View topic image gallery

1 (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
IMG_1620 (resized).PNG
Resized_20170315_091133 (resized).jpg
IMG_1368 (resized).JPG
17022134_1015723185196495_5847008981864314168_n (resized).jpg
IMG_1071 (resized).PNG
vinyl-victorian-picket-fence-scalloped-1-1-2-balusters-pickets-5-sq-post-size-4.gif (resized).jpg
aliens-ufo (resized).jpg
RicketyCricket (resized).jpg
20170129_174405 (resized).jpg
20170129_174400 (resized).jpg
20170129_112417 (resized).jpg
IMG_8727 (resized).JPG
457464945_640 (resized).jpg
Miranda-Kerr (resized).jpg
There are 754 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 16.
#101 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I wouldn't care either way what someone called it. Neither are cheap. Both are top 5 games. There are no losers here, though MM has better strategy and rules and doesn't have that god awful video mode.
You only need one in a collection.

What are you talking about? The video mode for MM is worse and the rules for MM are more repetitive. I have both in my collection and they do not feel all that alike. I play AFM and my wife and guests prefer MM. It's pretty funny when someone is telling others what they need in a over priced hobby.

#102 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Remake something people can afford and is rare, maybe Rescue The Transporter, Stargazer, Quicksilver, Seawitch, Robowar, TX Sector or other titles in demand that are hard to obtain but sought after, MM and AFM at 10K I can get one at the price anyway, AFM is a great game.

Lol I'm just picturing the look on the majority of pinball player/ current game buyers faces if PPS was ever like "and now we reveal our 3rd remake...... ROBOWAR!" lmfao omg

Most of those games you listed are pretty cool, and not very common, but most of the demand comes from the kitschyness (is that a word?), especially the Gottliebs. While I admit if you have an example of one of these games you'll be able to sell it easily, and there are a few folks out there actively searching for these titles there is nowhere near enough demand for an old (but unique) game like those you listed to be remade.

All that said, I do agree with the sentiment that AFM is not the best game to be remade either, but if they can hit the right price point, it could do well.

#103 7 years ago

I love AFM, more than MM, it's one of the few B/W games out there I'd still really like to own and I'd enjoy it if I bought it. But I suspect the price point will be a pass, unless it bucks the current game price trends. And really, does that feel likely?

Surprise me Rick!

#104 7 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

Just recently a guy who was selling a beat up AFM told me the remake was going to be well over 8.5k but another man who was there looking at it said it would be well under $6500 !

Funny how that works.

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I love AFM, more than MM, it's one of the few B/W games out there I'd still really like to own and I'd enjoy it if I bought it. But I suspect the price point will be a pass, unless it bucks the current game price trends. And really, does that feel likely?
Surprise me Rick!

But it's not up to Rick, it's up to CGC!

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Funny how that works.

Disclaimer...that is a made up story!

#107 7 years ago

I own MM but prefer AFM. I think it's more a players game. I'm interested to see what remake looks like and the features it has (like Bill Ung's mod or lit Martian eyes) I'll probably pick up a restored original down the road though.

#108 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah yeah, it's all shorthand. I don't care who's making it, just want to know if it's $8k so I can put it out of my mind.

#109 7 years ago

If it does not sell for Stern Pro pricing, then no thanks. Sorry but when I can find nice originals for 6500, why would I ever want a remake for more?

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Sorry but when I can find nice originals for 6500, why would I ever want a remake for more?

The "nice" originals for 6500 I see usually look like a gopher gnawed on them and the cabs are faded to 1 color...

#111 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

In tournaments, MM becomes basically a one shot game. Shoot castle, try to survive, repeat.
AFM is significantly more complex with multiball, stacking hurry ups, Total Annihilation and even Rule the Universe all being valid options.
Both great games, but strategy favors AFM.

LOL...for tournaments most games become pretty boring. There is more to do in MM.

#112 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

The "nice" originals for 6500 I see usually look like a gopher gnawed on them and the cabs are faded to 1 color...

I guess I got lucky?

ColorDMD, mirror blades, nice pf, nice cab. Had some lamp matrix issues but I fugured those out with a little effort.

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah yeah, it's all shorthand. I don't care who's making it, just want to know if it's $8k so I can put it out of my mind.

I'd like to think they'd see the advantages of selling it for less (NIB buyers would be tempted to swing their way vs. other options for new games) ...but then again they thought it was a good idea to sell a "key" to the Color ROM already on the game for $199/$399...so, I'm guessing it'll be $8k for a base game, $10k for some kind of LE.

They totally COULD sell it for less and still make a ton. Game was already designed and tested 20 years ago, no cost there. The CGC system has been designed & tested on MMR, so costs are less there vs. MMR. They're building it themselves now, so they don't have to pay Stern...probably some cost savings there. They could probably sell these in the $6k's and do very very well.

#114 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If it does not sell for Stern Pro pricing, then no thanks. Sorry but when I can find nice originals for 6500, why would I ever want a remake for more?

I can buy a Pac-Man for $300...but Namco has been making new Pac-Man arcade games for years for what...$3000 or so? ...and they sell...because hardcore hobbyists are not the customers for these things. Casual people with rec rooms and money to blow are. They don't care if it's original. They want something brand new and cool.

We have to remember these remakes aren't necessarily geared toward hardcore hobbyists. People who've never heard of a forum or owned a pinball machine go to a new dealer and ask "What new games can I buy?". These games are for them.

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

ColorDMD, mirror blades, nice pf, nice cab.

That's a needle in a haystack for 6500 around here at least.

#116 7 years ago

Why wouldn't BBB be the next title. It's rare, expensive and fun. There are plenty of AFM with repro playfields out there. There are 3450 AFM out there and maybe 200 BBB. That to me seems like a no brainer.

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

People who've never heard of a forum or owned a pinball machine go to a new dealer and ask "What new games can I buy?". These games are for them.

And for me. Every AFM I see has twenty years of use in it. Fck that. I want a new one.

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Why wouldn't BBB be the next title. It's rare, expensive and fun. There are plenty of AFM with repro playfields out there. There are 3450 AFM out there and maybe 200 BBB. That to me seems like a no brainer.

It could be that PPS does not actually own the rights to Capcom pinball.

They might have taken all of Gene's stuff, but the Capcom license may not have been transferable.

#119 7 years ago

Afm was a cheap game to produce. Mm was not. If they cost the same that's ridiculous.

#120 7 years ago

I think PPS have to price AFMr at Sterns premium price point.. any more will be a tough sell.

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

Afm was a cheap game to produce. Mm was not. If they cost the same that's ridiculous.

Why would they have been different in terms of productions costs? What am I missing?

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Why would they have been different in terms of productions costs? What am I missing?

Parts

#123 7 years ago

Ill hold to my guns.....$5995 and he would sell TONS!

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

Also, lots of people jumped at MMR because they were selling for what? 15k at the time? When MMR was announced, you could now have a BRAND NEW MM for about half the price. People's minds were blown. Then of course PPS announced that the run was unlimited and many people that had intentions of flipping the game dropped out. But AFM is a completely different situation. If the price is not lower than MMR, I don't see them selling nearly as many as they did MMR.

MM at time of MMR announcement = $12,000-$15,000
MMR cost = $8,000

AFM at time of AFMR announcement =$6,500-$7,500
AFMR cost = $8,000

#126 7 years ago

I'm out at anything above $6500....even that's a big stretch for me right now....MMR was a one off for me. It took me 2 years to save up for that....

With that said- if this does come out- anyone in the market for a nice (very nice) Fun House?

#127 7 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Why wouldn't BBB be the next title. It's rare, expensive and fun.

If they remade BBB it would no longer be rare, and the demand would drop considerably.

#128 7 years ago

Can't wait to buy.......an original........

No more remakes for me unless the price point blows me away. I'm happy with my MMRLE purchase but I'll just look for a lower priced nice original AFM.

#129 7 years ago

AFM - my favorite game I think.

I was waiting for AFMR but decided I love how nice originals play and found one with no fade and an original playfield - job done

#130 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

In tournaments, MM becomes basically a one shot game. Shoot castle, try to survive, repeat.
AFM is significantly more complex with multiball, stacking hurry ups, Total Annihilation and even Rule the Universe all being valid options.
Both great games, but strategy favors AFM.

You are absolutely correct about this.

But who cares? In the home environment MM is anything but a one shot game. The vast majority of people who buy MMr don't give a shit about the best "tournament strategy."

#131 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Exactly. Hilton likes to make up his own values for high demand pins.

#132 7 years ago

I still don't see this happening. This isn't an announcement... what this was a leak of a machine they built.
Please re-title the thread; as Rick / PPS / CGC has *not* announced a single thing.

#133 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I still don't see this happening. This isn't an announcement... what this was a leak of a machine they built.
Please re-title the thread; as Rick / PPS / CGC has *not* announced a single thing.

Maybe you could take the time to actually click on the link in the second post in this thread.

#134 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You are absolutely correct about this.
But who cares? In the home environment MM is anything but a one shot game. The vast majority of people who buy MMr don't give a shit about the best "tournament strategy."

He said MM was superior in terms of strategy. I disagree. Deal with it.

#135 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly. Hilton likes to make up his own values for high demand pins.

It seems to be a Wisconsin thing. Hilly & Neo always think Wisconsin pinball prices, specifically the deals they might have scored due to their patience and connections = what happens everywhere else.

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

He said MM was superior in terms of strategy. I disagree. Deal with it.

I did deal with it...by disagreeing with what you said. Well, actually I agreed with what you said, but said that it really doesn't matter. Obviously you are the one having a problem dealing with that.

#137 7 years ago

Pinball rules fiiiiight!

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

7) dialed in ,(which I think looks dreadful) and Jjp's next announced game if he's still in business after DI.

Seriously bro? I'm not even a JJP backer but that game freaking plays fantastic.

#139 7 years ago

So was there not a statement made at one time from PPS to give a discount on the purchase of the 2nd game remade if you purchased a MMR if I remember correctly before Rick forgets it? Does anyone remember that besides me?

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Seriously bro? I'm not even a JJP backer but that game freaking plays fantastic.

Sure, but at $9k it's a tough sell in the "modern pinball economy"...which is "theme, theme, theme". Theme drives sales before people even know what they're getting (see Ghostbusters and Batman). Nostalgic themes make people forget about the ridiculousness of price. If JJP can survive Dialed-In not selling so well up front...the good thing is they can keep it in production forever since they don't have to pay a license...so, if it picks up popularity down the road, it'll always be in their catalog to sell.

#141 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Sure, but at $9k it's a tough sell in the "modern pinball economy"...which is "theme, theme, theme". Theme drives sales before people even know what they're getting (see Ghostbusters and Batman). Nostalgic themes make people forget about the ridiculousness of price. If JJP can survive Dialed-In not selling so well up front...the good thing is they can keep it in production forever since they don't have to pay a license...so, if it picks up popularity down the road, it'll always be in their catalog to sell.

Speaking only for myself, I thought about Dialed In for a minute but the problem is not the lack of theme... its the theme. A cell phoney theme... yeesh. Could have picked anything else and I'd be more interested.

Also, to draw a distinction between theme and license... I think what you're really talking about is licensed properties and the built in audience that comes with them (similar to what is going on in hollywood where anything with a built in audience gets made). Cool themes can be with (Addams, MB) or without (AFM, MM) license.

Good point made about the ability to perpetually sell an unlicensed theme like Dialed In.

#142 7 years ago

I'm surprised we haven't seen "leaked" pics...

#143 7 years ago

Nifty LED instagram is slackin'

#144 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I guess I got lucky?
ColorDMD, mirror blades, nice pf, nice cab. Had some lamp matrix issues but I fugured those out with a little effort.

Sold mine 2 years ago, no errors, nice pf and cab, Bill Ung saucers, new siderails. $7200. Maybe I finally timed a sale right.... Won't be buying a remake though. Paid $2800 for it 10 years ago.

#145 7 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Sold mine 2 years ago, no errors, nice pf and cab, Bill Ung saucers, new siderails. $7200. Maybe I finally timed a sale right.... Won't be buying a remake though. Paid $2800 for it 10 years ago.

I thought about 2 years ago a nice modded AFM was going for at least $8-9k? Maybe I'm thinking a few years back.

#146 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'll put $1K it outsells Aerosmith, and Batman 66.

#147 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Unless everything goes perfectly and it's a complete success - then it's all because of Rick and PPS.

#148 7 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

I'll put $1K it outsells Aerosmith, and Batman 66.

I would take that bet and thinking Aerosmith will outsale Dialed In...the problem is that there is no way to prove it.

#149 7 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

I thought about 2 years ago a nice modded AFM was going for at least $8-9k? Maybe I'm thinking a few years back.

Sounds kinda high, depends on the mods I guess. Leds, color DMD, etc can add up. Mine just had the saucers. I think anything over 8k would have involved new decals and/or playfield. Regardless, kinda wish I hadn't sold it but it did allow me to get a few other games. Luckily a few local guys have one so the chance to Rule the Universe is always close by!

#150 7 years ago

Is it to early to start speculating on what's the next remake after AFMR? I'm sure there will be ten treads by the end of the week!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 21.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
There are 754 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/amfr-pps-announced-next-remake/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.