20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #145 Houdini Pinball initial flyer Posted by HighProtein (7 years ago)

Post #184 Initial reveal at TPF Posted by SilverballNut (7 years ago)

Post #190 Introductory Price of Houdini Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #198 Initial Pictures of Machine Posted by lllvjr (7 years ago)

Post #229 Playfield Close-Up Pics Posted by bigd1979 (7 years ago)

Post #284 Machine feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #312 More feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #385 Double switch lane picture Posted by pinballrockstar (7 years ago)

Post #420 Pinball show appearance schedule for Houdini Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #434 Houdini pics from Allentown show Posted by PinballSTAR (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sirgubster9.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9138 4 years ago

hey just a quick houdini question. super new to pins. played houdini once and loved it. When I was playing and the ball hit the bumper top chain things it felt different... like the whole machine was like vibrating or something, it felt so cool.... was this like a shaker mod that was installed or do they all come that way, or did I imagine the whole thing? and if i didnt imagine the whole thing do other machine do this same vibrating thing or whatever it was?

#9141 4 years ago

oh so that is basically the same as any game that has the shaker mod installed on it? and for this game it shakes when it hits those bumper chains? but on other games it shakes on whatever the mod is set up to shake on i guess then? side question; could you basically get a shaker mod and install it on any pin? or does it have to be a shaker mod that is specifically built for a specific mod, sorry if thats a super dumb question.

#9143 4 years ago

Oh wow super cool. Ok thanks for the info! Some day hopefully I'll get a Houdini. So sweet.

3 years later
#14598 11 months ago

JUST GOT A HOUDINI!!!!!!!!! I'm sooooooo excited, i have wanted this game ever since i played it for the first time years ago.... yAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. this was the dream machine for me!!!!!!! yaaaaa!!!!!! so happy to slowly read through all this fun stuff and learn everything i can about Houdini!!!!!!!

#14609 11 months ago

So manual says that houdini comes 6.5 pitch at default but I see sooo many people on here saying they have there's say at 6.1 or 6.2. All my games I normally set at 6.5. Should I really lower it down?

#14611 11 months ago
Quoted from Scoot:

I would not. 6.5 is the perfect pitch for this machine, at least it is for mine.

That's what I figured as well but then if you read back through this forum a bit wowzers everybody is saying much less even after the power amp. Confusing. But for now I'll stay at 6.5 then unless I get an overwhelming amount of people saying otherwise. Sadly now my catapult misses the shot though which is a bummer. Weirdly it seems like it's hitting left instead of just short.

#14614 11 months ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Joe Balcer made a point to ad a new feature to NiB setup. Not having to worry about game leaveling. Houdini is designed for the leg levelers to be all the way up with no threads extended , showing. Thus, there screwed all the way in.
Of course there is carpet and uneven floors, so a minor adjustment may happen.

So then 6.5 is where you should attempt to keep it?

Ya in my garage the floor definitely isn't level so I've had to mess with it a bit but not nearly as much as some of my other machines which is nice.

#14615 11 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

My game is sold!
What an amazing game, what an amazing team that produced it!
I had the time of my life sorting my game out.
The endless support from API has made the game world class.
Im sure I will miss it.

This makes me want to try all there games!!!! I've only ever played houdini

#14618 11 months ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Correct. 6.5 !
I saw an incident at a tournament that applies to Houdini. It's a tight playfield.
If you take the glass off and raise and lower playfield...Always make sure the 2 forks rest flat into reciever under lock down bar. There are times do to playfield weight, either fork can be just raised a little. Metal on metal lowered playfield into receiver.
Hope that makes sense.

Now I did just adjust my game to 6.5 becuase it was coming in at 6.2 and I did have a heck of a time locking the lock down bar which I've never really had before. Was I doing something wrong? I feel like normally they are kind of idiot proof. Can you explain further what your talking about so it's not soo tight next time I lock it down.

#14619 11 months ago

The game plays the best at about 6.1 to 6.2 degrees.
Then you can dial in the power settings.

OK see this is was I'm talking about. I thought default was 6.5 and I thought most pins where 6.5 on average. But ya a bunch of people are saying lower like 6.1 or 6.2 like your saying. You seem to be the man around here even though you sold your game ha ha so I feel like I should trust ya. Maybe that'll help with the catapult as well.

#14621 11 months ago

The default is 6.0
I found that it plays better at very slightly steeper, like 6.1 to 6.2 but no steeper than 6.2
Steeper than that its hard to get "Everything" to work excatly right.
Too strong of flipper power and you get stage rejects, balls fly off the wireforms etc.
It has to be really close to level horizontally.

Since you are the guy I am trusting you and just releveled it to 6.2, haven't had a chance to mess with the settings yet but I will. But manual I have says 6.5, attached is a screen shot for your reference.

Screenshot_20230507_160329_Microsoft 365 (Office) (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230507_160329_Microsoft 365 (Office) (resized).jpg
#14626 11 months ago
Quoted from Scoot:

If you enjoyed Houdini then you will love Oktoberfest. It is one of my favorites.

The theme isn't my style but I have heard very good things, I would definitely like to atleast play it and check out all the cool features for sure.

3 weeks later
#14648 10 months ago

Guys in test menu it says I have an error and that I should go to switches and so I did and I have trunk lid in red. I feel like the game plays just fine unless it's not doing something and I just don't know what that something is. Is this normal, or should trunk lid be green?

20230530_210512 (resized).jpg20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
#14655 10 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Page 7-158 shows a leaf blade switch. There is a switch test in Houdini. Check it there. I don't have the game to check but it can't be too much. Trunk lid isn't opening ( should be a test for that too ) or switch needs adjusting.
LTG : )

Ok thank you. Whats odd is trunk opens and closes fine. this is the trunk at the top left that the catapult shoots into right?

#14656 10 months ago

Got all green lights in test menu now thank you. Hey should there always be a ball in this little lock spot? I used to always have one there and now I updated my game and it went away.

20230531_171203 (resized).jpg20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#14722 8 months ago

hey guys i know its been discussed on here a whole bunch but Im hoping you guys can direct me to it or reiterate the newest way to get the catapult working correctly, mine shoots way left. It ends up bouncing off the side of the machine and then into the trunk like 50 percent of the time which is cool but i dont believe thats the route it should be taking ha ha. Can you guys help a man out. I looked through here and saw some options but they kind of scared me and I was thinking the newest ideas might be the best now that the machine has been out and been tinkered with a wholeeeee bunch. thanks in advance.

#14726 8 months ago
Quoted from GSones:

My catapult shot was barely hitting the side of the wire ramp next to it so I drilled a new hole in the ramp mounting bracket and moved it to the right. Was pretty easy to do and the shot has been very consistent since. I don't have any pics of the modified bracket but it should be pretty obvious what to do when you look at the game.

my fear would just be drilling a new hole and lining it up correctly so that when I did drill that whole it was right on.

#14727 8 months ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Take some slo-mo video of the launch with your phone camera, this is the best way to determine exactly what's going on. Sometimes the ball can hit the ramp, especially when the coil power on has been turned up too high. If it's really hitting the side of the cabinet directly from the catapult something is SERIOUSLY wrong so I'd try to determine the exact ball-path first. You can do this repeatedly from in the coil settings mode, following the initial setup guide on page 3-20 of the owner's manual: http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2021-10/API-Houdini-Service-Manual-10-6-21.pdf

slow man camera is an amazing idea! Ill try and get that going and check it out to confirm that my eyes are really seeing what i think they are seeing and then I can go from there, thank you!

3 weeks later
#14757 7 months ago
Quoted from rosh:

It ends, because either you passed or failed your final exam. If on factory settings, few players would have the stamina or desire to start back at the beginning.
However, there is an adjustment that will allow you to continue game play.

YOU PEOPLE HAVE REACHED THE FINAL EXAM!!!!!?????? wow!

#14759 7 months ago
Quoted from rosh:

funny thing is, anyone can get there.

how my friend? you make it sounds so easy ha ha

7 months later
#14813 18 days ago
Quoted from Bkrout:

I would like to get a shaker motor for my houdini but can't seem to find any. I can find them for October fest does anyone know if you can use an October fest shaker in a Houdini??

yes find and get a shaker!!!! sooooo friggin cool, when your ball is rattling around in the bumpers and the chains are rattling and the shaker is going it just feels so simple yet so awesome.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sirgubster9.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread?tu=Sirgubster9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.