(Topic ID: 236763)

American Pinball Sherlock Holmes simmering in development!

By PinMonk

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Sherlock_Holmes_McAdams_Poster_thumb_0 (resized).jpg
    image-2019-03-05-1_8A8CA330E117440B90FE67884DF09F62 (resized).jpg
    basilsherlock (resized).jpg
    1555469078240803393410 (resized).jpg
    21089733538_cf341b2ca2_b (resized).jpg
    51OJ0mKCM+L (resized).jpg
    75F81817-293D-4A51-A741-CF33E82DB8BB (resized).jpeg
    American Pinball Sherlock Holmes (resized).jpg
    There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

I have been a fan since I was a kid.

Quoted from rosh:

If we do it,

I hope at some point American Pinball does it. With that kind of interest in the subject, that will make for a very interesting pinball machine. Way better than Who Dunnit. Just think of the possibilities of just trying to sort out all the clues and suspects with the players being Sherlock, Watson, Moriarty, or Lestrade. Players could also be the good guy or the bad guy.

Lots of material to chose from.
    LTG : )

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

I am certainly a bigger fan of Holmes than Houdini. I have been a fan since I was a kid. I've read all of the original stories and dozens of stories written by other authors. I once wrote a Holmes story for a college course (and yes I got an A). I got my first deer stalker in High School and wore it throughout my college years (although none of the ones I own still fit my head (insert giant ego jokes here), and while Conan Doyle never said he wore a deerstalker hat, the hat described by Watson in the books, would most assuredly was a deerstalker, and it is certainly the head gear we all associate with him. I also have a meerschaum pipe.
    While Basil Rathbone, Jeremy Brett, Robert Downey Jr, and Benedict Cumberbatch might be the first that come to mind, there have been over 250 actors who have played Holmes, more than any other literary character. I've seen dozens of these and I'd have to say Rathbone and Brett are among my favorites, of course part of the large number of movies/episodes they did. Rathbone established how many picture Holmes, but many consider Brett's portrayal as being truer to the original stories (with Burke and Hardwickes' version of Watson less 'bumbling' then Nigel Bruce's). I think Cumberbatch has done a good job in bringing that same haugtiness to the role as Brett did. Regardless, we would not be basing it around any one specific actor or their take on the character.
    Obviously this is a title I have had interest in and the company grabbed it to at least humor me. If we do it, and there is certainly no guarantee we will, it has to be done right and while I do have a ton of ideas, until I have it mapped out in way a way that makes it truly special, it will remain on the back burner. It certainly would not be like most other machines, so, I already know some will love that and some will hate that. Having said all of this, most of you know I will happily take good ideas from anywhere and take credit for them -- odds are I already thought of it anyway , so, feel free to make suggestions and I'll tuck them away for future use.

Limit it to 221 and price it accordingly. It will sell out sight unseen. This is not something that would appeal to the lowest common denominator pinball loving masses.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Limit it to 221 and price it accordingly. It will sell out sight unseen. This is not something that would appeal to the lowest common denominator pinball loving masses.

That's impossible to say until the pin exists. It may be a fantastic shooting pin with a theme some don't care for. In that case even people that don't like the theme will own the pin. See: The Shadow.

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I hope at some point American Pinball does it. With that kind of interest in the subject, that will make for a very interesting pinball machine. Way better than Who Dunnit. Just think of the possibilities of just trying to sort out all the clues and suspects with the players being Sherlock, Watson, Moriarty, or Lestrade. Players could also be the good guy or the bad guy.
    Lots of material to chose from.

I hadn't even considered swapping perspective. Being able to play as Moriarty on the same cases to play them from the other side would be awesome.

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

That's impossible to say until the pin exists. It may be a fantastic shooting pin with a theme some don't care for. In that case even people that don't like the theme will own the pin. See: The Shadow.

True. Except I doubt Midway considered The Shadow a commercial success and certainly never saw a dime of the appreciation.

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jgaltr56:

True. Except I doubt Midway considered The Shadow a commercial success and certainly never saw a dime of the appreciation.

There's much more of a community now and online has accelerated good news (and bad), so if Sherlock is a great shooting pin, word will get out and many people who may not be into Sherlock would be inclined to get it anyway. Much faster road to potential market acceptance/reverence than The Shadow.

#57 5 years ago

This would be a great theme! Thanks Rosh for coming in to this thread.

#58 5 years ago

I realized what a great idea this theme is.

Already we have a mystery. Will American Pinball make it ?

If so when ? Unveil where ? what will it all do ?

So many questions. So many mysteries.

Well played American Pinball.

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

If we do it,

Will Nirmal appear at shows with a deer stalker and trench coat and meerschaum pipe, and a little Watson ?

#60 5 years ago

With various modes based on famous Sherlock Holmes cases:

complete A Study in Scarlet to earn the ankle
    complete The Red-Headed League to earn the heel
    complete Hound of the Baskervilles to earn the arch
    complete The Sign of the Four to earn the toes

Because, after all, the game is a foot.

#61 5 years ago

It’s a more exciting theme than DI.

It’s got that going for it.

#62 5 years ago

An authentic Holmes pin would be awesome. A cliche with bad accents not so much. To give it focus, it might be worth choosing an actor and style, with all the plot and art package that goes with it. Jeremy Brett, Basil Rathbone, Benedict Cumberbatch etc. There's plenty of material - no fictional character has had more movies made about them than Holmes, or for a longer time period.

Or go for an original licence-free approach e.g. steampunk Victorian kick-ass Holmes. Or would that be Houdini 2?

#64 5 years ago

Heroin/cocaine/opium mode....im picturing the GI dimming and pulsing, the background music sloooows down and gets all echo-y, maybe the flipper buttons switch like in Ghostbusters. A general sense of confusion...certain shots would have to be hit to recover from the effects of the drug and get the game back to normal.

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Heroin/cocaine/opium mode....im picturing the GI dimming and pulsing, the background music sloooows down and gets all echo-y, maybe the flipper buttons switch like in Ghostbusters. A general sense of confusion...certain shots would have to be hit to recover from the effects of the drug and get the game back to normal.

I would have the flippers delay at a constant rate through the whole multiball, so you press the button and there's a delay for the flip. It would really mess with people in a more predictable and fun way than reversals. It would also simulate delayed responses from being on drugs.

Maybe have the pop bumpers start firing in a sequence like there's a ball there when there's not.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

would have the flippers delay at a constant rate through the whole multiball, so you press the button and there's a delay for the flip. I

“Last call” Outlane mode in Oktoberfest does this as you try to spell sober to then continue your ball

Quoted from Sinistarrett:

.certain shots would have to be hit to recover from the effects of

“Food coma” mini-wizard mode in Oktoberfest game play pauses until you work off enough calories then it resumes, flippers weak at start of mode they get stronger as you make needed shots

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

“Last call” Outlane mode in Oktoberfest does this as you try to spell sober to then continue your ball

Ahh the promise DH never came through with.
    Good stuff.

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

“Food coma” mini-wizard mode in Oktoberfest game play pauses until you work off enough calories then it resumes, flippers weak at start of mode they get stronger as you make needed shots

Wow, sounds like they already laid the groundwork for Opium mode. Those are innovative ideas!

1 week later
    #69 5 years ago

In case rosh havent thought of this already... A multistage Baskerville mode like Man from Beyond, in which a hound figure is lighted with a spotlight, but in the final stage of the mode, the playfield lights go out, and the spot switches to a black light and we see the hound glowing green while we play the ball in the dark, with maybe some limited moving spots of light simulating holmes' lantern.

Another idea -- we have to hit different targets to break Napoleon busts to find the hidden item, which could be in any one of them, similar to smashing the idols on TOTAN.

#70 5 years ago

This theme really lends itself to brown, but please, no more brown games.

#71 5 years ago

221b Baker St.
    This a stock photo.
    Backglass could incorporate this door.
    Or..., coin door could be the door!
    Side rails are wrought iron Steel.
    Lanterns hanging off of upper cab.
    Plunger is a door knocker.

21089733538_cf341b2ca2_b (resized).jpg21089733538_cf341b2ca2_b (resized).jpg
    #72 5 years ago

Missed this thread originally.. long live AP! Great idea for a theme

1 month later
    #73 5 years ago

My vote goes to the Rathbone/Bruce era. Elementary. . .

#74 5 years ago
    1555469078240803393410 (resized).jpg1555469078240803393410 (resized).jpg
    #75 5 years ago
    Quoted from McPin54:

[quoted image]

Oh boy please let the game be better than that hot garbage..

2 months later
    #76 4 years ago

I was watching Basil in The scarlet claw tonight and then thought, American pinball has a license!! Please give us this theme. NIB for me.

basilsherlock (resized).jpgbasilsherlock (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #77 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Oh boy please let the game be better than that hot garbage..

I couldnt help myself! I was reading the thread and that popped up on TV. LOL

3 weeks later
    #78 4 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

I sort of see it that way too, why file this now, if ever? Public Domain titles seem to be one of those "just keep it quiet and don't use previous versions that are protected" things.
    As you mentioned, licensed IP would give you exclusive/non-compete rights, and original IP isn't exactly high risk for c@ckblocking from another company releasing it before you. All are a little different, but if anyone is uncertain enough, then make sure you are really close to revealing before you file or you will ruin your reveal. If that's important to the company that is. Maybe AP doesn't care, but OK hasn't even started shipping yet.

A small company like AP might use filings as an indicator of enthusiasm among the community. One failed pin could be the end, so a surprise reveal might not be as important. Stern can have a surprise reveal and the pin could flop. Wait a few months and they are guaranteed to have another surprise reveal.

#79 4 years ago

image-2019-03-05-1_8A8CA330E117440B90FE67884DF09F62 (resized).jpgimage-2019-03-05-1_8A8CA330E117440B90FE67884DF09F62 (resized).jpg

#80 4 years ago

From a former "Houdini" owner,This theme is ripe,however,it was all done in Black and White!! And I agree that Rathbone and Bruce are the ones WE want in the pin doesn't mean they will do that!! This will be something to watch,But,I gotta play it first to make sure it doesn't shoot like a "Houdini"

#81 4 years ago

A downvote Hawkmoon?!

You cut me. You cut me real deep man.

Sherlock_Holmes_McAdams_Poster_thumb_0 (resized).jpgSherlock_Holmes_McAdams_Poster_thumb_0 (resized).jpg

#82 4 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

From a former "Houdini" owner,This theme is ripe,however,it was all done in Black and White!! And I agree that Rathbone and Bruce are the ones WE want in the pin doesn't mean they will do that!! This will be something to watch,But,I gotta play it first to make sure it doesn't shoot like a "Houdini"

Houdini doesn't shoot as bad as people keep harping on. Granted it's tight. But the satisfaction in a well played game feels oh so good.

If we could get the rathbone theme. I would love to see the five orange pips in a mode. Advancing all of the death scenes. All the way up to the reveal of the good comrades. That would be gold.

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-sherlock-holmes/page/2?hl=jwjr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.