20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #145 Houdini Pinball initial flyer Posted by HighProtein (7 years ago)

Post #184 Initial reveal at TPF Posted by SilverballNut (7 years ago)

Post #190 Introductory Price of Houdini Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #198 Initial Pictures of Machine Posted by lllvjr (7 years ago)

Post #229 Playfield Close-Up Pics Posted by bigd1979 (7 years ago)

Post #284 Machine feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #312 More feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #385 Double switch lane picture Posted by pinballrockstar (7 years ago)

Post #420 Pinball show appearance schedule for Houdini Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #434 Houdini pics from Allentown show Posted by PinballSTAR (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vegas9.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10362 3 years ago

05/01/2020

Press Release: American Pinball Hires Dave Brennan as Technical Services Manager

American Pinball is pleased to announce the hiring of Dave Brennan as Technical Services Manager. With over 7 years troubleshooting, fixing and restoring pinball machines of all eras, Dave brings his wealth of experience to ensure that all customer and distributor needs will be met when it comes to hands-on technical support and guidance.

One of Dave's immediate initiatives is to generate an ongoing series of instructional videos covering topics such as new game set-up, how to update code, maintenance tips and more. "I’m really looking forward to starting conversations with American Pinball owners and distributors to determine how I can best serve the pinball community," Dave offers. "I am extremely excited about this opportunity with American Pinball."

Dave’s passion for pinball repair and restoration, in addition to his skill set, will make him an asset to the American Pinball team and our customers. Dave has repaired over 100 games and fully restored over 25 pinball machines in the past several years in addition to assisting many collectors with troubleshooting technical issues with their games at home.

One of Dave's most recent and notable projects is livestreaming his progress in real time as he repairs and restores a Gottlieb Alien Star on Twitch and Facebook, while interacting with his viewers on his Twitch channel Twitch.tv/Turbografx7 and Turbografx7 Facebook Group as an affiliate of The Pinball Network. You can also find Dave on Pinside.com as brenna98.

We welcome him to American Pinball.

Contact info:
Dave Brennan
Technical Services Manager
[email protected]
Phone: (833) API-HELP / (833) 274-4357

2 months later
#10875 3 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Please put me down for one kit.
Thanks for doing what AP should be doing.
I will buy a Hot Wheels when AP fixes Houdini.

Brenna98 is AP's technical service manager. We are happy to help. Thank you for your continued support, wolftownjeff and happy flipping

1 month later
#11302 3 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

So I want to use ninja pinballs for this game. I had them for my stranger things game and I just loved them. How shiny they were. But, this being a game that uses magnets, should I not use the ninjas ? Is there another shiny ball type that I can use that’s just as shiny as the ninjas?

My understanding is that the process of making the balls shiny is what makes the balls more likely to become magnetized.

2 months later
#11703 3 years ago

Early Black Friday Deals start NOW!

Up to 50% off on merchandise and parts!

Shop at https://store.american-pinball.com/

Black-Friday-02 (resized).jpgBlack-Friday-02 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#12040 3 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

How much did you drop them by?

People recommend dropping the flippers 1/8" closer to the player.

1 week later
#12174 3 years ago

✨It's MAGIC!✨ The wizards at American Pinball have conjured up a significant CODE UPDATE for Houdini "Master of Mystery" Pinball.✨

NEW CODE Version 21.01.21 can be downloaded here with Release Notes & Change Log: https://www.american-pinball.com/support/updates/

Version 21.01.21 includes the following Feature Updates:

Rules, Scoring Enhancements, NEW Light Shows & Sounds, Improved Choreography & Game Flow, and Bug Fixes.

Change Log:

Houdini
Latest Version: 21.01.21
Release Notes
Updating your Houdini machine is a simple process. During the update
process, none of your current settings will be changed.
To install the update . . .
1) Download the update code and copy it onto a USB stick (FAT32,
minimum 4 GB). Make sure the USB Stick does NOT have a space in the
name.
2) Turn on your Houdini machine.
3) Open the coin door and find the USB extension cable. It should be
anchored to the side wall of the cabinet.
4) Insert the USB stick into the extension cable.
5) After a few seconds, the display should indicate that code is being
updated. The code update process takes approximately 10 minutes.
6) An on-screen message will advise when the update process is
complete. Shut down the game, remove the USB stick, and power the
game back up.
7) Make some magic!

CHANGE LOG

New — Magic Spinner Bonus — after the magic shop is opened,
additional spins would collect towards a magic spinner bonus that is
collected at the magic shop. Bonus is 400 * spins * visits to the shop.
Accumulated bonus spins are zeroed out at end of ball.
New — King of Cards accuracy bonus — based on how many successful
throw are made, an accuracy scoring bonus is added to the total.

Accuracy is based on cards available to throw, not the number thrown. It
is possible to exceed 100% by making ‘doubleʼ shots. Example, making
5 of 10, will award an additional 50% of the points earned
New — Magic Stand-up targets can now help secret missions, missions
completed without magic target help score double.
New — During a jail escape, hitting an escape letter will add the original
hurry up value to the current hurry up value
New — During the Great Jail Escape hitting an unlit escape letter will
reset the hurry up value back to the start value and add 5 seconds.
New — Setting to allow play to continue after Master Magician, if you
have additional balls. The default setting is game ends after Master
Magician, which is the current behavior.
New — Second Houdini letters for escapes and secret missions (note
default settings around Houdini letters have been adjusted as part of
this release for escapes, missions, stage acts and magic shop visits, you
may want to change you Houdini letters in adjustments).
New — pricing plan. 4 units for 1 credit, 20 for 6, support for ‘Tokensʼ currency type
New — Sound effects on lower lanes and inner loop
New — Upper Catapult switch compensation
New — More ‘today in historyʼ added
Modified — Lots of new and improved light shows
Modified — Ball save adjustments on Trunk MB
Modified — Film Modes that start with Trunk Multiball will start even if catapult misses
Modified — Magic Shop hole ball handling and choreography
Modified — Catapult/Trunk lock and movie start processing
Modified — Can no longer start Trunk MB or Seance during Movie Binge
Modified — A missed catapult throw that drains while Movie is starting, will not end ball.
Modified — Start Button attract
Modified — Magnet behavior during Multiball
Modified — Can no longer start a mode once the Great Jail Escape has started
Modified — Movie Binge can no longer start if MB or a stage mode are running
Modified — Movie Binge now has a wrap-up screen, and more sound calls
Modified — Card detection at higher speeds in card king
Modified — Timer behavior during catapult sequences.
Modified — Main score screen to better show scores of 10,000,000 and up
Fixed — issue where an extra ball could be put in play on a catapult miss when Trunk MB or a movie was starting
Fixed — Movies will still start on a catapult miss
Fixed — Master Magician was requiring three hits per Seance letter not two, as the rules stated.
Fixed — Clearing balls could result in a game reset
Fixed — collecting the last Houdini letter will no longer say “collect Houdini letters . . . “
Fixed — Issue where the HOUDINI encore chat would not end even after collecting the Encore Bonus
Fixed — black screen that appears between high score entry and match
Fixed — display info when pricing is for 20 Kroner, it was incorrectly showing 15
Fixed — reset audits sometimes crashing the game and not resetting properly
Fixed — Tilt during film mode preventing future film modes from being started
Fixed — left and right lock releasing more than one ball when certain magnet or dimming activity was occurring
Fixed — Elephant shaker action playing during outlane modes
Fixed — Stage monitor not showing proper image when Master Magician is ready
Fixed — display issue on progress ribbon if 10 or more illusions performed
Fixed — position of commas on main screen when score is 10,000,000 or more
Fixed — left and right lock releasing more than one ball when certain magnet or dimming activity was occurring
Fixed — Tilt during film mode preventing future film modes from being started
Fixed — Incorrect game tip wording

houdini_code_release_21.01.21 (resized).pnghoudini_code_release_21.01.21 (resized).png

3 weeks later
#12368 3 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

Maybe a dumb question... has anyone had to replace the green standup targets for the E/S/C ? I just bought a 2018-vintage Houdini and the previous owner warned me that the targets would start to "lean" forward from time to time. I have been able to bend them back with a switch adjustment tool or needle nose pliers but I think this may have been done too many times and they will only stay fully upright for a few games before starting to lean again. I would order replacements, but I can't find them on the API website. I opened a support ticket over the weekend but haven't had a response from them yet. Checked with Pinball Life and apparently API has proprietary targets not sold by other vendors.
Has anyone ordered these from API and happen to have a part number?

I just checked the ticket, and it appears that brenna98 emailed you links to the stand-up targets and black foam on the API web store. Maybe the emails went to spam? Please check.

1 week later
#12402 3 years ago

Where can I acquire one of these? They're not selling them on the website. The only PS I see there is the 48V upgrade that I already have... If anybody can give me the manufacturer and part number of the new single unit PS I'd appreciate it.

brenna98 ?

3 weeks later
#12463 3 years ago

Houdini Playfield Prints are Now Available!

The beautiful artwork of the Houdini playfield is printed on Premium Luster Photo Paper and makes a wonderful decoration for your game room or living space.

Playfield Art by Jeff Busch. (18” x 24”)

Take home some magic today at: https://tinyurl.com/kuph4ska

America_Pinball_HH Playfield Art Print - 5in x 7in_LoRes Store Image (resized).jpgAmerica_Pinball_HH Playfield Art Print - 5in x 7in_LoRes Store Image (resized).jpg
1 week later
#12475 3 years ago

For any American Pinball owners of Houdini, Oktoberfest or Hot Wheels that have a moment, we’re looking to analyze the gameplay audits from the collective players base out there to see the frequency of how often various features are started. If you’re interested in helping, please shoot an email of the audits from your game to [email protected]

If you happen to be an IFPA ranked player, please send your player ID number as well in the email.

To copy game logs and audits (Requires: a FAT 32 formatted USB 2.0 drive):

- Open the coin door and locate the provided USB extension cable on the right-hand side of the coin door below the flipper switch.
- Insert the USB drive into the USB extension cable.
- If power is turned off, turn on.
- Wait for the completion screen on the monitor and remove the USB drive.
- Power cycle the game.

#12476 3 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

For any API folks who are reading this... will the coil performance improvement kit be back in stock on the store page anytime soon? I asked this question from the web page recently and have not had a response there yet.
I think this is the last mod I need to consider this game complete. I recently added the upgraded power supply, knocker kit, and shaker motor.

These should be back in stock on our web store by approxmately the end of next week.

https://store.american-pinball.com/products/kit0006-00?_pos=1&_sid=174cb77f7&_ss=r

3 weeks later
#12572 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Thanks to Dave Brennen from API for sending me a thumb drive with the download. Worked great. I didn’t want to have these other solutions not work and me left with a 250 pound brick. Now I can can try to pull the download on to another thumb drive and not worry because I have a backup.
Excellent service as always.

brenna98 is the best!

1 week later
2 months later
#12826 2 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Help,I can’t hit anything,are there a pro tips?

Backhand the lock shot with your right flipper.

1 week later
#12891 2 years ago
Quoted from KrazyIvan14:

Hi, I need a little help. I've read through a couple other posts on the fuses, but I'm a little confused on how to troubleshoot. One of my kids power cycled the machine twice while in the middle of someone's game. Now, the coils don't seem to fire (ball won't fire into shooter lane, flipper won't fire). I didn't quite understand the manual on the power lines and how certain fuses were connected to each as I'm assuming a fuse (or multiple) is blown. I saw another post about a red LED indicating a blown fuse, but I'm actually not entirely sure where they even are on this machine. Would appreciate some help and guidance. Thanks.

Here is a helpful chart: http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2021-6/Houdini--Quick-Reference-Guide.pdf

2 weeks later
#12951 2 years ago
Quoted from splitcms:

New owner and tried playing a couple games last night. I noticed the ball, when shot into the theater ... just goes into ball search mode. I think I read a post of someone in the past saying the theater needs to be calibrated to fix this issue (which I haven’t tried yet).

Here is an AP Tech Tips video that instructs how to calibrate the stage:

1 week later
#13002 2 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

If the multiple AP guys run across this...Is this game still being manufactured? If so, has everything been upgraded ( past learning curve and power issues etc... I'm familiar with all the challenges)
I've almost pulled the trigger multiple times in the last few years on a used but if it's still coming off the line in 2021. I'd rather support this company buying brand new.
I've never been able to shake the Houdini bug and keep coming back to this game time and time again.
Thank you.
r/
Mike

As rosh mentioned, Houdini is on our production line now. While this run is mostly sold out on paper, I'm fairly certain some dealers are stocking inventory. So feel free to call around, or PM me if you need any help securing a game through a dealer.

So yes, we are still building new Houdini in addition to new Oktoberfest and Hot Wheels to keep up with the demand. Our production lines continue to be very busy. I can share on behalf of all of us at AP, that we are extremely grateful that more and more folks are discovering American Pinball games.

Michael

1 week later
#13045 2 years ago

✨Tonight!✨

Josh Kugler ( rosh ) and Michael Grant ( Vegas9 ) of American Pinball will be showcasing NEW Beta Code for Houdini on Dead Flip Pinball Streaming at 6:00pm Central!

This code introduces a new game feature which will also be coming to Oktoberfest and Hot Wheels.

Join us and see what the ‘team’ has up its sleeve!

240955300_149076360741456_1933949548131491910_n (resized).jpg240955300_149076360741456_1933949548131491910_n (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vegas9.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread?tu=vegas9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.