View topic image gallery

1 (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
IMG_1620 (resized).PNG
Resized_20170315_091133 (resized).jpg
IMG_1368 (resized).JPG
17022134_1015723185196495_5847008981864314168_n (resized).jpg
IMG_1071 (resized).PNG
vinyl-victorian-picket-fence-scalloped-1-1-2-balusters-pickets-5-sq-post-size-4.gif (resized).jpg
aliens-ufo (resized).jpg
RicketyCricket (resized).jpg
20170129_174405 (resized).jpg
20170129_174400 (resized).jpg
20170129_112417 (resized).jpg
IMG_8727 (resized).JPG
457464945_640 (resized).jpg
Miranda-Kerr (resized).jpg
There are 754 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 16.
#201 7 years ago

It's a great pinball machine. Nice to see it being remade if that's the case. I'd definitely be interested in one but the price does need to be and should be cheaper than MMr. Let's think positive and see what happens!

#202 7 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I don't.....think so? I'll safely bet that I am not .

Haha ok you look a lot like someone from another forum

#203 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Every "original" MM is a copy. It was a mass produced product. It's not like the Mona Lisa or something. Most original MM's are filled with repro parts. "Original" is a pretty meaningless term for the most part when it comes to pinball.

I disagree with that one, there are BIG differences between a Williams MM and a PPS/CGC MMR. Maybe not in game play but what's under the covers (boards, socketed lights, etc.) is completely different.

#204 7 years ago

If the cost to build is $6000 for example, they would need to sell 2000 units at $7k to make the same profit as 1000 units sold at $8k. The question is would it be more likely to sell 1000 AFMr at $8k or 2000 AFMr at $7k? I am not sure what the answer would be but the "on the fencers" seem to be okay with the $7k price. If CGC wants to stick it to Stern while making customers happier, 2000 units at $7k is the way to go.

#205 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Every "original" MM is a copy. It was a mass produced product. It's not like the Mona Lisa or something. Most original MM's are filled with repro parts. "Original" is a pretty meaningless term for the most part when it comes to pinball.
...and original MM dropped a ton when MMr was announced. Try selling a restored one for $20k now. It happened before MMr!

Interesting debate.

I personally really value an original, non faded, screen printed cabinet over new stickers but seems like I am in the minority.

And a nice original playfield over a reproduction - but again probably in the minority.

#206 7 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

If I start working a part time job on the weekends. Average non-skilled entry level around here $10.00 an hour x 12 hours a week x 52 weeks minus taxes and holiday weekends that I couldn't work. Should come out to $3286.23 a year x 3 years and yup, I could finally own a MB. But then again my car will probably die, the roof on my house will probably leak, my daughter will probably need braces.. Oh what the heck why bother.

Most corporate dental plans have a $2000 lifetime orthodontal credit. If your company frequently changes dental providers, and you time it correctly it could be $2000 lifetime orthodontal credit for the old plan and the new plan as well, so $4000. This doesn't have anything to do with pinball except maybe help you to be able to afford one.

#207 7 years ago

Cost to build in quantity 1K is $2300

#208 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I guess I got lucky?
ColorDMD, mirror blades, nice pf, nice cab. Had some lamp matrix issues but I fugured those out with a little effort.

Yeah man, you got very lucky, we even talked about it. I was on that ad in 5 minutes of it posting and you already had me beat. There were 6 other guys lined up to buy it as well, it was underpriced for its value. That is not the norm for games of that caliber.

#209 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I will never understand how people think that the only thing upon which to base value is how much shit there is on a PF.

I begrudge no one their margin, but if you pad it too much on a mass produced commercial device I'm gonna pass. Doesn't seem that hard to me.

#210 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Finally a realistic number to cost of building games in bulk

#211 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I begrudge no one their margin, but if you pad it too much on a mass produced commercial device I'm gonna pass. Doesn't seem that hard to me.

That's why I won't buy an iPhone.

The 6 only costs Apple $200.10 to make.

#212 7 years ago

I sure hope they know what they're doing with AFMR.

Because from where I'm sitting, that's a huge mistake. I sold a mint AFM last year, with new playfield, plastics, cabinet decals, full LED's, color DMD, etc. And struggled to finally get $7500 for it after sitting unsold for weeks.

And now they're going to try and get people to cough over $8500 (presumably) for a AFMr. I hope they did their market research, because it feels to me like saturation, and that nobody is climbing out of the bushes for AFM's any more.

CC would've been an INFINITELY better choice, IMHO.

Wait and see, I guess.

#213 7 years ago

He posted that to throw all of you off! It's MBr suckas!!!

#214 7 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

I sure hope they know what they're doing with AFMR.
Because from where I'm sitting, that's a huge mistake. I sold a mint AFM last year, with new playfield, plastics, cabinet decals, full LED's, color DMD, etc. And struggled to finally get $7500 for it after sitting unsold for weeks.
And now they're going to try and get people to cough over $8500 (presumably) for a AFMr. I hope they did their market research, because it feels to me like saturation, and that nobody is climbing out of the bushes for AFM's any more.
CC would've been an INFINITELY better choice, IMHO.
Wait and see, I guess.

It's an interesting quandary, because I would bet that part of the reason that it took you awhile to get $7500.00 for your AFM was the mere potential that AFMr was going to be announced soon.

#215 7 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

He posted that to throw all of you off! It's MBr suckas!!!

I for one hope they really do make a Monster Bash remake, however just thinking in the term of dollars for rights to copyrighted material beyond Williams, such as Universal and not sure if they even need the rights from all the families of the characters likeness involved ie: Ben Chapman, Bela Lugosi, Elsa Lanchester, Boris Karloff, Lon Chaney, I fear this maybe a hard task to accomplish within a doable cost factor range.

#216 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It's an interesting quandary, because I would bet that part of the reason that it took you awhile to get $7500.00 for your AFM was the mere potential that AFMr was going to be announced soon.

But they've been talking about an AFMr literally since MMr preorders. And if I'm a potential AFM buyer, do I wait to pay (certainly) more for a (subjective, but to me) lesser reproduction, knowing the issues and delays with MMr? When there's a perfect original to be had now for less money?

That doesn't seem to explain it to me.

#217 7 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

Who was your market? Were you trying to sell to Pinsiders and Craigslisters? People have to realize there's a different market for new games. It's not laser focused at US. Joe Schmoe who has a rec room and wants a cool pinball machine will look online, see he can get a NEW AFM, he can read it's a top 10 game, and order it with his credit card from a gameroom store. Those customers aren't looking here or on CL. They don't want to buy a game from "a guy". They want it new, with a warranty.

#218 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Who was your market? Were you trying to sell to Pinsiders and Craigslisters? People have to realize there's a different market for new games. It's not laser focused at US. Joe Schmoe who has a rec room and wants a cool pinball machine will look online, see he can get a NEW AFM, he can read it's a top 10 game, and order it with his credit card from a gameroom store. Those customers aren't looking here or on CL. They don't want to buy a game from "a guy". They want it new, with a warranty.

Spot on. The mass market pinball buyers want a shiny new product with warranty especially if its only $1K-$2K difference. They will assume that pinball is just like any other consumer goods like cars, fridges, tv's etc and expect a 20 year old product without warranty to be worth next to nothing compared to a new product.

#219 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yes, I didn't open a Game Room store to sell it. Good guess!

If I were PPS, I would put a title out there which does both. Excites the ravenous Pinside crowd, which AFM doesn't appear to be doing at all, as well as this huge market of clueless Joe Schmoe's eager to spend $8500 on a repro of a classic pinball machine for their man cave.

I think some of the people speculating about the lack of AFM's playfield parts/assemblies are closer to the mark. You really can't pick a machine with less parts, less playfield assemblies, etc which sells for more.

#220 7 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

The mass market pinball buyers want a shiny new product with warranty

What is this "warranty" you speak of?

#221 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What is this "warranty" you speak of?

It says on the bill of sale but I wouldn't know because I haven't had to use it since I haven't had any problems with my MMR in the almost 2 years of owning it.

#222 7 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

Yes, I didn't open a Game Room store to sell it. Good guess!
If I were PPS, I would put a title out there which does both. Excites the ravenous Pinside crowd, which AFM doesn't appear to be doing at all, as well as this huge market of clueless Joe Schmoe's eager to spend $8500 on a repro of a classic pinball machine for their man cave.
I think some of the people speculating about the lack of AFM's playfield parts/assemblies are closer to the mark. You really can't pick a machine with less parts, less playfield assemblies, etc which sells for more.

Or price it so that the informed hobbyist is enticed and let the gameroom guys mark it up to whatever they want for the retail buyer. Sell it to everyone. Or don't, I don't care. I'll keep looking for an original in players shape so I can put it at my location.

#223 7 years ago

Yeah. I'd say MMR has been pretty solid. Not a problem with mine. PPS board is a ghost town compared to issues with GBusters.
I'd have FAR more confidence in a PPS/CGC built game over what Stern is putting out these days.

#224 7 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

But they've been talking about an AFMr literally since MMr preorders. And if I'm a potential AFM buyer, do I wait to pay (certainly) more for a (subjective, but to me) lesser reproduction, knowing the issues and delays with MMr? When there's a perfect original to be had now for less money?
That doesn't seem to explain it to me.

But you are making a lot of assumptions that a potential buyer may not share.

Take a look in this thread. People are saying that AFMr is going to come in at $6000-$6500.00! If people really believe that is a possibility, then how can you say that this "doesn't seem to explain it?" Plenty of people out there who would actually rather have a "new" pin vs. an "old" original. You and I may not be one of them, but it that isn't the point.

#225 7 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

If I were PPS, I would put a title out there which does both. Excites the ravenous Pinside crowd, which AFM doesn't appear to be doing at all,

I think the Pinside crowd is over pre-orders and delays, so until there's real info, there's no excitement. If PPS does what it claims it claims it's going to...which is to reveal the game when it's ready to order, I think that'll change things around here. If someone's thinking about buying a new game...skeptical of Stern's QC, skeptical of wait times from other companies...they're itching for something brand new, and AFM is ready to ship the second you send a check...I think it will do well with this crowd. All depends on price...we don't know yet, so - STAY TUNED lol

#226 7 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I'd have FAR more confidence in a PPS/CGC built game over what Stern is putting out these days.

Really? Based on what?

What was the last pin that CGC built? Vacation America?

#227 7 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Yeah. I'd say MMR has been pretty solid. Not a problem with mine. PPS board is a ghost town compared to issues with GBusters.

I never understood that CGC/Stern relationship. Stern is a competitor. If I was a competitor like Stern asked to make MMRs for CGC, I would purposely delay production, make multiple excuses and make people wait ages for their MMRs. Uuuumh saaaay......

#228 7 years ago

If I was a competitor like Stern asked to make MMRs for CGC, I would purposely delay production...

They should do that whilst secretly looking into why MMR playfields aren't in shambles.

#229 7 years ago

I never understood that CGC/Stern relationship. Stern is a competitor. If I was a competitor like Stern asked to make MMRs for CGC, I would purposely delay production, make multiple excuses and make people wait ages for their MMRs. Uuuumh saaaay......

Welp, glad you're not running any pinball manufacturing companies.

#230 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

They should do that whilst secretly looking into why MMR playfields aren't in shambles.

Doesn't CGC make all the playfields for Stern too??

#231 7 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Doesn't CGC make all the playfields for Stern too??

No idea just being a smart ass. Never heard of MMR having the issues Stern is ?

#232 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

People are saying that AFMr is going to come in at $6000-$6500.00!

People are dreaming, you meant to say.

I don't see $6000-6500 as a real possibility, so yes, I'm making that assumption. But even at $7500, which is more realistic, I'd still be worried about sales.

I understand some people want new/warranty, and there are a lot of other markets for pin sales these days apart from collectors. My point is that the allure of AFM seems to have been a bit tarnished by all the new releases and the abundance of restored AFM's already in the marketplace, and with my first hand experience of a stale AFM market, I firmly believe CC would've been a better choice in terms of sales and excitement.

But as I said before, I think the real reason is that profit/ease of AFM's sparse playfield re-manufacture, compared to CC or MB.

We'll see! After all, if AFMr turns out to be $6k then I might actually order one!

#233 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

why MMR playfields aren't in shambles.

A couple of pinsiders posted their MMRs are ghosting just as bad as Stern's . Wonder what kind of replacement "program" CGC/PPS is coming up with.

#234 7 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

Welp, glad you're not running any pinball manufacturing companies.

I think he's trying to say something without saying it. I heard the same thing from someone. Not sure if there's any basis to it, but I've heard it too

#235 7 years ago

In at $2500

#236 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

A couple of pinsiders posted their MMRs are ghosting just as bad as Stern's . Wonder what kid of replacement "program" CGC/PPS is coming up with.

Curious were any pictures of this posted?

#237 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Curious were any pictures of this posted?

Yes. Give me enough time to rack my brain and I may be able to find them.

#238 7 years ago

It was this thread and it is clearcoat chipping.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/documenting-the-entire-life-of-a-medieval-madness-remake

Quoted from Okarcades:

Some clear coat is chipping off on the edge of the playfield in the moat.

Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I have clear coat chipping on my machine MMr with less than 100 plays, a piece of the clear coat about the size of a dime was was 'floating" so I broke it off;

#239 7 years ago

I never understood that CGC/Stern relationship. Stern is a competitor.

When Stern moved into their larger building, they had room to do assembly for other companies.

Stern buys cabinets and playfields from CGC, so they already have a working relationship.

So yes, Stern is a competitor, but I'm sure they would rather get $208 from each MMr, than get nothing at all.

#240 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'm sure they would rather get $208 from each MMr, than get nothing at all.

Plus in no way did they have to take responsible for defective playfields or parts that CGC provided them to assemble.

#241 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Stern buys cabinets and playfields already from CGC

Are Chicago Gaming and Churchill the same company?

#242 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Are Chicago Gaming and Churchill the same company?

Yes, divisions of the same.

#243 7 years ago

Uhhh, even if this were all true, blaming the multi-year MMR delay on Stern is a serious stretch. Based on Rick's own posts it sounds like PPS/CGC were a PITA for Stern to deal with, with bits and pieces arriving at various times and slowing Stern's assembly process/running up against production schedules on other Stern pins. Would be interesting to know if PPS/CGC decided to go it on their own this time, or if Stern declined to continue the relationship.

We will see what level of build quality CGC can deliver. The switch to Stern for MMR production may have been the best thing for MMR purchasers -- whatever you think of Stern, Stern's employees know how to put together pinball machines, whereas CGC is a question mark for now. Speaking of which, if late-model MMRs end up being assembled directly by CGC, that would give opportunity for a direct build quality comparison between Stern and CGC.

#244 7 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

People are dreaming, you meant to say.

Exactly right, and I alluded to that earlier.

I really don't disagree with what you are saying, I just think that there are people out there who are thinking differently (dreaming as you put it) and it certainly could have had an impact on your sale.

#245 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly right, and I alluded to that earlier.
I really don't disagree with what you are saying, I just think that there are people out there who are thinking differently (dreaming as you put it) and it certainly could have had an impact on your sale.

In which case, if AFMR is announced at $8k, it could actually boost the market for original AFMs! That would be an amusing turn of events.

#246 7 years ago

You could look at it another way... the pinball market these days is so small and "the water is cold" that manufacturers helping each other or even colluding might only strengthen them.

I work for 20th Century Fox Filmed Entertainment, and it was a mild surprise for me to learn when first brought on board just how much the movie studios cooperate (Sony/Warner/Fox/Paramount). Now, the movie/TV business isn't "small" in terms of dollars, but in terms of the number of blockbuster movies and TV shows being produced a year is fairly small with little "head space." People will go see all the new movies (in general)--it doesn't really make sense to have brand loyalty to movie studios from a customer's perspective.

This is how I see pinball, too. You make a good game, everyone wants it--no matter what it says on the MFD. BY sticker.

#247 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

You could look at it another way... the pinball market these days is so small and "the water is cold" that manufacturers helping each other or even colluding might only strengthen them.

I work for 20th Century Fox Filmed Entertainment, and it was a mild surprise for me to learn when first brought on board just how much the movie studios cooperate (Sony/Warner/Fox/Paramount). Now, the movie/TV business isn't "small" in terms of dollars, but in terms of the number of blockbuster movies and TV shows being produced a year is fairly small with little "head space." People will go see all the new movies (in general)--it doesn't really make sense to have brand loyalty to movie studios from a customer's perspective.

This is how I see pinball, too. You make a good game, everyone wants it--no matter what it says on the MFD. BY sticker.

I just can't see Stern helping or cooperating with Jersey Jack. Possibly with CGC because of their long standing relationship but Jack?

#248 7 years ago

I just can't see Stern helping or cooperating with Jersey Jack. Possibly with CGC because of their long standing relationship but Jack?

Never. If any of their independent contractors chose to do work for JJP, they're booted.

#249 7 years ago

Ah thanks...yeah saw the clearcoat chipping but no ghosting that I am aware of. Both are bad though.

#250 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Maybe the machine, the labor and overhead have to double that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 21.50
Wanted
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

There are 754 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/amfr-pps-announced-next-remake/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.