20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #145 Houdini Pinball initial flyer Posted by HighProtein (7 years ago)

Post #184 Initial reveal at TPF Posted by SilverballNut (7 years ago)

Post #190 Introductory Price of Houdini Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #198 Initial Pictures of Machine Posted by lllvjr (7 years ago)

Post #229 Playfield Close-Up Pics Posted by bigd1979 (7 years ago)

Post #284 Machine feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #312 More feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #385 Double switch lane picture Posted by pinballrockstar (7 years ago)

Post #420 Pinball show appearance schedule for Houdini Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #434 Houdini pics from Allentown show Posted by PinballSTAR (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ceemunkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14491 1 year ago

Just got a Houdini and an Oktoberfest in a trade with my BKLE. This game is absolutely freaking amazing! The only niggling complaint I have is the sound. Oktoberfest sounds very rich - with some good bass etc... Houdini just sounds a little too tinny for my liking - i did notice there's no subwoofer in the cabinet so is that the simple solution (adding a sub)?

#14497 1 year ago

Just to report back - I hooked up an external subwoofer and the sound now matches the rest of the game ie, amazing!

I'd recommend anyone and everyone to do the same if you haven't - because not only is it pretty easy to do, but the music on this really is excellent and suits the game so perfectly.

#14500 1 year ago

I dont know if it's simply the way my game is set up - it's certainly not due to me being a great player but I don't find this game too hard or frustrating at all, and I'm struggling to understand what the big fuss is with this games difficulty. All the shots are perfectly makeable just spending a short time dialling the shots in. It's weird because when you eyeball the game, the shots do look incredibly tight visually, but I still manage to hit things pretty consistently and I can get trunk multiball going pretty often (probably every other game), plus I'm finding the orbits very repeatable.

Perhaps it's because I have this game sitting next to ACNC which requires professional sniper levels of precision?

2 weeks later
#14525 1 year ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Very few games can bring me to the level of excitement and satisfaction that Houdini brings me over and over. The modes, shots, and visuals are a home run every time I play. Thank you so much AP for producing such a kick ass game.

Definitely second this!

I got it as a package together with OF (which was the game I was really after), but what a fantastic surprise this game's turned out to be for me. Awesome work AP!

#14528 1 year ago

The art blades that came on my my machine are pretty wasted and could do with replacing. I actually saw these on pingraffix and thought they could look amazing on Houdini (it would mesh well with the LCD and the stage). What are peoples thoughts - try these or just get standard ones?

https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/theatre-of-magic-plain-pinball-inner-art-pinblades-bally-williams-pinball

edit: I also quite like the look of these tilt graphics ones:

https://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/product-page/houdini-steam-punk-gameblades-1

#14531 1 year ago

Yeah I've never taken the playfied out to install art blades I've done it 5 or 6 times and never even used the wet method.

#14535 1 year ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

Because api's side blades suck. They are as thin as paper. And yes... I know some games can be installed without removing the playfield... But houdini is very busy and tight. I strongly recommend taking out the playfield.

Yeah actually I can see that lots of stuff would get in the way, and the playfield is pretty tight in there (others I've done have a bit of leeway you can use). The wet method should still work though. Also if these things are paper thin, are they gonna be a pain in the *ss to remove?

3 weeks later
#14562 1 year ago

I think it happens after the front catapult has fired the ball into the trunk, and you also have a movie mode qualified. So the trunk will hold the ball while the movie intro is played, then the rear catapult will fire the ball into the right wireform.

#14571 1 year ago

I've owned a few games that genuinely surprised me at how great they are (usually a surprise because it's a non-Stern that isn't hyped up to ridiculous levels). Houdini is definitely one of them. It's a great game to have in a line up - it's refreshingly different, has some lovely shots and the catapult never gets old. The toys and sculpts put most pins to shame, and the code gives you tonnes of stuff to do, there's magic trick modes, film modes, Jail hurry ups, 3 or 4 multiballs and a number of wizard modes. One thing I would also say for sure - please don't pay attention to people saying the game's shots are too tight, because pretty much everything on this game is perfectly makeable. Except the milk can mini loop - holy hell that shot is IMPOSSIBLE!

The only thing it desperately needs is a subwoofer - I thought the sound quality was pretty bad without one (and there isn't one installed from factory). The music/sounds themselves are great and a sub really brings it out.

3 weeks later
#14627 11 months ago

I do really enjoy my Houdini, but if I'm honest, I think Oktoberfest is a superior game and I tend to play it a lot more. I know the theme isn't for everyone, but I actually think OF is one of the most fun pins I've ever played and the rules/code are superb. Plus it really has some super satisfying shots/combos. Definitely worth a play if you can find one on location, but it has to be one that's been set up nicely - because the beer barrel shot can certainly benefit from some TLC and dialling in.

#14630 11 months ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

I played some octoberfest in Osaka was a fun game. Would love to get more time on it.

You just have to get yourself over to my place mate.

#14632 11 months ago
Quoted from Optimiser:

I'm actually trying to sell my Houdini.

Will definitely be a hard time to sell now - rate hikes certainly aren't helping with peoples cash situation, and in any case not much is moving as I guess everyone is now waiting for their FF, GF, PF, Scooby or GTF.

I'm actually looking at a trade for Legends of Valhalla - I do really like Houdini, but I've been after an LoV for a while...

1 month later
#14706 10 months ago
Quoted from rosh:

LOV "animations" are just images, most of which were done by Scott Gullicks the game designer. Animations were one of the reasons it is a 'Riot' Pinball game, as we had been improving in animations from game to game and the this was seen as a step back from all of the existing games. There was no budget or time to re-do the animations, other than replacing things that were just plucked from the internet to original art by Scott.

I actually really like the large display on LoV, because that artwork is so great, but its a real shame there's no animation at all. If a bit of time was spent adding some, LoV would be an absolutely phenomenal package - because the game itself, the code, the music/callouts and the art package are all truly outstanding. It really is the only thing this game is missing...

#14708 10 months ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

They could show big bag of corks on the display as far as I’m concerned AS LONG AS the IMPORTANT information is shown! I don’t look at the screen when I’m playing only to get some info about what I need to do. The screen adds for those on looking not those playing. Eg led zeppelin there’s practically no info shown so you’ve got to know the game to know what’s going on.

This is a very good point - you miss most of what's happening on the screen anyway... Although sometimes it's good to have a nice animation play as some sort of reward when you end a mode or something and the ball is stopped ever so briefly. It can be done right though - I always go back to Deadpool as it's my high bar - but that has some really superb animations that seem to play at exactly the right times ie, when you get a tiny break in the play, so you just have enough time to glance up and see them.

#14710 10 months ago
Quoted from Merendino:

I respect your take but man, we are spending $7,000 plus on these games...I guess I'm just picky; static images aren't the way for me, especially when everything else on LOV came SO CLOSE. If people are happy with this I would be super interested to read their complaints about a machine from anyone else. :/
Once again, art is all subjective. The static imagery on LOV just doesn't feel right. It would have been nice to at least have some drop shadows or more animated backgrounds or something to accentuate the positives while hiding the negatives. Is the display EVERYTHING in a pin? Of course not. Once again, it's probably me and me being finicky but it feels like the weirdest thing to skimp out on. I will admit, the art is cheesy and invokes some of the awful comic books from the 90s but none of it feels like a badass viking game at all.
I read SO many complaints about the animation/art on the display for TMNT (Stern). I was happy with them for the most part and honestly didn't get all the hoopla. Yes, it's true, you can't please everyone. I know AP's hands were pretty much tied with LOV, as they had to use what the artist gave them but as a potential buyer that reasoning/logic just rings hollow, I'm sorry. These things aren't cheap!
You can't compete with Olympic level swimmers by only being able to float.
I WANT AP to succeed and do great things and sell tons of games; if I didn't care I would simply say nothing.

Hey man I'm with you! I like the images, but as my comment in the LoV thread says that game would be exponentially better with some decent animations, and actually because of the high quality everywhere else on the game the static imagery really stands out.

#14714 10 months ago
Quoted from rosh:

I had animated a couple of things (Kraken, banshee, battle selection) to show Frank some techniques to give a bit of life to it, but I don't think much of the art easily lent itself to that and Frank felt his time was better spent elsewhere, especially when animations were not much of a topic of conversation. Possible with time, he will go back and do a bit more. Hard to know how much the limited animations have impacted sales, but given it has not been a huge point of conversation, not sure it is a huge factor, but I'm sure had some impact. Slow production and being an unlicensed theme are probably far bigger factors impacting sales.

Ahhhh ok that's why the banshee/kraken are animated but nothing else is. I did wonder why.

Yeah I can see there may be new artwork required to get some animation in - it's just a real shame because it's really the only thing that lets the game down somewhat.

With regard to Houdini's display/animations, I really don't get the criticism either - I thought they fit the theme really well, and there was a lot of content happening on the screen.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ceemunkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread?tu=ceemunkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.