20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #145 Houdini Pinball initial flyer Posted by HighProtein (7 years ago)

Post #184 Initial reveal at TPF Posted by SilverballNut (7 years ago)

Post #190 Introductory Price of Houdini Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #198 Initial Pictures of Machine Posted by lllvjr (7 years ago)

Post #229 Playfield Close-Up Pics Posted by bigd1979 (7 years ago)

Post #284 Machine feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #312 More feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #385 Double switch lane picture Posted by pinballrockstar (7 years ago)

Post #420 Pinball show appearance schedule for Houdini Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #434 Houdini pics from Allentown show Posted by PinballSTAR (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ferret.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5741 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

being locked away working on game 2

Rosh! It's been two hours since you've checked in code for game 2! Get back to work!

1 month later
#6690 5 years ago

I’m Joe Schober. No, I’m totally focused on Oktoberfest, not doing any Houdini work.

1 month later
#7361 5 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Well think of it this way... how could this game be used for any tournament given this limitation?

Why not? Total Nuclear Annihilation has a similar rule (game ends after destroying reactor 9); like Houdini, that has also been used in a lot of tournaments.

In practice, it's pretty unlikely to come up... these are achievements that will rarely be reached by even strong players. But if they are... then yes, best score wins, as usual.

1 month later
#7659 5 years ago

Read Barry’s post #7653 just a few messages up on this page.

2 months later
2 months later
#8981 4 years ago

Just speaking for myself: nope. Love pinball as much as ever. But I admit the other machines in my collection don’t get nearly the play they should, it’s always Oktoberfest getting “tested”. Same effect when I was working on Alien.

#8986 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

But I would assume that there are worse ways to earn a living than coding new features and testing them out, correct? I would love to do that for a living. I wrote new code for my KISS Pro and it was a blast to implement my own rules, light shows, animations and sound effects!

It's a total blast! I have plenty of local job opportunities -- and frankly, pretty much all of them pay considerably better -- but when you're a lifelong pinball fan, growing up playing with Pinball Construction Set on the Apple II... yeah, this is pretty damn cool.

#8988 4 years ago

Half the fun of the job is laughing at @rosh's witticisms.

2 weeks later
#9127 4 years ago

Actually, they did recover his body, unfortunately.

3 weeks later
#9252 4 years ago

If you need assistance, try contacting Barry at API Customer Support: call or text (224) 422-3191‬.

3 weeks later
#9389 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Thinking about Josh’s post where he said he can only work on the game during his free time.. does that mean AP is done supporting it?

Josh is supporting the game, and he's part of AP, you know?

Really, it means exactly the opposite of what you're suggesting. It means you're dealing with a company that is admittedly smaller than Stern or JJP, so yeah, when there's another game in the pipeline it demands time from employees... but it also means those employees are giving everything they can to keep improving the products in the field, even if it means the work day extends past 8 hours. But sometimes it's nice to go home and have dinner with the family before starting the evening shift.

Oktoberfest is the same way. Josh and I will keep refining it until we're satisfied with it. Definitely a "yeah, it's a job, but it's also a passion" situation. And I'm quite sure it'll be the same for Game #3 and beyond.

2 months later
#9590 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Ferret: Are you allowed to tinker with the Houdini code or is that Rosh's baby?

I suppose I’m “allowed”, but it wouldn’t make much sense... I’ve never touched it, so the vision and code is all Josh.

3 weeks later
#9629 4 years ago

A little blurb from the slide deck from the American Pinball seminar at Pinball Expo two weeks ago:

Houdini - Code update in progress - Beta testing later this year

7 months later
#10580 3 years ago

Sorry, folks, I wouldn’t hold my breath for the fast boot to come to Houdini or Oktoberfest. We completely rewrote the American Pinball A/V system, and Hot Wheels is the first game to use that... unfortunately it’s not just a drop-in replacement for the old A/V, so the previous games would more or less have to be rewritten from scratch to use it.

2 weeks later
#10725 3 years ago

Folks, please rest assured that American Pinball is committed to making all of our customers happy. Not gonna lie, rosh and I have been intently focused on Hot Wheels for the past few months, but we appreciate the bug reports on the active Houdini (and Oktoberfest!) betas, and will have new code updates coming soon!

4 weeks later
#10923 3 years ago

I'm just hoping that TPF 2021 will happen.

4 months later
3 weeks later
#11927 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

WHOA MAJOR CRAZINESS!!! This is too awesome !! I can't wait for the "King of Cars" mode!!

It's the Houdini / Hot Wheels crossover feature.

3 months later
#12532 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Is this just my typical computer ineptitude, or is there an Apple thing?

American Pinball software updates use the file extension .pkg, which is, unfortunately, the same extension that Macs use for installation packages for Mac software... so your computer may be trying to open/install this file itself after downloading it, which won't work.

Your browser may have a preference to auto-open files after downloading... for example, if you use Safari, go to Safari > Preferences on the menu bar, then click the General tab and turn off the "Open 'safe' files after downloading" option, and see if that helps things.

Additionally or alternatively, the downloaded update package should be left in your Downloads folder or, worst case, in the Trash, even if the Mac complains that it doesn't want to install the package.

Hope this helps!

#12564 3 years ago

Jerickso77 : I agree with the illustrious LTG .

Go into the service mode, Tests > Switch, and thump the playfield gently with the side of your fist to vibrate the playfield a little bit, and observe if any of the Seance switches pop up on screen as activating. If so, check that physical switch... you'll probably find that the two blades are a tad too close to each other. Gently bend the blades a tiny bit to separate them... this is a little finicky, since you want them close enough so a modest ball strike triggers the switch, but not so close that they trigger from random game action. Takes a little getting used to, perhaps a little trial and error, but I'm sure you'll get the hang of it quickly.

Let us know how it goes!

2 weeks later
2 months later
#12911 2 years ago

wiredoug - don't know about Facebook, but the American Pinball team is pretty active here on Pinside. You can also fill out a service request ticket here:

https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/

...or e-mail: [email protected]

#12914 2 years ago

You can jump from any version directly to the latest... all update packages are "full", not "delta".

#12916 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

rosh - Josh Kugler, ferret - Joe Schober, vegas98 - Michael Grant who is sales and marketing.

Thanks, LTG!

And of course, a very important member of the team: brenna98 - Dave Brennan, API Customer Service Manager.

3 weeks later
#13007 2 years ago
Quoted from chewiec:

Also, I have a random pulsing coil on the bottom right pop bumper. It goes away when the game starts but fires in 2 second intervals when in attract mode.

I might be misremembering things, but could this be caused by missing termination on the driver bus?

1 week later
#13049 2 years ago

Thanks for the love! At American Pinball, we work hard to provide great value in our games, long after you've purchased them.

6 months later
#13733 2 years ago
Quoted from scbill88:

My Machine is at a 14degree angle, is that to steep?

WAY too steep. In fact, I'd check your inclinometer because it might be messed up. Houdini wants to be at a 6 degree slope by default. Most modern pinball machines want a slope of 6-7 degrees. 14 would be unplayable.

10 months later
#14444 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

How do you upgrade the code? I put the newest code on a usb and it says copying for a brief second, then it just has a message that the update succeeded (even though it didn't).

Congrats on your new game!

Not having the update "take" is usually a problem with the filename. Since you're coming from a very old build (that maybe has original software?), make sure the name of the update package on the USB stick is "houdini-gamecode.pkg" -- with no date or "(1)" or other such oddities in the name.

If you're still having problems, refer to this document to verify that your USB stick is formatted the way the game expects:

http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2021-2/USB-drive-formatting-procedure.pdf

Hope this helps!

#14446 1 year ago

Settings > Replay (looks like a starburst) > Replay Levels -- keep it less than 4, and you should be OK.

#14450 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

That was it! The version I downloaded from API had the version appended to the file name. Renaming it to houdini-gamecode.pkg worked great. Thank you!

Great, glad I could help!

FYI, that was just an anomaly when upgrading from very early software. You shouldn't have the same problem again if/when we release any future code updates.

#14466 1 year ago

Replay Boost is a feature that ratchets up the replay score by the specified amount when a replay was achieved on the previous game. The intention is that if the replay score was set way too low, this helps protect against giving a nearly infinite stream of replays. (Particularly important in commercial operation trying to earn coin drop.)

Correct, the level 4 replay will not be awarded when Replay Levels is set to 3. The attract mode screen provides the correct info.

Replay Percentage is usually an alternate method of automatically adjusting replay values -- for example, a 10% replay percentage would mean that the game would try to dynamically adjust the replay score to award a replay about 10% of the time, based on a rolling average of recent game scores. This would usually be enabled by setting Replay Type to "Auto", but apparently that's disabled in Houdini... not sure why.

Applying the Replay Boost when Replay Type is set to Fixed appears to be a bug. You should be able to largely mitigate this by setting Replay Boost to the lowest possible value.

Hope this helps.

3 months later
#14644 11 months ago

Hi folks -- if you need help with your machine, your best bet is to submit a service request ticket here: <https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/>. That gives you a ticket number that can be used to track your issue.

If any of you have a ticket that has gone unanswered for more than a couple business days, feel free to ping me directly with the ticket number and a quick description of the problem, and I'll try to poke the bears on your behalf.

Sorry for any inconvenience!

1 week later
#14662 10 months ago

It may be easier to order parts from the online store instead of via email -- here's the link to the Houdini parts store:

https://store.american-pinball.com/collections/houdini?p=1

If you're still having issues and need email support, try [email protected]

5 months later
#14775 5 months ago

Suggest getting ahead of the curve and filing a service request ticket here <https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/>.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ferret.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread?tu=ferret and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.