20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #145 Houdini Pinball initial flyer Posted by HighProtein (7 years ago)

Post #184 Initial reveal at TPF Posted by SilverballNut (7 years ago)

Post #190 Introductory Price of Houdini Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #198 Initial Pictures of Machine Posted by lllvjr (7 years ago)

Post #229 Playfield Close-Up Pics Posted by bigd1979 (7 years ago)

Post #284 Machine feature details Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #312 More feature details Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #385 Double switch lane picture Posted by pinballrockstar (6 years ago)

Post #420 Pinball show appearance schedule for Houdini Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #434 Houdini pics from Allentown show Posted by PinballSTAR (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider meSz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7993 5 years ago

Looking at possibly purchasing a Houdini and would like to know what to look for? Any issues etc. Appreciate any insight. Apologies up front as I admit I'm too lazy to go back and read (Just under) 8k post

#8002 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

The main issue was/is the 48 volt power supply is unregulated which isn't a problem until one is in multiball and multiple coils are firing, they can bog down. I have a PV system on my roof and my house voltage varies by 4-6 v day to night and that also seemed to cause differences in the coils. Not everybody has issues or notices them. AP offers a very generous upgrade for those who do experience problems. While this is their thread it has been taken over by owners who are not shy about voicing minor issues, but mostly offer ideas on tweaking the game. When I got my game I read back about half way, there are a few stand out folks here.
This brings up another point, American Pinball has been very responsive and supportive to their clients. The active refinement to the code has served to make this a very fun game. If by chance you are basing your decision to purchase based on many of the reviews out there, reconsider, It is playing much better now than a year ago due to the latest software. And I suspect it will only get better
My other games are 20-30 years old and I wanted a modern game. I could not be happier than with Houdini. It has tough shots which we don't always make but when we do make them it is so much fun!

Not basing my decision on anything other than I liked the game when I played it! I just wanted to know what, if any, known issues were out there so I know what to look for or ask. Unfortunately the machine I was looking to get sold so I am looking for one in the Santa Barbara area if anyone has one!!!

Thanks for the post!

#8043 5 years ago

Someone help me out with a measurement please? Need to know, for transportation purposes, what the height of Houdini is with the backbox down and legs off. Want to see if I buy one if it will fit in my vehicle. Also, if you would, give measurement of the highest point of the main cabinet itself in case I have to take the backbox off. THANKS

#8051 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

Without dropping the back box, I figure the height to be 30" without back box it is 25"

Thank you

#8056 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

The main issue was/is the 48 volt power supply is unregulated which isn't a problem until one is in multiball and multiple coils are firing

Is this an issue that was related to all Houdini games or just early production? Was there a fix done for it or was it left up to owners to fix the issue?

#8060 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

a small percentage of owners had power issues, due to fluctuations in the power grid in their area or in their home. The upgrade power supply fixes this. Some owners who did not have the issue, still chose to do the upgrade. The upgrade is around $150, but when you get it, there is a coupon that gives you $150 towards most other items in our store. So some bought the power supply and then subsequently used the credit to get the shaker motor or knocker or plastics or some other item.
You can tell if it has the upgraded power supply by looking in the cabinet, were you will see a switch power supply near the main Toroid power supply.

Thanks Rosh, much appreciated

1 week later
#8211 5 years ago

Picked up a Houdini this week and found these inside. What are these decals and ribbon cable for? The 2 square decals are extra spinner decals I assume?

CA240E4F-4A5E-4D83-BEC5-894FC3BF193F (resized).jpegCA240E4F-4A5E-4D83-BEC5-894FC3BF193F (resized).jpeg
#8213 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Yes, the top hat and rabbit are spinner decals.
The red drapes are spare decals for stage door mech.
The ribbon cable and mini board are for the mini playfield display. If you take shroud off back of mini display you can plug this in and adjust the brightness and contrast of the display.

Thank you

#8270 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

It's a bit of money, but you at least get a code for $150 towards parts or a knocker.
So, it's not horribly terrible in that respect.

Agree, figured i am going to buy few items for my Houdini so why not buy the power supply, get the code and then order what I want. In the end I am getting the power supply or additional parts (however you want to look at it) for no cost.

#8279 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Funny how regular people understand how this is an incredible customer service move on the part of AP.. and others just want to crap all over it. I mean I’ve seen worse thinking but that spin is definitely a head scratcher

Yeah and I am the second owner of the game. For AP to do this for me as a second owner is even more of an incredible customer service move on their part!

Quoted from imagamejunky:

WOW
Vireland and Mbwalker, you guys are great! Thank you for taking the time to post. I appreciate it!

A lot of people use the Polk Subs...... https://www.amazon.com/Polk-10-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer-Single/dp/B0002KVQBA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa

1 week later
#8462 5 years ago

Anyone replace the LEDs in the Flood lights? Not finding the # of the LED on the existing ones but appears to be 906?

#8471 5 years ago

Anyone..... the LEDs in the spotlights are they 906 Wedge Base Flasher Lamps?

#8473 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I really thought they were 555s

Me too until I pulled one out, look too big to be 555s and there are 8 LEDs on it so thinking they're the 906 Wedge Base Flasher Lamps

Only marking on them are CT ROSH 13VAC

#8475 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That’s kind of funny it says “Rosh”

Yeah he had the LEDs personalized

#8491 5 years ago

Anyone know how to .....

1. Add a Custom Message to the machine? I know how to turn it on and off but not sure how or where you type in the message!
2. Any instructions on how to install the update power supply. The new power supply comes with the wires, all connectors on it, with it but no instructions as to what is to plug in where.
3. Lastly, I ordered the EOS for the flippers so if anyone is familiar with installing the kit from AP. Haven't received them yet but figured I would ask while posting my other questions!

Thanks!

#8493 5 years ago

Brilliant! Thanks Lloyd as always!

Am I missing how to add a Custom Message? Just not seeing where to type in what you want!

#8505 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Use a PNG image 1366x768
Call it custom_message.png (I think, not at computer)
Put on usb stick
Power on game
Insert usb into usb extension cable in cabinet
Follow display info about removing and restarting
Turn on in settings

Thanks Rosh

1 week later
#8544 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I did notice a dip in the flipper strength occasionally when in a multiball

I am experiencing this as well. During multiball if I have the flipper cradling a ball and another ball comes down the flipper will give for a brief moment. Barry felt it was the EOS. Nonetheless, and to your point, I went ahead and ordered the power supply then used the code to order the EOS, Art Blades and Shaker Motor (which I recommend).

#8555 5 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

I attempted to put some Comet 2-smd frosted LEDs in the coin door last weekend and they melted from overheating in a few minutes. Anyone else had issues replacing any lights?

You probably put the wrong bulbs in .... the coin door takes 161 not 555

#8557 5 years ago

#8562 5 years ago

161 bulbs, also should be in manual.
Would love to see a full published manual when time is right. Yes, i lnow its online.

Unless I missed it the bulbs are not listed in the Service Manual online.

#8569 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Coin door lamps are 12volt. I'll let the manual folks know to add it.

Rosh, may want them to add all bulb numbers for people. I guessed when I ordered colored LEDs for the two spotlights. I ordered 906 Wedge Base Flasher Lamps. But again this is not noted in the manual.

#8607 4 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

Would someone please post a video of the EOS switch installation? I don't want to solder the wires to the wrong place! Thanks.

http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2018-11/End-Of-Stroke-Switch.pdf

#8609 4 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

I have the PDF. Video would be really helpful.

Ok ... I have yet to do mine so apologies can't help ya....maybe someone else can!

#8639 4 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

do WE know when the official Release comes out

Release is to coincide with what Houdini claimed to be his birthday (April 6th).

#8645 4 years ago
Quoted from Crazydaisy:

Just wondered if Barry was away or uncontactable at the moment , have emailed twice over the last week about a current service ticket and have not received a reply ?
Thanks.

If I am correct I thought he was at a show this past week so it might just be as simple as him being a little behind on work.

May want to post your issue here and someone might be able to help ya!

1 week later
#8740 4 years ago

Just an FYI for anyone interested. I am not a big mod person but I do like the BriteButtons http://www.britemods.com/britebuttons-.html on machines. So with the help from Dan at BriteButtons and Terry at Pinball Life we were able to figure out a set for Houdini. If anyone is interested in adding these to their game all you need to do is .....

(For the most part you follow the instructions on the sheet that comes with the buttons)
Order BriteButtons for Williams/Bally WPC & WPC-95 Machines - I ordered from Pinball Life
Cut the connector off the end and strip back the 2 wires.
Put the red wire into the terminal block with the existing yellow wire
Put the black wire into the terminal block with the existing black wire

(Disclaimer (cuz it’s pinside) I provided the above as an FYI. I am not connected with either Pinball Life nor BriteButtons. I am not a tech so install at your own risk)

4E1882B6-293A-470C-BECB-2CFF190573D2 (resized).jpeg4E1882B6-293A-470C-BECB-2CFF190573D2 (resized).jpeg
#8743 4 years ago

Thank you for posting this info. This was on my list this summer.
Where is the terminal block you used?

3A370047-C0F5-426E-92DB-6BBA6E18D874 (resized).jpeg3A370047-C0F5-426E-92DB-6BBA6E18D874 (resized).jpeg

Attached a picture for you that shows the entire power supply. You can see on the left side is where I have the red and black wires. Red to yellow and black to black.

#8747 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Great info - thanks! I'm a big fan of adding BriteButtons to my games as well.

I added them to my TSPP and really liked them. Easy to install and I think it adds to the game. They have it now where there's a control pad on them so you can control the blinking/strobing, brightness or just leave them on solid.

I added the orange ones to my game and like them. What I would like to see next is for them to allow you to change colors!

#8757 4 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

My stage alley gate broke. Where should I look for a replacement?
[quoted image]

Odd to see this as the guy who I bought my Houdini from said his game came with extra gates and that he read there was an issue with the original gates. Be interesting to see what rosh says.

Again, I was told the above from the original owner of the game I bought. I don't know if there was or is an issue ...just going by what I was told. I have two extra gates in my game for some reason! BTW the originals in mine have yet to break!

#8782 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

There are inserts in three padlock images below houdini's chin and left hand. One is a film reel, one is a morse code button with a finger, and one is jail bars.They illuminate left to right when you lock balls in the trunk.

So are the chain links always illuminated? Do they signify anything as mine just stay on? Thanks for the info!

#8817 4 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

So i installed the new Power supply anderen eos. it's better now, but they still do not feel completely strong during the game. Also i noticed
So what can i do also to get consist strong flippers?
- Install new, stronger coils, but which one?
- Install new sleves (which?)
- Install new anderen stronger return Springs?
Hope you can tell me which coils would be a bit stronger and won't heating Up so fast.
Thank you for your Help

Thanks for the post as I have also installed the Power Supply and find the flippers giving even more now then before. I adjusted flipper power as per the instructions to no avail. During multi-ball my flippers give all the time.

I haven't installed the EOS kit as of yet but that is next on the list!

#8822 4 years ago

Lower pitch changes everything.
Less power is required all around.
Less power means less inertia and the flippers dont have to work as hard.
Lower flipper power give you weaker rebounds off the standups.
The flippers rarely collapse during multiball.
The ramp is barely used so it's not as important as the stage rejects.
The game plays slower but that's not a terrible thing. It's more controllable.

Just curious as to what you have your's set at?

#8832 4 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I’ve called API. Sent in a ticket and texted. No replies yet

Keep in mind the last two weeks they have been away doing shows so give them some time to respond. I sent Barry an email last week and he responded yesterday so be patient!

#8839 4 years ago

6.15 degrees flippers at default +1. Wall power at 119-120v, I have the power supply upgrade.

I have the upgrade as well so will try this and see what happens. thanks!

#8846 4 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Don’t stress. Houdini was definitely one of the easiest pins I’ve installed art blades on. There is plenty of space between playfield and cabinet side. If you’ve done other pins then this one should be easy for you.
I always use the blue painter’s tape method. Put playfield in vertical position as far back as possible. Slide playfield against cabinet side to give maximum space on other side. Tape art blades exactly in place with blue painters tape. Peel back front half of the art blade. Cut that half of the backing off with a razor. Stick half of art blade in place. Lower and move playfield as far forward as possible on rails. Peel remaining backing off and stick in place. Easy peasy

or just take the pf out. It's not difficult to do as it's just a 5-6 connectors and one screw to remove.

I took mine out and it made installing the blades and upgraded power supply so much easier.

1 week later
#8912 4 years ago

Anyone else that purchased the Houdini Custom Water Torture Mod have theirs fall off? Not looking to bash the maker, just looking to see if anyone else had an issue. Was in the midst of a game and all of a sudden it fell over. Upon inspecting it the screw has plastic in its threads so just appears it was a poor way of fixing the unit to the bracket.

916D5AEC-1E5F-4155-A5AB-96BDD18DA747 (resized).jpeg916D5AEC-1E5F-4155-A5AB-96BDD18DA747 (resized).jpeg
#8917 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’m confused - it looks like this is the Mod Couple version. The HOP version is cast, and this looks 3d printed to me

Apologies for the confusion, it’s the Mod Couple one. It’s 3D printer made. Not knocking it just a poor way to attach it to bracket.

#8925 4 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

I had the same problem so I made a simple 3D printed bracket. You can download it here if you want to try it. I used double sided tape to attach the mod to the bracket, and an existing screw on the game to mount the bracket. FYI you have to be very careful when raising the playfield so that your don't catch the mod if you mount it in that corner.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3589514
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Appreciate the info .... now all I need is a 3D Printer
and yeah agree...where the mod sets you have to be very careful when raising the playfield for which I am.
Thanks again for the info!

1 week later
#8949 4 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

New power supply will have nothing to do with the re-booting issue as it is 48V. Your problem is on the 12V line.
Do you have and extra lights wired in or any Mods?

Barry, interested in this as I added the BtiteMods flipper buttons, LED strip in the ball through and have the Water Torture mod installed. Is this going to be an issue? Oh forgot, also adding the knocker!

3 weeks later
#8999 4 years ago

For the record I added the “upgraded power supply“ and EOS and my left flipper still gives during multi-ball. Also the “upgraded” power supply fan is loud.

Love the game just some faux pas to it. Still can believe these guys put out this game for a first pin. Can’t wait to play Oktoberfest

#9018 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

http://www.passionforpinball.com/protectors.htm
But I think you have to PM him since Houdini isn't listed.

Look on the WHATS NEW page. Houdini is listed there.

3 weeks later
#9150 4 years ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

Oh wow super cool. Ok thanks for the info! Some day hopefully I'll get a Houdini. So sweet.

If you're ever in the area and want to play let me know!

#9152 4 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

I have to receive the EOS and the new power supply

I installed the EoS and "upgraded" power supply and still have the problem with the flippers giving out. I will admit it's not as frequent but still an issue!

#9154 4 years ago

All of a sudden I am getting a lot of air balls.....have flipper strength at 23???

#9176 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

* None of my coils work
* Game boots with no apparent errors
* Start button does not start a game
* Switch test shows my flipper buttons and start button working
* Backed out my knocker installation and still no coils

I'm guessing a connector did get unseated but not sure what to look for. Double checked the black and brown wires going into the wall nut.

BTW, I HATE those two wall nuts. Seems like a really cheesy way to hook up power to the game components. I plug in one wire and another falls out. Doesn't seem very stable. Has anyone tried a better connector setup like a terminal block?

Dang, I installed the shaker and knocker with a lot more ease then you're having! My issues with the installs were only with the cover to the shaker didn't fit real well as AP made changes to the cab where the cover easily fits over the shaker whereas mine I had to really push it into place. The knocker, they sent me the wrong wiring harness as, again, they made changes to the board and a different harness was needed for Houdini. Other then this I had no issues, even with the asinine "T-nuts"!

You go through all connectors and A. make sure they're all in and B. make sure you didn't offset one?

#9179 4 years ago

Enable stage eject in the menu.
It barely works but it's fun to play with.

Yeah it fails to eject it more times then not!

Quoted from sebseb12:

Josh thinks the problem comes from the control system.
He is working on it to update the system

So the EoS, power supply nor the wall current is the issue but the control system? Hopefully this is the case!

#9188 4 years ago

Playing a game today and the following happened:

-I had Return From Beyond and was one letter (N) away from spelling SEANCE but the machine recognized it as if I spelled it out and let play resume even though the N was still flashing.
-Wire gate for ball through just broke. That's some cheap metal they used on those gates.
-During Bullet Catch my ball drained and ended Bullet Catch but for some reason the machine kicked out a ball from the scoop and continued play as opposed to the turn/ball ending.

#9195 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

On Return, you can earn a letter by hitting a magic target. That may be what happened to you to give you rhe final letter.
Bullet catch becomes a 2 ball multiball at a certain point, but shuts down the mode once you drain one of the balls. The ball aerved drom the scoop may have been your remaining ball.
I haven't broken any gates in a year of use, but both flipper springs broke. Too powerful flippers can be a cause for breaks, hut but probably not the trough gate.

Thanks for the info and education. Good to know there's no issues here other then the broken wire gate. Never had one break on a game before. Not an ordeal just being that the game is home use only, for it to break, was eye opening.

3 weeks later
#9297 4 years ago

How are people adjusting the catapult? Mine is missing more often then not!

#9310 4 years ago

Aghhh what

Quoted from manadams:

Mine was rock solid when I got it. After about 30 plays it was missing short and found out it was related to my AC running all the time lowering my house voltage a bit. I bumped it up from a 26 to a 27 on coil strength and it would miss left. Pretty sad I have to make sure my AC is not running for it to play right but there is no setting between 26 and 27 to find a happy medium.

Mine is missing left n right. So not a matter of being short.

#9317 4 years ago

Low power usually misses left.
High power usually misses right.
I put the game on a variac to correct this.
But currently the variac is disconnected. The upgraded power supply seems to correct this behavior well enough.
My power changes throughout the day from 113v to 121v continuously.
All of my games are affected.
New, old, it doesn't matter.
I have my WOZ on a variac set to 115v and adjusted the game to play well at that power.
Plays very good now.

So get this, I dropped the coil setting to 26 and ball is now making it. In test at 27 I notice the ball was hitting the plastic ramp. When I dialed it down to 26 it slightly hits the plastic ramp but makes the trunk. Anyone else notice this???

#9326 4 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

someone has news of the next code?

crickets

#9360 4 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

hoping that the next code will solve the power problems

Lets hope as the flipper issue is annoying as hell. IMO it's the biggest problem with Houdini. I've done the EOS, power supply, cleaned contacts, messed with settings, knock down the flippers and still have the flippers give out.

#9381 4 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Please Report back, If it helped and how it Houdini plays now.

I have a feeling the flippers will still be an issue.

Quoted from TomDK:

First extra powersupplie was loud as hell and had breakdowns after longer playing.

I also had to send back a power supply as it sounded like a vacuum cleaner (little writers embellishment) was running inside my pin!

#9402 4 years ago

You all are hoping for more code updates whereas I am just hoping there's a fix for the flipper issue.

2 months later
#9627 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Guys don’t get your hopes up! There’s a lot going on at AP lately ...

Agree, be surprised if it happens at all. AP is onto Oktoberfest and the fourth coming redemption game.

Furthermore it doesn’t help that Dan (works for AP) had no knowledge of the issue nonetheless that any further software release, for Houdini, was fourth coming. (Referencing Conversation in Oktoberfest post).

#9630 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Josh posted at one point that he's only able to work on Houdini in his spare time - of which I'm sure
There's no much these days! I love The game as is, But There's no question it ain't done. Whatever though, I can wait.

Yeah it is what it is!

I just think, if any new pinball company wants to set itself apart from the others.....release a game when announced and then have finished code 6 months after it’s released! Hell make it 12 months and they’ll still be way ahead of the others.

2 months later
#9801 4 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

I think one of the things Rosh was looking to do was a firmware update on all the boards. Nothing stopping this machine on having a lightshow equivalent to TNA etc. It really could do with improvements in this area. The whole package needs to be a bit slicker. It has the makings of a top 20 pin with shots, theme And toys!

Yeah the update was to be EOY 2019

3 weeks later
#9894 4 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Dont Rush...get it right.. (Former QA Head)

2 years isn't rushing.

1 week later
#9928 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

AP game 3 confirmed!

You're not supposed to talk about it!

2 weeks later
#9965 4 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

I had a look at that I think it might have been grazing the plastic around the catapult area and pushing it that far right hence if I bend the bracket as if it’s missing left, according to the instructions (towards the outside of the cabinet), it clears the plastic and now shoots properly with glass off. I’ll try and bend it a bit more and we’ll see what happens from there.
But I’m truely perplexed

When I had my Houdini I had same issue (hitting the plastic ramp), I went in and reduced the catapult coil by 1, I think it was 26, and it resolved the issue. After I sold the game the buyer calls me and tells me he's having an issue with the catapult. I told him what I did previously and he text me back advising it fixed the issue.

In short, anyone having an issue with the pinball not making it into the trunk, mess with the coil strength.
Take the glass off
Turn machine on and go into settings find catapult set it to 26
place pinball into catapult and see what happens
adjust up/down strength by 1 and test again.

#9976 4 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Is it consisently missing to one side or is it short? Maybe the glass is squaring up the cabinet and tweaking the side to side geometry? You might have to open up the catapult bracket holes with a Dremel and adjust to compensate.

I would think this is not necessary. As stated previously I had the same issues with the ball hitting off the glass and also hitting off the side of the plastic ramp. Both issues were resolved with adjusting the catapult strength.

2 weeks later
#10009 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Check your flipper switches, make sure they are clean (you can use a coarse business card to clean them) and that they are gapped correctly. You want to be sure they close well before the button is all the way in.
Check the connections on the power supply to be sure they are properly inserted and tight.

No offense but you're telling him to make certain the switches are clean on a NIB game? The flippers are and has always been an issue on Houdini. When i owned mine I was originally advised it was due to the flipper switches, machine less then a year old, then it was the power supply so I upgraded and no change. Then it was due to the EOS so I upgraded. I was then advised it was due to the power supply needing adjusted and when asked as to how I know how much to adjust I was advised "not certain as I'm not familiar enough with the newer upgraded power supply". Lastly, I was advised it was "a known issue and it would be corrected in the next software update". So now I see it's back to the switches being clean and gapped properly?

The flipper issue isn't a huge ordeal, just annoying that it happens. There has to be a simple solution to the issue and to stop then from giving out.

I think Houdini is a nice machine. Yes some of the shots are tight but for a first machine by a new start company it's a great start.

#10019 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I do take some offense, regardless, that is exactly what I am telling him. Even a NIB game, especially one that has been sitting for some time in a warehouse, can have residue or dirt on the leaf switches that can interfere with the electrical connection, same is true if a leaf switch is not quite gapped or aligned correctly. In my years of owning machines there have been multiple occasions where I have experienced odd flipper behavior that was corrected by cleaning the switch blades (or even optos), often on a game that as not seen much play. I'm not saying that is definitely the issue, but it makes far more sense to start with the easy stuff that can often be the cause vs jumping to more complex things to investigate. If that does not take are of it, we will move to the next step.

Apologies as I try not to come off negative or like I am attacking someone. As an owner of this game I went through everything to fix the flipper issue, numerous emails and some calls (sidenote: AP was great in responding and trying to help), to no avail. Let me ask this .... once an owner cleans and confirms the leafs are clean and gapped properly, gets the power supply upgrade, adds the EOS and ensures that the latest code is updated whats next when the flipper issue still is apparent?

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

In their defense also- AP has been very clear the EOS switches don’t really have any measurable effect on the flippers, and are not officially supported

Again, not trying to be negative here. Just wanted to know if a fix ever came to fruition for this. As for the EOS, I was advised differently. I was told "the EOS could resolve this issue". Now I will say "could" doesn't mean it will but for the price of the EOS I gave it a whirl and it didn't.

At no point did I think AP was just trying to get me to purchase stuff. I just didn't think anyone really knew what causes/caused the issue. As you're aware, as you've posted numerous times on this topic, this is an issue.

Again, Josh apologies if you take offense but this issue has not been resolved and cleaning and gapping the leaf is not the issue. Hopefully for this owner it is but for other it's a ongoing issue. I'll leave it at that.

#10022 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That was Josh.

I hope AP comes up with a fix for these.
LTG : )

Thanks Lloyd, I edited my mistake.

I hope as well as Houdini is a nice game. Just frustrating when you're in the midst of a game and the flipper fails (most of the time during multi-ball when you're hitting a lot of things at once. Almost as if the game can't handle all the power....even with the upgraded power supply).

1 week later
#10085 4 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

I’m looking forward to a Houdini soon.
Ive heard knocker is probably an essential extra. Anything else from owners?
Stay safe -Thx All

The knocker is a cool feature as it's actually used in game play. Certainly recommend getting it! The shaker motor is also nice addition as well as the art blades.

2 weeks later
#10235 3 years ago
Quoted from stevebighead:

Ordering my NIB today! My understanding is the speakers are set up differently. Can I still hook up an external sub? Do you owners find an external sub helps on this machine?

yes and yes

1 month later
#10449 3 years ago
Quoted from melappels:

I am planning to decorate the ramp a little. How about this ??
Its just to see how it looks.
I also put real shackles between the locks.
[quoted image]

Honestly....the originals look better. Those are too skinny. Just my opinion, not a knock.

1 month later
#10537 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Decided to do some testing on the issues with Flipper weakness and short catapult launches during dual MBs today. The magnets are very easy to disconnect so I unhooked all three and then with the glass off started a combination of seance and trunks MBs ten times, being sure to earn the seance jackpot and super jackpot as close to simultaneously as possible while flipping like crazy and triggering switches. In all ten instances I didn't have a single short catapult throw and the flippers maintain their snappiness. I hooked all three magnets back up and repeated the process and I could tell the difference in the flippers almost immediately, I also experienced two really weak catapult launches, not even reaching the base of the trunk enough to make it to the upper catapult. This leads me to believe the issue is definitely still power related even with the upgraded power supply installed. I'm going to look into a logging voltage meter to see if I can track the 48 volt power supply output during load, even better if I can find one that can also measure DC current at the same time to see what it's peaking out at. I may do some more testing with just two magnets connected as well but it's really boring playing seance MB without all the great action the magnets provide. The flippers are not on the same solenoid driver board as the magnets so it's not an issue of an individual board getting maxed out.

Great troubleshooting. This machine, cosmetically, is great. It's a great first machine for any company but it has its flaws. The tight shots and the weak flippers being the biggest. After adding the power supply and EOS switches and no change in the flipper issue I wound up selling my game. NOT just strictly due to these issues as being that I only have room for 2 machines had an impact on my decision as well. Being that Houdini's flipper issue annoyed me enough I sold it and got a WoZ in its place.

Some day when someone figures out a fix for the flipper issue and I have more space I certainly wouldnt mind getting a Houdini again, especially with the price on it dropping. Just saw 5700 for a NIB one, for this machine that's a steal!

#10554 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead306:

How much are the upgraded power supplies and where do you get them from?

If you're going to buy the upgraded supply send AP an email first with your serial number. They had a deal if you purchased the upgraded power supply they would give you the cost of the power supply in credit. So you spend 150 on the power supply and get 150$ to spend on other "mods" for the game from them.

When I purchased my machine last March I was the second owner and they still allowed me to do this. Not sure if this is something they still offer but worth checking into!

#10557 3 years ago
Quoted from KrazyIvan14:

Hi, I had a chance to play this in an arcade and am now looking at getting one, it's great. Does anyone have the width of both the cabinet & the backbox? The website says 29", but I'm assuming that's the backbox (since it's wider than the cabinet)? I live in an old house with the older standard on doors so I wanted to make sure I could get this down to my basement. Any help would be appreciated.

Worse case, if it doesn't fit through your doors, you could take the head off the game. It's more work, obviously, but it will allow you to get it through your doors and also be lighter to carry in two pieces as opposed to one.

Good Luck!

#10603 3 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

why, exactly, are houndini's selling for $5,500 now?

Where are you seeing 5500?

They were selling for around 6k 6 months ago but the price has dropped. There are four listed in Marketplace one for 4700, two for 5k and a NIB one for 5700.

#10647 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Now that I have my game running, time to get the key mods. I see EOS switch kit sold out. rosh will they be available again? I'm also ready to install my shaker and order side blades and real knocker. Any other key mods you all recommend?

EOS switches you'll probably find aren't needed. The shaker, side blades and knocker are great additions. I also liked the Brite Buttons for the flipper. I had installed orange ones and thought it looked great.

Note: If anyone is interested in installing the Brite Buttons I put directions for them here..... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/175#post-4932721

#10656 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Agree re the API sideblades. I hear they are tricky to apply, but they are great looking.

I installed the API sideblades and actually found them easy to install.

1 month later
#10853 3 years ago
Quoted from SpinnerAddict:

Thanks for letting me know. I don’t seem to get the issues all the time but it really irritates me when i have a decent game going and I lose a ball because of it. I’m guessing since its been 2.5 years for you a fix is not gonna happen.

No it's not unfortunately. Installing the upgraded Power Supply, being that you just bought yours you should have upgraded one so no worries there and/or the EOS won't make a difference on the flippers. Supposedly the next software update was to address this but reading the post from those that are testing the BETA have noted the issue still is there.

2 weeks later
#11052 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I'm in the same boat.
I've had my Houdini for about 4 months. I never play it because of the flipper issues. I'm seriously considering selling it because of the flippers.
I hope the fix comes soon before I decide to sell.

and this is what happened with mine. I got to the point it was so annoying I sold it! I liked the game a lot but with AP not knowing what the flipper issue is and pointing towards different things (my favorite is the voltage in your house! I say this as anyone that has Houdini and has the flipper issue probably has more then one machine and it seems Houdini is the only affected by the voltage coming into the house ) I sold it and bought another game. This also steered me away from buying a Oktoberfest for my local German Club.

Before anyone thinks I am bashing AP I am not. In my opinion Houdini is a great game. I actually like the game a lot but the flipper issue just annoyed the hell out of me. If/when they get this resolved I wouldn't mind getting another one down the road but for now there's too many machines out there that I would prefer over a machine that has a flaw like Houdini does!

2 weeks later
#11269 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

There were two made. The Mod Couple one is sold out, but not the interactive model. The interactive one is still available at:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1070-hookedonpinballcom/02152-houdini-chinese-water-torture-mod-factory-interactive-

Available and very nicely detailed.
Josh put in a few lines of code for it to.

Yeah the Mod Couple one the figure is flat and not nearly as detailed as the Interactive one. And, as stated, the Interactive one is (well) interactive with the game itself since code was written for it. Not knocking the Mod Couple, just the Interactive one is nicer.

Quoted from Vino:

Ok turkeys, I’ll order this kit and apparently an EOS kit as well. Game already has power supply, blades, knocker, and shaker.
Anything else the long timers would suggest as an add or backup before I empty my wallet and place another order?

The lighted flipper buttons (BriteButtons) are a nice addition to Houdini as well. I added the Orange ones to mine and it looked really nice. Only drawback is, you can only order them from Pinball Life and since they're not currently shipping via USPS you'll pay around $15 just for shipping.

#11272 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

That sounds pretty cool. I also thought about adding the gold rimmed flipper button from Mezel at: https://mezelmods.com/products/hobbit-pinball-gold-ring-button?_pos=1&_sid=4b5e237c1&_ss=r
This is not a lighted button [?], and a little pricey, but would look pretty cool I think. I really would like something that has the same kind of industrial, metallic look of the game. Anyone have any leads on something metallic that would fall into that category?

yeah the orange lighted ones go really well with the orange in the artwork on the cabinet.

Posted this before but will add again .... for installation of the BriteButtons on a Houdini see my post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/175#post-4932721

#11283 3 years ago
Quoted from SpinnerAddict:

Let me start by saying I like houdini. The layout, the shots and the light show. I had the issue with weak flippers. It was so bad I didn't even turn the machine on for 2 weeks and i just bought it less than 2 months ago NIB. So I ordered the the coil fix. Woohoo! It works great. I have no weak flippers! I put about 12 games on it and flipper power is not an issue. Now, I have flipper collapse. Not all the time but if a ball is whipping around it happens. So now if I want to fix that I have to buy the EOS fix. I know most will say its a great game, I shouldn’t complain about a few issues but this is my 5th NIB and I have never had to buy parts to solder or install to make the game play normal. So here I sit contemplating whether to bite the bullet and fix it or move on.

You're not alone! After being told to do this and do that to fix the flipper issue, to no avail, I moved on. Houdini has the potential to be great game but until AP fixes the flipper issue I'll steer clear of their machines. BTW don't waste the money on the EOS kit ..... it's not going to fix the flipper issue.

#11313 3 years ago

Install the knocker! Its really a lot of fun, totally changes the game.
Just make sure you have an extra 5x20mm fuse for the add on board as the kit might not include one.
It only took about 20 mins to install.

The knocker is a must for this game. AP did a great job in coding the game to use the knocker for more then just winning a free game.

Also, anyone who hasn't added a sub-woofer I really liked one on this machine as well!

3 weeks later
#11492 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Lots of talk of flipper issues, and API just put up a coil enhancement that evens out coil strength.

but does it resolve the flipper issue? Forget about helping as the upgraded power supply was supposed to help and not to mention other things but none ever fixed the issue with the flippers giving during multi-ball.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider meSz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread?tu=meSz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.