20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #145 Houdini Pinball initial flyer Posted by HighProtein (7 years ago)

Post #184 Initial reveal at TPF Posted by SilverballNut (7 years ago)

Post #190 Introductory Price of Houdini Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #198 Initial Pictures of Machine Posted by lllvjr (7 years ago)

Post #229 Playfield Close-Up Pics Posted by bigd1979 (7 years ago)

Post #284 Machine feature details Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #312 More feature details Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #385 Double switch lane picture Posted by pinballrockstar (6 years ago)

Post #420 Pinball show appearance schedule for Houdini Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #434 Houdini pics from Allentown show Posted by PinballSTAR (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinghetto.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1923 6 years ago

I've glanced over the thread, but I wasn't sure the details on the instructional narration and if there will be a way to dial it back. Will there be something like a pro or novice adjustment in service that could lessen the amount of instructions for a home environment?

Game looks really awesome AP. Definitely thinking about bringing one home.

Brian

#1925 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Flippers can cancel it out.

That's cool. I was just thinking some sort of adjustment that would cancel them by default. I need some more time on the game before I fully understand.

Brian

#1934 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Besides the flipper escape there are about a dozen settings to control the verbosity of the voice calls. If you search back through this thread you will see some screen shots and there is also a video walkthrough of the service menu and you can see them there.

Thank you very much for the response. I will review the thread.

Brian

5 months later
#4639 5 years ago

My machine is super sensitive to power. My catapult and flippers certainly struggle when three games are turned on. I did add EOS switches to my flips. It really seemed to help quite a bit during multiball when the flippers would get pushed down on a hold.

I also replaced the washer on the pivot post for the lower catapult. I used a slightly thicker and larger washer. It takes some of the slop out of that arm. That washer seems to have helped straighten the shot out when the coil power gets turned up.

In conclusion... BRING ON THE DAUGHTER BOARD!!!

And with all that said, I really love my game. It will all get worked out and get even better. Especially with the great bunch of folks AP has on staff.

Brian

#4657 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

With programmatically controlled flippers, the EOS switch is no longer necessary. Software controls each coil individually and can therefore shut off the power coil whenever necessary. I don't see why you add EOS switches to your Houdini flippers? It won't be used.

The EOS switches are in the programming. And are used if the ball pushes the flipper down when it is in a hold state.

And, yes, you are correct. The EOS switches are not necessary. And really don't fix much. But, I was having problems especially in multiball with a held flipper getting pushed down with a hard hit or multiple balls hitting at once. The EOS switches didn't fix it 100% but did help quite a bit.

Brian

#4662 5 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

I am really considering buying this game after playing it with you and Joe Nick. What a fantastic looking and playing game.
What is with the power issues that I am reading about? Are there any other issues that I should be concerned about? I guess the main question is......Should I buy one?

Yes. You should buy. The problems sound bigger here than what is actually seen during game play (at least with mine). I have a pretty diverse collection and this game just shines. Plus, my wife loves it. That means a lot to me. She really doesn't care all that much for pinball in general.

This game just has character. And I'm a huge mode guy when it comes to pins. Houdini is a perfect fit. Lots to do.

#4705 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Ok at 28 it is the perfect distance every time....Its just about 2 inches to the left where it lands almost every time. If I raise catapult and bend/twist the end a little it hit it perfect 3 times in a row. But long term is there a slight adjust that can have it fire 2 inches to the right?
Thx!

Mine is the same way when turned up. My firiends acts the same too, but his is to the right. I called AP tech support yesterday and left a message with Barry. Haven't heard back yet. I've had three games on this circuit for about 12 years and never had a voltage issue. And one of those games is a TAF (currently). TAF is about the more sensitive game I know for watchdog resets on sketchy power.

I'm really hoping the daughter board rumor is true.

Brian

2 weeks later
#4897 5 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Seems like the ball doesnt even kickout the first time. Feels more like a hichup then coil power or even scoop alignment

Sounds similar to what my game did. I found that it was the lock up pin in the trough. The coil was adjusted too high on the coil bracket so the lock up pin didn't drop all of the way below the trough and the ball would hang every once in awhile. I lowered the coil and have not had a problem since.

1 week later
#5055 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

For the people having issues with the catapult shooting right or left.
We have discovered that over time the catapult that was shooting fine, all of a sudden is shooting wide in either direction.
The fix for this condition is, disassemble the catapult arm from the fulcrum clean with rubbing alcohol or similar, reassemble and enjoy.

I just took apaprt my catapult and gave this a shot. It didn't make any difference and still shoots to the far left when the coil strength is turned up enough to make it the distance of the trunk. If I turn it down (and it short shoots the ball), it's straight as an arrow.

Brian

#5071 5 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

When mine was going left. It was actually going right, hitting the ramp and then deflected to the left. I took apart and cleaned. then lowered the strength to just barely make it. Now it is fine.

Mine did this out of the box. But, again, only when the coil strength is turned up because the shot doesn't make it to the trunk. And that only happens when multiple games are turned on. I have a friend that has a game that does the exact same thing, but his goes to the right when turned up.

My levelers are all the way down and wall voltage is pretty consistent.

#5077 5 years ago
Quoted from FtrMech:

I had that problem but cleaning the catapult didn't make a bit of difference...after a closer look I found that the ball was glancing off the left most edge of the clear ramp sending the ball to the left corner missing the trunk.

I'll take a look at that. What did you do to fix it?

Thanks for the info!!

#5108 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I do feel you sir are on the correct answer. Instead of trying to service the power for your entire house why not just replace the incorrect power supply in the game with issue? I personally have not had an issue with any other game or feature. Yes, when all 15 games are running a sessoned player could disscern a difference but they all function as designed. How much would it cost to drop in (and which) the transformer this game actually needed?

I would hold tight on modding out the game or dropping $800 on an external power source. I have heard AP may be working on a solution. Maybe Barry can confirm before anyone alters their games.

#5112 5 years ago

Wow!! A huge thanks to Josh and the beta testers!! Can't wait to take it for a test drive.

Brian

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greeley, CO
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
Plastics
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 49.99
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation
Rubber/Silicone
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements
Pinball Machine
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinghetto.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread?tu=pinghetto and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.