28801E32-E2D7-4DC1-AAFD-3DCDC27A3506 (resized).jpeg
354934431_6328733057162997_6611170001532921297_n (resized).jpg
IMG_1376 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1377 (resized).jpeg
20230408_185615 (resized).jpg
20230408_192409 (resized).jpg
8A18DFE7-8CD9-4C66-B364-2F977840CBE2 (resized).jpeg
E5C304EC-9BC3-48C6-AC69-732299B19D7F (resized).jpeg
There are 2,070 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 42.
#1801 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

That jump ramp was a dumb idea on my part.

It’s actually my wife’s favorite shot. Has never failed…butter smooth.

#1802 2 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Replacing the scoop with a new one from Pinball Life totally changed my game for the better.

Would you be able to point me to the scoop you picked up? I wouldn't mind updating mine.

Quoted from dnapac:

It’s actually my wife’s favorite shot. Has never failed…butter smooth.

+1. Love the jump ramp!

#1803 2 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

+1. Love the jump ramp!

+2 on the love for the jump ramp.

#1804 2 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Not more sensitive, but I did change the code to make the flipper power settings work, along with some other changes. There is not any official build that includes my changes, nor would I recommend anyone who is not comfortable with embedded software and messing with their game to try any of it.
I submitted pull requests with my changes on Ben's github project. If you don't know what that means, I would recommend sticking to the official v23 build.
Must do adjustments? Other than making sure everything works, the thing that I feel affects gameplay the most is the scoop kickout. The scoop weldment changed a bit during the build, and the early ones tend to either kick out too hard, knocking down the right flipper, or the ball rattles around and doesn't get kicked out. Replacing the scoop with a new one from Pinball Life totally changed my game for the better.

I am somewhat familiar with github stuff, but certainly not an expert. I am pretty savvy with firmware, software, and applying modded software, but if it is a little dangerous, and doesn't improve the game massively, I will probably leave well enough alone.

I will have to check out the other things people have mentioned though. I would say overall, my machine plays well. I do get a lot of "jump balls" when hitting posts or when the ball is really moving.

#1805 2 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Would you be able to point me to the scoop you picked up? I wouldn't mind updating mine.

https://www.pinballlife.com/scoop-weldment-assembly-with-open-back.html

That's the scoop I used. I had to rework the switch mount a bit, though.

#1806 2 years ago

So how would ya'll feel about a follow up America's Most Weird (urban legends)?

#1807 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Only if it also included Big Foot

#1808 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I think it’d look good next to AMH!

Thank you all for your help (especially @herg). The door is now 100%. Even though I had replaced the bushing when I replaced the servo…it was kinda stripped. A new bushing was all that was needed. My game plays great! No complaints.

#1809 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Only if it includes a pepper's ghost illusion somewhere.

I think a reciprocal mirror for the backglass would be cool (LCD behind displays ghosts/terrors, changes based on the mode... like a Bloody Mary pounding on the backglass trying to get out).

#1810 2 years ago

How could it NOT?

#1811 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

If done right could be fun. Lean into the humor like AMH did.

#1812 2 years ago

Hmm, I passed on an AMH a while ago.

Now I'm kicking myself! If anyone has a lead on one, PM me. I've potentially got a JP Premium as trade-bait.

#1813 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The Killer in the Backseat (High Beams) would be a must mode.
The legend goes with a woman driving and someone in another car behind her keeps flashing their high beams only to stop the person in her back seat from stabbing her.

2F2D15B2-6FBC-480C-80D7-FDC2586FCA12 (resized).jpeg2F2D15B2-6FBC-480C-80D7-FDC2586FCA12 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#1814 2 years ago

Okay life has slowed down so I have time to address the dirty pool issue before my mod set gets here. I replaced the optos. It seems to be the double opto that is still the problem. Is there a way to source or print replacement boards for the double opto? Also why are these wired in series rather than parallel?

Thanks for the help

1 week later
#1815 2 years ago
Quoted from Timfenske11:

Okay life has slowed down so I have time to address the dirty pool issue before my mod set gets here. I replaced the optos. It seems to be the double opto that is still the problem. Is there a way to source or print replacement boards for the double opto? Also why are these wired in series rather than parallel?
Thanks for the help

Have you verified whether the emitter is lighting? Have you went into switch test to verify which opto(s) are not working? Here's a post with some videos showing how I would narrow down the cause.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/amh-club-a-spooky-start/page/22#post-4503824

#1816 2 years ago

On the sub board under the playfield there is a 4 wire connector. Make sure your getting a good connection. Just fixed this same issue. Now both my door and ghost work perfect. TCBDTWN is how its marked on the board.

#1817 2 years ago

Are there any instructions anywhere for adding the AMH armor from Spooky? I picked up a set from them while getting my Halloween CE. Also, should I just mainly reuse the screws/bolts?

#1818 2 years ago
Quoted from icyjones:

Are there any instructions anywhere for adding the AMH armor from Spooky? I picked up a set from them while getting my Halloween CE. Also, should I just mainly reuse the screws/bolts?

When removing the side rails be very careful. When they put them on, they used double sided tape. About 3 inch lengths. One near the flippers and one near the center. Over time these have become ultra strong. Use a hair dryer to gently heat the rail and this the tape. Use a plastic/resin pry tool (like you use to remove the inner panel of a car door). Heat and gently pry until it lets loose. If you get into trouble and it starts to rip the side art decal, cut the decal under the rail with a box knife. There will be damage to the decal, but this will be limited to under the new rail. Otherwise…ya, use the screws and bolts from the original.

#1819 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

When removing the side rails be very careful. When they put them on, they used double sided tape. About 3 inch lengths. One near the flippers and one near the center. Over time these have become ultra strong. Use a hair dryer to gently heat the rail and this the tape. Use a plastic/resin pry tool (like you use to remove the inner panel of a car door). Heat and gently pry until it lets loose. If you get into trouble and it starts to rip the side art decal, cut the decal under the rail with a box knife. There will be damage to the decal, but this will be limited to under the new rail. Otherwise…ya, use the screws and bolts from the original.

Great tips! I am not in a huge hurry to get it on. Figure I might do it all at once with the new Mod set comes.
Is there black vinyl that goes underneath the eyes of the ghost near the buttons on the side armor pieces?

Also, just do one side of the hinges at a time I figure, right?

I might DM you when I go to do it, as it sounds like you just recently got it done.

#1820 2 years ago
Quoted from icyjones:

Great tips! I am not in a huge hurry to get it on. Figure I might do it all at once with the new Mod set comes.
Is there black vinyl that goes underneath the eyes of the ghost near the buttons on the side armor pieces?
Also, just do one side of the hinges at a time I figure, right?
I might DM you when I go to do it, as it sounds like you just recently got it done.

Yup. Hinges 1 at a time. Didn’t see any black vinyl for the ghost eyes. Did this within the last month. Really easy, but almost messed up my decal side art because the tape was so strong. I actually pulled off the top layer of laminate from the cab, but was able to cut with a box knife. Only a small defect, all under the new armor. Then I used the hair dryer. Just DM me if you have any questions. It’s really not hard. Just go slow.

2 weeks later
#1821 2 years ago

Wondering if anyone could lend any insight as to why High Scores are not being saved after being turned off? V23 code is being run, no other errors found (so far). All other changed setting are being carried over after a power cycle.

#1822 2 years ago

Are you seeing default scores all the time, or are there real scores that aren't being overwritten when you beat them? Both settings and scores are saved in the same EEPROM, so it seems that the hardware is fine (settings are saved). I would suggest resetting scores to try to ensure there isn't some EEPROM corruption keeping them from being loaded or something like that.

#1823 2 years ago

Hi herg, I appreciate your response. Default high scores are overridden until the machine is powered off. Default high scores return after a power cycle (all other setting stay). I did as you suggested and reset high scores through the menu and rebooted, but still experienced the same issue. I re-loaded V23 code, but default scores return upon every power cycle. Things get weirder (appropriate for the theme), as during one of these power cycle attempts default high score #3 was a score in the billions (#1 was BUG 20,000,000 as it always is). Maybe an A/V version issue? A/V version is currently 91. Look like A/V version23 is the latest (I need get an SD adapter to load A/V 23)? Thanks again for your help.

#1824 2 years ago

AV version 91 is a modified version required for the color display. You do not want to revert to v23, and I would recommend against reprogramming v91 unless you exhaust all other options. The score in the billions does sound like an issue reading the EEPROM. It's an 8 pin IC in a socket, upper right of the board. I'd make sure that is seated well. I doubt that's the root of the problem, though because the AV firmware also loads from that EEPROM, and you would have much bigger issues.

#1825 2 years ago

...and I had to go back and read my own posts to refresh my failing memory. There was a timing bug in my v91 firmware that could cause high scores to not load, and I fixed it a couple of years ago. You actually WILL want to update the AV firmware. The files to use with a color display are here:
http://ledocd.com/amh_color/

You will want to make sure to get the correct firmware for the display you have. If it's an LCD, it's the Chroma-Color one. If it's a colored LED grid, it's a Pin2DMD.

#1826 2 years ago
Quoted from herg:

...and I had to go back and read my own posts to refresh my failing memory. There was a timing bug in my v91 firmware that could cause high scores to not load, and I fixed it a couple of years ago. You actually WILL want to update the AV firmware. The files to use with a color display are here:
http://ledocd.com/amh_color/
You will want to make sure to get the correct firmware for the display you have. If it's an LCD, it's the Chroma-Color one. If it's a colored LED grid, it's a Pin2DMD.

Hmm, I don’t remember if I updated your code in the display I purchased from you. Is there a way to check what version I have? Do I just take out the SD and see if the updated file is on it on a computer?

#1827 2 years ago

BTW, if anyone would like to sell a Color DMD that is working with AMH, feel free to DM me. I would love to get this machine at its zenith.
Need to look into that audio upgrade mod as well.

#1828 2 years ago

Older code had a bubble sort glitch with the high scores. Should work properly on the latest.

#1829 2 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

Hmm, I don’t remember if I updated your code in the display I purchased from you. Is there a way to check what version I have? Do I just take out the SD and see if the updated file is on it on a computer?

The software versions are displayed when you boot the game.

#1830 2 years ago
Quoted from herg:

The software versions are displayed when you boot the game.

I didn't remember it displayed your display code. Mine is at 87. Guess I should update right? The Chroma color one is the one you sold?

#1831 2 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

I didn't remember it displayed your display code. Mine is at 87. Guess I should update right? The Chroma color one is the one you sold?

If you're not having any issues, I personally would just leave it. Yes, though, Chroma-color are the kits I made and sold. PIN2DMD is a DIY approach that I only wrote firmware to support.

#1832 2 years ago

Thank you for your help! High Score issue has been resolved (updated from A/V 91 to A/V 94 per the, thankfully, very clear instructions on your site).

#1833 2 years ago
Quoted from herg:

If you're not having any issues, I personally would just leave it. Yes, though, Chroma-color are the kits I made and sold. PIN2DMD is a DIY approach that I only wrote firmware to support.

Ok, cool. Only issue I have at times is the screen goes unreadable when it counts down your bonus. It looks like when your on a tv channel you don’t pay for.

#1834 2 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

Ok, cool. Only issue I have at times is the screen goes unreadable when it counts down your bonus. It looks like when your on a tv channel you don’t pay for.

I do very infrequently see some corrupted display. I'm almost certain it is due to failed SD card reads, and faster cards seem to help. If you're seeing it often, a faster card could help. I would not expect much difference in firmware versions, though updating wouldn't hurt unless you run into issues with the updating process. You do have to make sure to closely follow the update process, or risk bricking the AV firmware. There are recovery processes, but they're not the most straight forward.

#1835 2 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I do very infrequently see some corrupted display. I'm almost certain it is due to failed SD card reads, and faster cards seem to help. If you're seeing it often, a faster card could help. I would not expect much difference in firmware versions, though updating wouldn't hurt unless you run into issues with the updating process. You do have to make sure to closely follow the update process, or risk bricking the AV firmware. There are recovery processes, but they're not the most straight forward.

Cool, thanks for the insight.

2 weeks later
#1836 2 years ago

I hit a high score for me. 95,000,000. I was so pumped to get it. Still really enjoying this pin at home. When I first brought it home over the summer (first ever pin for me) I thought I would never get to the wizard mode, but it is fun to see my skills improve and see that goal is attainable.

#1837 2 years ago

Can’t remember the specific mode, but it says something about ghost hunters from Michigan…why Michigan and not Wisconsin (where Spooky is located).

#1838 2 years ago

Took me a while to remember why... then I did.

There's a indie film made in Michigan around the same time called, wait for it, America's Most Haunted: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2330458/

So we chatted with them and made sure everything was kosher. I also hired one of their actors to voice the main ghost hunter.

It's a decent movie, worth checking out if you're into ghosts and indie films.

OH! Addendum. Originally the game was called "Ghost Squad" but... ironically JPOP said "Sega will sue you! Change the name!"

#1839 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Took me a while to remember why... then I did.
There's a indie film made in Michigan around the same time called, wait for it, America's Most Haunted: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2330458/
So we chatted with them and made sure everything was kosher. I also hired one of their actors to voice the main ghost hunter.
It's a decent movie, worth checking out if you're into ghosts and indie films.
OH! Addendum. Originally the game was called "Ghost Squad" but... ironically JPOP said "Sega will sue you! Change the name!"

Cool info on that indie film. I don’t think I’ve ever read that part, and I’ve been a fan of this game since before it had its first name.

Sort of funny about JPOP’s comment. In my mind I see him walking around tinkering and then just casually throwing that out there and going on as if nothing was said.

#1840 2 years ago

Can someone with this game go into test rgb lights and tell me which cabinet leds light up?
I have 1 that has the upper backglass strip,right speaker and left main cab light together.
In the other test the lower backglass,Left speaker,and right main cab lights.
Is this correct?
Thanks

3 weeks later
#1841 2 years ago

Just had a late night game and wanted to ask other AMH owners.
Have you ever heard this quote or was it just me and my drink?
“Come in Steve, your fired.”
I laughed out, but then I wondered did I really hear that? Such a fun game AMH!

#1842 2 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Just had a late night game and wanted to ask other AMH owners.
Have you ever heard this quote or was it just me and my drink?
“Come in Steve, your fired.”
I laughed out, but then I wondered did I really hear that? Such a fun game AMH!

something about mary reference?

#1843 2 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Come in Steve, your fired

KP3.gifKP3.gif
#1844 2 years ago

It's "Kaminski, you're fired"

Kaminski is the tech guy character.

1 week later
#1845 2 years ago

Anyone know how to get to the LED strips in the art blade area? They are behind some plastic, and it isn't obvious to me how to get to it.

#1846 2 years ago
Quoted from icyjones:

Anyone know how to get to the LED strips in the art blade area? They are behind some plastic, and it isn't obvious to me how to get to it.

On mine, the tinted plastics are just pressure fitted into the cutouts in the wood. I have got them off by just pushing somewhere on the plastic to get an edge to pop out slightly.

2 weeks later
#1847 2 years ago

Hi all.

The servo bracket for my hellivator lift has just broken. Trying to find the 3D print file on Ben's page. I found the "servo bracket" file but this looks completely different to the broken one. Was it modified at some stage? Trying some strong glue in the meantime.

71DA6BE2-6CA6-4D74-8E51-D4796F8D6B13 (resized).jpeg71DA6BE2-6CA6-4D74-8E51-D4796F8D6B13 (resized).jpeg
#1848 2 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Hi all.
The servo bracket for my hellivator lift has just broken. Trying to find the 3D print file on Ben's page. I found the "servo bracket" file but this looks completely different to the broken one. Was it modified at some stage? Trying some strong glue in the meantime.[quoted image]

It may just be different. I went there looking for the adobe illustrator files and they are missing entirely.

(Was going to retheme the pin to nightmare before Christmas and create new art, new playfield from the OG illustrator file... glad that didn't work out because I am remaking Mark's NBX instead).

I have another look as the files I downloaded years ago with fresh, they look the same as your computer screen.

#1849 2 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

I went there looking for the adobe illustrator files and they are missing entirely.

I believe Ben took them down because some guy said he was going to try to build an AMH from scratch.

#1850 2 years ago

Yeah and Homepin stole our board design too.

Email at [email protected] and I can send you any STL files you need. Or print the party I have several printers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 210.00
$ 19.00
Tools
PinballSolutions.eu

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Maple Ridge, BC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,070 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 42.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/amh-club-a-spooky-start/page/37?hl=timfenske11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.