20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #145 Houdini Pinball initial flyer Posted by HighProtein (7 years ago)

Post #184 Initial reveal at TPF Posted by SilverballNut (7 years ago)

Post #190 Introductory Price of Houdini Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #198 Initial Pictures of Machine Posted by lllvjr (7 years ago)

Post #229 Playfield Close-Up Pics Posted by bigd1979 (7 years ago)

Post #284 Machine feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #312 More feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #385 Double switch lane picture Posted by pinballrockstar (7 years ago)

Post #420 Pinball show appearance schedule for Houdini Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #434 Houdini pics from Allentown show Posted by PinballSTAR (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider our_man_in_oz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6008 5 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

The container headed to Australia should be landing in the next day or so! I’m SUPER pumped to be getting my game hopefully by weeks end

Oh wow. I didn't even know and I've been talking to Wayne about other stuff just this week. Hopefully they get turned around and shipped out early next week, would be ideal, wife's away first week of Oct lol! BTW, I had a minor panic attack when I first read this and thought oh no more money to cough up, but quickly realised they're all prepaid unlike Deadpool lol.

#6069 5 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

I think Wayne either got the container today or is getting it tomorrow. How are you getting your machine up?

Probably Hytech but I'm keen to make happen by first week of Oct.

1 week later
#6361 5 years ago

I took delivery of my Houdini today. Just finished setting up and pleased to say everything seems to be running great. Not single adjustment to any coils needed. First time in my life I think I've been appreciative of 230V, normally it's something I'm trying to work around (like importing 110V appliances). Even a had quite a decent first game which I wasn't really expecting as I felt my way through the game. Looking forward to quite a few more games tonight!
IMG_2617 (resized).jpgIMG_2617 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#6957 5 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

Can you explain why?
Forgot to say I'm in Australia at 240V we don't need the upgraded power supply (I was told).

Quoted from pinballinreno:

No, but higher wattage power will make it easier to flip the ball and have less thermal residue.
The device works more sufficiently.
As with everything electrical, low power or brown out conditions cause heat buildup.
The upgraded power supply is 750 watt. The original is near half that.
Your 240v service does not give you more power. Just less power is used from the wall. So internally the power used is the same.
Upgrading the internal power supply fixes many issues, like weak flippers.
EOS switches let the game know when a flipper is knocked down so it can automatically raise it or keep it up.
I recommend EOS and the new power supply.

I was going to post what our 240V power supply looked like a few weeks ago but given the discussion about the US replacement unit again in the context of our 240V machines I thought it would make sense to post it. I was only having a chat with our distributor recently where he was amazed at how many owners were calling him here in Aus and asking for 'the replacement power supply' to which he gave the same response you don't need the replacement USA power supply in our machines. It's one thing to quote the benefits of added wattage on the replacement US unit, however unless you have a spec sheet on hand for our units, you're making a massive assumption re the specs on our units. My understanding of electronic power supplies tells me ours doesn't look like underspecced unit somehow, especially when you lay eyes on the transformer. Of course it's unhelpful that its otherwise unmarked being caseless, but comparing it visually to something like this Antek 800w 48V unit, it does bear some resemblance (definitely in dimensions) http://www.antekinc.com/ps-8n48-800w-48v-power-supply/. Not saying that makes it equivalent of course just that it might be something of a similar spec.
2_image1 (resized).jpeg2_image1 (resized).jpeg

#6973 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Its not a replacement supply. You leave the original in the game.
Its an upgrade to the existing.
The upgraded supply goes in the game to the right of the existing, plugs into it and a couple wires get rerouted to the upgraded supply.
This enhanced supply now has more usable wattage for the game. Since its regulated, it delivers constant correct power with twice the wattage of the original, and moves up or down as needed.
The original unregulated supply does none of this as it was said earlier its "dumb".

But again I'll say right now if Wayne the distributor here says 'we do not need the additional power supply' why is there such an assumption that our 'dumb' 240V main supply isn't sufficient i.e. AP had quite a while before producing the export machines to have time to have chosen a better main power supply option? I'm sure one of the the actual AP guys like BarryJ or rosh can actually add some value here rather than owners speculating on things between domestic and export machine power supplies.

2 months later
#7747 5 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Fiji watching the light show
[quoted image]

Quoted from Ockeyhead:

Oman loves Houdini! Wait, isn't there a separate thread for "Cats And pinballs"?
[quoted image]

I used to have cats who would ocassionally lay on machines, wasn't fond of the cat hair in them though lol, nor the one cat who thought it was cool to pee on on some my backboxes. Did a number on my IJ and TAFG a few years back. Fortunately my dogs can't up there nowadays lol..

8 months later
#9601 4 years ago

I'm moving my Houdini on. My gameroom is full and I want to pick up a JP2, so Houdini is going.

Machine - For Sale
Houdini Archived
As new - New out of box (first owner) - “Selling my Houdini to make way for JP3 Premium which I've just paid deposit on. Has very low plays. All factory options, Magic Glass, shaker, art blades, and topper kit (not instal...”
2019-11-25
Thirroul, NSW
9,500 (OBO)
Archived after: 7 days
Viewed: 441 times

1 month later
#9745 4 years ago

Well guys it's been fun but my Houdini was picked up last night. She went for $A9000 ($US6000) in the end.

Machine - For Sale
Houdini Archived
As new - New out of box (first owner) - “Selling my Houdini to make way for JP3 Premium which I've just paid deposit on. Has very low plays. All factory options, Magic Glass, shaker, art blades, and topper kit (not instal...”
2019-11-25
Thirroul, NSW
9,500 (OBO)
Archived after: 7 days
Viewed: 441 times

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider our_man_in_oz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread?tu=our_man_in_oz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.