I've played. If you miss your shot, sure, you can drain, but hitting the ghost targets to send the ball out of control is recoverable 99% of the time if you nudge it just right. I love that kind of stuff.

I set the tilt fairly tight, but if you're not willing to nudge the game perfectly, your not going to do nearly as well. At times, I find myself nudging as much as flipping, any game that pushes your skill to the limit, without being unfair, is going straight to the top of my list.

While the layout isn't groundbreaking, the design and how the layout is implemented is amazing.

I have to mention though, this game needs to be dialed in. It's critical, if your game isn't dialed in, if your ball guides aren't in the perfect position to return the ball where they should, if your pop bumper switches aren't gapped correctly, if your pitch is off, if you don't fix the ball hang ups, if you don't adjust the ball guide so the ball hits the jump ramp perfectly etc, it's a whole other game and not in a good way.

The modes are awesome. Even modes that have you going back to the drop targets in front of the ghost have modified rules for add-a-balls or locking balls behind them etc. All the modes are extremely great, they are all relevant, fun to play, and very fair. The best part about the modes are the levels of progression. Sometimes you have to lock a ball before you move onto freeing it to be rewarded with multiball. Sometimes you have to hit targets, then hit the ghost, and sometimes you just have to alternate shots to be awarded with a multiball.

Multi balls are plentiful and seriously rewarding. Again, lots of progression and strategy, do you want to play the main multiball or use it to safely hit the ghost to advance toward wizard mode? Several modes have mulitballs after them, one in particular has you hitting risky targets to raise the jackpot before collecting it. Some are more straightforward, just hit one shot, but the music and the speed make it incredibly fun.

The rules also make you spread the play field which I love. No shot can be ignored, and every shot needs to be hit multiple times. I'm not a tournament player, so I can't speak toward scoring imbalances, but in terms of getting to wizard mode, you need to use the entire play field.

I like the humor in the game a lot, the theme is very well integrated. Of course the game isn't perfect. The scoop doesn't eject to the right flipper on my game, I've tried and tried to adjust that. The play filed art is not my favorite, neither is the translite. I don't think either are terrible, but next to the caliber of game I think this is, it's not as strong.

If you own this game and you aren't having fun with it, take a couple hours and dial it in. The game is no fun when balls come down from the lanes, and then down the right orbit just to fall straight down the middle. Or when the ball comes out of the pops just to fall straight down the middle, or when you just get one or two pop hits then out etc.

This game is just plain fun. I had a guy over that never wants to play pinball but is usually down to check out my latest game. We played AMH for 2 hours straight, something he has never done. We just couldn't stop. Finally we had to.

#2 8 years ago

Seems more like a game review than new topic-worthy.

#3 8 years ago

I've played it. Thought it was fun. Excited to have another manufacturer in the mix....

But best pin ever?

#4 8 years ago

I really like mine. I've said it a few other times but I'll say it again. This game has some of if not the best coding in pinball. It's pretty awesome to see a first time pinball coder put this together. The modes are great and I really have a lot of fun playing this game. My only real knock is the inconsistent scoop kick out. If the scoop would consistently feed the left flipper like designed I think the game could be near the top. Unfortunately it comes out of the scoop inconsistently and often out of control. Other then the scoop I like pretty much everything about the game.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Of course the game isn't perfect. The scoop doesn't eject to the right flipper on my game, I've tried and tried to adjust that. The play filed art is not my favorite, neither is the translite. I don't think either are terrible, but next to the caliber of game I think this is, it's not as strong.

...then it can't possibly be the best game ever made.

#6 8 years ago

Sure it can. No such thing as a perfect game.

Quoted from Rarehero:

...then it can't possibly be the best game ever made.

#7 8 years ago

I agree, try out the virtual version on your PC to get a feel for the layout, shots and modes ->

Download VP9 Version here-> http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=11261
Download VP10 Version here-> https://mega.nz/#F!8kVAXRRa!T3t-BUN-X-w7HrYwg8Cn1A

#8 8 years ago

The voice work is abysmal, the art is amateurish. It shoots okay but not well enough to classify it as "best ever".

#9 8 years ago

Haven't played it yet and I will if given the opportunity, but the artwork certainly makes me grimace too.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

The voice work is abysmal, the art is amateurish. It shoots okay but not well enough to classify it as "best ever".

Yeah. I didn't want to be that brutal but yeah. It's a really good first effort but...well...yeah.

#11 8 years ago

The art is bad. It's OK to say the art is bad, that's part of the game. We tore apart GOT for bad art. Full Throttle has bad art too. Both Heighway and Spooky are obviously taking gargantuan steps forward in art on their next two games. I'll bet AMH turns out to be Spooky's worst game, and I think it's a ton of fun. Can't say much about RZ, but the translite alone is certainly at least in the discussion for best of all time.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Quoted from DefaultGen:

The art is bad. It's OK to say the art is bad, that's part of the game. We tore apart GOT for bad art. Full Throttle has bad art too. Both Heighway and Spooky are obviously taking gargantuan steps forward in art on their next two games. I'll bet AMH turns out to be Spooky's worst game, and I think it's a ton of fun. Can't say much about RZ, but the translite alone is certainly at least in the discussion for best of all time.

To each there own. I actually really enjoy the campy feel of the call outs and the art fits the overall theme and was much better then I expected in person. To me it's part of a really good package that comes together nicely. That's just my opinion though.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

To each there own.

People who use "there" instead of "their" think this is the best game of all time.

Quoted from jgentry:

I actually really enjoy the campy feel of the call outs

Campy is when good actors intentionally act over the top for comedic effect.

Bad acting is just bad acting. AMH's voiceovers are just bad acting from non-professionals. End of story.

#14 8 years ago

Isn't any missed shot in any game recoverable 99% of the time if you nudge it just right... ?

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

People who use "there" instead of "their" think this is the best game of all time.

Campy is when good actors intentionally act over the top for comedic effect.
Bad acting is just bad acting. AMH's voiceovers are just bad acting from non-professionals. End of story.

I find the call outs on numerous other games dreadful but I enjoy AMH. Just like every other game some will like it, some won't. At the end of the day all that matters to me is that I enjoy the game. I can see why others would feel differently though.

#16 8 years ago

Posts like these just reinforce how badly we need some new boutique pins to ship. Really just anything new. We're stuck looking back and making outrageous claims like this.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Posts like these just reinforce how badly we need some new boutique pins to ship. Really just anything new. We're stuck looking back and making outrageous claims like this.

says the king of the troll threads. so kaneda, did you send josh sharpe the cash you promised yet.

#18 8 years ago

This game shoots amazing. Yah, I get that it's all opinion, but maybe you need to find a collector who is passionate (read anal) about gameplay, and spend a couple hours on it.

If you have, you might be really bad at pinball, and that's okay. This is a hard game, and I can see it being frustrating to certain types of players.

But, my friend who doesn't like pinball had a blast with it.

Art, dots, toys, everyone has their opinions, but for pinball players, this game is fun as hell. (and hell is really fun).

Quoted from kaneda:

#19 8 years ago

Look I think AMH is a fun pin and shoot great. But greatest pinball ever? That's a bit outrageous,no.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

says the king of the troll threads. so kaneda, did you send josh sharpe the cash you promised yet.

I'm chatting with Josh next week. Not sure I promised him money, but if you say so.

#21 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#22 8 years ago

I love this game. A ton of fun. I would say a top 25 for sure.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I'm chatting with Josh next week. Not sure I promised him money, but if you say so.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-returns-to-twin-galaxies-with-worldwide-walking-dead-tournamen

your words dude.

#24 8 years ago

Good first effort but rz will be the best game ever

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

I'd be super bummed if there were only 300 of the best game ever. I'm pretty happy there are 15,235 of the best game ever so they're easy to find.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

I'm good with that

#28 8 years ago

No. I don't understand what's outrageous about it. I gave several reason why I think it could be the best game ever made, some other games do certain things better, no game is perfect.

Maybe someone who played a game that wasn't dialed in, or didn't take the time to really learn the rules and strategy, will take a second look at this great game.

This game is the real deal, it's hard, it's fair, it's deep and the modes are great. Combine all that with a wizard mode, the toys and the other things that this game does right and it's hard to nitpick about the couple of areas that aren't quite as good.

Quoted from kaneda:

Look I think AMH is a fun pin and shoot great. But greatest pinball ever? That's a bit outrageous,no.

#29 8 years ago

Haven't had the pleasure of playing

Perfect theme for me too.

#30 8 years ago

"Best pin ever" is only and only ever will be a matter of opinion, like the price of a used machine: it's worth exactly whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Though, I had to click on the thread immediately when my tired eyes read it as saying "AMH Could Be The Worst Game Ever Made", which it most certainly is NOT! I may be a little biased with WI pride, but I think it is a great machine. Well built, intelligent design, very detailed in all aspects.

Quoted from jwilson:

The voice work is abysmal,

^ haha! Where's PSuser PINBALLKEN?? A friend of mine (and a great guy), PinballKen won, in a raffle I believe, the honor of doing some of the voices in AMH.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

No. I don't understand what's outrageous about it.

Your next sentence:

Quoted from jalpert:

I gave several reason why I think it could be the best game ever made, some other games do certain things better, no game is perfect.

Saying a game is the best ever made is a bold and challenging statement...you should be prepared to get almost everyone come back at you with a "NO!" Had you named the thread something different...even just "AHM is an amazing game!" - this conversation would be going differently.

#32 8 years ago

Eh. I'm fine with how it's going. I also start my post by saying it's all opinion so I'm we'll aware of that. I understand it can be debated and that lots of people look for other things.

The game is amazingly good.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Saying a game is the best ever made is a bold and challenging statement...you should be prepared to get almost everyone come back at you with a "NO!" Had you named the thread something different...even just "AHM is an amazing game!" - this conversation would be going differently.

#33 8 years ago

Played it, loved it. Very inventive.

I don't think there is ever much to be gained by speaking in superlatives, though.

#34 8 years ago

I would put AMH in my top 10 for sure. Once tuned in it could be a top 5.
It is an insanely fun pin, really well thought out design/layout, super addictive, great and I mean GREAT lighting effects, something for the noob to shoot (kill the ghost) and deep enough for the pro (call me when you see the wizard mode). I would say Art is actually above average for most stuff that has come out in the past 10 years. Cool sound effect and damn funny old school sexual innuendo like pinball always was before...

If it has any fault it is that the build is a little rough around the edges but seems to hold up well despite any aesthetic roughness. Other fault is that it is VERY tough and many seem to get scared off my this. I like it tough because that is perfect for the home environment which is their main customer base. Art may not be your ball of wax or call outs may be a bit cheesy but this game is still a solid homerun in the overall ratings and F U N factor.

#35 8 years ago

Glad you all liked it at least, and that it sold enough to keep the Spooky doors open.

Wish I had the time and energy to get to work another game.

#36 8 years ago

Different strokes for different folks.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Some people call Medieval Madness the greatest pinball game of all time, but I find it to be one of the most boring pinball machines ever made.

It's really up to taste what you'd consider the best, and I find that the OP's argument in favor of AMH certainly has legs. AMH is a terrific game and I'm very glad to have bought one. And this isn't just me fluffing up my own purchase, my family and guests love it too.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Haven't had the pleasure of playing
Perfect theme for me too.

If you ever find yourself in the Cleveland area with some spare time, shoot me a PM and you can come put some plays on mine.

I'll also be bringing it to the Ohio Show and Cleveland Show this year, so if you're going to either of those you'll have a chance to play there.

#39 8 years ago

Thanks for a very thorough and well written review! Makes me want to play one.
A shame there isn't a Ben Heck clone that could be seconded to Stern to get their code polished up on a timely basis.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from Law:

Seems more like a game review than new topic-worthy.

He made a bold statement, then backed it up with a detailed post. It then sparked some interesting posts on the merits or otherwise of a machine most have not played.
More worthy than 90% of topics around here (Lionman anybody? )

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from Shastings:

He made a bold statement, then backed it up with a detailed post. It then sparked some interesting posts on the merits or otherwise of a machine most have not played

Yes, the OPs first post was well constructed, and made good points both plus and minus.

I followed the project from day one, and I liked what I saw so I ordered one. I liked that it was difficult/deep to play, that's what I want, a pin that challenges me to beat it. If it is easy to play, I don't want to buy it, it won't last long around here.

I like the cheesy quotes and voices. They make me laugh. And if you don't like them, you can change them.

rd

#42 8 years ago

if you said amh is a killer game I would agree wth you. I love mine ,but best game ever is very very subjective like cars,girls,and anything else I can think if,but it is a killer fun game for sure.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from Shastings:

(Lionman anybody? )

funny part is that thread actually hides 90% of the value added content on this site currently.

#44 8 years ago

I respect the work that went into AMH, and I respect what the crew at Spooky has done to bring it to market.

But, I must have never played a dialed in one. The ones I have played didn't feel totally right. Maybe it's me?

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

The ones I have played didn't feel totally right. Maybe it's me?

It is partially you. The game does feel very different and that is a good thing, but still very different feel so that will throw you off until you play 30plus games on one in a session and start to get the hang of it.

They also take a bit of tweaking to fine tune the ball movement which as you have probably realized, most people do not know how to fine tune any game, let alone a small run one that has larger variance thresholds in the build.

#46 8 years ago

No disrespect to Ben or the OP, but the game I played two different ones, the overall build was kit car ish. I'm not saying they were bad or poor quality, but more or less as if someone made it in a very nice garage. Now that doesn't mean it's bad, but when you compair it to polished games like TSPP, TAF, AcDc premium to name a few, it just doesn't look on that level.

I didn't find it out of this world great to play, I'll admit that I don't really have enough time on the pin to say with conviction but to me it was just a nice solid B+ effort. To give a music anology, I'd say it's like 'The Doors' who I really like and who I think are terrific. But there'd be a huge line of people who would argue that 'The Doors' are not the greatest band of all time, they'd point to Beatles, Zep, Pink Floyd, Stones, Michael Jackson, AcDc (etc...) you get the point. Some would even say it's foolish to even suggest The Doors are better than The Beatles. Now it's one thing to say *"I like The Doors better than any other band"* that's different than saying they are the best band ever. Me saying its *not* the best pin of all time does not take away from AMH.

I'm glad people like AMH and I'm glad it exists, but after playing it several times it never crossed my mind to buy one, and I have a good friend who owned one for a short time, I could have snagged it like that :snap finger: but I just did not really care one way or the other. Think it's good but not even in the discussion (to me) of the best game ever.

IMO

#47 8 years ago

You lost me when you said "dialed in".

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I would put AMH in my top 10 for sure. Once tuned in it could be a top 5.

I agree with this. Theme is always subjective, but this machine executes the selected theme as well as any machine out there. But yeah, there's a lot of variability in gameplay if you don't spend time getting it dialed in. I'd have a very hard time ever letting mine go.

And at least as of today, IMO it's gotta be pretty darn close to the #1 best machine ever mass-produced in Wisconsin.

#49 8 years ago

There's a lot of charm in the game that overpowers any home brew flaws in its creation. There's something just so wholesome about the whole super truthful down to earth folks at spooky pinball that makes me want to buy everything they make. Also, there's a lot of humor and fun in the game that makes me laugh which is missing from just about 100% of games made today by people who take themselves too seriously.

As soon as I played it and the ghost said "I hate your balls" I was in and had to get one immediately.

I'm a simple man.

-c

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

The voice work is perfect for the game. I guess different strokes for different folks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Atoka, TN
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Maple Ridge, BC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/amh-could-be-the-best-game-ever-made and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.