85640A55-E0DB-4E40-A4B2-6DDB04D3935E (resized).jpeg
IMG_20170908_142900_820.jpg
3415465A-BEDD-47CF-8053-3B3809B395D1 (resized).png
IMG_20170220_205912137 (resized).jpg
68C6EAF4-C69F-4E6B-833C-72DAA68A9A73 (resized).png
dogcigar (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1509909419596 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180621_222904005 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 5 years ago

Do you know if this is an AP board? I know it's a P-ROC game, any chance they also make the coil board? If it's P-ROC, perhaps there's some troubleshooting info/parts list on their web page.

#80 5 years ago

On the AP web site, they do mention this:

"What transistor do you use on the coil driver boards?
It is an IRL540N, N channel FET."

I know this thread is about the warranty, but in the end - if you can repair yourself for a few dollars rather than $90, that's likely the path I would take.

#315 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

You need a whole new set of specialized equipment, magnification, good eyesight, and steady hands to deal with these incredibly tiny parts.

I really don't mean to stir the pot here Force...but unless it's a 'lots of pins' IC, it's not bad at all. Actually easier a fair amount of time since you don't need to worry about damaging vias. Having two soldering irons is a must, with appropriate tips makes it very easy. Do it almost everyday and don't even give it a passing thought.

Good eyesight or a magnifier and steady hands is a must - no doubt about it!

I do think people get scared when the magical word 'SMD' is tossed out. A lot of times it's unjustified. With simple parts (resistors, caps, 3, 4, or 5 leaded parts.. use a couple of soldering irons and it's easy. I'd much rather remove SMD than a thru hole anyday.

The spacing really isn't an issue. The 'pick and place' machines need a minimal amount of space to place the the parts. When I do a layout in my line of work - I'd love to shove everything closer together, but the design rules forces the drafting guys to space things farther apart.

A ball grid array? OK a whole new level of complexity!

#405 5 years ago

I'll chime in since I recently purchased Houdini that was NIB, but opened for a show demo.

When picking out the pin, all the players were on the table as options, no manufacture was out of the running, and I'm apparently one of the few that actually looked up warranties prior. So based on my decision, and also tying into the comments on this thread, here's my two cents based on home use only, not a routed game:

1) JJP has great looking games (as is Houdini), no doubt about it. And their warranty is longer. But this comes at a price. What's the delta? $2K, maybe $3K. Would you really spend another 2K for a better warranty, given everything else is the same rather than spend $95 on a node board or $2 on a FET? I wouldn't. That's just me and I understand not everyone can replace a failed part.

2) Stern: I still like Stern a lot. I think their artwork is stellar, but play fields can be rather sparse at times. However, the threads of problems are plentiful: PF problems, node boards (yes, they are being replaced fairly often at no cost, but not always), incomplete software for what appears to be years, the closed concept of the Spike system...and what I consider a big one...splitting cabinets corners that could have been avoided w/maybe $5 in better internal brackets. It was all too much in the end. Sure they might cover it, but geez...maybe it would be better if they didn't have so many problems in the first place? The lack of schematics is a concern since I can repair myself if I have a roadmap. AP uses P-ROC, which schematics were available - at least up until someone cloned the design. P-ROC was fairly big plus in my book vs. the Spike I or II.

3) Spooky: Can't say the wife is a fame of Spooky's PF's, I'm sure that will change someday. And also can't say there were any issues preventing us from getting one, just wasn't the right game at the right time.

A generic observation - not a fan of pro/prem/ce/le/vault/whatever versions. Just make a single run of a pin to keep the cost down while being able to add some 'bells and whistles" as a result - and do it at a reasonable price. Upgrades are OK w/me as long as it doesn't affect the PF (like a butter cab or shaker). I still have the mentality that things were removed to make a pro version.

So in the end, one reported (and inexpensive) node board failed. A $2 part to boot that AP even gives the part number so a DIY can repair cheaply. I looked at the plus and minus of each brand and I decided to w/Houdini. A failed node board, out of warranty whether covered or not covered by AP, would have not affected my decision.

Edit: I do want to add a warranty based on plays could be a viable option. Simple way to help assist HOU owners.

#431 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Not doubting you but how many companies Warranty wear and tear of rubbers, playfield plasics, or bulbs inside or out of warranty?....

I believe the point was people were making a blanket statement that Stern was covering problems outside of warranty. Strum, from 1st hand experience, said that was not always the case.

Gets back to the comment: "When should a company make a 'good will gesture' and replace outside of the warranty period?" Strum didn't mention rubber wear and tear, it was about broken plastic. That's an important difference. I should add AP includes extra plastics in the goodie bag for just for that occurrence.

Not looking to stir the pot, but plastics not covered on a newer machine falls into the same category as the OP's comments.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-not-standing-behind-houdini-?tu=mbwalker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.