20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #145 Houdini Pinball initial flyer Posted by HighProtein (7 years ago)

Post #184 Initial reveal at TPF Posted by SilverballNut (7 years ago)

Post #190 Introductory Price of Houdini Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #198 Initial Pictures of Machine Posted by lllvjr (7 years ago)

Post #229 Playfield Close-Up Pics Posted by bigd1979 (7 years ago)

Post #284 Machine feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #312 More feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #385 Double switch lane picture Posted by pinballrockstar (7 years ago)

Post #420 Pinball show appearance schedule for Houdini Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #434 Houdini pics from Allentown show Posted by PinballSTAR (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider noquarters.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9850 4 years ago

Full release of New code soon ?

#9854 4 years ago

Like my Houdini. Sure would like to see a Sherlock Holmes next...

4 months later
#10608 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Just played Hot wheels, very cool game! I cant wait to see what else API comes out with. Hoping for more of a monster, scary theme, that's my go to.

Good to hear you liked playing Hot Wheels. I ordered Hot Wheels to sit next to my Houdini. Very much looking forward to it.

#10614 3 years ago

The games will have the original older power supply. But - you may not have issues with it. From what I understand some of the problem might be how consistent your line voltage is in your home. If you have issues you can upgrade to the newer power supply. If I recall correctly about $150.00

Set your games up, update the code, level carefully and see how they play. Enjoy.

Happy Father's day - good excuse to buy those games. Congratulations.

#10660 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Been pretty focused on Hot Wheels, but I expect in a few weeks I'll be making time for Houdini.

Stay Focused !

Hope to see one in my home soon.

#10666 3 years ago

Mine is positioned off center also, but appears to function alright during game play. Mine rides slightly differently, probably similar to what mbwalker reports.

1 month later
#10887 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Exactly, the original power supply is probably better at handling the game load, but does not like varying wall voltage, nor does the catapult. The switching power supplies will give consistent voltage regardless of wall voltage variations, but are not quite as good at handling peak loads, which is what Dave is currently looking at.

Great information and explanation.

I have a game with original power supply and apparently the wall voltage is pretty consistent. Flippers and catapult seem to stay stable. Have not had any problems. One in a great while I have had to adjust catapult coil up or down. Maybe once or twice in about 9-10 months of ownership. Have not had an issue with the flipper power.

#10893 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

I am picking up NIB Houdini tomorrow,besides updating the code, anything I should watch out for (issues) or advice on setting it up
? My first Pin.
Thanks in advance

Read the set up flyer in the game. Level per the instructions, etc.

#10907 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

What's the most stable code?

19.4.7 is most stable...

#10909 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

You can just use the small black furnature sliders from home depot

@ chopper36 : If the game moves around too much with furniture sliders, you can make some small carpet squares to go under the legs on top your finish carpet if worried about the finish carpet getting indentations in it over time.

#10910 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I've only had my game up and running for a few weeks and have been busy selling some machines, so haven't devoted a ton of time to dialing it in. I need to get the pitch down, because I think I'm close to 7-deg.
I just looked at the code it's running: 18.8.1
wow.
It runs extremely stable. I haven't noticed any issues. That said, I wonder how much has changed in the game between 18.8.1 and the beta code????

19.4.7 is the code between what you have now and beta. 19.4.7 is quite stable and fixes bugs etc from 18.8.1

You can get the code off AP website

#10915 3 years ago

Another option if worried about your finish floor are other leg levelers like big foots or levelers with nylon bases. Lot's of options if worried about the stock foot damaging a finished floor. There are also wood footies, etc, etc, or dream up your own solution. Here are a couple shown on Marco web pages. There are many others out there.

big foot (resized).jpgbig foot (resized).jpgwood footie (resized).jpgwood footie (resized).jpg
#10955 3 years ago

If it's an older NIB that has been sitting for a long time and not a more recent build you may need to rename the file. If it's that old of build.

Otherwise you need a good stick and put only the update files for the game on it etc.

I am sure one of AP guys will chime in. They are very helpful.

Enjoy your game.

#10974 3 years ago

I looked at the file I downloaded on my pc and saved last fall, then loaded on USB stick. I use a PNY stick...

Your issue might be how you saved the file, how you named it, or your stick or a combo of these.

This is how the file is named in my pc:

houdini-gamecode_19.4.7pkg

#11023 3 years ago

How about Hot Wheels and Houdini

IMG_2986 (resized).JPGIMG_2986 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#11238 3 years ago

Add a Hot Wheels pin to your order.

#11246 3 years ago

Sounds kinky phrased like that.

2 weeks later
#11434 3 years ago

I have a brand new set of factory Inner Art Blades. I never bothered to install them in my game. Can ship in a tube. Shoot me a PM with an offer if anyone has interest in a set or wants some spares.

Added over 4 years ago:

Art Blades no longer available. Headed to a fellow Houdini owner.

2 months later
#11728 3 years ago

Yes - You want to be at 6 degrees of pitch, plus maybe a hair. You don't want to set the game up too steep. Get it level side to side also. Use a good quality digital torpedo level on the playfield. You are getting good advice from the others.

If your floor isn't real level you can start with all the legs screwed out a little - an equal amount, so you can get 6 degrees while adjusting for differences in your floor.

#11765 3 years ago

I have a knocker on order. I also have the original power source in my game. @ Lilpro66 can you post a picture to clarify the install wiring ?

2 weeks later
#11820 3 years ago
Quoted from SpinnerAddict:

Anyone happen to have the instructions on the water torture chamber? I cant find mine and couldn’t find anything on hooked website.
Thx

I think this may help you for hooking it up. Follow the photos.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0r5VaUrzZ7DMA

and a link to the post where this came from earlier in the thread :

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/230#post-5847671

#11829 3 years ago

That was your first play ? Holy Smokes !

#11832 3 years ago

Maybe check your game settings too and adjust to your liking. Might be some of the setting are set very liberal - not that I doubt your skill as a player. Set it up to your preferences. I know you are going to enjoy the game for a long time. One of my favorite games. Enjoy !

#11838 3 years ago

Your scores are impressive. Pull off one or both flipper bats and then you'll have a challenge.

Better yet - Play blindfolded - appropriate for Houdini .

#11861 3 years ago

Hold and release flippers - toss cards into the moving targets. You'll get the hang of it after doing it a couple times.

1 week later
#11911 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Did you install the new power supply? The EOS switches? The Coil Power Capacitor board? Code won't likely help, since nothing in software will help a flipper stop collapsing if hit hard enough and the main windings are already unpowered. Remember, initially both coil windings are energized to move the flipper, but a millisecond later, ONLY the holding coil stays ON. There is no way for the software to know if the flipper is knocked down without the EOS switches, and the ability for the holding coil to keep the flipper UP during fast play decreases greatly when using only the original unregulated power supply.
The new regulated supply is a tremendous upgrade to the toroidal unregulated supply that comes in the machine. A regulated supply ALWAYS delivers 48VDC regardless of the input voltage to the pinball machine. That eliminates all of the hundreds of discussions in this thread about line voltage and variacs. A regulated supply such as this has enough amps to power all the activated coils, and the voltage never changes. Bottom line: If you are having flipper performance issues still, invest in the Upgrades shown above. (API sells the three items for about $210 today, and if you talk to Kishan, he'll provide the $150 credit which will entirely covers a knocker and shaker or a knocker and art side blades)
(Not recommended, but the DIY version is to find any quality 48VDC 600-750 watt or greater supply, and install it yourself. Then look in this thread on installing your own EOS switches which are quite common parts. You can also add a coil performance 10,000uf 63volt capacitor yourself too. )

also review this : You may not need all of this. The original power supply has it's pluses and minuses as does the upgraded one. Thats why the capacitor kit was added for the newer supply. If your home voltage is consistent and you are on a good circuit in your home you may need nothing. I run the original power supply and have no issues. Here is a good explanation about the differences in game power supply - see link

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/223#post-5804376

#11918 3 years ago

As long as it's done well I don't think a future owner - if you sold it - would ding you for it. Nice clean job and placed in a "stock" looking location I'd say you are probably good.

You seem to know your electronics and such - I'd say let her rip if that's your fancy.

1 week later
#12051 3 years ago

I have no troubles bone stock as originally issued with 1st run power supply. Flipper positions stock etc. No power loss with trunk and Seance multiballs running at same time etc. Catapult consistent. But I had new dedicated circuits for my pins put in when I upgraded the main panel electrical service in my house a few years ago. My Houdini is on a circuit with two other pins. Wired it for 3-4 pins per circuit. House voltage is pretty stable to start with.

Your mileage may vary due to your particular game and existing conditions.

1 week later
#12171 3 years ago

Also updated. Easy Peesy. All wonderful.

1 week later
#12302 3 years ago

Nice topper. Just don't have the room for one in my game room... Everything stays topless ... I'm ok with that.

1 week later
#12337 3 years ago

Ballcam !

#12341 3 years ago

Robot mod looks like it's pretty nice. Did they stop making them ?

#12359 3 years ago

Mirror blades too thick for Houdini.

Besides if you put in Mirrors you would need smoke. ( Smoke and Mirrors - it's Magic )

2 months later
#12603 2 years ago

@ zahner

Shooting Seance in order - I have done them in order about once also .

1 month later
#12647 2 years ago

Freddykaboodle

Two new non licensed titles yet this year is the latest information if what I have read is correct. First title in another month or two if that is also accurate.
This from web sources and not any direct information. We will know the title on announcement.

I was told awhile back, that they will not announce until they have games in boxes ready to ship. If that still holds true, and the other info considered I think we will see a new game yet this summer ?

Bring it on AP !

1 month later
#12844 2 years ago

I have one of the early run Houdini's with original power source etc. No electrical modifications and have no issues and catapult is consistent, flippers are fine and no issues with multiball play etc. However I think power into my house is consistent and I do have dedicated circuits and breakers for my pinball line. I have no more than 3-4 pins per circuit breaker. Added those pinball circuits when I had my electrical service upgraded at my house about 5 years back.

I think the consistency of power and draw on your circuits has a bearing on whether or not you experience a variance in how your game operates.

My game plays great and it's an early model. But as stated I have good clean dedicated line for power. Adjustments and set up I am sure are a factor too, but if you have good power your odds of things running consistently go up.

#12904 2 years ago
Quoted from splitcms:

I just ordered a Houdini today. Never played an American pinball game before but American pinball seems like a good company and I’d like to start giving them my business. Excited to play it and potentially buy Oktoberfest next.

Congratulations. You may also want to consider a Hot Wheels as your next AP title choice !

4 weeks later
#13032 2 years ago
Quoted from Vegas9:

Our production lines continue to be very busy. I can share on behalf of all of us at AP, that we are extremely grateful that more and more folks are discovering American Pinball games.
Michael

Vegas9 - Michael - Help me discover game #4 !

Thanks
John

2 months later
#13449 2 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

just incase you missed my post in the black Friday thread.
[quoted image]

Thanks Dave. Hadn't seen this.

#13463 2 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

You buying toppers now? Great Black Friday deals!

No on Toppers - always topless in my basement. You know that.

Nice to know there are Black Friday deals though.

2 weeks later
#13522 2 years ago
Quoted from Moomert1:

Anyone else have family who wont play the game because its "too difficult"? I like the game a lot.......but I might sell it to get something more family friendly for the whole household to enjoy.

Houdini is an excellent game, but if you have to switch out for another game for the family I'd suggest Hot Wheels. Should be fun for everyone.

1 week later
#13543 2 years ago
Quoted from Shaqatak:

Hi guys, I am in Australia and just picked up my NIB Houdini from the distributor yesterday. It is a 2018 build. Loving the game. The only issue I am having is the right flipper losing power during multi ball. I noticed there were posts on this from 2 years ago but did not see what the fix is. I have the current code. TIA for any help.

Your line power - voltage into the house or specifically the circuit to the game can make a difference too. I have dedicated circuits for my pins and have no issues. My Houdini runs the first generation power supply, I have no upgrades to the flippers and my game performs admirably. Trunk shot extremely consistent and my flipper strength is fine even during stacked multiballs.

I have 20 amp breakers with no more than 3 games on each circuit. I have 6 separate breakers for my pins and all pins can be played heavily at once when I have league or a party. Right now I am sitting with 18 games but I can squeeze in a few more and run 3-4 per circuit with never a worry. Went on the side of more circuits than needed but since I had the electrician installing them when I had my main fuse panel upgraded the cost wasn't much more adding a circuit or two more than I needed.

Quality and consistency of your line power to the game does have some bearing I believe. Your mileage may vary.

2 weeks later
#13561 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

The grill is arriving tomorrow

Installing a grill in a pinball machine is a crazy idea. You could start a fire ! Best to grill outside.

2 weeks later
#13576 2 years ago
Quoted from c818919taylor:

best ive done in a bit
great night of Houdini.
[quoted image]

I probably couldn't even get that score with the glass off. And you did that in a little over 18 minutes. Holy cow.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider noquarters.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread?tu=noquarters and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.