20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #145 Houdini Pinball initial flyer Posted by HighProtein (7 years ago)

Post #184 Initial reveal at TPF Posted by SilverballNut (7 years ago)

Post #190 Introductory Price of Houdini Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #198 Initial Pictures of Machine Posted by lllvjr (7 years ago)

Post #229 Playfield Close-Up Pics Posted by bigd1979 (7 years ago)

Post #284 Machine feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #312 More feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #385 Double switch lane picture Posted by pinballrockstar (7 years ago)

Post #420 Pinball show appearance schedule for Houdini Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #434 Houdini pics from Allentown show Posted by PinballSTAR (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ds_nadine.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#656 6 years ago

I want to state again that I'm totally in on this game and altough I'm also in on TNA and Star Wars (last one allready ordered) I really dig Houdinis overall 'package' the greatest. (I like the art, the playfield layout & toys, the steampunk art composition - altough hand drawn would be better - , the sound - about everything.)

Only thing I'm still waiting for is a suggested retail price for europe -> germany.
(And that's the reason I got a Star Wars for the moment; I'm sure I'll have to whit for still quite a while for that to happen, whereas I allready have a date & a price for my SW.)

But I'll be there when you are (and exchange rates won't kill me)!

#660 6 years ago
Quoted from Superchicken:

OK. Picky feedback. The curtain movement is unnatural. It needs to move from to top. This is a big part of the animation.

"Unnatural" is that it doesn't 'wave' or 'swing', but if it's opening sideways or up depends on the theatre (most have both). XD

#664 6 years ago

I have a question rosh!

I've just seen the panel with Joe Balcer and noticed in the early skethces that there's a magnet area marked at Houdinis hands on the playfield.

Is that in the game? - That'd be awesome but didn't see it yet in the gameplay video snippets.

#666 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There are magnets by the hands and his head that move the ball in SEANCE mode, if that's what you're asking.

Yes, that was what I wanted to know, thanks.

Game continuously gets more awesome!

#673 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You need to full-screen it to see well, but the SEANCE mode magnet action is shown a bit here:
» YouTube video
Closeup of that mode:
» YouTube video
And the cool 3/4 PF length basket shot is shown here:
» YouTube video
Closeup of that shot:
» YouTube video

Thx.

3 weeks later
#689 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinbally_1968:

Who will be the distributor in Europe?

Is there an european distributor for any pinball machine/ company?

As far as I know RS Pinball from Austria got in touch with them,... but then again: Austria
(For our US-Friends: Austria != Australia)

#692 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Everybody knows that you are just proud Arnold Schwarzenegger comes from your motherland Australia. I hear Austria is nice too mate.

I'm from neither. XD

1 month later
#747 6 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

So you had to dump the catapult huh? Oh well.

Cab is now Cardboard.

1 month later
#863 6 years ago

More, we want to see MORE!!!

#896 6 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

How does an LED molding integrate with a Steampunk theme? Consider it something you can add to your mod portfolio...

Since they can't use lead, wich would be appropriate, they just take led as the next best thing.

#936 6 years ago

Seminar stream today?

#951 6 years ago
Quoted from Aquapin:

Weight of game 275

275 cookies, kilograms, vagina?

#971 6 years ago

While this may not be the most proper place to brag about this...

...isn't the expo coverage in genaral serverly lacking?

Pinballnews wrote what they could but other then a a walk trough the floor and 2 1/2 YT-Vids of POTC there's about nothing to find.

No Houdini, no Thunderbirds, nothing...

I want to watch the American Pinball Seminar (and most of the others as well).

Meh!

#974 6 years ago

Seriously I'm really, really looking forward to Houdini, hoping it will be a success for you guys!

This Expo may be all about JJP but (as stated elsewhere) they're not in the same league (wich goes two ways). That is a good thing for variety but I don't see the POTC pricetag anywhere feasible for 'real' location gaming. (Honestly I don't know of any non-pinball location having anything else then stern around here.)

Looking at Houdini I see a game wich isn't tied to one main toy (Tie Fighter on a Spring, Toy Box, Slimer on a fishing rod) that ensures the most competitive pricing possible, but on the other hand not going all overboard (and tehrefore expensive and hard to earn it's own revenue on location) as well.
Houdini has a stringent look, 'molded' decoration and more then one toy and is STILL competitively priced. The gap between a Stern Pro and Houdini is not that wide and since the gap of Sterns Pro to Premium in terms of extra features vs. money seems to get wider as well, Houdini seems a very good deal all around.
(That doesn't mean there aren't things I'd like better another way, like Sterns backbox layout. Not only the strange shape but Houdini -the character- is lacking a "Face" on the Backglass,... wich is hardly doable given the position & size of the display. People like to see "people"... about every movie poster has them.)

Long things short:
I hope you get a foot on the ground not only by home-buyers but on location as well and am thankful for some 'middleground' between the other two (where my wallet still can compete).

#1024 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

One thing I haven't seen answered is which of the insert (or GI) LEDs are RGB?

Answered in the product Flyer. See AP's Facebook page!

#1029 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Ambiguous.
All inserts are RGB, or just some? If some, which?
Also, since it hasn't been posted here:

Hmmm,... you're right. In my head I matched that up with "all LED lighting", but I still think it's all inserts.

#1030 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Let's not forget others, though. Balcer, quickly turned an absolute stinker of a JPop design into something workable, and has since refined it into something that now looks like it can compete with JJP, let alone Stern, and many no doubt nameless individuals helped him do it.

That said I still like the otiginal art better... but this has way more steampunk vibe to it so I guess I like both.

In the revised playfield Houdini looks a bit more 'drawn' an less photoshoppy, pops out more due to the lighting/ contoures in in Face & Hands so I that's becoming really nice.

Not a Fan of the colored photoshopped-shadowed/contoured insert outlines but I won't give a F*** as soon as I'd be playing it instead of starring at the new screenshots.

#1056 6 years ago

Rosh, one serious question.

Are there, some security measures programmed in for when the servos on the stage 'block' so they wont get power the whole time and eventually blow up? (Would'nt ask if that wouldn't have happend elsewhere. )

#1086 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I think rosh mentioned this earlier, that one of the show games had been dropped and repaired onsite, so it wasn't quite set up perfectly - that may have been the game you were on. He says they have a 90% (!) success rate of swish shots , which is remarkable. That said, it's a good point - it would be a shame to have to replace that chest If it gets damaged, but hey it's only pinball!

I think it's great.

2 weeks later
#1236 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Also all the more reason for you to try to get a couple of machines to DPO Expo in 10 days time. You occupy a gap in the market here, and it's the biggest show of the year in Europe.

Yeah! If you bring the game I'm coming over!

#1239 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

We certainly hope to do more than 1000. We had planned to get a game to DPO, but due to some vendors missing commitment dates, does not look like it is going to happen. I'm not happy about it, but, was somewhat out of our control.

Put an existing one in a suitcase and fly over.

You can stay at my place and I'll drive you and the game over.

(Ok, maybe your legs would fall of after a 2 hour drive in a Wagon R with a pinball machine in the back but it fits.)

#1241 6 years ago

It's seriously sad that you can't make it.

Since now first retailers list the Euro price on Houdine it's getting even more attractive with being exactly the same as a Stern Pro machine.

Edit: Writing BS here. It's 1000€ more then a Pro but still 1500€ less then a Premium.

Can't wait to see it for real.

#1243 6 years ago

Whatever happened to the seminar video of American Pinball? Still coming?

#1267 6 years ago

Of course you take a loss, at least when you sell something that you can buy new.

I bought a SW Pro, and put it on for sale after one week. Lost about 400€.

2 weeks later
#1344 6 years ago
Quoted from leonml:

I wish they would cut out the middle man and direct ship or allow pick up and save me, what? $1000 . Just build and test thoroughly before hand. Just pay 3rd party pinball techs to provide service, or tech support for people with skills to do it themselves.

You can pick up and save yourself 6999$. Thats called theft.

#1352 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I'm hoping that this Houdini media blackout means that the production line is rolling and Josh is too busy getting the final software build ready to load on the first machines off the assembly line.

More "about to" roll, with still some hickups I'd assume but nontheless loads of work.

I have faith. I can wait. (And I have to, since my TNA will hit soon and I'm broke for the time beeing after that.)

#1373 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

TNA and Houdini? Man you've got good taste.

Lol. - Sad thing is I seriously doubt I'll be able to afford both... at the same time.

#1469 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

currently at the end it is the closed curtain with a spotlight and the word 'fin', so I have been contemplating things to do in front of the curtain, including the type of thing you are suggesting.

So let the spotlight search for a numer before you write "fin".

#1537 6 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Anyone else not a fan of the lady's voice in the game?

Nah, you're alone.

1 week later
#1597 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Sticking with unlicensed themes, for now, lets us not have to worry about approvals, so it gives us the latitude to take creative risks, as well as not having something else outside our control potentially impact timelines.

But on the other hand it can't possibly be a 'home run' based on the license alone, so you have to work even harder to make a great game and take more risk sales projectionwise. - At least that's what I suspect, wich is why I wish you best of luck!

2 weeks later
#1718 6 years ago

Congrats from my side too!

I'm hopefull it'll make it to europe soon.

1 week later
#1769 6 years ago

Oh, American Pinball has it's own category on Pinside now! Gz!

1 week later
#1780 6 years ago

It's got so silent...

...Calm before the storm?

1 week later
#1888 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

In the factory photos , what is the difference between a HOU1234 and a HOU1234D

The "D".

8 months later
#6221 5 years ago

Finally was able to play Houdini today. Drove about 7 hours today to do so (well Houdini and other new stuff they had there).

First off, I'm astonished how different people can view one and the same thing.

Playfield looks incredibly rich, meaning it is full and kinda looks like jewelery-ish... with it's gold tones reflecting everywhere. If Houdinis Playfield was a clock, I would wear it, it's so sparkling. I had (and have) an issue with the used Photoshop effects and partial Clipartyness, but that is about non existant in person. Houdini was Set up next to a Star Trek and Game of Thrones, and compared to that games it looks like pure gold.
Only thing looking cheap (plastic) was that chain hanging on the right ramp,... and *cough* the LCD animations at times.
(Personally I'd prefer good stills over mediocre animation. Magic Girl did that if I remember correctly.)

Next up was playing it of course an altough I'm not a good player I didn't have any problems with bricked shots.
It played perfectly well, so I put some games on it.

Did like the idea for the card trick video mode, didn't like the contextless 'first shoot here then here' type of missions.

Lighting is kinda awesome, like when you hit the stage all the GI turns off, except the one sourrounding the stage.
(Adds to that world under glass feel.)

One big bummer:
Catapult shot was not working. Ball was shot a bit diagonally and hit the left cabinet wall, ricocheting one time in the trunk by accident.
Trunk not fully closing as well, the lid kinda set loosely on the assembly.

So my first impressions compressed is that I absolutely like what I'm seeing but am not 100% sold yet.
Have to play it again with all mechs working and with sound (didn't really hear a thing, wich is sad because I like the sound package).
But seeing it I'm really happy with that spot that AP is setting themselfes in, between Stern and JJP, with a game that is rich but not overly convoluted and expensive. Compared to what's in there Houdini feels like a bargain.

#6284 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I never really understood why it wasn't warm white from the beginning. Houdini's era is one of warm incandescent or gas lighting.
The area at the back of the pf looks rather harsh IMO in cool white. Particularly the reflections in the ramp plastic.

I think the cold white with the gold colored sideblades, locks, Pop Caps and stuff are a very pretty contrast.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ds_nadine.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread?tu=ds_nadine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.