New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 183206)

American Pinball Houdini thread

By lllvjr

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11,741 posts - Hot topic!
  • 631 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by zahner
  • Topic is favorited by 161 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,541 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

4E73C318-2BE2-4A27-B62A-D04C56A1BCC1 (resized).jpeg
4798D04D-98E0-46B0-ACFC-328381106765 (resized).jpeg
AFE31B92-5653-44E1-B4DF-32A1511AD81F (resized).jpeg
0C31DB62-FCE5-4429-AEA1-6142DCE9325E (resized).jpeg
3072E1B4-E767-454E-8B52-C2B26EA5ED22 (resized).jpeg
78C86DFC-C642-4CD5-9FFE-43D05E392D78 (resized).jpeg
B9DAF8C0-22E7-476F-B8EE-3F8341281418 (resized).jpeg
5938E1CB-BC59-4F62-A5A1-D410A57B94EB (resized).jpeg
Black-Friday-02 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201111_003924207.jpg
PXL_20201111_003924207.jpg
20201110_111732 (resized).jpg
16845213-10CF-4AFE-A07B-2F52142158FB (resized).jpeg
20201023_131614 (resized).jpg
20201031_134451 (resized).jpg
3C4F6350-CE79-4AFF-9579-2B1FA0208605 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #145 Houdini Pinball initial flyer Posted by HighProtein (3 years ago)

Post #184 Initial reveal at TPF Posted by SilverballNut (3 years ago)

Post #190 Introductory Price of Houdini Posted by 1iblind (3 years ago)

Post #198 Initial Pictures of Machine Posted by lllvjr (3 years ago)

Post #229 Playfield Close-Up Pics Posted by bigd1979 (3 years ago)

Post #284 Machine feature details Posted by rosh (3 years ago)

Post #312 More feature details Posted by rosh (3 years ago)

Post #385 Double switch lane picture Posted by pinballrockstar (3 years ago)

Post #420 Pinball show appearance schedule for Houdini Posted by rosh (3 years ago)

Post #434 Houdini pics from Allentown show Posted by PinballSTAR (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drummermike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#542 3 years ago

Totally agree with kvan99. Can't wait to get mine!

1 month later
#681 3 years ago

Python pin would be great. Big foot stomping the ball!

2 months later
#766 3 years ago

Totally agree on the rusty chains. Glad they are using the wire form ramp not the plastic. I have the spot ready for my soon to be first NIB pin!

1 month later
#855 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Don't all pops make this sound?

DE SW is different sound. I have not heard the "klak" sound on any other pins that I can remember. It does seem to fit the SW pin though.

2 weeks later
#973 3 years ago
Quoted from pbwizard14:

So there will be options available to purchase. I'm interested in non-reflective glass, but not a shaker motor. I am on the list for one of these games already. Really like the theme and art work on the machine. It reminds me of a Williams/Bally game and that is the type of game I have been waiting for since they closed their doors.

I agree with all this but I do want the shaker! Can't wait to add this pin.

#1121 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I played JJPs and I played this at expo. I couldn't tell you much about any of the animations on either one, as I can't look at the screen when i'm playing, and I was watching the field when others were playing more than the display.

I agree. The playfield action is more important. I will glance up now and then but watching the ball is needed more. I am getting this pin because it is similar to the pins in my collection. I like the JJP to play but will not buy one. I don't care for the huge new screens.

4 months later
#2344 2 years ago

I ordered mine in May and was told today it may be here in a week or so!

1 week later
#2432 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

adamross, you have both TNA AND Houdini. Nice job man and great taste.

Don't forget that nice LOTR!

#2504 2 years ago

Number 92 is now home! This is my first NIB. Was worth the long wait. The pin is one of the best looking I have seen if not the best. I have made all the shots so far. The hardest is the milk can shot close to the left sling.

The minor problems are the same as others. Scoop needs adjustment. Still trying to get it right. The ball sat in the upper catapult and never came out. The wrench did not fit the bolts. Used a Craftsman hex.

But other than that, the game is great. It looks fantastic and plays great. The playfield is smoother than the new one I just put in my FH. This pin is going to be my favorite soon. I hope everyone gets theirs soon!

20180319_181434_resized (resized).jpg

20180319_220318_resized_1 (resized).jpg

#2548 2 years ago

I want to send out THANKS to Joe, Jerry, Jim, Barry and Josh! Great service from all. My Houdini is now working like a champ.

#2578 2 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

My I ask what the issues were?

Like Josh said, one opto came out after I had lifted the playfield. It caused some ball searching and red lights going on all over the field. Once I put the opto back in and secured it with metal tape the issue was gone. I had called AP and Barry and Josh helped immediately. While we were talking I noticed the hanging opto. Also I have the scoop at 8 at the moment. Seven was working for a while but a few times the ball tried 3 or 4 times to get out. I had pulled the deflector up slightly. Plus, both of the catapults have never missed.
I have been playing many games and all is working smoothly! The pin is very impressive. It is amazing how much is packed in and it all works. I am happy I did not get another cookie cutter pin.

#2678 2 years ago

When playing single player I have noticed a few things. Sometimes the last e in séance is lit and points are given before the ball is plunged. Also the flippers being pressed will sometimes start adding points during the game when nothing is being hit.

My scoop coil is not consistent. I have been changing it from 7 through 9. It is on 8 right now.

On two player the upper catapult ball never went in. Single player it never missed.

Sometimes the sound will drop out in 1 or 2 player games.

Single player works best on my Houdini. The scoop coil is the only thing that is not working perfectly.

I am sure these issues will be resolved as time goes on. I am enjoying this new pin!

#2682 2 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

My lock shot quit working. The ball just sits in the catapult. When the ball search starts, it does fire the catapult and I get credit for lock but it really sucks to have to wait and no lighting effect either. Any thoughts as to what's going on? Seems to stuck be in a weird state.

Mine did that once. I rebooted and it has not happened again.

#2684 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

This is a software issue that just needs to be figured out over time. As it is now, the scoop eject power is wildly inconsistent, even when you know there's only one ball in the subway so no chance of a lockup or jam requiring more power to kick out.

I am going to patiently wait. Thanks.

#2727 2 years ago
Quoted from Malibu-SS:

I had this happen on my game..the E switch is getting stuck closed depending on how it is hit(pushed to the left).And hitting it again usually frees it up.The switch stack needs to be tightened up somehow....since there are riveted together not sure what to tell you
I cannot give you a solution as my E switch and N switch were reversed and once I switched them that problem has stopped so far

I will look at that. Thanks.

#2737 2 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Yeah, great explanation. A lot of vibration in that catapult to rattle the screws out!

I just discovered one screw was out of my lower catapult switch. Found it in the back of the cabinet.

I also saw the optic sensor came out again from the scoop. The playfield is so tight underneath you have to be real careful putting it back down.

#2738 2 years ago
Quoted from Malibu-SS:

I had this happen on my game..the E switch is getting stuck closed depending on how it is hit(pushed to the left).And hitting it again usually frees it up.The switch stack needs to be tightened up somehow....since there are riveted together not sure what to tell you
I cannot give you a solution as my E switch and N switch were reversed and once I switched them that problem has stopped so far

My right E switch contacts were too close together. Easy fix. Thanks again.

#2810 2 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

Open the back box. Take the lcd down. You will now see the amp where you can hook the sub up directly. Google the amp model for directions on how to hook up the sub if you are not sure. This is what I did and it works great.

Can you give details on your sub? Sounds like something I will put in.

1 week later
#3043 2 years ago
Quoted from monte_:

I played about 20-25 games today at an arcade today. I found 2 shots to be extremely difficult, the milk jug and the lock loop for the chest. I feel like the lock loop for you have to have not only some skill but some luck. I want to know if it is really that hard even after you have played the game a couple hundred times. I had no games where i got 3 balls into the lock mechanism and to get into milk jug was luck. I guess you have to be perfect off the end of the right flipper. Someone post and let me know. I was thinking of purchasing it. Anyone unhappy with the purchase because it is too challenging or like with any pinball machine it gets easier as you play it more?

I have had my Houdini for about a month now. I have played it almost exclusively since I got it. It does get easier. I have gotten 3 balls into the trunk a few times. Usually only 2 though. The shot under the milk jug is still hard. It goes in by luck mostly. The only problem I have now is still the séance VUK. It is set to 7 now. Sometimes it will take 4 tries to get the ball out. It will work on the first try about 90%. Twice the ball has fallen off the right rail and down to the out lane. May need to set the coil a bit stronger so the ball goes around faster or need to bend the rail up more.

#3088 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Check your subway opto assembly (the one that has 3 senders and receivers on each side of the trough leading up to the scoop VUK under the PF) and make sure the screws for it haven't come loose from the PF (from vibration or whatever) letting it hang a little too low.

OK. The one opto had come out before from lifting the playfield. I will check that! Thanks.

2 weeks later
#3442 2 years ago

Hello Barry. Will AP be shipping the prepaid Magic Glass soon? Thanks.

1 week later
#3638 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I have early production game #90. Im able to hit all skill shot targets. Now getting the skill shot is another story.
Soft plunge is the key. To much strength on plunge and it adds a velocity that is impossible to control.

I have #92 and I have made all 3 skill shots. Now I have to make them more often!

#3761 2 years ago

I have about 200 plays on now. Houdini is playing very good now that I have done some tweaking. I am able to make all the shots regularly. The milk can is still hard to make though! A couple of times the ball fell off the right trail after the upper catapult fired. I lowered the setting but it came off again. Will lower setting more. Shaker coming Monday. Still waiting to get Magic glass.

#3780 2 years ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

Just installed the shaker motor. Very cool! On a couple games, I noticed it while in the pops, when the trunk shuts, the elephant walking, and the jail door slamming.

Put my shaker in last night. Same results as yours. May be coincidence but I scored my first 1+ million game with the shaker! Sorry Matt. Scored big points with bullet catch and trunk multiball.

#3842 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Can anyone comment on how well the shaker is integrated into this game? Ive ordered my game sans shaker as it just didn't seem that this was a title that it seemed appropriate for but Im open to being convinced that its a must have.

The shaker is great with the pops. Seems slow to come on with trunk lock. Mine shakes after the ball goes in and the lid closes. Also came on when the jail door closes if I remember correctly. This shaker seems to have the right amount of movement for these features.

#3843 2 years ago

I have shakers in my LOTR standard, LAH, ST pro and Houdini. They all integrate well with the shakers.

#3910 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Hey guys, been a little busy last few days with some great stuff going on here AP, and maybe I'll be able to share some stuff soon. Did a quick glance through the posts to see what questions have come up, but suspect I've missed some, so if this posts misses not something, please repost.
High Score resetting . There is no command currently to just reset high scores (or to set your own). Clearing audits (via service menu -> Utilities), will reset the hight scores to the default (current audits will move to the middle column when viewing stats). It is on the list to add a command for this, but not the highest priority. As a reminder, all of that service menu and utility stuff had to be created since this is our first machine, and I am only one guy, so I pick and choose what I consider to be the most important items, but I will get to it. But certainly okay to raise issues and wants here so I can get a sense of which missing things people actually miss.

Rejects -- As someone suggested, flipper strength probably too high. Take down one notch and see if it improves, then take down another notch and see how it plays. On my machine I rarely get airballs and rejects, key is to find that sweet spot where the strength is strong enough to make the ramp, but not overly hot where you get rejects and airballs. You may find that having the left flipper one notch higher than the right makes sense. There will always be some level of rejects since the ball can get into the stage at angles and positions where it is just not going to stick.
1) you can turn off the match. I'd have to look more deeply to see if I can enable the start button to work during Match.
2) Non-game items only come up on 2 and 5th visits. I will be looking at what might work for a flipper escape on the magic hat, but it is somewhat more complex then going it for modes.
3) Is there a specific place you are seeing this? The timer is typically stopped when the ball is not in play
4) I agreed that it should, I'll have to check that.
5) noted
6) depending on settings Return from Beyond is lit by getting two jackpots during a seance multiball, Escape Death is lit by completing two jail escapes. If you earn the outlane mode via Magic Shop or Skill shot, then the lit outlane moves with each flipper hit. If you then earn either via the normal method, they will be both be lit.

Goal is to shake when lid closes, I've not noticed it being late, but I'll watch for it. So, based feedback I've seen so far, sounds like you guys are pleased with the use of the shaker. Goal is to find the right balance to enhance game play without over doing it or using it ways that don't fit.

Code updates do not in anyway impact settings (other then if new settings are being added). it will not mess with pricing (so operators, please update to the latest code when available), it will not mess with settings, it will not mess with coil strength, it will not mess with stage calibration. Anytime you insert the USB stick it will save off settings and data, and I anticipate in the future there will be support to re-load settings (but not sure I will be adding support to import back in high score data).

Setting aside that Agile is an umbrella term for a variety of methodologies (Scrum, RAD, Extreme, etc.), I use a completely different top secret methodology.
Not sure If I missed any other questions, if so, re-post.

My shaker does as you said, when the lid closes it shakes. I just thought it would have started sooner. Love it in the pops and elephant!

#3999 2 years ago

Magic glass is on its way! Thanks Joe.

#4015 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I'll go play a game right now. Never to early for pinball. Maybe it's that I'm on carpet? Is there a shaker intensity adjust yet? Maybe in future could add that to features like coil adjustment, not much, maybe a 3 tier implement, soft, med, A lot! .

My Houdini is on carpet and shakes when it should- the trunk closing, pops, jail door slam. I can't recall it shaking other than those when I played. The amount of shake seems just right!

#4053 2 years ago

Got Magic Glass today. I have 5 Invisiglass in other pins. The MG is slightly better under my lights. The MG is flawless in appearance.
Played today and had an issue with the scoop. It usually works OK. It tried to put ball out 4 times then stopped. Had to reboot. Coil was set on 7, tried on 8(NG) and is now on 9. No other pins were on. Everything else is working great!
Houdini plays like my Williams pins and I like that. It is my favorite at this moment.

#4057 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

That's what we want, to help them player without it looking like something odd is going on.

Early on we were not happy with what we are getting as far as it making in through consistently, but after the tweaks were made between prototype and production it did not seem to be as much of an issue and we tried it without it for a bit, and it seemed like you could more consistently make the shots, but I decided to put it back in, to give the player a little more help. The Stage Alley shot to start modes with 2X scoring is pretty important.

What version of code are you on?

18-5-4

1 week later
#4227 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Has anyone heard any updates on the unpredictable scoop coil lately? This is definitely a thing

The scoop is my only major issue. I had it try 4 times with no success on putting the ball out, once. Had to reboot. Sometimes it works OK then it may struggle to put the ball out. I did increase my flippers power by 1 and I had my second Million plus game. Coincidence?

#4240 2 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I've had no reboots and zero scoop eject issues. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones!
The only thing I've noticed is sometimes there is a delay switching between modes or screens, like 1-2 seconds, where that didn't happen on the early code. I am running latest code and that was the first time I noticed the lag every now and then. Also the ball still hanging up behind the planchette.
I'm pretty sure I can use of the suggestions on here to wire tie those cables to the side. Just not a priority yet.
My better half is really starting to appreciate the game as I am too after owning for a couple months. That says something positive if she asks to pplay Houdini first in my collection. Usually it's Bride of Pinbot or Metallica.
I was on the fence after buying it for a first few weeks because of my "bricking" of shots but play better was my solution.
And she has figured it out too.
Gotta hit those shots like a surgeon with finesse.
As I posted before, don't expect to "Gorilla Flip" those flippers and score like a conventional pin. Lots of strategy involved
to get a good score.

I have also noticed the lag between the modes a few times with the new current code. Not a big concern for me though.

1 month later
#4726 2 years ago

Had best game so far of 2.3 million on 5 ball play. Some days everything goes great. Still hard to do the left milk can shot!

3 weeks later
#5094 2 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

How do the owners who have had Houdini for a while like it? I see reviews all over the place. I have one coming but am curious.

I have had my Houdini for over 4 months. It is my new favorite. Very challenging. Milk can shot hard but with more practice I am making it intentionally. After a few issues it is now working great with consistency.

#5223 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Yes go straight to 18.8.5, in fact, 18.8.1 is no longer available

Bugs in code is on me, when they create real problems the least I can do is try to resolve them quickly. Issues are going to happen, testing misses things, it’s my first game, I make mistakes, etc. I believe it is how you respond when things go wrong that defines you.

I had 18.8.1 code in and pin was OK. I just tried twice to put in 18.8.5 and now I have nothing. Pin will not boot up. It flashes from blue to black screen. When I put the stick in it was done in a second but now there is nothing.

#5241 2 years ago

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Third times a charm! I downloaded the new code and it worked. Not sure what happened before. I like the new code. Houdini is in the house!

3 weeks later
#5664 2 years ago

I have code 18-8-5. I have put it in twice. Game was fine until the other day. The trunk shots are now always missing. The pops are not working although the shaker works when they are hit. And the left lock had 5 ball locked up. They will not release. The 3 switches are working. I looked under the playfield and cannot see anything wrong.

#5679 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Sounds like you blew a fuse for the coils (pops and lock release post). The pop bumpers, upper diverter, upper catapult, and 3 ball lock post are all on the same fuse. They're tiny fuses on the boards under the PF.

I thought it might be a fuse. I will have to take a closer look. Hard to see under there! Thanks.

#5681 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Sounds like you blew a fuse for the coils (pops and lock release post). The pop bumpers, upper diverter, upper catapult, and 3 ball lock post are all on the same fuse. They're tiny fuses on the boards under the PF.

I found one board with 4 fuses. I think it is the one with the larger diameter red wires. The fuse is still good. The other 3 are also OK. I saw 1 other fuse in the cabinet bottom. I can't believe there are only 5 fuses in the whole pin. Still not working.

Are we getting manuals sometime?

#5685 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Did you take the fuse actually OUT of the carrier to test it? The one you're looking for is the one with the thick RED lead (Brown and Blue are the other two coil power lead colors). The RED lead supplies power to 7 coils.
If you take the fuse for that power lead out and it tests good, follow from the fuse and look for a wire break.

I did have the fuse out and it is good. So far I cannot see any breaks. I will look again later. Thanks.

#5688 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Also, open the coin door, pull the white safety post inside the coin door (to enable power to the coils) and measure the power on the red, blue, and yellow leads to see if the red one is getting power. DO NOT work on the machine with the coil power enabled, though. Remember to pop it back in so you don't accidentally short something out.

It is now working. I pulled off a couple of the connectors on that board and reset them. They looked OK though!

#5692 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Loose connection is a best-case scenario, so you win!

You are so right! Must be that shaker. I love it.

1 week later
#5908 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Flipper bat gauge is great.
Are they available ?
LTG : )

Got mine with the Houdini.

#5912 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I was getting very frustrated with my game.
I added the EOS switches, the variac and spread the forks on the autolaunch bracket (this to insure the ball is always centered in the lane when launched).
I also side drilled the seance "C" target mounting bracket holes and moved it 1/8" to the left (this makes a world of difference and its twice as easy to make the inner loop now).
I dropped the flippers 2mm (measured from the center of the tips). 1.5mm is also good and barely noticeable in the game, but harder to make the milkcan shot. These adjustments do not adversely affect catching or cradling the ball.
My game plays wonderfully.
Its tight and makes the shots consistantly (similar to AFM but not as brutal).
It's now playing as it should I think.
Consider my adjustments and you will see what i mean immediately.
I cannot believe how fun this game is when properly set up. Well done API.
I love this game!

I dropped my flippers also and moved the "C" target to left. Immediate improvement. I made the trunk lock shot 3 times in a row. Also was making milk can shot easier!

I took apart the lower catapult. It was not dirty. Put in a thicker washer. That made it worse. Will put in original washer.

#5913 2 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Have you tried a washer between wood and the bracket on the left screw to tilt the target towards the left side?
1/8" seems difficult to not screw in the same original hole.

Tilting should be OK with a washer. I had to drill the left hole on an angle. It was too close to the original.

#5928 2 years ago

Side drilling the holes in the target bracket to make adjustable slots is the preferred method.
Yes it's too close to drill new holes in the playfield in most cases.
So dont still the playfield, widen the holes in the target bracket instead.
As always be careful when making adjustments. Go slow and use proper tools.
Be safe.

Too late. Drilled the wood.

#5955 2 years ago

Lol, seems like you did a good job anyways

Yes. It works. I am really loving the dropped flippers. Still making the shots no problem!

#6015 2 years ago

I have been making most of the milkcan shots from the end of the right flipper also. I dropped the flippers about 2mm. This helped on all the shots!
The lower catapult is making the trunk by bouncing off the left side wall. I will reduce coil power but may have to adjust the catapult.

#6078 2 years ago

Is the catapult straight in the slot?
It's held in by 4 screws a 1/4" nutdriver makes it easy to work on.
It comes out easy and isn't buried in wires or anything.
There is plenty of room in the wooden playfield cutout for side to side adjustments, if you have to rework the mounting plate.
It's a fairly easy adjustment.
If you do it, please report back.

I moved the mount to the right and the ball will go straight some times and fall short of the trunk. Other balls are still going to the left and bouncing off the side into the trunk.

#6083 2 years ago

Is the catapult straight in the cutout?
Does anything in the catapult appear loose. The arm shouldn't have very much side play on the fulcrum at all, but should be fairly free and not binding on anything.
Some people have added a thin washer to keep the arm from moving sideways left or right on the shaft.
This would be a good starting point.
After that, maybe power fluctiations? Especially if it's working one day and not the next.
If the catapult is super straight in the cutout the ball should end up in the left half of the trunk just past center.
The rest is power settings.

Catapult is straight. Extra washer made it worse. It missed to the left twice and third time it went straight but fell short of going in. When it was new it never missed.

#6109 2 years ago

This leads me to believe something mechanical has changed or power is up due to the fall season.

Must be power. I played yesterday and after reset to 28 from 30, ball always goes in!

#6153 2 years ago

Maybe get a little plug in voltmeter to check the wall power if something changes dramatically.

I had 115v the other day. Today I have 116v. What is needed and how do we get it to run Houdini without constant adjustments?

#6155 2 years ago

Just ordered the new power supply. Hope this fixes everything!

#6208 2 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Hi,
Is there a difference between the magic glass and the invisible glass?
Thanks

I have both and they are almost identical.

1 week later
#6368 2 years ago

Power supply upgrade installed !
The instructions are very good anyone with a modicum of experience will have zero problems.
3 things:
1) The nut for the plastic cover is 1/2" a hollow 1/2" nut driver works well for this.
2) Install ground wire. The instructions dont specify a particular location but any ground location will work.
I chose to attach the ground wire to the AC cord receptacle just behind the unit on the rear wall of the cabinet.
The cabinet ground braid clearly runs under and through it.
Just loosen one of the 1/4"hex screws in one of the corners and put the ground wire under it and tighten.
3) You need a #1 flat blade or small screwdriver to loosen the terminal screws on the existing power supply board.
You need to cut off the really nice terminals from the brown and black wires and strip them back at least 1/2" to 5/8".
Dont strip it too short. It wont go deep enough into the special wall nut provided.
You need diagonals or a small wire cutter.
My game had 2 brown and 3 black wires. One of the black wires was a pair crimped together.
Installed on my game, the power supply rides the corner brace in the cabinet.
So its installed at a slight angle.
This is good though as it will get more air flow.
You can move the toroid supply board to the left a bit if you want if you want, but its not necessary.
I used a screw gun to mount the power supply to the cabinet with the included wood screws.
All in all taking my time it took about 20 mins.
It's a little cramped working in the lower cabinet behind the playfield but there is just barely enough room to get the job done.
I worked primarily from the left side.

My power supply mounted even next to the transformer. I used the ground on the service outlet box. I worked from the right side. I did lift the playfield higher with some supports after pulling it more forward. Took me 30 minutes. I agree with all the other comments from pinballinreno! Played a few games with zero issues. Trunk shots were 100% in. The lower catapult is at 28. The upper vuk is now at 10. I never had the flippers drop.

#6370 2 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

What are you folks going to use your 150 credit for? I'm thinking shaker and Houdini work shirt. Spare plastics set is a practical choice.

You will love the shaker. I may get the knocker and a backglass. I have shaker, side art and magic glass.

#6387 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I think I’m going for the glass... how do you guys that have it think it compares to PDI/Invisiglass?

I have 5 Invisiglass and 1 Magic Glass. They are very similar. MG may be a touch better.

#6388 2 years ago

I have large fluorescent lights above some of my pins. I have the special glass under those lights. There is no glare now! I would get IG or MG for all but too expensive.

#6469 2 years ago

New power supply working great. Catapult shot to trunk is now 100%. Flippers dropped slightly and coils at 23. Using purple Super Bands on flippers. Lower cat is 28. Upper cat is 19. Scoop is 7. Upper vuk is 10. Everything in game is working great. I can repeatedly make all the shots. I did 5 consecutive ramp shots. The most I ever did on any of my pins. Mostly just playing Houdini now!

#6476 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

How's those working out? I've wondered what the flipper 'rubber' actually was given the purple color. Can you even get rubber in purple? On a related note, I was thinking of swapping out some of the black rubber for purple Titan's.

I think the originals are Perfect Play brand. I use Super Bands in all my pins. I love the red ones in my FH. They play different but I like them. Try them on one and see if you like them. They are difficult to get on the flipper. I start at the back and use a small screw driver to stretch the front over. My buddy always says something about them . I use all SB post covers and post bumpers also.

#6478 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

So do you think those are those rubber or silicone, etc?

The SB are silicone. The PP are also silicone but a different formula.

1 week later
#6555 2 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

Where do most people have their settings? Mine were all over the place until I put the new power supply in. Now I'm not sure where to set everything Thanks

Check my post 6468.

3 weeks later
#7109 2 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Stupid question, what size wrench is easiest for leg leveling? So far I still have mine leveled via furniture pads. I'd like to get a Stool somewhere online, a torpedo leveler, and do this proper in the future.

9/16" wrench

#7116 2 years ago

Just put in the knocker. Very easy with the new power supply. Love those wall-nuts.

1 week later
#7315 1 year ago
Quoted from Crazydaisy:

In relation to balls auto plunging, even with the default set to off , after about 10 min the ball still auto plunges , hopefully this can be addressed.
Also has anyone noticed that the trunk on the Playfield has 3 latches and the ones in animations have 4 latches ?

I saw the 3 or 4 trunk latch difference. The playfield truck was probably too short to have 4 and have it look good.

1 week later
#7415 1 year ago

Anyone else having trouble on the AP website? When I click on the update code my PC freezes and I have to turn off the PC with the start button.

2 weeks later
#7637 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

When you say "laptop" you mean a windows machine (mac has laptops, too)?
I'd delete the download you have and try re-downloading it from scratch. Then if that doesn't work, try a different USB drive.

Same thing happened to me. I used another USB and downloaded again. It worked the second time.

1 week later
#7699 1 year ago
Quoted from hollywood:

AP site says power supply is sold out. Maybe they will get them back?

Yes. They get more and sell out. Then get more and sell out...

1 month later
#8158 1 year ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

Where do you find the knocker an end of stroke switches and also what are people using for a shaker is it from American pinball or pinball life or similar?

Get all from AP

#8162 1 year ago
Quoted from zahner:

Knocker
Shaker
EOS flipper upgrade
Mod Father Houdini drink holder!

Scoop Cliffy

#8183 1 year ago

I have not had any flipper issues. I put in the new power supply, shaker, knocker and the scoop Cliffy. Game is great!

2 weeks later
#8414 1 year ago
Quoted from gentrsa:

So I "hope" I have narrowed it down to this not being plugged in but my son as my witness where in the heck does this USB end go!!!!! Oh my gosh this makes my brain itch[quoted image][quoted image]

No. That is used to download new code. Sorry.

#8420 1 year ago
Quoted from Platypus:

Do you ever have something that you never really noticed but once you do notice it or is brought to your attention really starts to bug you?
Hdmike444 brought up Houdini’s eyes back in post #8288 page166. I didn’t understand until I realized the eye inserts are bigger than the irises. So I decided to do my own fix today. Out in the shop I found a drawer of rubber grommets. The hole size is 7/16 and a 1/2” grommet fits snug. I still got some light bleed on the rest of the insert so I found some rubber washers and put those in first. It’s not perfect bet a lot better.
[quoted image]
I had a flat sided grommet that I think would work better than the rounded ones and allow skipping the flat washer.
[quoted image][quoted image]

How did you get my drawer of grommets?

3 weeks later
#8616 1 year ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Do I need the EOS installed if mine does not have it? What does it help?

Mine plays great without the EOS switches.

3 months later
#9362 1 year ago
Quoted from meSz:

Lets hope as the flipper issue is annoying as hell. IMO it's the biggest problem with Houdini. I've done the EOS, power supply, cleaned contacts, messed with settings, knock down the flippers and still have the flippers give out.

Not sure why some people are having this flipper problem. I have #92. I have never had issues with the flippers. I did put in the new power supply to help with the trunk shots. The trunk has never missed since I put in the new power supply. I hope everyone gets their issues resolved. The game is great when it is all working.

7 months later
#9998 8 months ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

Anyone experiencing a random dead flipper, coupled with inconsistent flipper power?

My right flipper stopped the other day. The return spring had broken.

#10002 8 months ago
Quoted from GSones:

I had a flipper spring break too. Got a replacement from my distributor ASAP (plus a few spares). It's nice to get a softball fix now and again.

All my spares were too weak. I took one coil off the broken spring and bent it to attach to the bracket.

3 weeks later
#10182 7 months ago
Quoted from Looney:

About a year ago I bought my first pin, well used. Houdini is one of 3 I'm considering making my first new machine, so I've been lurking this thread for some time and have a few questions.
Does the machine require constant adjustment and readjustment to play properly? Some of the comments have me concerned I'll be working on it more than playing.
I've noticed many for sale after only being owned a short time; care to speculate? Seems like a red flag.
About how many have been made?
Given your experience, would you buy it again? The theme blows me away and for pinball is very compelling.
Look, I'm not looking for any guarantees, here. I understand pinball requires some maintenance and technical knowhow. Just trying to make an informed purchase by going to the best resource.
Thx in advance.

I have #92 for a while now. I put in the knocker and the shaker. I have the added power supply.

I had to adjust the 2 catapults and the VUK a few times. Now it is dialed in. The trunk catapult NEVER misses! The upper catapult occasionally misses.
It seems to work better on a weaker setting for me. The VUK may struggle to get the ball out during multiball. But it does come out eventually.

My first NIB. Love it.

3 weeks later
#10340 6 months ago
Quoted from GSones:

Unless API has changed the kit since I got it, it's really just some instructions and a 3/16" black rubber. Sorry for the bad pics but that's the best I can do for now but hopefully it'll be legible. Essentially you remove the 7/16 ring that is around the 2 posts by the guide, bend the guide to touch the first post and put the 3/16 ring on the remaining post. If you don't have a 3/16" rubber ring, shoot me a PM and I'll send you one for free.[quoted image][quoted image]

Must have missed this before. I just did the fix and it works better now. I can make all three targets now.

I had to use a round file on the bracket holes so I could fasten it back down in the new location against the post.

1 week later
#10453 6 months ago

The ropes look OK.

#10454 6 months ago
Quoted from melappels:

I am planning to decorate the ramp a little. How about this ??
Its just to see how it looks.
I also put real shackles between the locks.
[quoted image]

The ropes look OK.

1 month later
#10707 5 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Absolutely not. My Mirco PF has been outstanding, regardless of the somewhat recent PF issues.

My Mirco playfield is beautiful. The only one I have that is nicer is the new one I put in my FH. No manufacture mark on it though!

The Houdini pf does have one insert that has a small crack in it. They should have replaced the insert. I try to not look at it.

1 month later
#11147 3 months ago

I just installed the capacitor kit and now most of the coils do not work. Took out the new capacitor and still nothing. Went in test. None of the coils fire in test. Wrote to AP for help. I have the 48v add on power supply.

Instructions show J2, should say J5? Picture shows 1 black and 1 brown wire. Should be 2 of each?

#11153 3 months ago

I forgot to pull out the door switch! Now only the pops, upper post, upper catapult and trunk lid do not work.

My J5 wire has 2 brown on one slot and 2 black wires on one slot. One of each is from one board and the other two are from the board on the other side.

I think all the fuses are OK. I will check connections. I did use the walnuts. I will sends some pictures.

Thanks.

#11156 3 months ago
20200819_192819 (resized).jpg20200819_192827 (resized).jpg20200819_192841 (resized).jpg20200819_193445 (resized).jpg
#11157 3 months ago

Last picture shows J6 as single brown and single black. Instructions look like the other board though.

#11159 3 months ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Why are you messing with the brown bank of coils? That's not where the flippers are powered from and shouldn't have anything to do with the flipper power add-on board.

I got it to fix the scoop. It is advertised as coil improvement kit. It is not specified as for flippers.

#11161 3 months ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

What is your scoop issue?? I've rarely seen the scoop act differently under heavy load and if it does fail to eject the first time it will certainly recover for the second one.

It may take 3 or 4 times to come out. This is the only issue my Houdini has. My trunk catapult has never missed since I put in the new 48v power supply.

#11165 3 months ago

It may be that the coils not working has nothing to do with the capacitor board or fuses.
We are only adding a capacitor to the power line.
Possibly bad connections at the wal-nuts since the problem remains with the cap out of the circuit.

I think you may be right. When I had the capacitor hooked up the scoop was working better.

I am waiting for AP to answer my email. I think the 4 items must be on the same circuit. A hard copy manual would be great to trace the circuit.

Is you machine one of the early ones? Mine is.

#11177 3 months ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

This sounds like your "Red" bank of coils is out. Look at the two PD-16 boards and find the one with all the Red wires attached to it, with the game on, in service mode and the coin door closed or the interlock switch pulled out is there a red LED lit next to the brown / black power input, near the fuse? I suspect it's not and the first thing you should check is that fuse.[quoted image]

You were close. All fuses are OK. It was the brown/black wire connector that is very loose on that board. Light was off. Got it working now.

Thanks to bobukcat and everyone else for the guidance.

Will talk with AP later today to make sure I have the capacitor plugged in correctly.

#11179 3 months ago

Just got a call from AP. Outstanding service. All is good again. Capacitor was hooked up correctly. All coils working. Now I have to dial them in. Scoop puts ball out on first try! Thanks again to everyone for the help.

#11198 3 months ago
Quoted from finnflash:

So would the capacitor be helpful if I have little to no flipper fade? Does it make the whole game just play better?

YES!

#11199 3 months ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

EOS kit for folks with upgraded power supply? Or anyone?

I have the 48v upgrade power supply. I have never had flipper issues before or after. I do not have the EOS kit.

The capacitor kit I just installed has made a dramatic change for the better.

#11200 3 months ago

After AP guidance I have the capacitor kit working. I have played a few games and the difference is dramatic!

The scoop puts the ball out the first time. The upper catapult is smooth and puts the ball right in the center of the ramp. The lower catapult sends the ball directly in the trunk. The game is now totally smooth.

On a side note I adjusted the pops leaf switches to barely not touching. Now there is lots of ball action between the three pops.

Thanks to brenna98!

3 months later
#11721 2 days ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

I cant find the option to enable game restart by holding the start button. Can anyone help? Or do i need to hold something in addition to start?

Go into API Cockpit. Then into settings, then into standard, then scroll down to slow restart. Set to ON.

Start button has to be held longer than on some other pins.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Roswell, GA
$ 6,995.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drummermike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside