Topic Stats

• 8,521 posts
  • 525 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by wesman
  • Topic is favorited by 144 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,180 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

B50F841E-E889-43F0-93C7-0C4CBECEF72F (resized).jpeg
Houdini rd (resized).jpg
B0A59720-3109-4366-A958-89734AE22441 (resized).jpeg
20190315_155922 (resized).jpg
20190315_030211 (resized).jpg
20190315_030253 (resized).jpg
20190220_220353 (resized).jpg
lites (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
E3F51772-C78A-4AAB-B019-A786AC49901B (resized).jpeg
A2123B62-2706-48FC-B5BE-D1A9DDCFDCB9 (resized).jpeg
35DFBA78-89B8-4643-ADFD-F03BE383E3E2 (resized).jpeg
858C4D73-37E6-4470-ABF9-102C63C163A4 (resized).jpeg
F984C9DF-09AF-4327-826D-ED5D502EC93F (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

32 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #145 Houdini Pinball initial flyer Posted by HighProtein (2 years ago)

Post #184 Initial reveal at TPF Posted by SilverballNut (1 year ago)

Post #190 Introductory Price of Houdini Posted by 1iblind (1 year ago)

Post #198 Initial Pictures of Machine Posted by lllvjr (1 year ago)

Post #229 Playfield Close-Up Pics Posted by bigd1979 (1 year ago)

Post #284 Machine feature details Posted by rosh (1 year ago)

Post #312 More feature details Posted by rosh (1 year ago)

Post #385 Double switch lane picture Posted by pinballrockstar (1 year ago)

Post #420 Pinball show appearance schedule for Houdini Posted by rosh (1 year ago)

Post #434 Houdini pics from Allentown show Posted by PinballSTAR (1 year ago)

Post #533 Official Houdini Flyer with features listed Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (1 year ago)

Post #535 Ball Counter graphic for game Posted by rosh (1 year ago)

Post #609 More mode and feature details from programmer Posted by rosh (1 year ago)

Post #639 More game system details from programmer Posted by rosh (1 year ago)

Post #978 Photos of the updated game for expo Posted by rosh (1 year ago)

Post #1000 Photos of the cabinet interior side art Posted by rosh (1 year ago)

Post #1287 Josh Kugler Interview Posted by konjurer (1 year ago)

Post #1357 Houdini Gameplay video Posted by rosh (1 year ago)

Post #2290 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by BarryJ (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vicjw66.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1642 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Probably Free Gold Watch, I would guess.

Ayce Gogi is my guess.

#1704 1 year ago

One of the voice actors sounds like George Takei, Ohhh myyy.

3 weeks later
#1829 1 year ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Funnily enough, a lot of factories down under require high visibility/flourecent tops to all workers...
By the way I wasn't having a dig at AP and sincerely admire what they have achieved.

Funnily?

#1832 1 year ago

Interesting. Can’t recall hearing it used before.

1 week later
#1968 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Let's just say this jpop/deeproot shit would have never made this beautiful, working, API Houdini!

I was at the expo reveal of the JPOP Houdini playfield. At first glance, it looked pretty nice. Upon closer inspection, I could only liken it to the Winchester house.

1 week later
#2062 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

Hmm, it is a global pause that impacts timers for stage, movies, milkcan multiplier, and hurry ups, but I'll take a closer look. The primary exception is king of cards, which runs a timer and that was making the hurry up count down, even though you had no way to shoot it since the ball is held in the stage, that was a pain to deal with, but obviously needed to be done. In the case of the catapult, it is a flat 8 second pause, for a variety of reasons, although that starts at the upper vuk, so if the ball finds its way into the lower catapult some other way, that the pause would not occur, I'll put that on the list to look at.

I've narrowed it down to a couple of ideas, including my original concept. I'll probably get to it later this month or more likely March, the reason for which I will shed light on later.

Pretty late in the process we added an auxiliary board to the cabinet as a better way to wire in the shaker, as well as to handle flashing of the start button (which is not RGB LED so needed a different solution). We built that board to have extra capacity for other things/add-ons, and we already have one enhancement that will leverage that. Given the design, it can be used for a knocker, and once we have time to really look at that we will. We will likely create a kit for it (given wiring needs), and I will code for it (not like it is tough code to write). Obviously that is one of the first things that gets cut from a BOM given the very limited use of it vs the cost of it. But I know some folks really like them.

No doubt more can be done with the RGB, but also have to balance that with making them helpful/useful to the player. We all know there is a game or two that are using RGB in some 'colorful' ways, but it can result in you having no freaking clue what they are telling you.

I like the idea of the timer only being paused while the ball is in the pops if there is 5 seconds or less left, similar to the clock stopping in football the last 5 mins only when out of bounds. It can be really frustrating if you have 1 shot left to go in a mode and the timer runs out because it’s spent an unusual amount of time in the pops.

As far as the knocker, I like to see it used during gameplay. Seance for instance. A homage to TAF.

1 week later
#2180 1 year ago
Quoted from doomid:

Setup and on Location at On Tilt @ AYCE Gogi in Van Nuys, CA. Game playing great and everyone loving it!

Awesome. Was wondering when you were getting it. Will have to make a trip up there in the next few days.

2 weeks later
#2394 1 year ago

I played Houdini last week on location and got the #2 high score, however only the grand champion score is ever shown in attract mode. Weird.
I enjoyed it, and hopefully more sound effects will be coded later for hitting shots. There are times when you make a shot and there is no observable feedback. The part I thought was really cool was the chance to win back your drained ball. I much prefer that you have a set number of "flips" to hit all the shots vs the way WOZ gives you a timer countdown.

3 months later
#4322 9 months ago
Quoted from rosh:

I hope to wrap up the code this week, depends on game 2 demands,

So are you coding the second game already? Working on specific Beer drinking modes or just the basic foundation?

#4332 9 months ago

60 seconds is way too short. There are occasions when you put a quarter in only to find it is your last one. Then you run to the coin machine, which might have someone taking their time trying to put a well weathered bill in that gets repeatedly rejected.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 129.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 9.00
Playfield - Other
Hdmike mods
6,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Mods for your pinballs
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 32.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vicjw66.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside