20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #145 Houdini Pinball initial flyer Posted by HighProtein (7 years ago)

Post #184 Initial reveal at TPF Posted by SilverballNut (7 years ago)

Post #190 Introductory Price of Houdini Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #198 Initial Pictures of Machine Posted by lllvjr (7 years ago)

Post #229 Playfield Close-Up Pics Posted by bigd1979 (7 years ago)

Post #284 Machine feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #312 More feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #385 Double switch lane picture Posted by pinballrockstar (7 years ago)

Post #420 Pinball show appearance schedule for Houdini Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #434 Houdini pics from Allentown show Posted by PinballSTAR (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hollywood.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7606 5 years ago

Just got her in...what an amazing game!

65974BB4-76C5-4389-B5A7-F2840159896D (resized).jpeg65974BB4-76C5-4389-B5A7-F2840159896D (resized).jpeg62778E49-1434-47F7-8ED0-6067A64BD75D (resized).jpeg62778E49-1434-47F7-8ED0-6067A64BD75D (resized).jpeg
#7619 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

for those of you who have knockers installed, how often does it knock? I have match play disabled and for replays I have extra ball awards. Is the knocker used outside of that?

Sorry....am new to this machine. I was wondering whether there was a knocker or not. There isn't right? How do I get/install one?
Thanks!

#7622 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

The Knocker is an add on kit from the API store. I am just curious on how useful it is on a home use game?

Super useful! I love scaring the crap out of my kids when it goes off! (maybe they should be playing pinball too rather than Fortnite)!

#7625 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

The Knocker is an add on kit from the API store. I am just curious on how useful it is on a home use game?

Couldn't find it on the API Store?

#7626 5 years ago

Also, trying to download the latest code from the API website. Seems to not be working?? Any ideas why not?

#7631 5 years ago

Thanks everyone.
Code finally downloaded and I will order the shaker motor and knocker kit over the holidays.
Game is definitely a keeper - for the art alone! lol

#7638 5 years ago

My code downloaded....inserted the USB, got a message saying β€œfiles successfully transferred to USB” (or something to that effect). Code didn’t update. Perhaps I will have to try another USB? Any suggestions on type?

#7642 5 years ago

Filesize was 1.5 gig, stick was large enough (8 gig), stick was formatted... but I think it was a 3.0 and the letter I received with Houdini suggested a 2.0.
I’ll figure it out!
AWESOME MACHINE!

#7645 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Congratulations on finishing the upgrade and ditto on the awesomeness of the game. I’ve been collecting for 25 years and love this game. A 37th place ranking is out of whack IMHO.

Have yet to totally figure the update out. And I whole heartedly agree. Once I get another week with the game, I will honestly rate the machine. For me, so far as what I’ve owned and played, it is definitely in my top 10 (and not simply because I have one now).

#7646 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The ranking is from the players that are conditioned to cookie-cutter fan and rehashed over and over Stern layouts. Their muscle memory makes them brick shots on Houdini, and they blame the machine rather than their conditioning. It's a great game, and the less conditioning to cookie-cutter fan layouts you have, the better you do with it. It's a very good pin, and amazing for AP's first.

Couldn’t have said it better myself! Before I purchased I watched a TON of videos and read MANY reviews on this game. The Buffalo Pinball dudes on YouTube were complete idiots on their review and honestly I am not too sure they knew anything about Houdini (I’ll never watch their channel again). STDM with Zach and Greg and their interview with Balcer and Rosh 100% pushed me over the edge to purchase this amazing machine - that is one AWESOME pinball show!
The reviews on pinside hung me up for a little while (people complaining β€œshould have been a widebody”, or β€œgame is too hard”, or β€œthe animations are inferior to its competition”). After one day with this machine I very quickly realized that either people had no idea what they were talking about, or they were just completely wrong.
This game is amazing. From the art, to the playfield, to the toys, to the shots, to the call outs, to the animations (which are perfect imho), this game is a WINNER. Like I said above, I have own(ed) a few pins in my time and this one would honestly be in my top 10...perhaps even knock on the door of my top 3....

#7652 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This is a very common attitude - not sure if it’s more recent or not, but I have seen people who state up front they don’t like the game, play 2 or 3 games and get a great high score, then walk away sayin β€œeh”. I totally don’t get it. I do think it has something to do with the smoothness of the shots - Houdini certainly isn’t a β€œsmooth shooter”, but to me, that lines up with the fan layout thing. Everybody’s entitled to their opinion!

Opinions...yes. However, if you do a review, I would assume it is based on experience and a little bit of knowledge; honest objectivity if you will.

1 week later
#7678 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Here is a link to the Master Magician mode scrolling instructions. At the end, you can also see the status screen as it is supposed to appear while you are playing the mode.

Aaahhhh....thanks for showing me that clip....I know I’ll never get there on my game!! lol

#7683 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Don't forget to VOTE for Houdini as game if the year for the TWIPY Awards!

Forgive my ignorance....what is that and where can I vote?

#7684 5 years ago

Also....#39??? Seriously?
I mean, yes I own one but 39? This game is fantastic! Why not higher? Original, challenging, gorgeous? Too many fan boys out there? I don’t understand? Please help!!

#7688 5 years ago

Stupid question of the day:

On older DMD machines (remakes included), a quick heads up that something was wrong was the ever subtle credit dot.... how do these LCD games let you know if something might need to be checked?

Thanks

#7689 5 years ago

Also...does anyone have the shaker installed in their machine? When is it active? Worth the money? Contemplating buying one as all my other games have the shaker and I don't want Houdini to feel left out! lol

#7693 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Shaker is worth the money. I'd get the upgraded power supply and use the credit you get for buying that to get the shaker motor and knocker/EOS kit for "free."

What is the upgraded power supply (and why)?
How is the shaker free in that regard?

#7698 5 years ago

AP site says power supply is sold out. Maybe they will get them back?

#7719 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

No one has reported a reboot in quite some time. Please pull the logs and send to me. Send me everything that gets put on the USB, not just the logs. [email protected]

Everything?! Make sure it’s not any of those β€œhome movies”!

#7730 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

After installing the power upgrade, mine has never missed one time. It hits squarely in the center of the trunk every time.

I see the power upgrade is back in stock....but mine has never missed yet? I suppose I can wait.....?

1 week later
#7773 5 years ago

Hey guys.
Loving the shit out of my game (can finally break six figures lol).
I was playing last night and I have no idea what I did but the light show was awesome! Play field was dark with minimal lights....it was phenomenal! Can I be so stupid as to ask what mode I was playing?
Sorry such a noob question!

#7779 5 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

I have a Houdini coming in February
How come guys love this game and some hate it ? I’m stoked to get it ?

Good question. Haters will always hate.
Be stoked to get it! It is a killer machine especially for game number 1 from AP.
Just be ready to have a long ball...look up and not see outrageous scores! Lol. I swear my skill shot on AFMLE is a higher score than I get after 3 balls on HOU! (Not really but sure feels like it)!
Love this game.

#7787 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

My only criticism would be that the stage mech should have been set lower to reduce rejects from fast/hard shots.
For the home collection Houdini is the perfect fit, easy to play, hard to master with engaging tricks and stories.
Years of enjoyment for sure.

What if we put some foam in the back of the stage? Think that will help?

I left the second part of your quote in there because I couldn’t agree more. The haters are out to lunch on this game!

#7807 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I just routed a stubby RCA connectors out the backbox vent.

Sorry man, do you have any pics? I used to just route my Polk sub up through the cabinet sub on all my Sterns....where do I go for Houdini?
Thanks in advance!!!

#7810 5 years ago

Sorry man, I haven’t taken off my back glass yet. What is that black box?
I used to only use alligator clips to the lugs of the cabinet sub in my Stern games. Those clips won’t work here?
Thanks for your help!

1 week later
#7912 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

These are one of the few videos I've found, and they definitely stick out. The one's I got from Little Shop don't. Plus the plastics for Houdini, the lane returns, have double layers, so I'm not even sure which one is supposed to be protected.
No one on here has used these....or Cliffy's?

I bought the set form Little Shop because they seemed to have more pieces than the alternatives out there. I have yet to install them or my Cliffy's. Whatever I find out I will post...please do the same. I'm kind of bummed the LSOG protectors don't stick out as you say, should have went others I guess.

#7914 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That is very strange that they are not larger than the actual plastics, as is typical. LSOG knows what they are doing, I wonder what’s up with this?

I haven't confirmed...just taking wesmans word on it. I will be checking this week

#7923 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Yeah, I'd be up for a power supply upgrade video too! Seems simple enough, but I'm worried about incorrect wire placement, and drilling into the baseboard.

Yes Please!!!

#7925 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

I have not done a video before but could at least take pictures next week when I am in hooking up my sub woofer which I started building today.

Pics would help...if you end up posting, can you also post how you hooked up your sub? Thanks man, I would appreciate it!

#7953 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

What is everyone using on there playfields for wax? Ive got a little ball swirls going on and just want to be proactive.

I’ve heard that this is the way to go:

https://www.pinballlife.com/blitz-carnauba-paste-wax-12-ounce-jar.html

#8040 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Received my straightjacket and torture cell mods from Hooked on Pinball today. The jacket is very detailed and the colors have a great period look. It is shiny like leather rather than dull like canvas. The cell has maybe 100 rivets, each one raised and painted. It gleams lime an expensive jewel case, even without lighting. The only thing it lacks is water, but maybe that would cause problems?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I received an email that these were back in stock and you could combine the two for a discount? Is that true?
Also....forgive me but, why is the mod couple water tank mod so much cheaper?? Just asking.

#8041 5 years ago

double post

#8047 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

All mods including Erics amazing brass signs for Houdini Are in stock from our website store. Thanks
www.TheModCouplePinball.com

Sorry to be so inquisitive....is your mod similar to hooked? Your website has very small pictures that are difficult to see

#8093 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Does anyone know how to raise this rail to place this scoop protector?
[quoted image]

I loosened the rail with the wood screws holding it underneath the play field.
I didn’t take them all the way out, just enough to sneak that Cliffy in there

#8144 5 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

I have a question regarding buying a new Houdini it is new in box but not from a distributor it is from someone who took it as a trade.
I’m just wondering how everybody’s experience with American pinball has been in regards to issues warranty etc. etc.
I played the game a few times and I really enjoyed it. I know it is a tight shot game and hope in a home environment I will enjoy it more but what concerns me a little is issues with playfield etc. is that blown way out of portion or realistic and how does the company handle this I’m not sure this game will even have a warranty seeing it is not coming from a distributor even though it is brand new in the box. I was told it was just picked up from the factory so I’m assuming it will.
Thx for any input

Game is simply awesome. Knock on wood, I have had zero issues anywhere with this game. As posted above, the AP guys are more active here than any other manufacturer - to me, that says a lot about the company.
When I did call Barry about getting the updated power supply/credit, he was very professional, prompt and courteous. I would have no problem recommending them, trusting them, or buying a pin from them in the future.

#8190 5 years ago

I used little shop as well. They have 8 pieces in their set, every other place has 6 (that I could tell).

#8198 5 years ago

Hey Wes.
I don’t know Yelobird but I have read every thread in this post.
I never sensed he was implying anything against you. What I read, he was trying to maybe explain what happened to warrant that chip. This forum sometimes is kind of like texting...hard to infer intentions and meanings.
Wes, Very well thought out post though!! I was once in your shoes with my first pin JP. I too dropped it in the cabinet and panicked like crazy - and it was only 2k! Lol.
If there is anything I can ever help you out with, feel free to pm me as well. I am not great like some of these guys, but I have been in this hobby off and on for a while.

#8210 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

So yes, saying that me dropping the playfield may have caused the chip I found...is blaming me for it, but the point of me writing posts earlier was to say I saw evidence of the chip minutes prior to the drop. You went out of your way to reference specific posts I made, to infer that. That's a lot of effort regardless of direct blame or not.

Thanks hollywood! I appreciate you reading over the situation, and expressing your views. Ultimately we only know our own intentions, and I do definitely agree, much gets lost in text.
I really didn't want to discuss the chip publicly, but I felt since I shit my pants publicly months back on here, that adding more details from when I installed the Cliffy scoop protector was pretty relevant. I didn't want to put info out there that seemed like blame in any direction, really just elaborate. If anything, I've been pretty surprised, and impressed, that I haven't had major blunders since that situation.
Do you still have that JP? Did any damage occur from your drop? What did you think of the unboxing video from the other week?
And thanks again for your outreach, I've had a lot of people extend efforts out on this forum, from fans to creators, and it's been quite a fantastic experience!

Hey Wes, I shit my pants too! Lol. The first time you ever raise a playfield it is almost overwhelming...soooo many wires and things I never even knew existed.
Luckily after my JP drop, no significant damage was observed. I recently sold my JP sadly; I wanted to get another interested in the hobby and honestly, what a great first pin for someone to have. I think it was in great condition, not as good as that NIB video (I offered him money to buy it), but great nonetheless.
Either way, if I can be of any help, let me know....as long as you’re not a Steelers fan!!! Those terrible towels have to go!

#8239 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Who makes the best side blades for Houdini?
Wanted to get art rather than mirror on this title but would.like to see some pics of art blades installed to get a better feel. Post them if ya got them.

Love the ones from AP!

#8406 5 years ago

What kind of rum?
Mount Gay is my number one!

3 weeks later
#8597 5 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Is there a mode where all GI lights go out, and playfield lights flicker? I think it was the film mode Man from beyond after I hit the stage enough times and Seance mb.
I am trying to replicate it.

Isn't it super cool?! I love that mode!

1 week later
#8687 5 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Swapped out my cool white LEDs for Comet Sunlight today... looks amazing. I also changed the spots to warm white. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the last remaining cool white LED strip on the backboard. Downloading new code now.

Can you post a picture? Would love to see the results!
Thanks in advance.

1 month later
#8977 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

From Facebook. Your chance to be part of a team that loves what they are doing.
LTG : )[quoted image]

40% off as an employee discount?

8 months later
#9983 4 years ago

Hey guys...very infrequent poster in this thread but own the machine and ABSOLUTELY LOVE it!
Quick question (well 2).

1. I installed the knocker and the upgraded power supply...my knocker doesn't work in game play, nor does it fire in test. I have triple checked my connections and instructions...could I be missing something?

2. When I play a game and I get a rocket shot back to my flippers (because I have thrown up a brick), it will sometimes cause my flipper(s) to "bend back" - sorry for the bad explanation - if I have it in the upright position trying to catch the bad shot. Any idea what this is or how to correct it?

Either way, no knocker and the sporadic mushy flipper(s)...this game may be my all-time favourite!!

9 months later
#11847 3 years ago

Is there a way to test whether your knocker works correctly...assuming it’s installed properly?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hollywood.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread?tu=hollywood and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.