20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #145 Houdini Pinball initial flyer Posted by HighProtein (7 years ago)

Post #184 Initial reveal at TPF Posted by SilverballNut (7 years ago)

Post #190 Introductory Price of Houdini Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #198 Initial Pictures of Machine Posted by lllvjr (7 years ago)

Post #229 Playfield Close-Up Pics Posted by bigd1979 (7 years ago)

Post #284 Machine feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #312 More feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #385 Double switch lane picture Posted by pinballrockstar (7 years ago)

Post #420 Pinball show appearance schedule for Houdini Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #434 Houdini pics from Allentown show Posted by PinballSTAR (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sebastian88.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10954 3 years ago

5 new sterns and now my first American pinball Houdini. This is the first NIB I didn’t have issues with. Feels really good and I’m a big fan of difficult shot games. Sooooo good looking too. I might like it more than my Elvira. I’m impressed. I’m glad I chose it. Although I’m having ALOT of difficulties updating code.

#10966 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Try removing the version info from the code update package so it just houdini-gamecode.pkg
also, make sure the USB stick does not have a space in its name.
if that does not work, tell me more about what it is doing

Did that all tried different thumb drives well screen goes black when it recognizes that you’ve put a stick in and then it just continues to boot up 18.5 code I formatted the thumb drive I’ve use three different ones I remove the version number as you suggested I did that last night too before I got sent the new code. If you want to call me that be great 267–9 71–2843. I am plugged it directly into the computer thinking it might be the usb cable

#10970 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Are you booting the game with the usb drive installed and with the correct file name for the code? You have to rename the file on the early builds.
Or are you installing the usb stick live and powered up?

Live

#10971 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Does it ever say 'updating code' on screen?
Does it copy anything to the USB stick?

Never says. Goes black. Then boots old code. Can you put it in a USB cable while the game is on or do you have to put it in before you turn the game on?

#10972 3 years ago
Quoted from Sebastian88:

Never says. Goes black. Then boots old code. Can you put it in a USB cable while the game is on or do you have to put it in before you turn the game on?

Nothing I’ve tried to remove the numbers from the name I’ve tried using the version numbers I’ve use different sticks I’ve tried to do with the game off I tried to do with the game on does not recognize anything. I have a Lotta games I’ve just never had this problem doing an update. But quite frankly new out-of-the-box this is had the least amount of issues out of all the games I’ve ever had so I’m pleased it’s just frustrating that I can’t get the code update

#10977 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I usually stick it in after I power on the machine, but it works either way.
If it is seeing the USB, it should put up a screen of some kind, either code updating or that logs were copied and then require you to reboot. If it is not, then the game is not seeing the USB stick.
Try what I said in my last post of doing it directly on the computer.
I can understand your frustration, but we will figure it out.

No I would never knock the game it’s one of the best games I’ve played in a long time I love difficult games. I’m very very very happy. And I would definitely buy another American Pinball company game. I’ve had my eye on it for a couple years but never pulled the trigger. I did plug it directly into the computer by passing the USB cable and it still didn’t work. Do you think I should buy a specific thumb drive. When I put it in the game when it’s powered up the screen goes blank Then there’s some words like HDMI on the screen it stays black for a while and then eventually starts booting up the code that’s already installed that’s all it does even if I plug the thumb drive directly into the computer bypassing the cable. I’ve honestly tried everything you said tell me a thumb drive that you think would work and I’ll go buy it

#10978 3 years ago
Quoted from Sebastian88:

No I would never knock the game it’s one of the best games I’ve played in a long time I love difficult games. I’m very very very happy. And I would definitely buy another American Pinball company game. I’ve had my eye on it for a couple years but never pulled the trigger. I did plug it directly into the computer by passing the USB cable and it still didn’t work. Do you think I should buy a specific thumb drive. When I put it in the game when it’s powered up the screen goes blank Then there’s some words like HDMI on the screen it stays black for a while and then eventually starts booting up the code that’s already installed that’s all it does even if I plug the thumb drive directly into the computer bypassing the cable. I’ve honestly tried everything you said tell me a thumb drive that you think would work and I’ll go buy it

It never gives me the option to update you can tell it’s recognizing that you put the stick in because when it’s in a traction mode and I stick it in cable or the computer it goes black but never updates

#10980 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Could be weak cable.
Pull off the backglass.
Stick the usb drive directly into the computer in tbe head.
Maybe pull the usb cable out first, you will see it plugged in.
If this doesnt work, your filename is incorrect on the USB stick.
The computer will ignore everything except the correct filename.
Try a smaller 8gb usb stick or even and older 4gb usb 2.0 stick

Did the direct into computer thing. My best friend Ted was there with me, he s on pinside too, he does I. T. At university of Penn. I done a the file name changes, file name with version and without, tumb drive in usb cable tumb drive directly into computer. Dave brennon sent me the last beta code today. Still nothing. Tried all of the above with 3 different tumbdrives. Will go to Best Buy and by the ones recommended. After that, I don’t know. Shouldn’t be this difficult. At least my 18.5 version seems to work fine. Played it a lot tonight. Great game. I’m not a quitter I want to fix / solve the issue.

#10995 3 years ago

Josh at American pinball called me and spent approximately 1hr and 10 mins on the phone with me.... trying to trouble shoot my code update problem. It’s the computer. No biggie. So, the game plays great with 18.5 code(or what ever it is) zero issues. They are sending me a new computer. The point is.... AMERICAN PINBALL CO is AWESOME. The game is soooo good looking, difficult( which makes it more fun to play) , and those at the company reallllly care. Look , I love all pinball games for one reason or another but I’m now one of their biggest fans and supporters. My next New in box WILL be another AP pin. It’s just flat out a better built pin and they respond a hell of a lot faster than STERN. Received Sterns first ELVIRA off the line post covid, it’s a good game but Houdini is better. 5 new sterns and 1 AP pin..... time to change that ... THE GAME IS AWESOME AND THEY ARE AWESOME. End of story

#10997 3 years ago

I can’t for the life of me understand why that game isn’t appreciated more. I think if more people bought American Pinball they might realize how much better quality these games are. You can feel it in the game I’m not easily impressed I’ve had my fair share of pinball machines and this one is one of the first in a long time that I really really really was blown away by. And the fact that He Would spend that amount of time on the phone with me be talking pinball and trying to solve the issue was just awesome. He didn’t have to do it and I really really enjoyed the time

#10998 3 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

You guys weren’t kidding...what a solid build on this thing
Good job AP on creating this modern classic with the power switch in the right place
Lookin forward to AP4
[quoted image]

It’s awesome, Isn’t it? I love the fact that it’s not easy. Good looking game too

#11005 3 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Seriously, it pisses you off and makes you keep coming back for revenge.
I can see why snowflakes melt away after a couple games on it
And is that pirate out of the hat a swipe at jjp? Hilarious!

I’m confused. I’m not ripping jjp, or stern. I’m just saying that the game is great, the cabinet is great and the service is great. It’s the first new game I’ve bought (in the last six) that didn’t have major issues. Plus , dealing with stern isn’t so easy. I love all companies that build pinball machines. I’m just saying American pinball seems like the best currently. I would buy another Mark and Pinball before any other companies game based on my recent experience. Although I have to admit, I wouldn’t mind having wizard of oz. I think that game is underrated too. All games will have issues. I get it. But American Pinball seems to be the fastest to respond. And that’s important when you care for your games the way I do

#11006 3 years ago

American pinball. Not mark and pinball. Above post

#11010 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I dont think he was going after you dude, he was agreeing. That the game is hard makes one
Mad and keeps one coming back for more, and those that can't handle that just say the game is bad.

Oh. I see now.

#11011 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

We think alike lol
[quoted image]

We sure do

#11015 3 years ago

Looks awesome. Why the hell do we love our games and gamerooms so much?

#11054 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

The difference between AP and Stern is night and day. I will say that my original AC/DC Prem feels like a tank... but that’s a build from yesteryear. The modern stern build wreaks of cheapness.
AP is paying attention. They’re giving buyers all the niceties they dream about... for some reason, pinball voices (such as Kaneda) have formed opinions from a far with bi actual real world experience. Too bad a voice like that can damage a brand.

Agree. Ap is the best. Night and day compared to a modern day Stern. And I must admit, Houdini does it for me... great game/really enjoyable to play. The difficult shots make it for me. If you want long, flowing, easy shots then go buy Ironman. You will be bored of it in a week.

#11055 3 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

and this is what happened with mine. I got to the point it was so annoying I sold it! I liked the game a lot but with AP not knowing what the flipper issue is and pointing towards different things (my favorite is the voltage in your house! I say this as anyone that has Houdini and has the flipper issue probably has more then one machine and it seems Houdini is the only affected by the voltage coming into the house ) I sold it and bought another game. This also steered me away from buying a Oktoberfest for my local German Club.
Before anyone thinks I am bashing AP I am not. In my opinion Houdini is a great game. I actually like the game a lot but the flipper issue just annoyed the hell out of me. If/when they get this resolved I wouldn't mind getting another one down the road but for now there's too many machines out there that I would prefer over a machine that has a flaw like Houdini does!

Strange... my game plays a great. 5 new sterns and Houdini. No issues. ..... and I’m very observant. Just had to adjust the height of the wire form ramp with1/4 inch nylon spacers so the upper catapult would make it very time.

#11057 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Reporting back for duty....
1. Added the following:
- knocker
- shaker
- side art
- Cliffies
2. Adjustments:
- adjusted 3 switch ball lock. Just had to bend a little. At first, I pushed whole unit towards the pop bumpers and that restricted the pops. Move back and just bent individual switches to get right contact.
- Seance scoop. After playing with power and getting no change, I just used 3 thin washers on one side and now it works 100%. So, rather than bending the scoop, you might want to try using different number of washers to adjust.
3. Complaints:
- Sound seems to be a bit muffled. Not sure I can adjust or if installing a better sub would help.
- I have updated power supply, but like others, the flippers don't seem "snappy" like Stern games. My Willy Wonka also has relatively weak flippers, but not as bad as Houdini
Overall, I'm very pleased and this pin will be staying a long time. I'm leaving room for one more pin.....Jersey Jack...
[quoted image]

Looks really good. My Houdini isn’t leaving. I agree with you on the flippers but all shots can be made. Just broke 2 million on Houdini with factory settings. You just need the flippers I’m mid 20’s power range, not maximum not factory setting. Makes the shots a bit easier so that the ball isn’t flying around.

2 months later
#11599 3 years ago

Houdini is one of the best games I have ever played/or bought. Must raise back wire form ramp a quarter of an inch with nylon spacers in order to get it to work of the time. Feel free to message me and I will show you how

2 months later
#12000 3 years ago

Was there a new code released?????

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sebastian88.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread?tu=Sebastian88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.