Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Betelgeuse
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

imagejpeg_2.jpg

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago

Not a bug or code idea, but I would recommend adding sound effects for EVERY switch hit. Many switches in the game are silent. Particularly notable are the shooter lane and the slingshots. Ramp entrances and exits are also critical. I haven't played it enough yet to identify all of the silent switches.

More frequent and dramatic flasher effects would also be nice IMO.

#52 3 years ago

This game does need flashers
There's three faux flashers in the game now

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

This game does need flashers
There's three faux flashers in the game now

Really? That would explain why they are so dim and non-"flashy".

#54 3 years ago

Don't get me wrong
I dig the game but yeah I wish they would have used flashers

1 month later
#55 3 years ago

Working on some code updates tomorrow, I'd like some input please!

Changes & Questions:

1) Spelling PSYCHIC starts Double Scoring. Hitting PSYCHIC during this adds a few more seconds. How long should it last? (10-20 seconds?) How many seconds added for hitting PSYCHIC target during double scoring?

2) Spelling TECH adds time to that player's Ball Save timer (per game, on top of standard Ball Save setting) How much time per spelling? 2 seconds? 1 second? What seems reasonable?

3) Still not sure what to do for WIKI. It needs to be an award that works ANYTIME, no matter what else is going on.

4) 10 pop bumper hits awards an EVP. Right now they're just points. Nate from Coast2Coast suggested earning enough could award an Extra Ball. Cool idea! But how many EVPs to get one? Maybe 10... 15? (remember takes 10 pop hits to earn 1)

I am also addressing rollover lane sounds and a few other things as suggested.

#56 3 years ago

I really wanted it to "light extra ball" (just so I don't look like a total pansy begging for extra balls, which I may or may not be). However, it sounds like it needs to award it for programming reasons. I think my EVP count rarely gets above 6 or 7.. so 10 may be the number. Would love to hear what other owners think!

#57 3 years ago

Real knocker option please.

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

1) Spelling PSYCHIC starts Double Scoring. Hitting PSYCHIC during this adds a few more seconds. How long should it last? (10-20 seconds?) How many seconds added for hitting PSYCHIC target during double scoring?

20 seconds seems to be the norm for double scoring, but maybe less if you are talking about adding seconds just by hitting the target again. Maybe just a few extra seconds for hitting the target?

Quoted from benheck:

3) Still not sure what to do for WIKI. It needs to be an award that works ANYTIME, no matter what else is going on.

What about a short frenzy round? 250k per switch hit during the frenzy. Otherwise, maybe have it light some kind of hurry up shot that loses value as time runs out?

Quoted from benheck:

I am also addressing rollover lane sounds and a few other things as suggested.

One thing I noticed was that the elevator call standup doesn't make a sound when you're in a mode that doesn't stack with the hell mb. It would be nice to have it make some kind of reject sound.

Some people have suggested having the ball save activate when an outlane switch is hit. Instead of having to wait for the ball to land in the trough, a new ball would kick out as the ball in play hits the outlane.

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

) 10 pop bumper hits awards an EVP. Right now they're just points. Nate from Coast2Coast suggested earning enough could award an Extra Ball. Cool idea! But how many EVPs to get one? Maybe 10... 15? (remember takes 10 pop hits to earn 1)

I've only had the game for a week, so I haven't purposely shot into the pops enough to test this. I upped their strength by 1 above default...so 8 I think? Anyway, I can try paying more attention when I play tomorrow, but I LOVE the idea of another extra ball chance (thanks Nate!). I need them .

Quoted from benheck:

I like the idea of a random hurry-up shot. I don't have a suggestion on points value, but a decreasing amount for a shot sounds like it would work. Maybe if the shot is made within a certain time, you can get another one, or some kind of other reward like a 2 ball multiball or something?

#60 3 years ago

You could do something to activate super pops.
Super ghost goo ectoplasm pops or something.
20s is plenty long for double scoring.
Make WIKI spot an orb letter for bonus multiplier since the layout of the game does not work for getting the ORB lanes. Can carry ball to ball or not.

Are you able to put in more meaningful steps for coil adjustments, particularly for the scoop?
Slings and flippers are still over powered at 1 on my game.
Scoop at 2 can still rocket ball out, but at 1 it dribbles out.

Thanks for the ongoing updates and support!

#61 3 years ago

Just a reminder from an earlier discussion on this topic of code updates, Ben, if you could implement a "family mode" option, it would be nice so that kids playing the game won't be offended, confused, or "educated" too early. I'm not suggesting you need to give the Molly Fitzpatrick ghost breast reduction surgery or eliminate every "balls" pun, but if there is a way via family mode to suppress certain more adult audio callouts or replace them with less adult ones--even if it means repeating callouts from other parts of gameplay or going without callouts at times and just relying on other background sound effects--I think the game would be even more attractive. Of course, the process of choosing which callouts is a subjective one, and I don't have my game yet so I can't suggest a list, but perhaps others who know the game better can do so or weigh in on this idea. Regardless of whether the game has a family mode or not, I am so grateful for this title and the responsiveness of all involved. I finally got to play one on location in Pittsburgh last week and it was a blast. Thanks, Spooky and Ben!

#62 3 years ago

I would love the ORB to have memory from ball to ball. resetting after each ball played sux.

#63 3 years ago

Family Mode will take a bit of doing to hack in, but it's on my "eventually" list (probably by the end of the run, when I have literally nothing else to do some day)

A better way to do it in the future is if there's 4 possible callouts, make the last 2 "offensive". Then it's very easy to mask them off if the Family safe flag is set.

In AMH, they're all over the place!

#64 3 years ago

ORB persistence has been added.

http://www.benheck.com/amh/ scroll near the bottom and you'll see Revision 18 changes. There is more coming I just add them to my site as I get them working.

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

ORB persistence has been added.

Damn that was quick. Ben, you really are that good

#66 3 years ago

Um, I did it yesterday I do keep track of changes you all ask for!

#67 3 years ago

Thanks for the reply about my family mode post above, Ben. Understood--and I expected that this might not be easy to do, nor is it necessary. It's always seemed pretty silly that, for instance, Scared Stiff has a family mode. Players will just have to deal with it. However, given your current pace, if you're waiting to do work, as you said, for when you "have literally nothing else to do some day," that day may never come. You're the man! Keep at it!

#68 3 years ago

FYI, I am physically right now changing code from V16 to V17. The pinheck tool did not seem to work on finding and updating code automatically. I had V17 code file saved to the pinheck tool folder. I ended up just doing in manually. Rechecking with automatic showed the new code successfully updated.

#69 3 years ago

I've said it before, but you can always just go and delete the quotes you find offensive in the SD card. This would only take a few minutes to do and your problem would be solved. I am not sure how Ben adding in a family mode is really needed with how easy it is to edit the audio in this game.

#70 3 years ago

Well since this is a ghost theme, remember back in the early computer days you would set up a friend in front of your monitor. To watch some cool video clip and after a few seconds some scary face would appear with a loud scream. Usually it would scare them off the chair.
Now if you set up the DMD and a sound byte to do the same and have it happen at random to get the players attention?

#71 3 years ago

If you delete a file, is the game smart enough to play a different clip instead? Or would it just play nothing?

If the latter, you'd probably want to copy one of the non-offensive clips and give it the offensive one's name.

Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I've said it before, but you can always just go and delete the quotes you find offensive in the SD card. This would only take a few minutes to do and your problem would be solved. I am not sure how Ben adding in a family mode is really needed with how easy it is to edit the audio in this game.

#72 3 years ago

If a file is not found, it plays nothing.

#73 3 years ago

Thanks, Ben. Helpful as always!

1 week later
#74 3 years ago

This appears to be a version 17 bug. Bar ghost almost never comes up at the start of the game. On the first ball when bar ghost does come up, if you dont hit any of the pop bumpers, ball 2 starts with war fort ghost.

#75 3 years ago

Mine seems pretty random between bar/war fort on ball one. The biggest issues I keep having relate to the ghost shield. During minion battles and ghost boss battles, sometimes it will give a 'dirty pool' quote and raise the shield for no reason. Once that happens, the shield doesn't register hits for the rest of the ball. Playing with multiple players seems to make this happen more often.

#76 3 years ago

This isn't a bug, but something that I feel like would be easy to implement and something that I really wish that games had...

At the end of the game, have a thing that says how good you played compared to other people who have played. Similar to the weekly high scores idea that someone had, except that you would have for instance: Average AMH Score - XXX,XXX,XXX, your score XXX,XXX,XXX! so you could figure out if you were doing better than or worse than average.

I also always love expanding high score charts. Daily, weekly, monthly, or having like 100 high scores for the game are great because it gives everyone a chance to get themselves listed. I would actually suggest having an option where you could pick to have something like 15 high scores, and then set the maximum number that one player could have. So, for instance, if the max was set at 3 per player, of the top 15 I could only have 3, and other people would automatically get the other 12.

I purposely make sure that my NBAFBs have achievable high scores for at least a half dozen or so teams, as people who stop over LOVE knowing they are playing "one of the best games" for that machine. It immediately increases replayability amongst them, and I think it would do great on route too.

#77 3 years ago

Pops advance Bar Ghost or War Fort when no modes are active. You can decrease the number of hits it takes in the Game Menu.

All modes have 1 "quick/easy" restart per player per game. If you start Bar Ghost, fail, restart, fail again Pops will then advance War Fort so you can try something else.

If you complete War or Bar, pops advance the other mode.

If both are complete, or if you're in a mode, the pops advance the Ghost Battle jackpot and every 10 pops collects an EVP. In the next code revision, you can set X number of EVP's collects an Extra Ball.

To manually select what mode the pops start in (rather than random) hold left flipper for Bar Ghost, right flipper for War Fort, then press START to begin game. This only works for Player 1, other players will remain random.

In hindsight, the pop logic is WAY too convoluted - it's confusing for players and was super tough to program.

I'd suggest trying to complete the pop bumper modes (Bar and Fort) early, so the pops spend more time for the rest of the game advancing Jackpot Value.

EDIT: 12 more on the way!

imagejpeg_2.jpg
#78 3 years ago

Hopefully you meant, "12 more in progress".

#79 3 years ago

Ben, What I am describing and what you are describing are two different things.

If bar ghost is up on first ball, and no pop bumpers are activated, and the ball drains, the next ball switches to war fort lit. The other versions, I did not notice this happening. No, it does not do this if the game starts with war fort first.

Additionally, the game randomly picks war fort to start the game a substantial majority of the time. This is when the game is turned on and start is pressed... I usually don't have time to play 20 games in a row, so I have no data on multiple plays.

So far I have noticed that the high scores are not saved from turning machine on and off in version 17 (Which I hate by the way). Is this a new feature that is switchable in the menu or a new bug?

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

So far I have noticed that the high scores are not saved from turning machine on and off in version 17 (Which I hate by the way). Is this a new feature that is switchable in the menu or a new bug?

Something may be up with your machine. All of my high scores are still saved since the last update. Though, I know someone mentioned a bug where I think the #3 high score could get replaced and dropped? I haven't confirmed, but there does seem to be some minor bug with how the high scores are tracked.

#81 3 years ago

Bump to bookmark!

#82 3 years ago

My scores aren't saved and I'm on v17.

#83 3 years ago

V17 has some issues. We are working to make V18 as final as possible plus add a lot more stuff.

#84 3 years ago

Just some other ideas I've had...

Video Mode: Make this harder to start and/or harder to sustain. Maybe start the scrolling speed of the video mode much higher to increase the difficulty and shorten the duration.

The Ball Save Quotes: Make these callouts low priority so they aren't always cutting off other dialogue in the game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Maine, NY
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 25.00
Displays
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 7,599.99
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 269.00
$ 129.00
Displays
Pappy's Pinball Palace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside