20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #145 Houdini Pinball initial flyer Posted by HighProtein (7 years ago)

Post #184 Initial reveal at TPF Posted by SilverballNut (7 years ago)

Post #190 Introductory Price of Houdini Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #198 Initial Pictures of Machine Posted by lllvjr (7 years ago)

Post #229 Playfield Close-Up Pics Posted by bigd1979 (7 years ago)

Post #284 Machine feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #312 More feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #385 Double switch lane picture Posted by pinballrockstar (7 years ago)

Post #420 Pinball show appearance schedule for Houdini Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #434 Houdini pics from Allentown show Posted by PinballSTAR (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RipleYYY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5959 5 years ago

(to follow)

#6070 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Nice score!
Once Houdini is dialed in, it can be brutal at times, wonderful and amazing at others!

but what if Dialed In is Houdini !?

1 month later
#7233 5 years ago

not sure i've got the correct info, but talking about the code, right now, what still need to be done for being complete ? only the final wizard mode ?
(than not talking about polishing & bug correction)
tanx

#7236 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The final wizard mode exists, all mini-wizard modes exist in the latest beta. They are all functional but need a lot of polish - and if you get the final wizard mode, the game resets! But it’s just a bug, I think the last beta was in September, so there is probably a code update on the horizon. I do remember the September beta made the game a LOT more fun, seems like there were a lot of tweaks and small changes that really positively affected gameplay. So hopefully it will be release in full soon!

tanx

#7240 5 years ago

i dont have a HOUDINI (still), but seing guys from the company involved here with their customers is really a good thing !
even more when its (personal feeling) linked with the code evolution...

1 month later
#7610 5 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I tried to catch up on over 400 posts, so I apologize if this has been reported.
I just updated to the new version today. I have not broke 1 million yet.
We invited friends for dinner and pinball. My friend gets over 1 million, then over 1.5 million, then gets all Houdini letters.
He gets the ball into the right hole and gets the master magician multi ball. The screen shows a lot of text.
Multiball starts.
It appears that the flippers get reversed like in the straight jacket right side multi ball. I was trying to explain to him how to flip. He finally started getting the hang of how the flippers were inverted.
I looked up at the screen below the scores was blank. The score scores and shows at the very top. Green writing shows up when things are awarded. But the screen stays blank during this mode.
When he lost the ball, the ball was over and the ball ending screen appeared as normal. Then it let him enter his initials for high score.
I assume this will be fixed in a new version. I have a small video of this if needed. I thought I pressed the record button but didn't until he almost lost the ball. I can post the video if needed.
His final score was over 1.8 million.
Thanks

conclusion is : stop having your friends home to play your pins !!!

(lol inside of course, enjoy pinball with them)

10 months later
#9621 4 years ago

remind me GB...

but here, quite sure this will not last long & break
because the left screw-point is too far from the target (N), letting the plastic to curve & go up, and when too much this should break (let's hope i'm wrong)

2 months later
#9800 4 years ago
Quoted from Looking4FirstPin:

...but am shocked I made it after 3 weeks or so of owning the game...[quoted image]

why being shocked !? because it is supposed to be hard to do ?
even not talking about skillz here, but simply sometimes its "your" day (and most of the time you know/feel it)

my son did beat "last man standing" on TWD after... 1 day we got the pin home !
i've beaten DEADPOOL after only... 5 games !!!
in the other way, we never beat (for example) MET (with old complete code) even having it home for about 1 years...

that's pinball
and that's why is so fun

11 months later
#11828 3 years ago

hi guys... look what just landed home :

IMG_20201217_113353_363 (resized).jpgIMG_20201217_113353_363 (resized).jpg

very 1st game on it seems a good presage...

#11831 3 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

That was your first play ? Holy Smokes !

well, to be honest, i've put 3 or 4 games on it in 2017 when just out, in a tournament...
but nothing more since yesterday

ok, as its HUO, wanna be sure to set it in "factory", than about the outlanes, where are the post ?

it's in the middle hole on the left... suppose thats OK !?
and its on the higher hole position on the right... seems also OK !?

tanx

#11837 3 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

... not that I doubt your skill as a player...

tanx

(and check my tables scores... even if i'm not Keith E.)

#11844 3 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

... better yet - Play blindfolded

so strange you've said that, as here's my son :

and more seriously, we're just around top 1000, nothing incredible

#11846 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I hope there's lightning flippers on that puppy!

its old and gone from time... didnt remember which ones (did get the 2 models) were placed on it as BSD was on my sister house

#11851 3 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

... Might be some of the setting are set very liberal...

and than, as said all was in factory settings, and now i've just set-it up easier, with the "home config", should be better for family & friends... will see

from TILT FORUM WIKI :

SUGGESTED HOME SETTINGS
If you would like a more approachable game for the family and for new to intermediate players try these settings. This configuration allows the player to open the stage by bashing the stage curtain just one time. You also get more time to complete a mode before the mode times out and the crowd “boos” at you. When the jail escape order is from “easy to hard”, it forces you to complete the cities in order.
• Stage Difficulty: Easy
• Stage Mode Timer: 45 to 60 seconds
• King of Cards: 40 to 60 seconds
• Jail Escapes Order: Easy to Hard
• Jail Escapes Difficulty: Easy

#11868 3 years ago

1 week after game landed, and in fact not playing too much (only 42 games for the all family)

IMG_20201225_222456_475 (resized).jpgIMG_20201225_222456_475 (resized).jpg

rosh : as you can see, small display bug, i suppose because there's 2 digits (13) at modes played, and than the others digits are wrong, 1 step to much to the right...

#11891 3 years ago

IMG_20201228_214836_645 (resized).jpgIMG_20201228_214836_645 (resized).jpg

since i got the game, of course did get the ENCORE BONUS, did played the movie wizard, but seems it will be very hard to go to the magician big wizard mode, as collecting 7 letters seems more than hot

#11894 3 years ago

heu... well... just scored this, and only 1 letter was missing to MASTER MAGICIAN
lots of pts caming from the ENCORE BONUS, i was in the 5B+ range and jump to 14B+ ... but honestly dont ask me why/how, i see a "8X" on the screen but !?
than also played & won "great jail escape" (4B+)

Rosh, some code/scoring explanation may be ? tanx

IMG_20201229_163916_972 (resized).jpgIMG_20201229_163916_972 (resized).jpg

#11897 3 years ago

tanx/lol

setup is of course in factory settings, except the few rules as it was "home suggested" on TILT forum

than you've reach MASTER MAGICIAN and "only" scored 2.2M ? seems strange & very low (or may be an old code ?)

#11898 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

heu... well... just scored this, and only 1 letter was missing to MASTER MAGICIAN
lots of pts caming from the ENCORE BONUS, i was in the 5B+ range and jump to 14B+ ... but honestly dont ask me why/how, i see a "8X" on the screen but !?
than also played & won "great jail escape" (4B+)
Rosh, some code/scoring explanation may be ? tanx

ok, than about ENCORE BONUS, its (tanx Josh) : total_points + (avg stage act score * stage acts completed) * stage_multipler

and of course, i've missed, its not billions, but millions

#11905 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

You've some very impressive scores...

tanx, lol, & nice (but i'm still far from the wizard guys level)
yep, i know the story about the no-white wood testing...
what can i say, few shoots are hard but than we (including my son) even make some on the fly
and even these hard shoots, i feel that Houdini is a "friendly" pin, you're not really punished for not making these shoots, outlanes are not eating balls (as last STERNs), rebounds are OK too, than you have time to improve your skill on it (except when the chrono is activated)

btw, you are right about settings, and while i've just entered the tester team (tanx again Josh) + installed the beta code, all have been reset to 100% factory, even the scores

#11912 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

...No loss of power...

well, there is a little bit, i feel it without a doubt, believe me
but this is because coils are becoming hotter while i'm playing (hard)
and it was the same on my oktoberfest (easy to see with shoots to climb ramps), but also AIQ who was here few ago

#11921 3 years ago

Contact @pinmonk and see if his Tibetan breeze flipper coil coolers will fit.
I think they will and will probably order them for both my houdini and R&M.
The flipper collapse problem still exists although to a lesser degree than before with the beta code and capacitor upgrade.
Josh may fix it in the next code release...

than tanx i'm not mad (lol)
what i've said few above is for sure due to the coils temperature...

#11924 3 years ago

great

and happy new year !

#11932 3 years ago

absolutly no prob for 50 games or so, than did get 1 ball stucked under the main ramp, this in a middle of a game, where others balls were passing OK...

it was so soft/tied that i even think : is that possible that 1 of the 6 balls is just a little bigger !!!??? (seems not of course)
or this is part of the Houdini magic ?
but OK, released the ball, continue playing, and nothing bad happends for few more games

than again, another ball there !!! and i think : yes, its again that same 1 ball, should be lol
time to verify : and of course i tried all the 6 balls, and all the 6 were blocked
than, as the catapult metal ramp is perfectly fixed (and not moving), logic was to claim the main plastic ramp "moving" a little
and indeed, even fixed, there's still some space to move, just enough to create this

than easy tweak : a small washer added at 1, and a few bigger (due to the form/curve, to not force and avoid a break) added at 2

3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg

#11958 3 years ago

Houdini is home for near 2 weeks, and i'm very happy to have followed my good intuition

happy new year evbd ! let's hope full of magic

#11987 3 years ago

ouch ! as i'm sure that some people non usual with computers, will go into probs (and format what they doesnt want to)... :/

#11989 3 years ago

i'm disgusted (lol)
as said, pin is fully 100% set back to factory settings since last code (than no more "home suggested" settings)
its indeed harder, while time is shorter to complete missions...

anyway, just had my best so far and it ended in drama :

- great jail escape : ball was lose somewhere, that means lots of time to get it back from ball search (and i didnt win that wizard for just 1 shot, the inner loop of course)
- got ENCORE BONUS ready, and miss it (oh dear)
- and than had all 7 HOUDINI letters collected, than i suppose MASTER MAGICIAN was waiting after the ENCORE BONUS... (oh dear again)
- finally the way i lose my last ball : was on 2 warnings, ball perfect SDTM, didnt move, goes back in play, but than again directly in the middle, this time just a little from the post saver... GAME OVER ! ...

IMG_20210105_194903_102 (resized).jpgIMG_20210105_194903_102 (resized).jpg

#11992 3 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Just to catch back up on your comment Riple, I actually had 2.58M (Grand Champ). Noticed it the other day. I know I took a pic of the screen, but I sure can't find it in Google.

no worry... you'll get a new pic when you'll beat it again

#11993 3 years ago

still in 100% factory
this time with a nice ENCORE BONUS (6M)

IMG_20210106_231932_031 (resized).jpgIMG_20210106_231932_031 (resized).jpg

#11998 3 years ago
Quoted from Freddykaboodle:

Wow, absolutely amazing, would love to see a video of you playing, a man could learn a thing or three...watching you perform....

tanx
but again, i'm just a good player, not a wizard as top guys at IFPA (now 958th, my higher was 179)
and to be honest, i'm myself watching vids of guys like Raymond, Karl DE, Bowen... you will learn a lot watching those

#11999 3 years ago

and OK than, may be some tricks to score on Houdini :

* as lots of pins, try to not start a multiball without first launching a mode
* learn how YOUR game react with bouncing, with simple/easy shoots : just start with shooting left/right lanes and than let the ball rebound on flippers, you may found some good surprises (MILKCAN), again depending on your pin of course
* learn the rules : this seems stupid to say, but again all the top players are knowing perfectly the rules of all pins !!! including easter eggs/secrets...
with Houdini you can take advantage to more than few situations : having "magician choice" available is just not to choose something you like to play, but more choosing something you HAVE to play (as for example : a multiball is ready to start than go for NEEDLES, you wanna get an extra ball without risk of losing the ball than go for KING OF CARDS, need some easy PF multiplicator ? than go for MILKCAN
* Houdini is mainly a "mode game", with a nice gift after having played the 10 modes... but the aim is not to just start these modes and wait the time out by cradling the ball (and than quickly/easily reach ENCORE BONUS), you have to perform well while playing, because at the end, the ENCORE BONUS is linked to how you've played all the modes, the better finish them of course ! and dont forget the last risk/reward : to collect the ENCORE BONUS, dont get it with a direct shoot, but than use the X2 alley
* MAGIC targets : easy to hit, and very usefull when you need a last shoot to complete something...
* secret missions : the 1st thing i do when starting a game is to only start the secret mission, as while in the game you often finish these combos by just playing around... than as soon one is complete, i shoot the scoop to start the next one
* practice the ramp shoot (for me, really hard to hit, in fact more than the inner loop !) : because the combo milkcan+inlane+ramp is may be the more important shoot of this game, the PF multiplicator being a key to great scores

#12001 3 years ago
Quoted from Sebastian88:

Was there a new code released?????

few posts above, Josh make the beta available as new year gift...

#12044 3 years ago
Quoted from MrFancy:

Just “drooped” my flippers and... wow. Wow. Tripled my previous high score within a few games. Suddenly all those tight shots are actually makeable on the fly, you don’t have to trap up every single time. And I also love that it makes it so that you can’t easily post pass from one flipper to the other, so you either have to pick something to shoot at with the right flipper, or try a risky (for me anyway) tap pass. Completely changes the game, I can’t believe it wasn’t designed to be played this way. Wow.

but than alley pass is very easy...

#12048 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

but than alley pass is very easy...

and flippers on mine are set from factory, in perfect alignement with the inlanes, no 1/8 drop

#12052 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I don’t really have any issues making shots except that damn ramp.

same here, its the hardest shot for me... inner loop & milkcan are easier without a doubt

#12077 3 years ago

Prior to the EOS switches, on a super hard hit, my flippers would flat out collapse and require un-pressing and re-pressing the flipper switch to get it back up

yep, i have no EOS, and of course its happening as exposed in this sentence, but honestly, i dont care...

#12078 3 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Knocker is great with the bullet catch!

knocker is fantastic in... oktoberfest !

seems way more less usage on houdini (i dont have it)

#12108 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Yes.
Beat them.

+1

nothing really hard

#12111 3 years ago
Quoted from bbaker2824:

New to the club today. 1st game was epic (for me). Will probably never score that high again. What a fun game!!!
[quoted image]

how much, we cant see !?

and yes, its a fun & very good game... no luck for early haters, they dont know what they're missing today

#12113 3 years ago

and forget to post this, done a few ago, to "hide" the arm pushing/opening the trunk... an easy free DIY mod for Houdini
the choice of the theme cache is personal... i was thinking that the API monkey deserve that place

of course the flying ball is OK on mine to jump on the right open place (and sometime little touches are of course OK too)
your cache must be cut to enter in the box when its closed, and its simply double-face taped under the upper part

IMG_20210105_153650_390 (resized).jpgIMG_20210105_153650_390 (resized).jpg

IMG_20210105_160343_181 (resized).jpgIMG_20210105_160343_181 (resized).jpg

#12146 3 years ago

the various lock/release balls is a (nice) feature of the game, making it less predictabe & than putting some variation in it

#12168 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I'll admit there was a time or two I thought you might have blocked my e-mail address as spam but I'm happy to have been wrong.

lol

#12169 3 years ago

I would like to double flip out of the extra ball animation, Its all I can think of for now.

but this will cause a prob on just 1 situation : if you are playing KING CARDS and reaching the needeed points for an extra ball

than as reported already, let's hope Josh will simply remove that EB animation in that particular mode
because that EB screen takes priority over the video mode for few seconds... it was similar in OF if you were playing the TAPPER, than corrected in latest updates

#12180 3 years ago

just installed, and reach for the 1st time the ULTIMATE SECRET MISSION
now i've seen all 3 mini wizard, only MM remain

#12181 3 years ago

Im talking about the monkey when you get served an extra ball.
Dont get me wrong, I love the poor bandaged monkey animation, Its just funny and perfect!
But when Im on a roll, I would like to be able to bypass it to hold my momentum and get back in the game as fast as possible.
But maybe its just me, lol.

yes, its just you (lol inside of course)

#12194 3 years ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

Finally got to Master Magician. I love this game! Thanks rosh for the latest update

nice ! and how to not love this game ?

more than busy, it was +/- 2 weeks that i havent played my Houdini
than yesterday did install the new code, played just 1 game, scored 4.6, and than get this cool feeling saying in my head : "oh dear, this pin is great !!!"

#12219 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Sneak peek of my homemade topper. I used the stock Houdini bumper caps connected with a chain and a dry mounted poster. Powdercoated base and aluminum channels. Two Comet LED strips on the way to light everything up (red curtains and sunlight white on the front). I need a channel at the top, but otherwise I’m pretty happy with it.
[quoted image][quoted image]

nice ! but than, how your bumpers are looking now ? can you show a pic...

#12222 3 years ago
Quoted from archimandrite:

Under both 19.4.7 and 21.01.21 I have, on occasion, locked three balls and trunk multiball did not start. What might cause this, and is there a way to trigger the multiball later?
Thanks.

what do you mean with "did not start" ?

at all ? while game goes on ?
or nothing happends until ball search and than multiball begin ?

#12224 3 years ago
Quoted from cnuts13:

Do I need to unzip file for new update code? Or just download and plug in

just download and plug in
let the ***.pkg as it is

#12229 3 years ago
Quoted from archimandrite:

Never started at all. Most of the time it works fine.

ok... than next ask :

on the screen, did you than had the animation "ball 3 locked" & "trunk multiball" ?
if yes that should means switches are ok, than more a code prob...
if no, seems more a switch issue...

next is for Joe/Josh

#12243 3 years ago

just scored 14M+

again, most points came from ENCORE BONUS (with 8 modes won out of 10, few in X2 scoring), than take a risk at last ball to shoot the stage thrue the X2 lane... grab 9M+

(last code, and of course in factory settings)

IMG_20210125_203655_027 (resized).jpgIMG_20210125_203655_027 (resized).jpg

#12247 3 years ago

well, not sure if i can say, but...

IMG_20210125_222027_753 (resized).jpgIMG_20210125_222027_753 (resized).jpg

now i'll stop playing for tonight

again, pts came from ENCORE BONUS, this time 16M+ !!!
and my real prob (...) is the ramp, toughest shot for me on Houdini, i very rarely complete the ELEPHANT mode, and here i miss the MOVIE BINGE for just 1 shot, of course the ramp one

rosh : got again the mode level 2 bug, and again it was with MILK CAN
same as last time : once it bugged, waited for ball search, than could play my last 2 balls (1 EB & ball 3) without having the stage available, it remain close until the end of the game

the comma bug in stats screen is there again (lol), while pts per sec are 11098

#12249 3 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

NICE shooting ripleyyy !! I have been using your strategy on shooting the encore shot through the stage alley and it pays off big.I have my settings on easy and can get to MM, but my best score is half of yours. Kudos!

tanx...
and i've already checked your submited scores, great ones without a doubt
i suppose you're a tournament player too ? if yes, who ?

also seen your setup above, better put them all in factory, you have enough skill lol
or than i'll set mine on easy to see/play MM loooooooooooooool

#12255 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I believe it is 12v GI, so when replacing GI bulbs be sure to check voltage

talking about this (GI, bulbs & voltage), i already just replace the one on the spot in front of the trunk (than with a flash one), and notice that seems always ON on attract mode... what about having these being ON/OFF by sequences, to reduce the chance to burn them !? tanx

#12258 3 years ago

lose from the factory...

#12286 3 years ago

funny conversation... as few days ago was thinking to add an intermediate (but not moving) curtain between the screen & the glass, just on the 2 sides, to make the feeling deeper more close to a 3D thing

#12311 3 years ago

yes... erase that (lol)

2 weeks later
#12377 3 years ago

Josh, feedback done already, but again, something to know about the "warnings" would be more than nice...

1 week later
#12388 3 years ago

and finally made it to collect the 7 Houdini letters... except i never could put the ball in the (closed) theatre, due to the "milkcan bug level 2" ...
2 extras balls remaining when happened, that means big frustration tonight (but OK, there're things more important in life ! lol )

IMG_20210223_221520_724 (resized).jpgIMG_20210223_221520_724 (resized).jpg

#12417 3 years ago
Quoted from Thwacko:

I ran coil tests, and sure enough the trunk lid and the subway release won't fire when tested. All the coils marked A6-B1-0 and up will not fire when tested.

got this 3 weeks ago, it was the fuse (the right one & up, in front of you when PF is up)

1 week later
#12438 3 years ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

One thing I noticed and I'm wondering if it's a code or switch problem? When the hat mystery award is lit and I'm one letter away from spelling 'escape' and the ball falls into the mystery hole spotting an 'escape' letter. I'm getting the call out that the jail is now ready, then it goes to mystery award and if I double flip to skip the animation it then immediately starts a jail escape. So, it falls into the hole qualifying it and starting it? That can't be right. I'm pretty sure if I don't double flip to skip the mystery then it won't auto start jail escape. Anyone think I may have a switch issue in the subway? Or is this a code bug?

Josh will surelly reply...
but i'll pay attention to this next time i'll play Houdini

#12442 3 years ago

i confirm the prob Josh, just get it few minutes ago (while paying attention) :

got 5 ESCAPE letters, ball goes in upper hole, it gives me the last letter, get the scene saying the jail was than ready, get the MYSTERY sequence, and than get the jail escape starting, while ball came back from the scoop

#12443 3 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

This is exactly the kind of hands on, involved approach that API has demonstrated to their customers that has convinced me to start looking for an Oktoberfest for sale in my area. Keep up the great support Josh!

as lots of customers i think
this is for sure a very important point

and dont hesitate to go for OF, its a very good & fun pin, with a lot to offer

#12447 3 years ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

Do you know if you skipped the hat animation with double flip? I'm going to recreate with and without skipping the animation.

i know i didnt skip the animation
this one is an easy bug to recreate without the glass...

#12455 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

A questions for owners who have enabled (currently or in the past) 'Stage Front Eject' . . .
While it is only used in a few places, how well does it work on your machine as far as successfully ejecting out the front? most of the time, some of the time or practically never?

as said already in PM, i never activate that option before... from today i'm than at 2 OK out of 3
back (much) later with higher stats

#12457 3 years ago

tonight, my son best on our Houdini, including mini wizard movie, mini wizard escape, et big wizard master magician (but didnt beat it)
all in all, not enough to put his name in
that also (seems to) means that the ENCORE BONUS is the way to go to score very big (of course including playing well the modes)

anto (resized).jpganto (resized).jpg

#12459 3 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

That's an impressive score! Beats the hell out of mine, that's for sure. Looking at the completion stats, it shows how hard it is to pick up the combo modes. Two is my usual number with occasional foreys into three. The times that I cleanly shoot the perfect combo only to realize I didn't have it lit really is crushing to my pinball spirit and drives me to "one more game".

yep... just checked when i've scored 25M, and than "only" 2 secrets missions on that game
may be its just you (and me lol), we're simply not playing these... and its an error because some easy points are in there

back to general talks, about the MASTER MAGICIAN WM, my son feedback told me that it was more than hard to just control/play it (while flippers are inverted-inverted)
wanna try myself, than this morning set our pin on EASY to collect letters, and reach it too : i confirm that i was completly braindead playing like this...

than a simple ask : who did fully beat this pin ? (i mean on factory settings)
or than, who knows a guy who did it ? is this the Magician Houd-alinor ??? loooooooooooooooooooooool

#12465 3 years ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

I don’t think I’ve ever had an air all come to rest on top of a pop bumper before.
[quoted image]

wow ! thats the mega-aka-super-skillshot !

#12467 3 years ago

wow (again) ! never seen this on mine...
how/from where did you get the ball there ? rebound ? clash with another ball ?

#12471 3 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

I've had it happen once. As best I can recall, the ball rebounded off the targets and landed there. Had to slide the glass down, knock it free and take the drain. I'm positive that this is the only reason that I didn't get 25 million for that game. Yeah, that sounds plausible.
Joking aside, for the next round of code updates, Josh might want to add a cycling of the pops to the the ball search function as I don't think it currently does that.
[quoted image]

i think that its simply impossible to score 25M on Houdini...

#12473 3 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

UPDATE: This happend after Encore, and Josh has fixed it for next release......I have encountered a milkcan bug late in high-scoring games 3 times on the latest software. As soon as I start milkcan mode, the game freezes, does a ball search, stops all music and the mode stays active indefinitely even if completed. After losing the ball, the game ends.

welcome to the club ! i'm feeling less alone...
in my case, game didnt ends, i could play remaining balls, but with no access to the stage

#12478 3 years ago
Quoted from Vegas9:

If you’re interested in helping...

will do

Quoted from PhantomO:

UPDATE: This happend after Encore, and Josh has fixed it for next release...

tested, now works OK

#12480 3 years ago

too funny... as not only testing new beta code, i wanna try to get a "good" game on Houdini to put available on the net, this trying to record with "poor man" 2 phones... and of course what have to happend did happend ! i did reach MASTER MAGICIAN (didnt beat it)

will try now to rebuild something i could share, but not sure about the result, this will not contest in the twipy pinball awards ! looooooooooooool
dont be afraid Jack...

ok, back later, hoping with something i can propose

#12484 3 years ago

great you are sharing this beta here, evbd can than be involved in your query for stats... but not only with few others nice things

and than, to follow my previous post, here's my afternoon game
almost we have now a good/long gameplay to see on Houdini, but than sorry for the quality of the recording (as explained already)

#12485 3 years ago

having a ball stucked (again) at the planchet
before it was between the cable and the cabinet, easy to correct while just moving the planchet to the left, here it was really annoying while in multiball and didnt noticed it until i was only playing with 1 ball on the playfield, but still in multiball...

than, to avoid this :

0 (resized).jpg0 (resized).jpg

i've made this, easy DIY, takes 5 minutes, using a STERN transparent post (need to force/screw in a little, in fact perfect to stay in place), and a 1 1/2 rubber... this trick could be usefull for those having Houdini in location

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg

2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg

3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg

#12504 3 years ago

still working very nice here, i stay on just 1 miss out of 20...

#12507 3 years ago
Quoted from amazing_egghead:

This is my first post to Pinside’s Houdini threads, so please forgive me if I missed anything. What an amazing community this is!
Here’s my question: I bought a new Houdini pin in December, I absolutely love it, and I’m wondering if it has a battery that I will need to change; if so, where is it?
I don’t see any info about this in the owner’s manual...

let's admit i've never checked, but than, as it's a computer motherboard, shoud be a 2032...
but dont think about that now, you have more than time

and btw, welcome

#12509 3 years ago

PINSIDE is back right in time, as i've just scored this :

55M (resized).jpg55M (resized).jpg

#12515 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Good Lord. I didn’t know the game could go that high

than we are almost 2 !!! lol

#12516 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Possibly dumb question... my Return From Beyond and Escape Death features don’t work when lit. The ball drains and that’s the end of the ball. Am I missing a setting or something?

you mean "not always" working, right !?
than already reported to Josh, i experienced that too, but while playing really hard to understand what is going on (of course considering the switches are 100% working)

#12523 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I don’t think I’ve started either mode since the last code update. The insert is lit on both sides, I drain, and nothing. Weird.

well than, again, you're sure that switches are 100% working ?
if yes, than its strange, as OK, sometimes i also see these not reacting, but mainly they are

#12568 3 years ago

as a harcore player (...) with only 1 pinball home, im may be playing to deep/to quick/to much
i've than swaped my Houdini today (versus a Star Wars PRO), after few monthes of real pleasure
for sure i still was enjoying it a lot, but in the same time wanted to discover something new
than really great pin for sure, but not only, as also the fans here, while not forgetting the API team/friends

last word to Josh for having reading me a lot, i know that sometimes it may have been a real pain (lol)
soon or later i'll be back to API, with Hot Wheels, or even your next game

#12570 3 years ago

lol... and than only 1 place in the garage for a pinball

1 week later
#12596 2 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Finally getting this dialed in[quoted image]

not bad young padawan, but the road is still long...

2 months later
#12730 2 years ago

ghostbusters
and does alien is for the alien pin, seems more linked to AFM/RFM (Rosh will tell)

1 week later
#12789 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I just happened upon this recent (7/2/21) video of Jack Danger streaming Houdini, it's not terribly informative for someone trying to learn the game because Jack is "just chatting" and doesn't really know the game...

may be i can redo an explicative (with adding text on screen) video of mine, but with this angle not sure it will really help !?

1 week later
#12820 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

It's a fun, challenging video mode that people seem to have a pretty difficult time picking up the first few times. Admittedly I've had my game for years and play the hell out of it but I'm still surprised how much people that don't play it regularly struggle to do well at it. I have also said this before but I think the scoring for this mode is way too high compared to most of the other illusions in the latest code, it's easy for me to get 200-300K points or more and an extra ball so if I have magicians choice and I've not played it yet I almost never choose anything else.

at the end, i also always get an EB with it... became easy in some way, but its only because you play it again & again, logical of course

1 week later
#12902 2 years ago
Quoted from splitcms:

I just ordered a Houdini today. Never played an American pinball game before but American pinball seems like a good company and I’d like to start giving them my business. Excited to play it and potentially buy Oktoberfest next.

we must be lots of guys doing like that with AP, and i dont see one customer not being happy !
i've gone the other way, 1st OF, than Houdini, and of course HW is now on my wishlist

6 months later
#13671 2 years ago

i was at 12 sec

#13674 2 years ago
Quoted from DropGems:

Pwn3d! Jk. Your high scores are legit af man. I got 20 secs on handcuff escape. I see on your scores post you said ramp is the hardest shot for you to hit, same here. I can hit everything except for the ramp lol.

on mine, the ramp prob was mainly not enough power, i clean/perfect shoot on the fly was needed
simple solution would have been to set more power on flippers, but than it would have been to much for all others situations :/ and also, Houdini is not a "fast" pin by design...

i'm missing mine, a fantastic pinball for sure

1 month later
#13717 2 years ago

oh dear

houdini (resized).JPGhoudini (resized).JPG

#13721 2 years ago
Quoted from Freddykaboodle:

The poor chap has bent his target, one positive is he has a wider alley to shoot….ha…

you got it and i'm sure this was done on purpose :/

(i see this pin for sale in my area)

#13726 2 years ago

well, i'm a bit stunned to see some liking that idea !? but OK, finally everybody as he wants

it was from factory on mine, and that catapult shot is hard at first, i admit, but he quickly became makable when you have the pin home

3 weeks later
#13787 2 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

but that milk can shot was rough

its not...

but ok, yes, it is !!!

#13794 2 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

Certainly not impossible but I did find it to be the hardest shot on the game. Did you ever play around with back flipping it?

ouch, didnt remember (lol)

but than just asked my son (young brain !!! relol), he confirm that yes we could made it, while cradling the ball, than little flip to get the ball rolling/climbing on the flipper, and when high enough & coming back, back flip in the milkcan

1 week later
#13812 2 years ago

curved works 200% with Houdini !
and lets admit, much less for Hotwheels

1 month later
#13892 1 year ago

prost !
oups, we're not in the OF topic (lol)

3 weeks later
#13930 1 year ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Hi. There's a Houdini on location near me. I'm curious about one detail on the machine. It has side by side switches on the left loop, which I've never seen before. One of them is low, likely too low for the ball to activate it. Is there a game function that raises one switch and lowers the other? Or is this switch just broken?[quoted image]

already explained, lane was too large there, and than with 1 switch only it was not always registering the ball, than they added another one...
to reply your ask, these 2 are there for the same purpose, no difference

#13943 1 year ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

Is this normal behavior? Every time I flip a flipper the screen changes on the theater.
It does it while the ball is in play

heu... may be i've forgotten, but no !

this should only happends when you put the ball in the theatre while having the choice of the mode available...

#13952 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

This is normal behavior and it's intentional so that you can essentially choose what illusion you want to start, if you have control of the ball and you know the next shot is going to open the theatre. You just flip past the one you want by one and then when you flip to hit the theatre it's on the illusion you want when the ball hits it and opens it

i've than forgotten that !?
that's ok

2 months later
#14249 1 year ago

wow !

in factory settings, i often get the EB, but nothing more

3 weeks later
#14294 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I’m in the club!!! After my fourth full game I spelled Houdini and got to master magician BUT…the game bugged out after the first wiz mode inverted flipper wave and went into an unfruitful ball search. I had to pull the glass off and launch a ball by hand while the mode was still running. When it hurt the shooter lane switch it ended my game!!!! Akkkkk!!! It’s this a known bug? Maybe I’m running on old code? I’ve has the game for under 24 hrs. Really loving it so far! Although I do shudder to think what my 4.6 billion score COULD have been.
[quoted image]

seems strange while its very low on points for having reached MM !? (my high is 55M)
than check the code & if all is set to factory (but i'm quite sure you've done it already)

2 months later
#14386 1 year ago

and for what i remember, i think you have a setup to release the balls on every game (or it was Oktoberfest !?)

#14391 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

The release of balls at end of game is an Oktoberfest feature...

tanx
almost i know i'm not fool (just a bit old ! lol !!!)

2 months later
#14526 1 year ago

+1

unfortunatley, i have only 1 place home, than i have to swap pins, but Houdini will remain high on my list (for now, only DI is rating above), its a very good pinball for sure, tribute AP !

5 months later
#14751 7 months ago
Quoted from cliffordpd:

Why does the game end after the final wizard mode? Is there a setting for this feature somewhere?

and than, did you beat it ? if yes, congrats !

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RipleYYY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread?tu=RipleYYY and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.