85640A55-E0DB-4E40-A4B2-6DDB04D3935E (resized).jpeg
IMG_20170908_142900_820.jpg
3415465A-BEDD-47CF-8053-3B3809B395D1 (resized).png
IMG_20170220_205912137 (resized).jpg
68C6EAF4-C69F-4E6B-833C-72DAA68A9A73 (resized).png
dogcigar (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1509909419596 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180621_222904005 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#218 5 years ago

I'm going to go in a different direction on this one.

YES, AP should have just sent you a replacement board (that probably costs them $25 in bulk) and said "Thank you for believing in us!"

BUT, the real issue is that the boards are not Field Serviceable.

For that last 85 years, pinball was designed to be serviced on the spot. I used to yell at my guys "That game had better have caught fire!" if I saw them bringing a game back into the shop. (sometimes someone would flip an EM over and every switch would need adjustment, or Williams games were actually known for catching fire).

Every minute a game is down, it's losing the owner and the location money.

Drivers and pre-drivers kick the bucket all the time in the world of pinball. Probably the most common repair run.

So if an operator has to buy a $100 board every time + pay his tech (I charge $100/hr) + make 2 trips to the location + lose over a week of income = that might easily be a $500 loss.

It's OK to use surface mount components to save money, BUT on common failure parts, there had better be a blank set of pads next to it so a tech can solder in a thru-hole .40 cent replacement in the field.

#246 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Please expand on this. Due to lack of schematics? Because people know how to do smd work.

No schematics, is of course, as bad as it gets.

But pinball techs that go out to fix a game are not going to have a Hot-air SMD Rework S-
tation in their tool box; even if they do know how to do SMD Rework.

So, well designed SMD boards always have empty Thru-hole pads on the boards so that on-site techs can make repairs.

Zoom in on this pic:

jjjjj (resized).jpgjjjjj (resized).jpg

See how even though it's a surface mount board, there are empty holes next to each component to allow field repair with thru-hole parts?

See how a tech could fix this board with .30 cents worth of parts and a soldering pencil, instead of buying a new $100 replacement board?

Extra points to them for even supplying holes for parts that seldom fail.

-
If you ever repair your washing machine, you will see that that motor driver board has the same SMD transistor drivers on the board, but also has Thru-hole pads right next to them. This way the dopey appliance repair guy can solder in new transistors on the spot.

He does not have to come back with a whole new board as you go a week without laundry.

#249 5 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

WAY more effective and less costly to keep a handful of common transistors in the truck than a couple of each board that might fail.

Exactly.

And then you have to worry about having the current board version.

"Wait, I have v1.1 board, are you saying that won't work???"
"Unfortunately, that game takes v2.2 or higher boards, although not higher than v4, because that's when the pinout changed...."

#252 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

My point is, if I have to learn all this board repair that you’ve known for the past 40 years, then current OPs are going to have to learn this stuff. It’s no different.

SMD components have been around for 50 years, so it's not like pinball techs are learning anything new.

But since you can't repair SMD on location, they were not a good choice for games that constantly need their components replaced.

-

It's the same with guitar amps that use tubes. On tour, every amp you see is an old tube amp.

It's not really the "vintage tone" because there are new amps with the exact same circuits done up in SMD parts.

The reason that everyone uses those old amps is that the roadies can quickly service them on the spot with just a soldering pencil.

#256 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’m sure OPs bitched when early SS boards starting shitting the bed too. I’m sure having a bunch of spare coils and a leaf adjustment tool was way easier at the time.

When us Ops started to transition over to SS, we were already familiar with on-location board work from the jukeboxes and even early video games like Pong.

If games would have required us to buy new boards every time they broke down, pinball would have been over in the 70s

#257 5 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

Our PD-16 boards use standard, through-hole, TO-220 FETs (IRL540A). FETs can die if a coil is locked on; so we made them through-hole so they're easy to replace. Any logic upstream of the FET should only die if a serious power event happens (ie. short to high voltage). The rarity of that happening justifies the use of [less expensive to manufacture] SMD parts.
- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

Gerry,

Thank you for your prompt response!

Now, assuming the OP does not have a SMD rework station, how much will you guys charge to repair his blown board so he can have a spare on hand?

#260 5 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

I see the word "pre-driver" being called out as the problem here, but I suspect that's just the wrong word being used. It's more than likely just the FET, which is through-hole. Any standard PCB repair person could swap one out in minutes. I highly recommend pinside user borygard for all of your circuit board repairs.
- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

Interesting.

So if that's the case, then the OP sure did not need to buy that 2nd board - yikes.

Again, thanks for the prompt reply!

#262 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Now I.C.s are a different story, but even so small ones can be pulled and replaced in the field with a standard soldering iron; create a big solder bridge and work one side to the other, clean off old solder and install new one.

I can't even imagine how badly a SMD IC on-site repair would go from the average pin tech. lol

Quoted from bobukcat:

Your points about there being a lot of different components compared to "back in the day" is very valid but the train has left the station and I don't think it's coming back.

If pinball games can't be serviced on-site, they will die off.

Dark games don't make money, and earn less money when they are finally brought back online. "Hey want to play Sloth King?", "No that thing is always broken...."

#272 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Are you working on that tube-powered Pinball game?

Those are only for the cool kids in Texas.

Nixie Tube Pinball (resized).jpgNixie Tube Pinball (resized).jpg
#366 5 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Please post the warranty for any manufacturer that will replace an electronics piece after 90 days. I think you’re mistaken.

What he is saying is that, for instance, Stern commonly replaces faulty electronic parts a year latter for free, even if you are the 2nd owner.

#368 5 years ago

I found this old 80s campaign button in a drawer the other day.

s-l16hh00 (resized).jpgs-l16hh00 (resized).jpg
#382 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

If you feel either American Pinball or myself have acted carelessly or outside of the acceptable boundaries of pinball, contact me directly so I can address your concerns.

Here is a real life example of how some other companies in the market handle things:

I buy a NIB Transformers LE, 2 years after the game came out.

I don't buy it from any authorized vendor, just from a clod who bought 4 of them, thinking they would go up in value like Tron LE did.

When I unbox it, I find that it must be an early production and does not have the plastic ball trap guards that came latter with the game.

I call my local distributor, and he says you have to get them directly from Stern.

I call Stern, to order a set of the guards:

Vid: Hey, I bought a NIB Transformers yesterday...
Stern: [interrupting] That's a fun game, I still play it every day.
V: But, when I set it up this morning, I noticed that it does not have the ball trap guards under the ......
S: Hmmmmm, yeah, we added those [typing in the computer] after some had shipped.....yep got it!
V: Got any in stock?
S: Sure, can I get you to read me off the serial number of the game? What's your address?
V: It's 666 Raven Lane....
S: Excellent! Oh wait....I'm sorry UPS already went out today....Uh, can I get out to you tomorrow?
V: That's fine, do you need my CC number?
S: Nope. The serial is all we need.
V: Wow, that's cool.
S: Thank you sir.

Now that is a company that wants more of my business. No faxing in the invoice, no worrying about that I did not buy it from an authorized dealer, no worrying that I'm the 2nd owner, no trying to put obstacles in my way. Not even a "REALLY??? You just unboxed a 2 year old game that you bought yesterday?????"

-

Or one day I can't fix my 15 year old MESA Boogie bass amp. The tone controls just don't seem to be responding.

MESA: Good afternoon, Mike from tech here!
Vid: Hey I've got a MESA 400+ and even though all the components seem good, the tone circuit seems to have almost no effect.
M: Hmmmm, do you have the schematic?
V: No, I searched the net, but could not find that exact same model.
M: Got a fax?
V: Yes, its .....
M: OK, I'm going to fax you the schematic, we don't seem to have it in digital form anywhere in our files.
V: It's an odd amp for sure.
M: Yeah, I'll get this scanned and put up in few days. Anyway, what I guess is that you are missing the .00000047 cap from the .....
V: I'm looking right now and I don't see it at all.
M: You did not need it when the amp was new, but as all the component values drifted over the years, you need it.
V: Gotcha. I don't even see anyplace online that still has that part.
M: I'm going to send it to you.
V: Can I also buy the standby rocker switch, mine is cracked.
M: Sure.
V: And a dozen of the black case screws with the odd heads, mine looks like it got one of each screw ever made...
M: LOL, yep, seen that before.
V: What's my total?
M: Nothing. You are all set....Boogie is not here to nickel/dime you. What is it like $10 worth of parts? A $200 set of tubes is going to be a different story....

I've told the above stories probably 100 times.

You can't buy goodwill like that.
ind;l;ex (resized).jpgind;l;ex (resized).jpg

#391 5 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I know what he’s saying. He’s saying other companies have longer warranties. Which ones?

Spooky covers the entire game for 1 year.

JJP covers all the boards for 1 year.

Chicago Gaming covers all the boards for 1 year.

Stern says 9 months on display boards and 3 months on everything else, but in practice, covers the boards well past 1 year - even for the 2nd owner.

#407 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

So in the end, one reported (and inexpensive) node board failed. A $2 part to boot that AP even gives the part number so a DIY can repair cheaply.

But don't forget, AP told the OP that a surface mount part had failed, and that the only option was to buy a new board @$95, as they had no way to replace that particular chip

They did not tell him it could be repaired for $2, that's for sure.

927400016776deeed5f4c207465d5a3da562f830.png (resized).jpg927400016776deeed5f4c207465d5a3da562f830.png (resized).jpg
#410 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Someone help me understand this. Are we REALLY upset that a brand-new startup cannot just give away parts like the "big players" do because, subjectively in some people's eyes here: "It's the right thing to do" ?

I think most of us are upset that they told him there was no way to replace a surface mount chip, and he had to buy a $100 board.

#412 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Actually they said "We" have no way to replace that chip....

Exactly.

A customer calls the manufacturer of an item, and they tell them that "we" can't replace that chip, "the ONLY thing we can do is have you replace the coil driver board" .

THAT's what I imagine most people are upset about.

#417 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Some here believe that warranty time periods should not matter at all or that it should not matter if it is 'close', but then how do you draw that line? Is it a month, two, six?.

Let's say you have a Ford Mustang and the trans blows 5 months out of warranty when you are out of town. You are the 2nd owner.

You pay $2200 for a rebuilt one.

When you get back home, you write to the Ford Warranty Dispute Resolution Program, and mail in all your receipts, towing bill, photo of the odometer bla bla bla

Of course, Ford could say "Hey, it was out of warranty, rules are rules.", but Ford does not do that.

Back in the 80s they did some studies. An average happy customer tells 3 people they are happy, a customer that feels they got ripped off tells 100 people.

Ford knows that you will vent to 100 people "I bought a Mustang, and the trans blew 2 months out of warranty!!!!! I'd never buy another friggin' Ford!!! They are not built to last!!!!"

So instead, Ford reviews your case and often sends you a check. Maybe not for the entire $2200 but some odd number like $2056 (so it seems like there were actual calculations involved). Sometimes they even refund the entire amount.

Now that it seemed like Ford really bent over backwards, you will probably tell many people "Hey, I had a Ford that blew the trans, and even though it was a few months out of warranty; Ford took care of it anyway!"

In fact, often the only reason someone even knows about the Warranty Resolution is because they heard about it from someone who got help from it.

-

Where does Ford "draw the line"?

When is it too far past the warranty to get assistance?

No one knows.....

#423 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Can't agree here. I understand your dislike of this... but as the owner of the IP it's Multimorphic's right to do as he pleases.

There are hundreds of circuit board cloning services in Taiwan and China.

You send them a populated board and 1 week latter they send you the Protel files, component list and schematic - cheap.

#424 5 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Even though it seems like AP provides good customer service and they aren't using in-house electronics, the way this was handled is not a good look, IMO.

Using out-house electronics is a very good thing, in my eyes (think of all us OPs who had no fear of buying SS Stern games, because they used the same boards as Bally did).

1 week later
#450 5 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

You gotta be kidding me OP. You bought a product and since a repair is past the warranty, you publicly whine about it? It's time to man up, pay the 85 bucks and shut down this thread. This is a really shitty thing to do to a company. Really Shitty.

You are missing the bigger picture.

No one would have ever known about the warranty length and how rigidly it is interpreted.

No one would have ever known about the repair advice given when you call for assistance.

No one would have ever known the warranty only applies to the first owner.

(sure you can say "well they could read the warranty", but what a company puts on paper, and what they actually do when you call for help - are two very different things)

Everyone has owned a few Stern or JJP games, so we have tons of data points and know what happens when we call for guidance.

AP is totally new, so 99% of Pinsiders have no experience with their tech help or warranty.

This thread is SUPER valuable to everyone on Pinside.

#453 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I agree that its valuable information. Whether it prevents myself or another buddy from buying a Houdini remains to be seen.

You can still buy a Houdini (and I think you should), but now you go in with your eyes wide open.

Quoted from PtownPin:

Its pretty simple .. a board should never fail in three months....ever

Pinball boards sometimes break the same day you unbox the machine, that's just how it is.

I'd way rather have it break at the shop during break-in, than 2 weeks latter when I have to go fix it on location.

(You'd way rather your new cell phone break in the showroom of the phone-store, than after you have had it a few weeks)

-

What we need as pinball operators and owners is:

1. Good advice - Don't tell us we need a new $100 board if a .50 cent thru-hole part will fix it

2. Good schematics - We need to be able to follow the circuit flow to troubleshoot quickly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-not-standing-behind-houdini-?tu=vid1900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.