Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Md2020
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

donkey (resized).png
    There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

I’ll start!

Potential customer: Will you take (offer 200 less than asking)? AND deliver it (50 miles away)?

(Keep in mind, I think I’m asking a fair amount for the machine, price guide according to pinside, with a +-200.00 buffer. (Not bullshit Seattle prices))

Total shitpost, I know. downvote away.
    I don’t deal with or do business with these types.
    So far, so good.

#2 3 years ago

Lastly, who delivers a used machine, sight unseen, to a buyer? Has that ever happened on here?
    Has anyone literally delivered a machine to an address someone gave them on the internet successfully??
    I want to know

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Md2020:

Lastly, who delivers a used machine, sight unseen, to a buyer? Has that ever happened on here?
    Has anyone literally delivered a machine to an address someone gave them on the internet successfully??
    I want to know

Absolutely, sometimes it's the only way to get the deal done. But you can tell much about someone by talking to them on the phone rather then in a email.

John

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Md2020:

I’ll start!
    Potential customer: Will you take (offer 200 less than asking)? AND deliver it (50 miles away)?
    (Keep in mind, I think I’m asking a fair amount for the machine, price guide according to pinside, with a +-200.00 buffer. (Not bullshit Seattle prices))
    So far, so good.

Doesn't seem like an unreasonable request, especially if the buyer has no way to get it themselves without renting a truck.

Had my Black Knight and SoF delivered to me sight unseen from further distances with no issue. I had to re-cap the power board on BK, but that was a simple fix, and I personally wouldn't leave sellers hanging in these scenarios regardless (both known members in the community). I'm not afraid to work on a game, and I generally expect small issues to arise while moving.

I rented a vehicle to drive halfway to meet someone to trade my MET for a JD and MSF sight unseen (and neither party able to test the games at the trade site) with no issue.

That said, if the buyer is unknown to the hobby, then take caution in wasting your time and effort, but this sounds far from "AFPB" material...

#5 3 years ago

Well I didn't have it delivered to me sight unseen but I did drive 110 miles to pick up my Circus sight unseen after having talked with the seller over the phone and guess what, machine was actually in better shape than he'd been telling me it was. I don't recommend this as a good business practice but it worked out great for me on this one.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Md2020:

I want to know

I've done that several times. And met someone part way to do so. Once delivered a WOZ 800 miles on the way to visit my folks, who turned out not to be home that week. Delivered it anyway. Can't remember the price but it was definitely competitive

#7 3 years ago

I had a game for sale for $900. Guy messaged me, asked me my best price. I told him the lowest I could go was $750. He responds "How about $400, and you also deliver it and set it up?".

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I had a game for sale for $900. Guy messaged me, asked me my best price. I told him the lowest I could go was $750. He responds "How about $400, and you also deliver it and set it up?".

It's hard to imagine how much of the world's time that guy has wasted in his lifetime, but I bet it's a lot.

#9 3 years ago

It’s a quick no and move on. It’s worse when they try that shit in person.

#10 3 years ago

I've delivered a machine to someone who didn't have the means to do it.

I've gotten a few machines delivered from a trusted person.

I've made parking lot trades where we met half-way (Lowe's and Home Depot are great for this).

I'm not sure what the problem is but depending on the price of the machine and demand, sometimes you just do what you have to do.

As far as dollars off/cost, it depends on the machine. A $7K machine is different than a $2K pin.

#11 3 years ago

My favorite was a recent one where I have a pin listed for $3000. Guy says "it's not a must have for my collection, but I like it. Will you take $2100? Not to insult, just what I would pay"

Apparently I'm doing this haggling thing wrong. I usually just buy at asking and don't tell someone I don't even really want it, haha

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Md2020:I’ll start!
    So far, so good.

There would literally be 1000’s of threads if every seller started one when someone offered them something well below going price, let alone Pinside average, and asked for help with delivery. Especially as an initial offer.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I've done that several times. And met someone part way to do so. Once delivered a WOZ 800 miles on the way to visit my folks, who turned out not to be home that week. Delivered it anyway. Can't remember the price but it was definitely competitive

I too have driven to deliver a machine, and I have also meet someone half way to swap machines. When you live in the middle of a pinball desert, you have to be will in to deliver a machine in order to sell them.

#14 3 years ago

I've been asked if I could deliver and set up a few times. Not an unreasonable request when the general public aren't all pinball owners. Requesting two hundred dollars less? Really big deal?

Maybe this person doesn't spend all day on pinside watching the prices.
    To me its unreal that any offer would piss people off. I've sold about 20 and I expect lower offers.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I had a game for sale for $900. Guy messaged me, asked me my best price. I told him the lowest I could go was $750.

I don't like when I get the comment "what's the lowest you'll go?" I usually say that they are welcome to make an offer. I'm not going to haggle against myself.

#16 3 years ago

I was selling my Last Action Hero a while ago. Someone offered me a Dale Jr for LAH + $3k...

#17 3 years ago

“I’m interested in your game, but the price seems really steep!”
    - oh I thought it was priced too low!

“I’ll take the game if you cover shipping!”
    -Sure, I didn’t need this 500 bucks. Let’s do it!

“I hear you’ve bought and sold hundreds of games over 20 years, but here’s a complete tutorial on the pinball market, and here’s why your game is worth thousands less than you are asking”
    -great! Thanks for the condescending free lesson it’s super appreciated! Allow me to disregard everything I’ve learned in 20 years and accept your insulting lowball offer.

#18 3 years ago

Not really a potential buyer story, but similar. Had a non pinhead neighbor over taking a slight interest in the machines. Looking at my Tspp, TZ, taf, and fh, asked curiously, “so, what do these things cost, like $500?”

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Not really a potential buyer story, but similar. Had a non pinhead neighbor over taking a slight interest in the machines. Looking at my Tspp, TZ, taf, and fh, asked curiously, “so, what do these things cost, like $500?”

Lol. Get that all the time. Then after saying the game you are looking at would cost about 9-10k they slowly look around at the other 40 pins and you can see their wheels turning. Lol.

#20 3 years ago

My first game I ever sold was a cheap EM on Ebay. Was talked into delivering a couple hours away for an extra $50. The guy was real fussy about it but after helping him get it set up and playing we were good to go. Got a speeding ticket on the way home. In retrospect I would have been money ahead just wheeling it out to the curb for trash pickup.

#21 3 years ago

If you're ever insulted by a guy's lowball deal, just say you'll take the deal if you can have sex with his wife. That'll fix 'im.

EDIT: If he doesn't like that deal, tell him you'll drive 50 miles to have sex with his wife, too. Should do the trick.

#22 3 years ago

I had a deal made up but couldn't make the trip due to complications so the seller drove it down to my house and even stayed to help set it up. I think he drove well over an hour one way. Some pinsiders are great people.

I also met a person halfway for a sale and we exchanged the machine in a mall parking lot. Another great pinsider.

If pics are exchanged and you trust the honesty and reputation of the seller/buyer, I don't think you are going too far out on a limb. This community is pretty small.

#23 3 years ago

I’ve gotten the whole, “I live X00 miles away so will you take off a few hundred for gas and tolls?” with almost every game I’ve sold. You wouldn’t do that at a store that was far away.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from Medisinyl:

Doesn't seem like an unreasonable request, especially if the buyer has no way to get it themselves without renting a truck.
    Had my Black Knight and SoF delivered to me sight unseen from further distances with no issue. I had to re-cap the power board on BK, but that was a simple fix, and I personally wouldn't leave sellers hanging in these scenarios regardless (both known members in the community). I'm not afraid to work on a game, and I generally expect small issues to arise while moving.
    I rented a vehicle to drive halfway to meet someone to trade my MET for a JD and MSF sight unseen (and neither party able to test the games at the trade site) with no issue.
    That said, if the buyer is unknown to the hobby, then take caution in wasting your time and effort, but this sounds far from "AFPB" material...

Believe me, I get the fact that we all should help each other out, etc. but I get nervous about selling a machine to someone who hasn’t even seen it. I don’t get enjoyment out of moving these machines unless I’m bringing a new one home.
    I’m more than willing to help someone load it, and when I sell a machine, even against my better judgement, I tell the buyer to call me if they have any problems with it. (This goes for anything I sell, kind of like a little warranty).
    I’m not out to scam anybody, and I post these stupid overly long ads to try to describe issues etc as to not waste anyone’s time.
    What I don’t want to do is slip my discs loading a machine (by myself of course) only to drive out and have a tire kicker bust my balls. At that point, the machines already out there, and bringing it back home is out of the question.
    I definitely am willing to negotiate on prices, but to lowball AND ask me to deliver it in the same sentence feels like a kick in the testis.
    Idk maybe its cause I’m turning into an old man lol.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Md2020:

Believe me, I get the fact that we all should help each other out, etc. but I get nervous about selling a machine to someone who hasn’t even seen it. I don’t get enjoyment out of moving these machines unless I’m bringing a new one home.
    I’m more than willing to help someone load it, and when I sell a machine, even against my better judgement, I tell the buyer to call me if they have any problems with it. (This goes for anything I sell, kind of like a little warranty).
    I’m not out to scam anybody, and I post these stupid overly long ads to try to describe issues etc as to not waste anyone’s time.
    What I don’t want to do is slip my discs loading a machine (by myself of course) only to drive out and have a tire kicker bust my balls. At that point, the machines already out there, and bringing it back home is out of the question.
    I definitely am willing to negotiate on prices, but to lowball AND ask me to deliver it in the same sentence feels like a kick in the testis.
    Idk maybe its cause I’m turning into an old man lol.

What game are you selling? I have a friend in Kent looking for a game.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I don't like when I get the comment "what's the lowest you'll go?" I usually say that they are welcome to make an offer. I'm not going to haggle against myself.

yeah and then they want to renegotiate at that low offer

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from jamescardona:

I had a deal made up but couldn't make the trip due to complications so the seller drove it down to my house and even stayed to help set it up. I think he drove well over an hour one way. Some pinsiders are great people.
    I also met a person halfway for a sale and we exchanged the machine in a mall parking lot. Another great pinsider.
    If pics are exchanged and you trust the honesty and reputation of the seller/buyer, I don't think you are going too far out on a limb. This community is pretty small.

Hey man, this community IS great. But a one sentence offer of less than asking and a delivery without asking a single question about the machine itself is reckless to me.
    This isn’t a 10 year old machine, this a 35+year old SS.

Quoted from Yelobird:

What game are you selling? I have a friend in Kent looking for a game.

It’s a pretty nice Stern Lightning. Not sure if it’s his cup of tea or not. Thanks for asking!

#28 3 years ago

Anytime the conversation pivots to some variation of "check with the wife", "borrow a truck", "check the budget" you can definitely downgrade the person from "potential buyer" status to "window shopping" status. I've also learned my lesson on warning signs for "potential" buyers when they start asking for 50 pictures on a title they are "thinking about" or "might be interested in". Happened to me twice recently when talking with someone about a trade and they asked for a ton of pictures via email. The next day they decided it wasn't a title they were really looking for. Fine, I don't care if you want my game or not, it's not personal, but why waste someone's time picture collecting?

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Anytime the conversation pivots to some variation of "check with the wife", "borrow a truck", "check the budget" you can definitely downgrade the person from "potential buyer" status to "window shopping" status. I've also learned my lesson on warning signs for "potential" buyers when they start asking for 50 pictures on a title they are "thinking about" or "might be interested in". Happened to me twice recently when talking with someone about a trade and they asked for a ton of pictures via email. The next day they decided it wasn't a title they were really looking for. Fine, I don't care if you want my game or not, it's not personal, but why waste someone's time picture collecting?

That’s horrible! I totally forgot about those types of sales. I’ve had that happen many times along with “Could you measure it?”. another classic

#30 3 years ago

“It’s a pretty nice Stern Lightning. Not sure if it’s his cup of tea or not. Thanks “

A lightning you say ? If knock $500 bucks off and deliver to Reno Nv I’ll take it !

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from NevadaNutJob:

“It’s a pretty nice Stern Lightning. Not sure if it’s his cup of tea or not. Thanks “
    A lightning you say ? If knock $500 bucks off and deliver to Reno Nv I’ll take it !

Road Trip!!

#32 3 years ago

Maybe I’m missing something. You say you priced it with a +/- $200 buffer and are insulted by an offer that’s $200 less than your ask?

If that insults you, I think you’re in the wrong hobby. Also

Quoted from Md2020:

I want to know

A “shit ton of people” is the correct answer to this question.

#33 3 years ago

Asking for $200 lower price than asking price does not sound like low balling to me, I'd think most buyers expect to be able to negotiate the price down a bit. The delivery ask does sound a bit extreme, but if you have the means to do that and the buyer not you could try to put a price on it (e.g. I'll deliver it for $100 or something) if the buyer first stops buy to inspect the game and pay for it - if you want a game driving 50 miles to inspect it does not sound like out of whack to me

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Maybe I’m missing something. You say you priced it with a +/- $200 buffer and are insulted by an offer that’s $200 less than your ask?
    If that insults you, I think you’re in the wrong hobby. Also

A “shit ton of people” is the correct answer to this question.

As I stated, many times, above. I’m not insulted by a “lowball” offer. I was AMAZED by a lowball offer and delivery in the same sentence without even looking at it, or starting a conversation.
    I just thought it was funny. So, I’m really sorry if it offended you.
    Whether or not I’m in the “right” hobby, it’s got me, and there’s nothing I can do about it. I’m only selling this one to justify buying another machine.
    Maybe it’s the general population that lowball and want door to door delivery service that are the ones trying to get INTO the wrong hobby? Just a thought.

#35 3 years ago

We all just get bitchy when we are selling a game. We WANT it to sell. We get excited when we get some bites on an an ad. And then we get ANGRY when it doesn't translate into a sold game.

Most of these "bad buyer" things are pretty average, run of the mill stuff. I try not to get personally invested in this stuff, and I try not to fool myself into thinking a game is sold until it's actually sold. The vast majority of stuff people ask for - pics, more description - really isn't too much of a pain in the ass. I know I don't owe a prospective buyer anything, and at the same time he doesn't owe me anything.

Tranquilo baby!

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We all just get bitchy when we are selling a game. We WANT it to sell. We get excited when we get some bites on an an ad. And then we get ANGRY when it doesn't translate into a sold game.
    Most of these "bad buyer" things are pretty average, run of the mill stuff. I try not to get personally invested in this stuff, and I try not to fool myself into thinking a game is sold until it's actually sold. The vast majority of stuff people ask for - pics, more description - really isn't too much of a pain in the ass. I know I don't owe a prospective buyer anything, and at the same time he doesn't owe me anything.
    Tranquilo baby!

Yeah man. I don’t let it ruin my day, I just think some of it is comedy gold.
    I swear I remember reading a post not too long ago about a pinsider driving a LONG distance only to find out the seller sold the machine morning of without telling the pinsider he sold it-even after negotiating a meet up time with both parties knowing the pinsider was driving from far away.
    That wasn’t a funny story, though

#37 3 years ago

Speaking of both cheap and picky people

You can be cheap
    You can be picky

But if you are both you will piss off a lot of sellers

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from Md2020:

As I stated, many times, above. I’m not insulted by a “lowball” offer. I was AMAZED by a lowball offer and delivery in the same sentence without even looking at it, or starting a conversation.
    I just thought it was funny. So, I’m really sorry if this offends you.

Again, none of what the potential buyer is asking is out of the realm of normal, this is pinball.

I’m not offended in the least. I just think you need to temper expectations. I’ve driven 15 hours one way to pick up a pinball. I’ve brought pinballs to people hrs away. I had someone come buy a pin and stay the night so they didn’t have to do 16hrs of driving in one day. All of this is normal in this hobby. It’s a whacky world.

#39 3 years ago

Actually now that I think about it. I’m excited for you. You have so many WTF moments coming your way. Keep us posted!

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Again, none of what the potential buyer is asking is out of the realm of normal, this is pinball.
    I’m not offended in the least. I just think you need to temper expectations. I’ve driven 15 hours one way to pick up a pinball. I’ve brought pinballs to people hrs away. I had someone come buy a pin and stay the night so they didn’t have to do 16hrs of driving in one day. All of this is normal in this hobby. It’s a whacky world.

Right on man. I’m not above delivering, believe me. I would even deliver with a “lower” offer, (with an agreed upon arrangement of course). I guess I’m just wary of people in general due to experiences selling other things in the past (long distance no-shows, sketchy situations, you know the usual). With something this big and heavy, I want to get to know the person first, you know? I’m slowly figuring out the scene, and you’re totally dead on, it IS wacky!

#41 3 years ago

"I would buy a new Ninja Turtles pinball sight unseen. It is my dream theme and I still have my bedroom decorated the way it was when I was ten years old"

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

"I would buy a new Ninja Turtles pinball sight unseen. It is my dream theme and I still have my bedroom decorated the way it was when I was ten years old"

OMG. Now that’s a nice reference.

#43 3 years ago

My favorite was when selling a game. The potential buyer wanted everything fixed. And a 90 day warranty.

I'm thinking yeah, he's in there blowing crap up every day and I get to go fix it. Yup I'll get right on that.

I replied simply, NO.

LTG : )

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

My favorite was when selling a game. The potential buyer wanted everything fixed. And a 90 day warranty.
    I'm thinking yeah, he's in there blowing crap up every day and I get to go fix it. Yup I'll get right on that.
    I replied simply, NO.
    LTG : )

Yes, if they have any questions about how a pinball machine works, they get scratched off the buyers list immediately.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If they have any questions about how a pinball machine works, they get scratched off the buyers list immediately.

I know Pinsiders hate car analogies, but after reading this post I just have to mention this.

I put my 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT up for sale in 2016 (owned since new - 63K miles on the odometer).
    The first potential buyer looks her over and gets a test drive.
    Then I popped the hood and trunklid for him and he asks, "Do all Fieros have the engine in the back?"

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from IceMaster:

I’ve gotten the whole, “I live X00 miles away so will you take off a few hundred for gas and tolls?” with almost every game I’ve sold. You wouldn’t do that at a store that was far away.

That's definitely different than driving a game out to someone/meeting them halfway. I would say no to that guy, but I would happily drive a game out (within reason I guess) if the buyer had no other way to get there.

I also prefer to do that for inexperienced buyers so they have less hassle in getting into the hobby. They'll get all the hassles later on when the game breaks BWAHAHA.

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

he asks, "Do all Fieros have the engine in the back?"

Nope. Just the flammable ones.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Yep, I remember when I learned that lesson.

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

I know Pinsiders hate car analogies, but after reading this post I just have to mention this.
    I put my 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT up for sale in 2016 (owned since new - 63K miles on the odometer).
    The first potential buyer looks her over and gets a test drive.
    Then I popped the hood and trunklid for him and he asks, "Do all Fieros have the engine in the back?"

Did he ask you to move it up front for him?

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That's definitely different than driving a game out to someone/meeting them halfway. I would say no to that guy, but I would happily drive a game out (within reason I guess) if the buyer had no other way to get there.
    I also prefer to do that for inexperienced buyers so they have less hassle in getting into the hobby. They'll get all the hassles later on when the game breaks BWAHAHA.

“When the game breaks”. That’s as sure as death and taxes. That’s a whole other prospect to be worried about: Machine works flawlessly set up at your place. You agree to move it, But it gets jostled in such a way that it no longer works when you set it up for the buyer. Then what? Haha

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/americas-funniest-potential-buyers?hl=krupps4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.