View topic image gallery

1 (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
IMG_1620 (resized).PNG
Resized_20170315_091133 (resized).jpg
IMG_1368 (resized).JPG
17022134_1015723185196495_5847008981864314168_n (resized).jpg
IMG_1071 (resized).PNG
vinyl-victorian-picket-fence-scalloped-1-1-2-balusters-pickets-5-sq-post-size-4.gif (resized).jpg
aliens-ufo (resized).jpg
RicketyCricket (resized).jpg
20170129_174405 (resized).jpg
20170129_174400 (resized).jpg
20170129_112417 (resized).jpg
IMG_8727 (resized).JPG
457464945_640 (resized).jpg
Miranda-Kerr (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I love AFM, more than MM, it's one of the few B/W games out there I'd still really like to own and I'd enjoy it if I bought it. But I suspect the price point will be a pass, unless it bucks the current game price trends. And really, does that feel likely?
Surprise me Rick!

But it's not up to Rick, it's up to CGC!

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah yeah, it's all shorthand. I don't care who's making it, just want to know if it's $8k so I can put it out of my mind.

I'd like to think they'd see the advantages of selling it for less (NIB buyers would be tempted to swing their way vs. other options for new games) ...but then again they thought it was a good idea to sell a "key" to the Color ROM already on the game for $199/$399...so, I'm guessing it'll be $8k for a base game, $10k for some kind of LE.

They totally COULD sell it for less and still make a ton. Game was already designed and tested 20 years ago, no cost there. The CGC system has been designed & tested on MMR, so costs are less there vs. MMR. They're building it themselves now, so they don't have to pay Stern...probably some cost savings there. They could probably sell these in the $6k's and do very very well.

#114 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If it does not sell for Stern Pro pricing, then no thanks. Sorry but when I can find nice originals for 6500, why would I ever want a remake for more?

I can buy a Pac-Man for $300...but Namco has been making new Pac-Man arcade games for years for what...$3000 or so? ...and they sell...because hardcore hobbyists are not the customers for these things. Casual people with rec rooms and money to blow are. They don't care if it's original. They want something brand new and cool.

We have to remember these remakes aren't necessarily geared toward hardcore hobbyists. People who've never heard of a forum or owned a pinball machine go to a new dealer and ask "What new games can I buy?". These games are for them.

#135 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly. Hilton likes to make up his own values for high demand pins.

It seems to be a Wisconsin thing. Hilly & Neo always think Wisconsin pinball prices, specifically the deals they might have scored due to their patience and connections = what happens everywhere else.

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Seriously bro? I'm not even a JJP backer but that game freaking plays fantastic.

Sure, but at $9k it's a tough sell in the "modern pinball economy"...which is "theme, theme, theme". Theme drives sales before people even know what they're getting (see Ghostbusters and Batman). Nostalgic themes make people forget about the ridiculousness of price. If JJP can survive Dialed-In not selling so well up front...the good thing is they can keep it in production forever since they don't have to pay a license...so, if it picks up popularity down the road, it'll always be in their catalog to sell.

#170 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Fiasco? My MMR is has been perfect, most reliable machine I've owned.

I'm very happy with mine. It looks and plays great. That being said, we can't dismiss that there were massive delays, playfields with thin insert ink, and charging us to unlock color code that was already in the ROM on displays we already owned was BULLLLLSHIIIIITTTT. That really showed me how they felt about the customers that gave them lots of money and patience. They'd rather shake us down for nickels than keep us around for the big bucks. Pinball's a small world. Take us for granted, I'll spend my fun money elsewhere....no loyalty to customers, no loyalty from this customer.

#198 7 years ago
Quoted from the_one:

MMR didn't drop the price for original MM not one penny (or cent).
So why should AFMR do?
Many do like original games more than plain remakes. They are just a copy ... a good one ... but still a copy

Every "original" MM is a copy. It was a mass produced product. It's not like the Mona Lisa or something. Most original MM's are filled with repro parts. "Original" is a pretty meaningless term for the most part when it comes to pinball.

...and original MM dropped a ton when MMr was announced. Try selling a restored one for $20k now. It happened before MMr!

#200 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I will never understand how people think that the only thing upon which to base value is how much shit there is on a PF.
RS should be worth $12k on the used market, because it has like 10x more shit on the PF than AFM!

...and Iron Man is a Zizzle! Remember that one? Lol

#217 7 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

Because from where I'm sitting, that's a huge mistake. I sold a mint AFM last year, with new playfield, plastics, cabinet decals, full LED's, color DMD, etc. And struggled to finally get $7500 for it after sitting unsold for weeks.

Who was your market? Were you trying to sell to Pinsiders and Craigslisters? People have to realize there's a different market for new games. It's not laser focused at US. Joe Schmoe who has a rec room and wants a cool pinball machine will look online, see he can get a NEW AFM, he can read it's a top 10 game, and order it with his credit card from a gameroom store. Those customers aren't looking here or on CL. They don't want to buy a game from "a guy". They want it new, with a warranty.

#225 7 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

If I were PPS, I would put a title out there which does both. Excites the ravenous Pinside crowd, which AFM doesn't appear to be doing at all,

I think the Pinside crowd is over pre-orders and delays, so until there's real info, there's no excitement. If PPS does what it claims it claims it's going to...which is to reveal the game when it's ready to order, I think that'll change things around here. If someone's thinking about buying a new game...skeptical of Stern's QC, skeptical of wait times from other companies...they're itching for something brand new, and AFM is ready to ship the second you send a check...I think it will do well with this crowd. All depends on price...we don't know yet, so - STAY TUNED lol

#241 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Stern buys cabinets and playfields already from CGC

Are Chicago Gaming and Churchill the same company?

#248 7 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

I just can't see Stern helping or cooperating with Jersey Jack. Possibly with CGC because of their long standing relationship but Jack?

Never. If any of their independent contractors chose to do work for JJP, they're booted.

#256 7 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

Let me qualify, LCD resembling my BMLE.

The LCD in BM'66 is the same type of LCD that's in MMr. You just see the whole monitor instead of it being masked to a DMD aspect ratio.

#264 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If I happen to get lucky and stumble upon a HUO MB on CL that someone who had no idea of the value and sold it to me for $1k, that has zero impact on the actual value of the pin.

Whatchoo sayin'....my $500 LOTR didn't reshape the market completely!?!?!?

#275 7 years ago

I've already got the remake! It's the Super 3D Hologram Edition! Revenge From Mars!

#284 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

And just like Hollywood remakes it's worse than the original, loaded up with special effects and missing substance!

Well actually it's a sequel, and there are plenty of sequels that are equal to or better than the original (Terminator 2, Aliens)

I agree with movie remakes, they're all fucking terrible....

#294 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

It's already basically empty - how much could you strip down?

That makes me think there will be the equivalent of a "Pro" and "Premium" model. If I had to guess...the "Pro" will be the same as the original. The "Premium" will have some kind of powdercoated trim, color dots included, shaker included, possibly art blades, 3D translite, "Bill Ung" style extra lights, etc.

#295 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I dunno...'The Departed' is pretty damn good for a remake.

Foreign remakes are a crapshoot...but I can see why they do them. It's the already iconic American remakes/reboots (Ghostbusters, Elm St., Terminator Gynysys) that are horrible.

#315 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

No way.
I just saw Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978 and it's superior in every way.
I love the original, but 1978 is the ship.

LOL...OK, I have to keep narrowing my shitty remake focus. ANYTHING IN THE LAST 10 YEARS!!! lol

I think The Fly (86) and Little Shop of Horrors (86) are the definitive versions of those stories. Good remakes can be done, if the tone and style is completely different and the director/writer have something new and interesting to say about the concept. Remakes now are like "REMEMBER THAT MOVIE YOU LIKED!?!?!? Here it is AGAIN! But a little different! But with cameos and lines you remember! You weren't asking for this at all!!!!"

#375 7 years ago

OMG are well still litigating Mechgate!?

Colorgate was far more of a slap in the face.

#377 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

You mean the color they sold as "Gold"

The color is Gold.

No, charging $199/$399 for the "key" to unlock color dots on the display.

#382 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

My only concern about buying any of these remakes is that this company seems to have a pretty bad reputation for customer service. I don't care about coin mechs, but if something proprietary breaks, I expect support, and I'm skeptical it would be available.

Despite some of my disagreements with how they've done things, their customer service has been fine. I had a bad flasher board, and they sent me a new one immediately.

#384 7 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

I still haven't sent in my $200. Is it really unlocking code that's already on the chip?

If you're updated to the most current firmware, the new color dots are there. You just can't choose the option for them unless you install their "Color Kit" chip. The chip just unlocks what you already have. It's bullshit, but I paid the ransom...it would annoy me to have the "better-than-ColorDMD" dots locked away. That being said, it showed me where their priorities are with customer satisfaction and loyalty. They got my $199, but that's the last they'll ever see from me. Had they done the right thing and just let this thing be a code update as it should have been, I would have been a future customer on future games.

#397 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Well, the display will be better.
But also curious how else it will be better.....
A few mods ?
Maybe side rails that light up like STLE?

I've heard that AFM was originally going to have more movement for the ship and it was costed out. Perhaps they're going back to what the designers had originally intended?

#401 7 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I would imagine most of the documentation for stuff like that was lost over the years. Rick didn't even have uncompressed audio files. Would have thought those would have been saved

Oh, that's interesting...no uncompressed audio this time? I guess it'll just be emulated using the original sound files?

#408 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Whoa, back up.

Again, is there something you can tell us about this?

Well, that's no secret. It was supposed to be shown at one of the big shows last year...but they pulled it. Probably had some issues to work out...and on that level, it's better to hold the reveal till it's ready and done vs. revealing it and then delaying it.

#411 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's enabling the feature.. that depending on your software version, is already preloaded. You are buying the feature they determined should be sold as a value-added feature vs being part of the base product.
The complaint that it 'is already there' is petty and just crying about things ignoring how the real world works. Just because it already exists, doesn't give you ownership of it. Software has been unlocked by feature keys for 35+ years.. yet for some reason now MMR buyers think they were robbed because 'its already there'.

"Robbed" is a bit harsh...but lets be real. It's an $8000 game in a limited market. The new dots should have been part of their project budget, as it's excellence CERTAINLY would have sold more units had it just been an included feature...thus paying for itself and then some. Let's remember, the game was a year or so late & had other issues. If the software update was just a software update, that would have been a great gesture to their generous and patient customers. Clearly, by charging for it - they've pissed off a lot of the people in this limited market.

Sure, you can argue that we're in an era of DLC video games...and people pay more to get more features on their games...but there are also plenty of games that offer substantial updates for free - as it makes early adopters happy & sells more games to new people when they hear about the new features.

#415 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Why would you hope a pinball company fails? Move on.

On top of that, CGC isn't even specifically a pinball company. If pinball "fails" for them...they've got other things going on.

1 week later
#510 7 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

I know a MMr owner who received a machine (recently) and the ALL metal trim had sharp edges.
Several customers where getting cut (bleeding) while playing.
Customer services solution : They sent him a sanding block.
Buyer beware.

That's the King of Payne Special Edition.

#513 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Doubtful due to coding and it wld really change the game and no longer be a remake.

MMR had coding the original didn't have. Shaker coding, coding for the new adjustment screens with lighting and coil strength options, & coding for the color display.

3 weeks later
#562 7 years ago

RicketyCricket (resized).jpgRicketyCricket (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#651 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Am I the only one that isn't keen on the super wide lcd/dmd?

It's the same ratio as a DMD. It's not wider. People forget that DMDs are not 16:9 ...they're much longer.

#671 7 years ago
Quoted from Bronty:

Well someone else said it right. That green trim is probably leftover parts that they want to use up

Leftover from what? Stern isn't building these games....and Stern knew they were making 500 GBLEs and most likely ordered 500 sets of green armor.

#680 7 years ago
Quoted from JonH123:

I'd better start saving up to get one of these.
How long are remakes typically for sale for?
Two years?

They'll be available as long as enough people want them to warrant CGC building them. There's no time limit on the license.

#682 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

It has a standard DMD.
The big DMD's have a little cut-out for the logo or you can program whatever yo want there.

Theoretically they could do that for the "classic" version, too...since the standard DMD isn't a DMD, but a monitor with unused area on the top and bottom.

#685 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I agree, but I think most people will get the middle priced option with the big DMD and shaker etc.
I do like the topper on the collectors version, but Im not sold on it. For the extra money I would like anti-glare glass though, but they havent talked about it yet.

Yeah, if I were a customer, I'd prob get the middle version...although even though I don't care about the trim or topper that much - I would want the tri-color LEDs that are on all the saucers in the LE. Hopefully those can be purchased separately and added (or modded) to the middle version.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.00
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Wanted
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/amfr-pps-announced-next-remake?tu=Rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.