20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #145 Houdini Pinball initial flyer Posted by HighProtein (7 years ago)

Post #184 Initial reveal at TPF Posted by SilverballNut (7 years ago)

Post #190 Introductory Price of Houdini Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #198 Initial Pictures of Machine Posted by lllvjr (7 years ago)

Post #229 Playfield Close-Up Pics Posted by bigd1979 (7 years ago)

Post #284 Machine feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #312 More feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #385 Double switch lane picture Posted by pinballrockstar (7 years ago)

Post #420 Pinball show appearance schedule for Houdini Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #434 Houdini pics from Allentown show Posted by PinballSTAR (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Videogod.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#563 6 years ago

Rosh, I just wanted to say a sincere "Thank you" for taking the time to post in this forum. It's been REALLY fascinating to hear your updates on the evolution of this game. I'm really looking forward to receiving mine when it's released. I'm sure I speak for a lot of people when I tell you that hearing all of your stories, anecdotes, and trials & tribulations regarding bringing this game to life really makes me feel like I'm part of the journey, and the stories I'll have to share will make the game even more special when it arrives. So, again... "Thanks!"

6 months later
#1397 6 years ago

I'm a professional magician, and I'm here to testify that top hats and magic wands are synonymous with magicians as far as the general public goes! Can't tell you how many thousands of events I've attended where this was the theme. Given that "Houdini" is a nod to the past, it is completely appropriate to use any of the old magic symbols in my opinion!

#1443 6 years ago

Match Ideas:
1. As a handcuffed Houdini separates his arms (breaking the cuffs), a number dangles on each cuff.
2. "Metamorphosis" but instead of Bess, Houdini swaps places with a match number. I see Houdini jumping on the trunk, tossing the cloth into the air, cloth drops and number is on top of the trunk.

3 weeks later
#1612 6 years ago

Josh, I'm high on the list as well, and I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

4 weeks later
#1811 6 years ago

If you bump up that conveyor 3 inches, maybe you can squeeze an extra parking place in there as well.

1 week later
#1926 6 years ago

May I ask a question, Josh? I got on the list for a Houdini back in May (!), and I'm really looking forward to owning it. My dilemma is that I would really like the Magic Glass, Blades & Shaker Motor add-ons. I know you mentioned that pricing and availability are not yet finalized, but would you suggest getting the machine now and adding those accessories later or waiting for all of them to be built into it at the factory?

3 weeks later
#2119 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Why not ask your distributor? He/she should be able to find out when you game goes on the line.

My distributor said the same thing. No idea.

#2172 6 years ago

Agreed. I need to know whether to go ahead and have my distributor ship my Houdini or if the Side Art and Magic Glass will be added at the factory.

1 week later
#2342 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I’m with you. Assumed with a June order I would be higher on the list but with all the Canada and other shipments there apparently was a longer line. Sad thing is I’m only 15 minutes from the factory but it looks like the wait will be worth it. My orders will stand unless my POTC CE comes in first or CG drops a surprise release bomb of awesome before that time. That could sway my patience. Lol

Yeah, I placed my order back in July (although I updated it to request Magic Glass and Side Art). No machine yet.

1 month later
#3269 6 years ago

Any way to turn off the skill shot?

#3299 6 years ago

Sorry, folks. Didn't mean to cause controversy. I had guests over to play, and they were becoming annoyed after about the 20th insult, and there was no way they were hitting that skill shot! Just wondered if it were possible to temporarily disable it. By the way, I was able to get the Magic Glass, and it is really incredible.

1 month later
#4138 5 years ago

I love my Houdini and have already played hundreds of games, but I do have a request. There are many times when I’m not sure if I successfully completed a task, especially then there are multiple challenges happenings simultaneously. I DEFINITELY know when I don’t (“Boo-You Stink” over and over). When you win there is a cheering sample, but it’s not very defined. I think that Houdini’s voice should announce victory; for example “I have escaped!” or “Thank you Ladies & Gentlemen!” etc. This wouldn’t cost much to bring the talent back in to record some victory samples, and I think it would greatly add to the game experience.

1 month later
#4962 5 years ago
Quoted from Jeffreyjonesbsme:

I have a valuable machine for trade and have an offer to trade for a Houdini.
I have done zero research as of right now.
My wife is my pinball buddy and I've seen her get so frustrated with some games, she stops playing them completely.
Is Houdini SO hard that a casual player won't have fun?

There is a LOT to like about Houdini, and while it is very challenging, all of my guests (who are are not pinball experts) have enjoyed playing it. It's a beautiful machine and has a great feel to it. On the other hand, it's the most negative pinball machine I've ever owned or played. It's constantly insulting you, booing you, and telling you how bad you are. That gets VERY old, and there's no way to turn it off. My daughter refers to Houdini as "the mean pinball machine." Also, I think AP must have gotten the same guy who does the voice for the Progressive Insurance Box commercials, so keep that in mind.

#4977 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

The audience boooing at failed modes makes me laugh.

Made me laugh too...the first 10 times. I think it's the shear quantity of negative callouts that's the problem. I also don't get the logic of doing a "you really stink" when the ball drains out the side.

#5002 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

YES! I posted this a couple months ago and I thought I was alone in that thought. To me it sounds like I'm getting boo'ed.

Exactly! I suggested either louder cheering or having Harry proclaim his victory upon escaping, which would be cool!

#5038 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

For the people having issues with the catapult shooting right or left.
We have discovered that over time the catapult that was shooting fine, all of a sudden is shooting wide in either direction.
The fix for this condition is, disassemble the catapult arm from the fulcrum clean with rubbing alcohol or similar, reassemble and enjoy.

Thanks, great tip! I also discovered lowering the catapult coil strength and playing with the leg levels helped.

#5083 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Do report how that works for you. There are a number of pinsiders suffering the same issues you've been having. A report "from the field" of a line conditioner in operation will be valuable.[quoted image]

I've had a Furman line conditioner on my Houdini since day 1. I've also had catapult issues, and the line conditioner did not seem to affect the the issues one way or another. Playing with the level of the front legs seemed to help and try the idea of cleaning the fulcrum and possibly re-centering the catapult if necessary.

#5088 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It won't help issues that are unrelated to power, but if you get it working correctly first and then it doesn't work right when the outlet power is low (or high) then a line conditioner should help. Also, which model Furman is it? Many of theirs have power conditioning (clean noise, shut down on overvoltage, etc), but do not have voltage regulation.

Well drat! Good to know. I just assumed it regulated voltage as well. I have the PL-8 Series 2. Thanks for the info.

#5139 5 years ago

I'm also in an endless loop boot cycle. Happened after I tried to load the custom message and went into Settings -> Standard to enable it.

Tried to "update" the code from the USB drive, but it's still in the boot loop.

#5143 5 years ago

Figured out the problem with my Custom Message. The PNG file has to be 72 dpi (I had mine set at 150 dpi).
1360 x 768
72 dpi
PNG format

Works great now. GREAT code update. I love all the new stuff!

#5152 5 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Glad you got yours working! The image posted from Josh is 120 dpi .

On my Mac, Photoshop indicates Josh's custom_image.png is 72 dpi, 8 bits per channel.

Screen Shot 2018-08-04 at 11.19.05 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-08-04 at 11.19.05 AM (resized).png
#5158 5 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Seems like everyone wants a custom message!
I will wait a while to try on mine to see if the issues are figured out first but
as a .PNG file, it can be a mixture of graphics/text/colors as long as it's 72 DPI?

Correct.

1 week later
#5422 5 years ago

Is anyone who has installed the Cliffy's planning on doing an install guide? Here's the message I received from Cliff regarding stripping the play field to install: "Not too hard and not too much to remove. If you know the difference between a screwdriver and a nut driver you can handle it Since I only have a playfield and not the game I havent made an install guide. I've heard from a couple guys who are planning a guide as soon as they get the guts up to tear into their brand new game."

#5472 5 years ago

Anyone else noticed this? On the "Secret Missions," you apparently have to go all the way around the ramp before you can continue, BUT if you go partially up the ramp the red indicator light will advance. This leads you to believe that you can then go for the next shot (ie, orbit or scoop), but when you do the red light just goes back to the ramp, prompting you to start over.

#5594 5 years ago

As discussed before in this forum, these Blade Protectors are a great investment:

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4575

Blade-Protectors (resized).pngBlade-Protectors (resized).png
3 months later
#7498 5 years ago

My purple flipper rubber rings are shot. Can you guys give me a recommendation for suitable replacements (same action as the originals)? Thanks!

#7500 5 years ago

You may be right. They do have a sheen to them like the Titan silicone rings.
https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=52

2 weeks later
#7664 5 years ago

Is anyone besides me completely confused by the "Master Magician" Wizard mode? The screen goes black and I'm shooting at everything that's lit or blinking, but by the end no matter what I hit, Houdini just counts me down and ends the game. Wouldn't several several separate phases of Master Magician be easier to follow and more satisfying, ala Cirqus Voltaire?

#7671 5 years ago

Thanks for the info. I don't mind the game ending so much as I would really love to know what to shoot at during "Wizard Mode" without having to take a screenshot of the instructions and tape it to the backboard! It would be lovely if there were sequential callouts and/or screen instructions guiding you through each phase of your progress.

2 months later
#8606 5 years ago

Would someone please post a video of the EOS switch installation? I don't want to solder the wires to the wrong place! Thanks.

#8608 5 years ago

I have the PDF. Video would be really helpful.

#8611 5 years ago

Appreciate it. I'm more confused about the OTHER ends of the wires.

#8620 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Nothing high tech here. Black wire ( ground ) to black wire ( ground ).
The wires reach to a spot American Pinball thought would be easiest for their customers.
LTG : )

Yeah, it's just that WHERE to solder the wires isn't crystal clear in the pictures. Maybe someone who's done this can snap some better pics?

1 month later
#8965 4 years ago

Anyone know the coding software used to program Houdini or was it coded from scratch?

11 months later
#10402 3 years ago

Help! The threaded screw in the 3 3/8" bumper rod broke and American Pinball is not responding. I can't find any mention of this part in the Service Manual. Can I find this part anywhere else or rig something else to work?

Pop-Coupler (resized).JPGPop-Coupler (resized).JPG
#10413 3 years ago

Yeah, I'm thinking maybe I need to lower the power to the Pop Bummers from the factory setting. Love the drama of the strong Pops, but this is the 2nd time a bumper rod has broken.

#10415 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Are you bumper rods powder coated or anodized or something? In your original post they appeared to be treated - or is that just reflection or some trick of the light? Mine look like plain steel, just like the replacements.

No, not coated. Just a reflection. The replacements are only $20 for the whole set, so I ordered two so I should be set for a long time. I urge you to do the same if you're worried about it.

4 months later
#11491 3 years ago

I think the Cap Board, Houdini Pinball Coil Performance Improvement Kit (KIT0006-00), is one of the most important upgrades you can do to your Houdini. Mine feels like a new game after installation. Flippers are strong and decisive. PLUS my lower catapult works every time now, and it has been consistently missing for a year. I was THIS close to dremeling holes and bending, but I'm glad I didn't. This Cap Upgrade fixed it (my new coil setting for the lower catapult is 26).

https://store.american-pinball.com/collections/frontpage/products/kit0006-00

Make SURE you have the upgraded 48v power supply OR a Metal Box power supply installed before you order this board.

Just to recap what others have said in various posts and my own additions:
1. The included instructions are wrong. When you remove the first wiring harness, it's from J5 (not J2 as indicated) on the existing board.
2. See Jgaltr56's post (#11371) for a picture on where to install your new Cap Board.
3. I cut the wire ties to give a little more slack to the wire harness I pulled from J5.
4. Attach this wire harness to J1 on the new Capacitor Board (and make sure the Capacitor Board is oriented so J1 is on the left; it's backwards in the instructions). Make sure you attach this wire BEFORE you screw the Capacitor Board into the playfield so you make sure you have enough slack.
5. I bought an Irwin 6" Quick Change drill bit extender from Lowes to drill the pilot holes. This is almost necessary to avoid having to completely pull boards out. https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-1-4-in-Hex-Quick-Connect-6-in-Drill-Bit-Extension/1003019134
6. Hold the Cap board in place and carefully drill shallow pilot holes through the corner holes (make sure the plastic standoffs are on the bottom of the board, so the board "stands off" from the playfield. Some have reported these being on wrong as shipped by AP. Mine were correct).
7. Use the new wiring harness included in the kit to connect J2 on the new Cap Board to J5 on the existing board.

1 week later
#11525 3 years ago

Since many of you Houdini owners are probably magic buffs, you might enjoy this video of me doing a card trick for Robert De Niro:

11 months later
#13069 2 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Thanks. I’ll try to adjust guides so balls are lined up better.
But usually I stop the game immediately and go to switch edges. As shown above, the game registers the correct switches on test mode. Would that assume that the switches were registered a few seconds earlier in game play?

That happened to me. I replaced the switch and it was fine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Videogod.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread?tu=Videogod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.