20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #145 Houdini Pinball initial flyer Posted by HighProtein (7 years ago)

Post #184 Initial reveal at TPF Posted by SilverballNut (7 years ago)

Post #190 Introductory Price of Houdini Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #198 Initial Pictures of Machine Posted by lllvjr (7 years ago)

Post #229 Playfield Close-Up Pics Posted by bigd1979 (7 years ago)

Post #284 Machine feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #312 More feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #385 Double switch lane picture Posted by pinballrockstar (7 years ago)

Post #420 Pinball show appearance schedule for Houdini Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #434 Houdini pics from Allentown show Posted by PinballSTAR (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rascal_h.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#525 6 years ago

Would love to see you guys at Pintastic New England this year. Dying to play some Houdini!

3 weeks later
#651 6 years ago
Quoted from pbu:

Houdini was at Southern-Fried Gameroom Expo and was *very* playable. I had my equipment with me and thanks to Josh at American Pinball I think we now have the first real gameplay video!:
» YouTube video
To be completely honest, this wasn't a game that was really on my radar until I got the SFGE and saw and played it. This is an extremely well put together machine that plays well, and even with the early code was absolutely intriguing. This is a game I'm going to be keeping my eye on going forward as I'm excited to see where it is by the end of the year.

The reverse the arms thing doesn't help me at all. Everything still feels backwards.

2 years later
#9328 4 years ago

Joined the club over the weekend. Beautiful game and so much fun. It’s the only game I’ve ever had where it plays better with longer legs in the front. Is that how others have the game set up? I think the guy I bought it from had them all at the lowest setting.

#9330 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

huh? Do you mean you have it basically flat?
Joe Balcer designed the game to play more like at about 6 degrees, which would be where all your levelers are screwed all the way up. (assuming you have a flat floor), but this feels a little 'floaty' to most players. Many of us have it set to about 6.2 or so - screw the levelers all the way up, then take the rear legs out about 5-8 threads

Yeah, I’ll play around with it a bit. It’s playing pretty good but when I had the back up higher it seemed like I was getting a lot of rejects on the right ramp. Could be my flipper cool strength too. Thanks!

#9338 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The ramp definitely takes some getting used to - you have to hit it higher up on the flipper than most other games, and as a result it can help to have higher flipper strength. But if you make it TOO strong, you'll get rejects Get the game levelers all the way in, then raise it like I mentioned above. Then you can play with the flipper strength - I believe everybody has raised both flippers a point or two, but you do have to dial in your own game specifically

Will try it that way - thanks.

Just had my first game that I feel pretty good about.

C1E46ED4-1DE6-410A-B089-5AB93B4CEABC (resized).jpegC1E46ED4-1DE6-410A-B089-5AB93B4CEABC (resized).jpeg
#9343 4 years ago

Plays much better using Rdoyle1978 suggestions.

Loving this game so much! Got to Master Magician for the first time. There was a hilarious amount of text on the screen telling me what I was supposed to do. Think I got a cramp from having my arms crossed for so long. So fun!

#9346 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

holy crap that was fast! They've been improving Master magician, but still a ways to go... I think the text is a placeholder, but I always take it like a joke as in "how am I supposed to read all that?!"

One last thing I want to check is the number of extra balls I’m being awarded. I think I got like 3 extra balls on ball one. Too many! Lol

I like the humor in the game... magicians hat shout outs to Spooky, JJP, and Stern.

#9357 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

certainly sounds like it. I'd suggest rascal_h install the pre-set for 'medium' and play that a bit and see how he does, he can always go back to easy, but considering had gotten all jail escapes, which is quite impressive and had 7 stage acts, clearly some skills here. Certainly scores will be high if you get to master magician. He might have also gotten 'The Great Jail Escape' as well.

I'm working on it. Keep in mind, I only have time to work on Houdini code at home, so, that limits the time I have.

Thanks rosh! As someone just discovering this game I appreciated your continued work on it! Loving this game! I will try to up the difficulty. I did get a jail wizard mode where I think was challenged to escape all jails. Had a good game last night where Trunk and Seance were stacked.

#9371 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

and maybe remove or replace the inner washer on the shooter rod if that doesn’t feel smooth.

Oh, nice... trying this tonight.

#9393 4 years ago

Master Magician is so intense. I didn’t know my game was over if I failed!! I still had two extra balls I think! Oh well, it is what it is. My wife wanted to show me how silly I look playing reverse/inverted.

A4B58C1D-2A91-4B20-9239-34FB6369AAA4 (resized).jpegA4B58C1D-2A91-4B20-9239-34FB6369AAA4 (resized).jpeg
#9399 4 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

This is the one aspect of the game that I'd like to see changed, or at least give us the option to change in settings. My house loves Houdini but this makes me keep pushing the settings harder each time I reach because it's no longer something I want to reach, which to me is kind of sad for a game to not actually want to achieve the wizard mode. Just let the game continue... players deserve to play the balls they earned.

Kinda agree. I see the reasoning behind it but I couldn’t get GC because game just ended. Would rather have to start over.

With TNA I don’t mind as much because destroying 9 reactors is nearly impossible for a regular player.

That said, I still need to go in and make my settings harder.

1 week later
#9415 4 years ago

Had some people over yesterday and noticed the game resets if left on for awhile. Also did a reset during the first ball of a friend’s game. This the power issue I’m hearing about?

#9429 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I recall triggering some unexpected resets when I accidentally hit the start button with my knee during an in progress game. Was sitting on a stool.

I can try that to see what happens. Though it wouldn’t explain it resetting all by itself.

#9433 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Have you checked your wall power? Maybe power going from high to low then high again?
Just an idea.

Might have been the powerstrip I had it on. Haven’t really tested yet but that’s my main suspect. Thanks.

#9438 4 years ago

My favorite is Indian Needle because I love doing spinner rips lol

Has anyone seen any of the Houdini films referenced in the game?

#9442 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Here is Haldane for the brave of heart:
[quoted image]

Thanks, I’m gonna try to watch of these days.

I love whoever that woman is that they got to do the movie introductions. I can’t see that pic without hearing her voice.

8 months later
#10389 3 years ago

Just got a beautiful new Houdini. I had traded my first one away but always regretted it. Back in the collection!

Is it true there will be another code update? What kind of stuff is left to do?

#10407 3 years ago

Started up a game as normal... watched it loading... as soon as the welcome voiceover started I hit the start button to play and my monitor died... now it won’t come back on. Any ideas?

46305B0C-A5BF-44C9-8E53-474EECD5186F (resized).jpeg46305B0C-A5BF-44C9-8E53-474EECD5186F (resized).jpeg
#10409 3 years ago

Do a cold reboot.
Pull the plug, turn off the power switch, hit the start button a couple times, wait 30 seconds.
Re-plug in the power cord, wait 15 seconds, turn on power switch.
Wait a bit and see if it boots.
If boot is successful wait 30 seconds after boot cycle ends and try to start a game.
Computers can get confused once in awhile, cold reboots sort them out.

Thank you for the advice. I will try that out.

#10416 3 years ago

Do a cold reboot.
Pull the plug, turn off the power switch, hit the start button a couple times, wait 30 seconds.
Re-plug in the power cord, wait 15 seconds, turn on power switch.
Wait a bit and see if it boots.
If boot is successful wait 30 seconds after boot cycle ends and try to start a game.
Computers can get confused once in awhile, cold reboots sort them out.

Hmm, still nothing from the monitor. No flashing or anything. No LED lit on top.

#10426 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

It's a single post rubber...

Yeah. I would just buy a post rubber but I don't know where I could get one without a substantial shipping fee.
The service has really been exceptionally bad. They ignore emails and I've had to follow up several times to get acknowledgements and even so, after more than a month, I'm no closer to getting it than when I first asked. It's really dampened my enthusiasm for the game to have started every ball since I got it with a broken skillshot.
I get that this is a difficult time but I've seen several people talk about how their part/accessory orders placed after mine have gone out or been received. At this point I feel like they only send something out if it's a new paid order.

Order a bunch? Every pinball owner should have a drawer full of extra rubbers. What rubber is it? If it’s that big of a deal I’ll throw it an envelope and mail it to you.

#10431 3 years ago

Hmm, probably stupid questions.. but

Are there supposed to be any staged balls anywhere? Seems like my game wants to stage one at the ball lock.

Having an issue where at random times I’ll get multiple balls in play when there should not be. This happens when the ball lock opens and releases two balls. Also, I feel like sometimes a ball will appear out of nowhere from the seance scoop.

Maybe I have some optoelectronics or switches that need looking in to.

Thanks!

#10436 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

What game version are you running?

Quoted from rosh:

Yes the game will stage balls.
If you are on version 19.4.7 be sure the spotlights, backpanel and backglass brightness are set to 10. If those are set to less than 10 it can result in too many balls released from locks.
If you are on the beta code and this happening then send me logs right after it happens, the quicker the better, so I can try to find it in the log.
Those on beta should be able to use the dimming feature.

Thanks guys. Yes. 19.4.7. I just turned backpanel brightness from 9 to 10. Will see if that helps.

#10437 3 years ago

I think that helped! Thank you!

Although... now my catapult switch isn’t registering... even in switch mode. Will tackle that next.

Looks normal, right?
D3BA15D3-9657-4842-A907-B97BBBBB29E0 (resized).jpegD3BA15D3-9657-4842-A907-B97BBBBB29E0 (resized).jpeg

#10442 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Looks like it was adjusted bent up at the point the red arrow is pointing too.
Can you loosen the screws and move the switch body at all ? Some brackets you can, some you can't.
If not I'd check it with your finger in switch test. If it works there, it probably needs to be bent up a little more at that point. The end pointed up looks like it might be low in the hole if a ball sits on it, not depressing the switch enough.
LTG : )
[quoted image]

Thanks LTG! Wonder if the switch is bad. Even pressing the red button on the switch does not trigger the switch (even in test mode). The only way I can get it to register in switch mode is if I hold a screwdriver across the contacts.

#10447 3 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

PM sent, but i'll post my response here too so others have reference:
Inside the micro switch are contacts just like any other leaf switch. Do you have any contact cleaner spray? I've had good luck increasing connectivity by spraying some cleaner on the button of the micro switch, then working the lever with my finger several times.
If that doesn't get it working, submit a ticket and i'll get a new switch out to you: https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/

Made a trip to Lowes and picked up some contact cleaner. Worked great! Thanks brenna98 and Houdini group!

2 weeks later
#10483 3 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

Wow just had a MONSTER game and I didn’t do too much in it either. I managed to get to 4x milkcan multiplier mixed with 2x mode scoring on bullet catch with the left loop as the load shot, trunk multiball AND Seance multiball for a 4.195m score!! Wow just crazy! The only thing that annoys me in this game is my catapult not hitting 100% of the time
[quoted image]

Great score! Whoever had my Houdini before me put some kind of mod in to make the catapult hit 100% no matter what I have the game leveled at. Have never seen it miss. Wish I knew what they did haha.

#10487 3 years ago

Big game! Wish I could have kept playing. Was only on ball 2 with 3 extra balls banked before I got to Master Magician (and lost).

3F132BC1-B85E-431F-889E-44B742B28E7F (resized).jpeg3F132BC1-B85E-431F-889E-44B742B28E7F (resized).jpeg
#10491 3 years ago

I think I need to mod my milkcan shot a bit. Somehow the ball defies physics and goes halfway in and then turns around and comes back out the same way. I get so mad when I need it and it spits it right back out haha. Maybe if I put a little clear mylar on the wall it will slow the ball down a bit and let gravity take over.

2 weeks later
#10587 3 years ago

Anyone have this topper? Would you be able to take a pic of the power adapter? Just went through a move and I’m searching for the correct one. Thanks!

5C6C9997-D484-4251-B99A-B80B0CE9BDD7 (resized).jpeg5C6C9997-D484-4251-B99A-B80B0CE9BDD7 (resized).jpeg
#10609 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Here you go:
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you!!!
F1B47D1D-5D1C-47B3-82BC-5C83DA1B8144 (resized).jpegF1B47D1D-5D1C-47B3-82BC-5C83DA1B8144 (resized).jpeg

#10667 3 years ago

Are the special hex key leg bolts sold online? Misplaced one shelf move. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rascal_h.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread?tu=rascal_h and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.