20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #145 Houdini Pinball initial flyer Posted by HighProtein (7 years ago)

Post #184 Initial reveal at TPF Posted by SilverballNut (7 years ago)

Post #190 Introductory Price of Houdini Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #198 Initial Pictures of Machine Posted by lllvjr (7 years ago)

Post #229 Playfield Close-Up Pics Posted by bigd1979 (7 years ago)

Post #284 Machine feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #312 More feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #385 Double switch lane picture Posted by pinballrockstar (7 years ago)

Post #420 Pinball show appearance schedule for Houdini Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #434 Houdini pics from Allentown show Posted by PinballSTAR (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harryreimer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8748 5 years ago

My game wont update, I insert a USB stick and it says copying audits, reboot machine. The pkg is on there. Its a 32GB stick... odd that it wont read it.

#8750 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

You have to make sure usb stick is swiped, empty. Then after download before copying file to usb stick, make sure none of this is there. (1) , rosh just posted above as well.

Thanks I have re-formatted the drive, tried different drives.. its really odd... it says reading drive for a split second that it says copying audits... and never updates.

#8758 5 years ago

A few above have posted to.
I use an 8gb formatted to Fat32.
This latest update is roughly 1.5 gb.
A USB stick less than 8gb will have issues for some reason.

I figured it out and its a WACKY one... When formatting the USB on my mac there is a bug with formatting to FAT32 which mistakingly creates the creation date for the format of December 31st 1969 see image... Its using UNIX EPOCH TIME to format the drive.. and it mistakingly reports that date. Once I formatted the disk on a windows pc... it now reports the correct date on the USB stick and it now finds the update. I guess the creation date confused the pin's os? I posted this here in case someone else has the issue.

Thanks for all your help as always, and KUDOS to JOSH for quick response...

2013-07-16_065304 (resized).jpg2013-07-16_065304 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#8887 5 years ago

Thanks for sharing, I have to go to the museum looks cool.

1 month later
#8971 4 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

I installed the shaker yesterday and, WOW what a difference! I really like the shaker code integration with the pop bumpers and the lower catapult. I also really like the effect tied in with the elephant walking. Very cool!

The shaker motor code is great, its not overdone.

1 month later
#9219 4 years ago

Thanks Gerry, always a gentleman.

2 weeks later
#9305 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Mine was rock solid when I got it. After about 30 plays it was missing short and found out it was related to my AC running all the time lowering my house voltage a bit. I bumped it up from a 26 to a 27 on coil strength and it would miss left. Pretty sad I have to make sure my AC is not running for it to play right but there is no setting between 26 and 27 to find a happy medium.

Do you have the updated power supply? Is the air conditioner on the same circuit as the pinball machine? I use line conditioners on dedicated lines to ensure 120volts

3 months later
#9651 4 years ago

Im on my second curtain decal and its already showing wear... anyone else seeing this?

#9653 4 years ago

I got the curtain separately. Maybe I have 100 games on it since I replaced the curtain. Its just "scuffed" now but it seems like its not going to last long again.

#9655 4 years ago

I put new ones in when I replace decals.

#9659 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Mine looks fine with about 1450 plays on it, I have the spare they included in the goody bad but at this rate it's going to be a long time before I need it, or so it appears anyway. I took this pic with the glass on and a 2X zoom, it looks even better to the naked eye.[quoted image]

It must be the retracting thats doing the most damage.. Thats about how mine looks. I guess Ill order a couple of decals and throw them in the coinbox.

2 months later
#9841 4 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

I got my code updated, my code was so old it needed a file name change. Worked first time. I just opened my Houdini from the box on Thursday.

Congrats... Its truly a great game. Enjoy.

1 week later
#9893 4 years ago

Dont Rush...get it right.. (Former QA Head)

#9896 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

2 years isn't rushing.

I meant in regards to the release of the latest code.. Better to ensure everything works than bricking machines.

2 weeks later
#9955 4 years ago

I installed the Pinnovaters PinPac9 (American Headphone kit) system on my Houdini... it has the external volume controls, subwoofer out and headphone adapter. The subwoofer really improves the sound and I love being able to adjust the volume without opening the door... being able to play with headphones is an added bonus... I recommend it highly if it interests you. https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/collections/all/products/pinpac-9-mac-american-pinball-headphone-kit-1
0862855D-4781-4E74-9671-A22F1487622C (resized).jpeg0862855D-4781-4E74-9671-A22F1487622C (resized).jpeg

3 weeks later
#10040 4 years ago

Josh,

I think thats it. I have never had a problem with my houdini and I have the old power supply. HOWEVER... I have line conditioners on all my machines to endure the voltage is a steady 120volts at all times.. I would be curious if there are low voltage conditions in the homes were this is occuring.

Harry

3 weeks later
#10155 4 years ago

I upgraded to the beta code.. no issues so far. I played six or seven games noticed a some new light shows.... It installed without incident. There is no reason not to, can always go back.

#10201 4 years ago

I played Houdini at Pinball Shows and I thought it was beautiful and feature packed. It wasnt until I had the opportunity to own one that this game truly shines. The build quality is fantastic, its on par with JJP build quality. Its built like a tank. I have not had to fix anything substantial on mine at all... Tweak it here and there, sure.. but its pinball.

There is no question there are tight shots here, but they are findable and rewarding when you do. There have not been many made, more than 500 less then 1000..

#10224 4 years ago

Is the power supply a silver rectangle? or does it look like a fight bell? If it is the rectangle you are golden.

#10237 4 years ago

Precisely why I don’t care about someone else’s opinion of a game.. play and buy what you love. Look how wrong Kaneda was on JJP POC lol

#10295 4 years ago

That gold moulding POPS.

#10297 4 years ago

Can you send me the link?

#10299 4 years ago

Ordered.. Ill try it out. Thanks!

#10306 4 years ago
Quoted from megaladon:

Thanks buddy I appreciate the advice. I know this subject has been pounded to death (No pun intended lol) But I was just concerned about the one I could feel with my finger. I guess I’ll keep getting my butt kicked by Houdini but playing it more and more I get to learn the shots like most people say people don’t give this game the credit it deserves.

It wont affect game play... It will smooth out over time. Nothing you can really do about it anyway

2 months later
#10682 3 years ago

Great Collection.

2 months later
#11427 3 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Our sculpted mod is available and interactive via AP code.
https://www.hookedonpinball.com/store/c28/Houdini-Pinball-Mods

Sold out!

3 weeks later
#11548 3 years ago

I finally upgraded to the new power supply, couple of questions. Im assuming that the black and brown wire went to the black wal-nut... just wanted to make sure, I couldnt agree more that the wal-nuts on paper is a great idea for an easy install, but it was a pain in the ass to get the wires to stay in securely. Not sure why its not better to just wirenut the cables together instead of the wal-nut. Im sure Ill be changing them in the future because It will annoy me.

That said, the new power supply is loud... I guess with the fan its something we have to deal with.

Now for the good. Both catapults are almost 100 percent now. And I dont know if its a placebo or not, but the flippers definitely have a more "williams" feel now much snappier. I did order the cap kit to upgrade the flippers so may see an improvement over the power supply as well.

Overall, the hardest thing about the install was getting at the power supply to do the install... it was a lot easier than upgrading the GI on MMR.. lol.

#11549 3 years ago

A friend of mine got a knocker kit from American which was wired incorrectly, it caused all sort of problems and damage. I have been delaying putting my knocker in to my Houdini because of it. Is there anyway to tell if this is correctly wired? This is all the kit came with. I think a connector is missing.
Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 8.32.15 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-10-02 at 8.32.15 AM (resized).png

#11553 3 years ago

Thanks guys, clearly something is wrong.

#11555 3 years ago

My coil has no diode..

#11558 3 years ago

Spoke with Dave at American he confirms it needs the diode.

#11564 3 years ago

I installed the coil performance kit last night. It was fairly easy to install, there is very little slack in the cable you take off J5 I made it work but barely.. Game seems to be more stable I had 6 balls flying around and the catapult still hit the trunk! that blew me away... Glad I installed it, the kit definitely is worth it.

1 week later
#11583 3 years ago

Im glad you like it, its a favorite of mine....

#11595 3 years ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

Hey, for those of you having a hard time making that trunk shot, here is a quick video I shot on how I can easily make this shot almost every time. Very short basic video, but it may help some of you make that shot. I find shooting from the right flipper way easier than the left. Ill also do a video on my trunk modifications that made the trunk much more reliable. In fact it hasnt missed a shot yet, and im on the original power supply.

I have line conditioners on my pins, I thought the original power supply was ok too. When I upgraded a few weeks ago finally to the new power supply and the coil performance kit... its a much more constant experience regardless of how many coils are firing and how many pins are on. I recommend it highly wish I did it sooner. Oh, and dont use those wal-nuts.. get the lever nuts much safer.

#11603 3 years ago

Email American Pinball with the part number.

1 month later
#11823 3 years ago

Was curious as to the latest code... any updates?

#11863 3 years ago

I have never seen a sleeve chewed like that.

3 weeks later
#12039 3 years ago
Quoted from MrFancy:

Just “drooped” my flippers and... wow. Wow. Tripled my previous high score within a few games. Suddenly all those tight shots are actually makeable on the fly, you don’t have to trap up every single time. And I also love that it makes it so that you can’t easily post pass from one flipper to the other, so you either have to pick something to shoot at with the right flipper, or try a risky (for me anyway) tap pass. Completely changes the game, I can’t believe it wasn’t designed to be played this way. Wow.

How much did you drop them by?

#12098 3 years ago

I installed the latest code last night, installed without an issue... Looking forward to getting more time in to see what is new..

#12100 3 years ago

Its in the new code. At least I noticed it last night.

#12164 3 years ago

Thanks for the release Josh, made a great game better.

1 month later
#12384 3 years ago

There is a stage test in the diagnostics.. try that.

1 month later
#12543 3 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

So I have build date of Mar 2018 and I assume this doesn't have the upgraded power supply?
What was the other upgrade kit besides the psu?[quoted image]

You do not have the updated power supply. I believe they still offer the store credit. I recommend highly getting the power supply, shaker motor, upgrade kit for the coils. Game gets much more reliable after that while you are at it, get the EOS switches.

#12555 3 years ago

I had a few collapses. not too often. But the EOS install takes 15 minutes and it will never collapse.. what is the downside to installing it?

1 week later
#12582 3 years ago

Check the connections in the power supply.... those wago wall nuts stink.

#12588 2 years ago

You want to use these, I have not had a problem since. Wago Lever Nuts

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 11.03.22 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-04-27 at 11.03.22 AM (resized).png
3 months later
#12928 2 years ago

I would change that Wal-nut connector they are the worst.. You have to push the wires in there.. Install Wago Lever Nuts..Even if it doesn't solve your problem... it will prevent a problem in the future. Mine came completely out of that lousy wal-nut. Wont solve your 5V but may save future issues.
938a85ac8eb9534e83d6fe12e28d861902336fc2 (resized).jpeg938a85ac8eb9534e83d6fe12e28d861902336fc2 (resized).jpegScreen Shot 2021-08-11 at 1.54.35 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-08-11 at 1.54.35 PM (resized).png

3 weeks later
#13041 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Quick heads up, on Thursday night I'll be with Jack Danger and others, streaming Houdini beta code, showing off a new feature.

Josh,

Thank you so much for continuing to support this game, it really is fantastic what you are doing.

2 weeks later
#13121 2 years ago

Pinballstar has them in stock, Joe Newhart is a stand up guy.. Highly Recommended

2 weeks later
#13173 2 years ago

Its a great game to have at home, it kicks your ass... which is great in a home environment.. A game thats too easy at home gets old fast.

3 weeks later
#13255 2 years ago

How do you start coop?

2 months later
#13570 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Haven’t had a chance to solder… but I’m close!

YOU DID IT... Awesome.

1 week later
#13593 2 years ago

So it Happened yesterday the connection to the P3-roc failed... Pull it all apart and I was not getting 5 volts off the power supply and the caps were bulging. Luckily I had the right size caps, put them in and I was back in business. My question is, is this going to be a continual problem? Do they sell an upgraded 5 volt power supply? Or do I just stock the caps for when it happens again? I have the other power supply for 48 volts already.. Is there any downside to using solid state capacitors?

IMG_5537 (resized).jpgIMG_5537 (resized).jpgIMG_5541 (resized).jpgIMG_5541 (resized).jpg

#13596 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Is this the first time you've had to replace those? Solid or polymer aluminum electrolytic caps would almost certainly last long if you could get them in the proper size / package / ratings but I don't think I've ever had to replace standard "wet" electrolytic caps more than once in any product I've ever owned.

Yes its the first time. I tend to bring an elephant gun to a knife fight....

#13597 2 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Houdini - Antek 5/12v Power Supply

Thanks Dave, your videos are a great help..

3 weeks later
#13680 2 years ago

Finally, after 3 months I have another batch of Houdini Planchette's available.
Thank you to the wait list, and all have been messaged.
[quoted image]

These are a MUST have.

2 months later
#13805 2 years ago

Tmolding sold out..

Added 23 months ago:

I guess you guys bought all of it.

#13831 2 years ago

I love the shooter rod.. need that.

#13840 1 year ago

Got the molding, thanks guys... love it.

IMG_6187 (resized).jpgIMG_6187 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#13860 1 year ago

I hope for Josh that he is onward and upward to a better position.

That said, I doubt we will see any new code for Houdini now... He left it in pretty good shape.

Thanks for everything Josh.

#13866 1 year ago

Thank you beatmaster love the shooter rod!!!

DDA547B3-735B-4B88-9483-389B887F7005 (resized).jpegDDA547B3-735B-4B88-9483-389B887F7005 (resized).jpeg
#13869 1 year ago

PM Beatmaster...

3 weeks later
2 months later
#14150 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

This sucks. Wtf?
[quoted image]

This is an easy fix. The caps on the toroid power supply are done. You can solder new caps on or buy the whole part on ebay. Its a known issue.. you can buy the part on ebay below is a link.

ebay.com link: itm

The part takes like 10 minutes to replace. Dave Brennan posted a video on how to swap..

Im confident it will fix it. You can look at the power supply and see if the caps are swelling.. Make sure you have the toroid power supply.

1 month later
#14269 1 year ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

hi guys,
i rarely have the chance to do this.
i have 5 extra steampunk shooter rod ready to go.
i started a list a while ago, left open and couldn't save it.
so if i forgot someone please let me know.
just shoot me a pm.
thanks everyone, bob.[quoted image][quoted image]

A must have.

2 months later
5 months later
#14661 10 months ago

What is the best email to order parts? I sent two emails and received no response... Dave Brennan is gone? Who is the best contact?

#14666 10 months ago
Quoted from Ferret:

It may be easier to order parts from the online store instead of via email -- here's the link to the Houdini parts store:
https://store.american-pinball.com/collections/houdini?p=1
If you're still having issues and need email support, try [email protected]

The part wasnt available online and no one responds to me at [email protected]

1 month later
#14721 8 months ago

Planchette Bump.
Available in my Pinside store.
Click Mod Magic next to my avatar.
Thanks.
Eric
[quoted image][quoted image]

One of the must have mods for Houdini

1 week later
#14733 8 months ago
Quoted from PinNerd:

Yes, IF the game is from an earlier run and needs upgrades, the EOS switches are cheap and easy to install. The power supply upgrade requires a little more effort to install, but it’s not too difficult—depending on your skill set. IF the game needs a power supply upgrade then it probably also needs the coil capacitor. That is also easy to install.
I had an early game and it played mostly fine without the upgrades. Others had issues. Play the game and see how it goes. I eventually did the upgrades and it was rock solid. I sold it because we moved. I miss it, fun game.

Pinnerd is 100 percent correct.

3 months later
#14792 5 months ago

Josh is 100 percent correct..

This is the part you need..

ebay.com link: itm

You can also change the caps if you have the ability...the caps are bad.

4 months later
#14804 30 days ago

I have been to his grave...

25473EDA-8D23-40A8-BB3B-C47DDD9BC6BD (resized).JPG25473EDA-8D23-40A8-BB3B-C47DDD9BC6BD (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harryreimer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread?tu=harryreimer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.