New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 183206)

American Pinball Houdini thread

By lllvjr

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11,787 posts
  • 632 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Soundkillr
  • Topic is favorited by 161 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,549 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

346776DD-AB0A-4DB4-A9C4-32173777E317 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
PXL_20201125_235431894.jpg
20201125_181721550_iOS (resized).jpg
67C59F8B-6D1D-4D4A-A3EE-83FACDF6318F (resized).jpeg
4E73C318-2BE2-4A27-B62A-D04C56A1BCC1 (resized).jpeg
4798D04D-98E0-46B0-ACFC-328381106765 (resized).jpeg
AFE31B92-5653-44E1-B4DF-32A1511AD81F (resized).jpeg
0C31DB62-FCE5-4429-AEA1-6142DCE9325E (resized).jpeg
3072E1B4-E767-454E-8B52-C2B26EA5ED22 (resized).jpeg
78C86DFC-C642-4CD5-9FFE-43D05E392D78 (resized).jpeg
B9DAF8C0-22E7-476F-B8EE-3F8341281418 (resized).jpeg
5938E1CB-BC59-4F62-A5A1-D410A57B94EB (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #145 Houdini Pinball initial flyer Posted by HighProtein (3 years ago)

Post #184 Initial reveal at TPF Posted by SilverballNut (3 years ago)

Post #190 Introductory Price of Houdini Posted by 1iblind (3 years ago)

Post #198 Initial Pictures of Machine Posted by lllvjr (3 years ago)

Post #229 Playfield Close-Up Pics Posted by bigd1979 (3 years ago)

Post #284 Machine feature details Posted by rosh (3 years ago)

Post #312 More feature details Posted by rosh (3 years ago)

Post #385 Double switch lane picture Posted by pinballrockstar (3 years ago)

Post #420 Pinball show appearance schedule for Houdini Posted by rosh (3 years ago)

Post #434 Houdini pics from Allentown show Posted by PinballSTAR (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mr68.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#516 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

for example, you would need to remove nothing from the playfield to give it a good cleaning.

BOOM! Am I the only clean freak, show piece collector/player that noticed this comment? The hits just keep coming on this title for me.

With the current shit storms involving Stern, Dutch and Heighway Pinball, I have been on a game buying sabbatical and have considered leaving the hobby. Houdini has me excited again.

And thank you Josh Kugler for spending time with all of us here.

1 month later
#636 3 years ago

A lot of recent conversation about proprietary boards/operating system and it has become a legitimate concern regarding one of the struggling new company's. I'm hoping Houdini will be using a P-Roc system much like TBL did for possible future needs. And if so, I'm also wondering if code will be open source.

My apologies if this has already been covered. I'm very interested in the game as everything so far has hit my sweet spot.

#642 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

While I continue to give back code to the pyprocgameHD-SkeletonGame, the foundation of the system and the same that TNA is using

This is one of the things I admire about you and others who do the same. Speaks well of your company too.

Quoted from rosh:

we have not made a decision if the game code will be open source, but I would not bet on it.

I totally get it from a business stand point and I won't be dissuaded either way. I love everything I'm hearing so far.

#647 3 years ago

Fantastic video from what I saw of it. 2.5 hours is way too much video for me but I watched quite a bit of it.
This pretty much seals the deal for me on this machine. I'll be coming out of my NIB hibernation for this one.

#650 3 years ago
Quoted from Ricflair:

Why another playfield with a "phone-looking" device? Don't recall this on earlier playfields. A lot of people don't care for that on "Dialed In' - why is it here too?

I think Alien is doing this phone feature also and you are the first person I've heard complain about it. I happen to love it and can see great possibilities for its use.

There's only so much real estate to work with on a playfield. If you wanted the water-torture or something else, it could be displayed on that screen and become ingratiated into game play. For example, beat the mode, the animation begins with the glass on the torture chamber breaking and you flood into multiball.

I do agree the water-torture feature is paramount for this game and I'd surprised if it were to be left off.
(Get on it Josh)

#654 3 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

The reverse the arms thing doesn't help me at all. Everything still feels backwards.

Quoted from BorgDog:

Yup, same on drunk multiball on CCC. Brain knows the arms are crossed and compensates.

It worked the very first time and every time for me and very naturally. Funny thing was the time I excitedly yelled at a friend of mine to quickly cross his arms when the game suddenly changed over. He played multiball brilliantly but repeatedly kept saying out loud, "How the hell am I doing this?", "How the hell am I doing this?"

#679 3 years ago

I'm confident in Josh's ability and will allow him to make the "Curtain Call". Take a bow, Josh.

0bd90fca8b18fbc397e5886e3aabc92f (resized).jpg

3 months later
#868 3 years ago

Reference sand: There's a daycare center under the playfield. You put your infant through the coin door and you both can play.

#882 3 years ago

It's for when a competitor is gloating about victory, you can tell him to go pound sand.

#913 3 years ago

harry-houdini-buried-alive-unknown (resized).jpg
image003 copy (resized).jpeg

#932 3 years ago

So I was right about pounding sand.

#959 3 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Well it's the biggest show of the year and they're intending to ship in November or December ... if not now then when?

Opinions vary but Chicago Expo use to be the biggest show of the year. Significant, yes, but dwindling each year and now a shell of its former self.
I wonder which vendor or organisation will quit after this year.

#1020 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Ive been a Houdini fan forever, so the theme grabs me.
The art, look and reports on Game play have me excited.
But what excites me most, is Rosh himself.
A Gentleman, who has been selfless with his time on this thread, and the project.
I feel, and hope, with the little I know, that Rosh, has turned this into a challenging game,
with his superior skills at coding!
I cant speak more highly about his personal motivation.
Houdini, for the "win" this year.

Agreed. I also admire how Josh (Rosh) promotes and represents his company and product without spamming all of Pinside with negative opinions about competing manufactures. Very adult and professional.

#1123 3 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

I have owned a TFTC and the bumpers on data east were never very responsive. At times it would hit a few times and that's all, it would appear like the skirts were too thick and wouldn't really be as much action as you would hope.

Your pop bumpers are out of adjustment. Most likely the spoons are misaligned and things need to be tightened up. Search for tech help as it's a simple fix with basic tools.
Or just lift the hood to visually inspect them, manipulate the skirts by hand to see how they function underneath and see if you can figure it out. Its kinda fun actually.

#1135 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Does anybody include Cliffys right out of the box?

Yes. The Big Lebowski did.

#1140 3 years ago

I didn't know.... and I'm now sad and angry about it.

#1198 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I've gotten hugs from Joe, but not sure I have gotten back rubs. Cointaker is certainly another great distributor, trying to remember if I have gotten hugs or back rubs from them.

I love how competitive the industry has gotten.

#1230 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

What's the secret word?

Josh Kugler

#1275 3 years ago
Quoted from Cobra:

Can someone post a link to the interview?

I'll send it to you privately. Some on Pinside might have a hissy fit otherwise.

#1279 3 years ago
Quoted from Aquapin:

Me too please...

Quoted from Yelobird:

Please include me on the Email interview Please!!

I think it's silly we have to resort to going underground this way but emails have been sent.

#1290 3 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Thanks, 26 pages and not enough time to go through them all. Thx again

Here is a link to all of Josh's comments so far in this thread. Worth reading if you've just begun following.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread?tu=rosh

3 weeks later
#1356 3 years ago

I'm assuming that Josh and American had a nice Thanksgiving break.

3 weeks later
#1601 2 years ago

As a consumer, I think Houdini is an excellent theme for a machine and you guys are hitting my sweet spots all around. The steampunk artwork looks amazing to me and greatly compliments the theme. My single and only criticism that I have so far is the backbox head shape. Other than that, this game has winner written all over it.

And you, Josh, are a fantastic representative of your company and your product.

BTW. I'm guessing that my suggestion for a powerball as a spirit ball, did not work because of the different weight in the catapult. But I never heard back.

1 week later
#1666 2 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

#6 or #7 will likely be on our showroom.

Will that included the BBQ I can mooch off of you?

1 month later
#1911 2 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

All good man should we ever meet the first beer is on me.... as well as the joke, hahaha

Quoted from ZMeny:

I would love nothing more than to grab a beer with ya buddy!

Hold up fella's. I've got mad respect for both of you knuckleheads and I want in on those beers too.

#1983 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Reminds me of a pool rack that you hang on a wall.

The silhouette reminds me of panties on the floor.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Bryant, AR
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mr68.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside