20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #145 Houdini Pinball initial flyer Posted by HighProtein (7 years ago)

Post #184 Initial reveal at TPF Posted by SilverballNut (7 years ago)

Post #190 Introductory Price of Houdini Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #198 Initial Pictures of Machine Posted by lllvjr (7 years ago)

Post #229 Playfield Close-Up Pics Posted by bigd1979 (7 years ago)

Post #284 Machine feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #312 More feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #385 Double switch lane picture Posted by pinballrockstar (7 years ago)

Post #420 Pinball show appearance schedule for Houdini Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #434 Houdini pics from Allentown show Posted by PinballSTAR (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GSones.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2848 6 years ago

Thanks for the good high-res playfield pics. My wife and I really want to pick up one of these and the pictures aren't doing anything to help with my problem ha ha.

1 week later
#3008 6 years ago

Just put my deposit down a few hours ago. Can't wait to become a member of the club! Apparently the shaker motor is now available so I included that along with the picture blades with my order.

1 month later
#3976 5 years ago

I got my shaker motor installed this weekend and I really like the way it is incorporated into the game. The pop bumpers were already dramatic looking but this now puts them over the top. When installing the Shaker Motor, I found it a bit tough to mount the two screws that are located right against the left side of the cabinet until I remembered an old trick, put a tiny drop of super glue on the socket and lightly glue the fastener to it. This will keep the screw attached to the socket while you get it threaded. Afterwards, you just break it free (hence the TINY drop of super glue). Worked great for getting the two inside screws installed.

A suggestion for American Pinball would be to add a more detailed view in the installation instructions of the exact connection on the board where the Shaker Motor wiring harness plugs into. The view in the instructions was a photo taken from several feet away and wasn’t too clear. I was able to figure it out but it could have been a bit more detailed.

One additional idea for integrating the Shaker Motor into the game would be to tie it to the spinner shots (similar to how it is done with AC/DC). Maybe just during the waterwheel film mode if shaking for every spinner shot is too much.

These are just minor, nit-picky details and I really appreciate how hard the folks at American Pinball are working to sort out any small manufacturing and code adjustments. Keep up the great work.

#3980 5 years ago

I just got mine last week and I'm serial number 1245 (game #245).

#3983 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

I thought this was a couple good shots of the board and connections. Am I wrong? Let me know and I will get some better pictures.

Barry,
My instructions that came with the motor were in black and white but the color pictures in your post are definitely easier to make out the details. I was thinking a straight shot directly looking at the board or a line drawing (similar to what Rdoyle1978 was talking about) would have been handy to have. Between my old eyes, bad lighting and getting access to the inside of the cabinet, I was fighting an uphill battle

1 week later
#4174 5 years ago

Well it finally happened... I broke a million in points. I was so excited that I had to drag my wife over to witness the spectacular event. Unfortunately a few games later my right flipper return spring also broke... After a bit of investigating, it appears that the flipper had too much up and down motion and was causing the plunger in the coil to bind a bit and the spring became over-stressed. Has anybody else had any issues like this?

#4177 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Shouldn't have mattered. If it broke on the end loop, these pictures will help you get going. You can get new springs if you don't have any as spares.
Here is a video using a flipper spacer gauge if you want to set how high or low the flipper bat rides. Not on a Houdini, but same principle :

If you don't have the official flipper spacer gauge, a business card works too, cut a notch in it.
LTG : )

The loop on one end the spring broke off. I dug around in my spare parts and found one that was close enough to get by for a bit but I want to change it out for the proper one. Thanks for the emergency work-around LTG in case I need to use it in the future. When I reset the flipper bat I used an official flipper spacer gauge (from Marco) to re-gap it. So far everything is working fine.

I'm really enjoying the game and have been playing the heck out of it for the past 2 weeks. Digging deeper and deeper into the rules and seeing new modes and animations that I haven't come across before has been a blast.

#4244 5 years ago

My favorite call-out (so far) is during the jail break where he threatens to beat you with his shillelagh. My wife and I have now adopted this phrase especially when the game is extra brutal.

1 month later
#5172 5 years ago

Updated the code and now for two player and beyond, the game resets at the end of ball three. This has never happened before with the previous code. Has anyone else had this happen?

#5178 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

So Ball 3 Player 2 ends and it resets?

Yes. Single player works fine but 2 or more player games reset as it's going to the screen that shows the scores and times played.

#5193 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

if it gets fully released 18.5.5, but it won't yet have that on the end of the file name, too many people would not have upgraded yet. That link is direct to the code package.
Once I get confirmation from someone who has seen the issue that it stops it from crashing, I'll release it.

I'll give the new code update a try a bit later today. Thanks for the quick response!

#5194 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

if it gets fully released 18.5.5, but it won't yet have that on the end of the file name, too many people would not have upgraded yet. That link is direct to the code package.
Once I get confirmation from someone who has seen the issue that it stops it from crashing, I'll release it.

I updated the code with this new one and it is working as it should. I tried 1,2,3 & 4 player games and the rebooting after the last ball didn't occur at all. I played each game normally (eg I didn't just drain the ball as quickly as possible) to simulate actual gameplay as closely as possible. I also did not make any setting changes or mods before installing this new code.

Hats off to Josh for taking care of this so quickly on a Sunday morning. This rapid, personal Pinside attention that API demonstrates was one of the deciding factors that made me feel confident about buying a game from a new company.

1 week later
#5377 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Trunk catapult shot varies greatly. The amount of tolerance is too great and I don't think power supply stabilization will fix it fully.
Sometimes the ball banks off back wall inside trunk. This is sweet spot and might work 5 x in row. Then it starts hitting back panel of game 3 inches to left for maybe x 10 times. Then it switches an inch to right but falling short of front trunk wall and hits the corner.
So throwing arm needs less movement and spoon should rotate slightly to be adjustable. Another option is mount a magnet behind trunk and tie into mode.

I think part of the problem is that the plastic spoon is too flexible.

My understanding is that it is the same part that was used for Williams catapults but these were for shorter or less demanding shots. Perhaps the spoon could be redesigned to have a thicker or reinforced arm and thus be more rigid (side-to-side) to assist with left or right misses. Additionally, rather than relying on the loose plastic pivot, a tighter toleranced bronze bushing could be installed that would fit the pivot shaft more closely and thus also assist the left-right misses.

There are many 3D printer materials that are now readily available (metalic as well as plastics) that the spoon could be made from and this manufacturing process wouldn't require new, expensive injection molds.

Perhaps this would be a good area for a creative third party modder to investigate.

3 weeks later
#5732 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

My trunk catapult shot was pretty consistently veering to the left, deflecting off the clear plastic ramp. I had a 72% success ratio. So I decided to move the ramp to the right, out of the way. The alternative was to shift the catapult, but that seemed risky because the playfield cutout for the catapult arm is so precise. I unscrewed the ramp at the two posts closest to its exit, and the ramp naturally shifted to the right without me pushing on it. I tested this location and the trunk shot immediately worked 100% fine. So I carefully drilled two new screw holes to the left of the originals and reinstalled the ramp. The trunk shots are now 90% accurate. A power modulation solution may make this drastic mod unnecessary, but I went ahead and am comfortable with it, though I dislike defacing playfield plastics. I will order a mint ramp to save for future use if needed.
[quoted image]

I've been considering this modification as well. My catapult has been missing to the left and I believe part of the problem is the ball hitting the edge of the ramp when launched. There was also a post a while back about the catapult scoop hitting the edge of the playfield cutout (on the upper left edge of the scoop). The poster trimmed of a little bit of the scoop to allow more clearance between it and the cutout. I don't recall if this totally fixed his problem but this may also be a contributing factor.

4 weeks later
#6332 5 years ago
Quoted from tatapolus:

My catapult went from 100 % success rate during the first couple days to a "not making the shot at all" fail rate. I am trying everything. Cleaning, bending, adjusting… it's weird. I don't see any pattern so far.

Check out post #5727. At first my catapult shot was making the trunk shot 95% of the time. Then, seemingly for no reason, it started becoming more inconsistent and shooting to the left. I tried moving the catapult assembly around, cleaning etc but it didn't help for more than a game or two. I downloaded a "slow motion" app for my phone and noticed that the ball seemed to be deflecting off the side of the ramp. I drilled new holes in the ramp (per post #5727) and the ramp easily moved 1/8" - 3/16" to the right. As a matter of fact, when the ramp was in its original location it was under load and when unscrewed it sprung over to its new location.

It took 10-15 minutes to correct after I diagnosed the problem and since moving the ramp (aprox 150 games ago) I don't think it has missed more than once or twice.

3 weeks later
#6701 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

ATTENTION!
Houdini is now in it's final phase of production, 45 more games until we switch the line over to Oktoberfest...
If you have been waiting to get your Houdini, the time is now. Contact an authorized distributor and buy it now!

Barry,
Just curious but what will the total production number be for Houdini?

#6754 5 years ago

I checked my Houdini stats yesterday and since mid-May I've got 1480 games on my home-use Houdini. I got to wondering if this was more, less or about average with everyone else.

Looking ahead, when will API (or someone else) start offering a rubber kit for Houdini. I probably have enough extras laying around but I like the convenience of having everything in one package.

#6890 5 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Did anyone ever figure out how to use the $150 rebate code?

I just typed the handwritten code that was included with the power supply into the "code" area of the API website (when checking out) and it deducted the price of the knocker. I still had to kick in a few bucks for shipping to complete the transaction.

#6895 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Thanks for the input everyone! I'm definitely grabbing the power supply as soon as I register my game tomorrow or the next day!
Curious, what's the EOS kit do?
And I've got two cats, albeit older, and wanted to cover the playfield with a material when I'm not using it, just in case one of them hops onto the glass. Are there any recommendations for non scratch material or while I'm at UV proof? Would fleece work okay?

My cat always liked to lay on the glass. Bally's were his favorite since there wasn't too much slope but I think Houdini would be a bit too steep for proper cat sleeping. Unfortunately, he's not around anymore for me to ask.

Ike_on_pinball (resized).jpgIke_on_pinball (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#7414 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

The Houdini chant is being added in this new release that some of you are testing. When you hear it, it means you have performed all 10 stage acts, and a shot back into the stage will award you the 'encore bonus'. The bonus was introduced in the last main release, this just gives it the pomp and circumstance it deserves.

I get excited when I make 3 stage acts so I guess It'll be a long time before I hear any chanting. That's one of the reasons I like Houdini for the home - I won't run out of new stuff to complete for ages and ages.

1 month later
#7737 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

My trunk shot worked well before the upgrade. Although when I was in a multiball things would bog down. I once had 4 balls in the scoop trying to get out and they just couldn't make it.. I thought OMG I'll have to open up and retrieve them, but as things settled down they finally made it out. I feel the upgrade has helped this problem.
When I put the new power supply in my trunk shot didn't work. At 26 power it hit the front of the trunk and some times made it in.At 27 it was wild over the top. So I adjusted the pot on the power supply to 49.1 volts and at the 26 coil power rating I hit every time.

I didn't know there was an adjustment on the new power supply. This is good to know in case I start having issues like you describe (so far my trunk shot has been 100% reliable since the upgrade).

#7739 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I wonder if Josh could implement half steps on the coil strength for the catapult so you wouldn't have to adjust the power supply like that.

That would be nice. I've found that some of the coil strength adjustments could use a bit more incremental fine-tuning (especially on the trunk catapult, up-kickers etc.)

#7746 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

It is indexed with smaller incremental changes in the middle then at the low and high end, but I'll take a look at adding half steps.

Unfortunately this is not an easy thing to do, since it would require changing how the coils are operated. I am looking at experimenting with this on one coil, and if it works, it is possible I will make this available on a handful of coils. Again, since it changes the behavior of how the coil operates there could be side effects that make this less desirable. One change we made on Oktoberfest was to move most of the coils to a lower power coil which gives a little more control over the coil power settings.

Downside to high is that it does slow game play a touch more, as the ball gets 'grabbed' more/longer, but can be a cooler effect. Under heavy game play (e.g. long and frequency seances) it will heat the magnets and playfield more, and hard to know if there are a long term implications to that. Not something I would worry about at home, but at a busy location, I would stay away from 'high'.

Thanks for the info Josh. This was definitely something that I hadn't considered. Yet again another example of why I purchased Houdini, the excellent and fast customer service.

2 weeks later
#7874 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I think I found the culprit...this sucker is suck in there and doesn't want to come out. Wonder if the servo is not working?
[quoted image]

I'm not 100% sure but I think that ball is permanently mounted there. If my memory serves, it was supposed to be part of an illusion where the ball would appear at the stage and then disappear. The illusion was changed but the ball is still part of the stage assembly.

#7927 5 years ago

The power supply upgrade wasn't too hard to do except that the API supplied connector (wall nut) was crap.

I stripped the wire insulation back just as instructed but the stranded wire kept bunching up and not going properly into the connector (the wire gauge is too small - the wall nut would have worked great for heavier gauge wire). When I did get the wires into the wall nut, they didn't grip well and would easily come out with just a little bit of pulling. Not great for the main power supply for the game. I wound up soldering the leads together and then shrink-wrapping the bundle.

BTW, if you are going to install the knocker do it at the same time as the power supply upgrade as this is where the knocker gets its power. I didn't realize this until after I got the power supply wiring all buttoned up. I then had to remove the shrink-wrap and solder the knocker lead to the bundle. If the wall nut had worked out this would have been easy but such is pinball...

For what it's worth, the knocker has proven to be a great addition so it was ultimately worth the effort.

#7935 5 years ago

Here's a bad pic but I moved the new power supply a little forward and rotated it slightly. This allowed me to get three brackets screwed to the bottom of the cabinet (circled in red in the pic). Not the prettiest install but it's solid.

To get access to the back of the cabinet I stacked boxes in front of the coin door and pulled the playfield as far as it would go to rest the yellow stands on the boxes. This gave me just enough room to work.

IMG_20190204_182706 (resized).jpgIMG_20190204_182706 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#8246 5 years ago

Yet again another reason I’m so happy with API and Houdini.

Last night I was playing Houdini and one of the pop bumpers fell over. Turned off the game and popped the hood to investigate. Turned out that the 2 screws that attach the pop bumper top to the mechanism had broken. Not a big deal, stuff happens.

Contacted Barry at API this morning and within minutes he responded back and the parts are on their way to me. Outstanding service yet again from API and Barry! This is one of the reasons my wife and I are really looking forward to checking out Oktoberfest at TPF and perhaps picking up one.

Houdini broken pop bumper rods (resized).jpgHoudini broken pop bumper rods (resized).jpg
#8262 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Back in college was at opening night for a new bar, it was 6 for 1, did 6 shots of Tequila in less than a half hour, and this was back before I knew to drink quality stuff, only time I have ever gotten sick from booze.

The ones on Oktoberfest are better quality, and they are also included, so not like you need to worry about buying and installing them.

You might have you coil strength on the pops a touch too high or did you put real chains on the locks mounted on top?

Haven't changed the pop coil strength from factory (can't recall the setting off hand). Everything was working fine until the top of the pop went plop (good rhyming skills here). Probably have about 2000 games on it at this point. No complaints here. It'll be an easy fix once the new parts show up. BTW, these were the chains I was considering replacing the plastic ones with. Do you see any problem with them?

chains (resized).jpgchains (resized).jpg
#8317 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

The bios is not right, you will need to hook up a keyboard, you can use the USB extension cable to plug one in. I don't recall the exact sequence, so, get set up and I'll PM you shortly with the instructions. I need to find a keyboard to plug into mine.
I've sent the message, let me know if you need further assistance

Yet another example of API's commitment to their games and the community. Way to go Josh!

#8409 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I suggest that everyone with a Houdini check their pop bumper plunger rings to make sure they are tight. After looking at the above post, I checked and found one to be very loose, a second to be a little loose and the third was tight. If they are loose you need to tighten them back up from above by simply tightening the screws on the top of the "caps". This will tighten the whole stack assembly. Fortunately this can be done from above without removing any components and only takes a minute. Hopefully with them tight, they won't break... Not sure it would be a great idea to put Loctite in here in case it ever needs to be taken apart, but a tiny dab might be just what is needed to prevent this from happening.

Good advice to check the other pop bumper plunger rings. After fixing my broken one, I checked the other two and 3 of the 4 screws were loose. I pulled each one apart, polished the underside of the ring and put a small dab of blue Loctite (#242) where the hex shaft meets the pop bumper "nail". Be careful not to over tighten them as the threaded end is a little delicate. Thanks again to Barry and API for getting my replacement parts sent out so quickly.

Houdini_Pop_Bumper_Ring (resized).jpgHoudini_Pop_Bumper_Ring (resized).jpg
1 month later
#8926 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Appreciate the info .... now all I need is a 3D Printer
and yeah agree...where the mod sets you have to be very careful when raising the playfield for which I am.
Thanks again for the info!

You don't need to own a 3D printer. You can use a company like shapeways (https://www.shapeways.com/) to print it for you. The cost is pretty reasonable for a one-off item when you provide the 3D model.

1 month later
#9054 4 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

I hate those wall nuts. I used a molex connector with jumpers where I can add future loads[quoted image]

I agree, the wall nuts were crap. I wound up soldering the wires together and shrink wrapping them. Didn't want any issues with the main power to the game.

2 weeks later
#9131 4 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

This promoted ad popped up so I decided to order a set. I think it looks pretty cool and fixes the light bleed. Fingers crossed it is as pictured.
Probably could've done it myself with a little painters tape, ha ha, but for $9 and somebody else's engineering – I'll give it a try!
Anybody else order these or do a home fix? Love the color changing eyes, but the bleed is fairly significant.
[quoted image]

I installed these a while back and they worked great. One of the easiest mod's you'll ever install. Find a cylindrical item that's about the same diameter as the hole to set them firmly up against the insert (I used a 1/4" drive socket that was pretty close in diameter).

1 month later
#9289 4 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

Hello, I installed the new power supply.
Everything works well but I find that the black cables connected to the wall nuts are not very strong.
Is it possible to do without the wall and solder all black cables together?

That's what I did. The wall nuts were crap.

BTW, if you are going to add the knocker, do it before soldering the wires together as this is where it gets it's power from.

#9294 4 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

you also soldered the brown cables between them?

I can't recall offhand and I don't have any pics handy but essentially I eliminated the wall nuts and soldered any of the wires together that would have been connected at the wall nuts. I shrink wrapped each group of wires after soldering them.

:-)I didn't realize I was so fluent in French! (I didn't know that Pinside would translate posts)

2 weeks later
#9416 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Had some people over yesterday and noticed the game resets if left on for awhile. Also did a reset during the first ball of a friend’s game. This the power issue I’m hearing about?

I've never had this problem even after leaving the game on for hours. Usually it's just me and the wife so the game doesn't get constant play the whole time though.

3 weeks later
#9534 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

how did you connect the new PS? The wall nuts they send are not the greatest for the gauge of wire that has to be connected. You may be better off using a twist connector for the appropriate gauge (usually the small blue ones)

This has been addressed in previous posts. I found the wall nuts to be worthless so see my post #9289 for my solution. Others have done it differently.

2 months later
#9658 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Mine looks fine with about 1450 plays on it, I have the spare they included in the goody bad but at this rate it's going to be a long time before I need it, or so it appears anyway. I took this pic with the glass on and a 2X zoom, it looks even better to the naked eye.[quoted image]

That's what mine looks like after almost 2000 plays. I really didn't think it would last as long as it has given its location on the playfield.

2 weeks later
#9722 4 years ago

Finally after almost 2000 games, I'm getting off my ass to tear her down, clean her up shop her out. Amazing how much dirt and grime can collect in the cracks and crevices. I find the whole process kind of relaxing - my pinball therapy. So far Houdini has been a lot easier to tear down than some I've done.

3 weeks later
#9788 4 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

I assume the power supply was a relatively easy (1 hr or less, just plugs and screws) project? I want to get one myself, but my pinball list of to-dos (along with normal life shit) is rather long right now.

My recommendation is not to use the provided wall nuts to attach the power supply wires. The wires wouldn't stay attached so I wound up soldering everything together. If you're going to do the knocker, do it at this time since one of the knocker wires runs to the power supply.

3 weeks later
#9814 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Um using purple titan flipper rubber.
Is seems fine, but i wipe them down pretty often with sparkle and rotate the bands so they last longer.

I wipe them down with naptha when they start looking dirty. If they start looking a bit beat up, I'll pull them and rotate to get to a new(er) area.

Looking forward to the new code coming out. Keep up the great work Josh.

1 month later
#9979 4 years ago

Originally I had a lot of trouble with the catapult missing (it was shooting to the left of the trunk). I fixed the problem by drilling a new bottom hole in the ramp and shifting it to the right (only took a few minutes without having to remove the ramp). Since then it rarely misses the shot except during multiball frenzies when many coils are simultaneously firing. Your problem may be a combination of the ball barely hitting the ramp and then deflecting off the bottom of the glass. It's either that or the arc of the throw is such that it hits the glass.

To check this, you could cut a piece of wood or plastic that is the width of the glass and 4"-6" long and slide it up and down the channel while catapulting the ball to find out where in the arc the ball is hitting the glass. To eliminate the ramp from the equation, loosen it up and slide it out of the way during the tests. This would help sort out the glass-on, glass-off different success rate.

#9984 4 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:1. I installed the knocker and the upgraded power supply...my knocker doesn't work in game play, nor does it fire in test. I have triple checked my connections and instructions...could I be missing something?

Have you turned on the knocker in the game settings?

1 week later
#9991 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I picked up a NIB Houdini yesterday.
The game has code version 18.5.4 installed.
I'm trying to do any update, but the only screen mesage I get is Audits and settings have been saved to USB.
The machine isn't taking the new code. What am I doing wrong? Ive tried several different USB sticks.

Make sure that the cable that goes from the USB receptacle next to the coin door is fully seated into the computer in the backbox. When I first got my Houdini, it had worked itself loose from the computer during shipping and wouldn't see the remote USB receptacle (by the coin door). Just needed a reseating to work. I've heard that others have had a formatting issue with the type of USB drive but I personally haven't had an issue with this.

Congratulations on your new game and the hours of fun ahead!

#10001 4 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

My right flipper stopped the other day. The return spring had broken.

I had a flipper spring break too. Got a replacement from my distributor ASAP (plus a few spares). It's nice to get a softball fix now and again.

#10027 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The Wahl nuts. Maybe there’s not a great connection being made? I’m sure AP was trying to make the install simple. I know some owners have soldered the wires together - I’d be curious if they have these types of issues.
Just played a kick ass game! Houdini still holding up 2 years in!

I soldered my wires together and skipped the crappy Wal nuts. I've only noticed a few cases where the flippers act up and then only under stacked, crazy multiballs with a lot of stuff going on.

#10032 4 years ago
Quoted from FtrMech:

So how do you get the upgraded power supply? Is it provided by API or a purchase item from them?

This is purchased from API.
https://store.american-pinball.com/products/houdini-power-supply-upgrade

#10035 4 years ago
Quoted from stevebighead:

Thinking of joining the club. How is the play field holding up in comparison to the newer Sterns? Any major dimpling/cratering or chipping problems? Looking for a challenging hard pin, this looks to fit. Overall build quality?

Mine is in great shape for a game with 2500+ plays on it. I just recently stripped it to the bare playfield for a thorough cleaning, waxing and shopping and was really impressed with the quality. You can see in the picture that there's some dimpling but honestly, I never notice it when the glass is on. I've seen some recent Stern games that look like the surface of the moon.

Houdini after waxing (resized).jpgHoudini after waxing (resized).jpg
1 week later
#10074 4 years ago

I'm figuring that API (as well as many others) are hurting from this Corona virus slowdown. To help them get a bit of cash flow during this time, I'm going to be ordering some replacement Houdini parts that I may need down the road. Things like the pop bumper standoff's (one of which already broke on mine), rubber kit, decals, shirts, things like that.

One item I would buy is the plastic ramp for Houdini. I don't see the wire ones wearing out anytime soon but it'd be nice to have the plastic ramp in reserve. It's not shown on their website but maybe Josh can chime in on the availability of this.

Stay safe everyone and we'll get through this together.

1 week later
#10119 4 years ago
Quoted from stevebighead:

Looking to buy this pin as there are some really good prices right now. Had been considering Dialed In but that would cost at least $1000 more. For those of you who have played both how does Houdini stack up in the Home environment?

Haven't played Dialed In enough to be able to compare the two but as a Houdini owner for quite a while now I think this game is ideal for a home environment. I personally don't think it would be as good on location as it takes a while to figure out the rules and shots but once you do, it's a blast. Additionally, it is really good looking and solidly built. For a few minor issues that I've had, API's tech support was second to none (you can see their support and visibility all over this thread). For the right price, I don't think you can beat it.

#10123 4 years ago

I'm installing the beta code tonight. Curious to see what the changes are.

#10126 4 years ago

The new code has a great lightshow. It's hypnotic...

#10195 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

If you set the calendar on your Houdini, then yiu will get a special message today on screen during the attract mode when you hit a flipper button.

I just saw it today. Learn something new everyday with this game. Another reason to enjoy playing it.

#10244 4 years ago

I've been running the beta code for a few weeks now. No issues to report so far but the ball seems to eject from the scoop with less delay (which is good). Also, the light show is fantastic!

#10253 4 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

If it uses the same audio amp it should be simple. I built my own speaker and added a phono jack in the bottom of the machine
My game has the Lepai amp
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
I mounted a phono jack from inside the cabinet
[quoted image]
From the bottom it is recessed so as to never be impacted when transporting the machine

That's a nice installation. Very clean looking.

2 weeks later
#10335 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Hmm. I requested the skill shot kit on April 6th, didn't get an acknowledgement until the 20th, and still haven't heard any word about it shipping.

Unless API has changed the kit since I got it, it's really just some instructions and a 3/16" black rubber. Sorry for the bad pics but that's the best I can do for now but hopefully it'll be legible. Essentially you remove the 7/16 ring that is around the 2 posts by the guide, bend the guide to touch the first post and put the 3/16 ring on the remaining post. If you don't have a 3/16" rubber ring, shoot me a PM and I'll send you one for free.

Houdini_skill_shot_1 (resized).jpgHoudini_skill_shot_1 (resized).jpgHoudini_skill_shot_2 (resized).jpgHoudini_skill_shot_2 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#10412 3 years ago

I'd pick up an extra set while you are at it as I can see these breaking again down the road. Even with a bit of blue Loctite, I've noticed that mine will loosen a bit and require re-tightening.

#10422 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Ok. Now I'm frustrated. I requested the skill shot kit over a month ago and they confirmed this morning that it still has not shipped, but I've seen several people in this thread put in more recent orders and have them shipped. I guess they only care about new money coming in and not supporting people that already paid for their NIB machines.

Check out post 10335 for the fix. Not much involved with the fix except for one new rubber and a bit of bending.

1 month later
#10595 3 years ago

Had a great game going last night (at least for me) and racked up more than 2 mil points. I'm running the beta code and have noticed more issues with the game keeping track of the balls. Twice, I got an extra ball but when I drained, the game sat for about 15 seconds and then kicked a locked ball into play instead of into the shooter lane. This ball tracking issue seems to be prevalent with the beta code than previous versions. I'm really liking the light show but am considering switching back to the previous code

2 weeks later
#10775 3 years ago
Quoted from ronzomatic:

I bought machine new in May but this recently started. It happens on power-up. I have tried many times to do a shutdowm and restart with no luck. I even tried to reload latest release but I am guessing it is not getting far enough along in the process to check the USB drive for an install. Thanks...
I did open a formal request on the American Pinball website as well.
Thanks...
Ron

You might want to check that the connectors are firmly seated into the CPU in the head. On my game, the weight of the wiring harness kept pulling the connector out of the computer. I fixed this by installing a nylon wire harness clamp to hold the wiring in place. Only took a couple of minutes to do.

1 month later
#11218 3 years ago

I've been a bit absent from pinside lately and just caught up on the latest Houdini talk.

Just ordered the capacitor kit and a few other goodies from API. Interested in getting the kit installed and seeing how it changes things. Overall, I haven't had too much problem with power/ coil strength fluctuations but occasionally it rears its ugly head.

The beta code is an improvement but it still seems to struggle with keeping track of the balls. Frustrating, but not to the point that I want to get rid of this fun game.

#11251 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

There were two made. The Mod Couple one is sold out, but not the interactive model. The interactive one is still available at:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1070-hookedonpinballcom/02152-houdini-chinese-water-torture-mod-factory-interactive-

This is the one that I have. Really nice looking and lights up too. My wife gets a kick out of his little feet sticking out of the top. The installation was pretty straightforward as best I can recall.

1 week later
#11347 3 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

I received my coil performance improvement kit over the weekend and plan to install it soon. The four stand offs in the corners look to me to be installed backwards. They project out the top of the board not the back side in order to protect the solder connections. A picture on a post 40 or 50 posts ago appear wrong too. The picture on the APB web store looks right.
It is an easy fix to pop them out and flip them around, but that should be done to take any stress off of the solder connections. Anybody with an understanding of standoffs should catch this and fix it. Those of us less mecanically inclined should double check. The picture is the way I suspect it should be.
[quoted image]

Thanks for the heads up on this. I received my coil improvement kit yesterday and just checked the standoffs. They were backwards but easy enough to swap around. I probably wouldn't have noticed otherwise so, yet again, pinsiders have kept me on the right path. Thanks to everyone for their diligence .

#11350 3 years ago
Quoted from unlockpinball:

Installed the coil performance improvement kit. Had to reverse the screw stand offs and move the coil kit closer to the wire connection in order to connect it. Flippers are "back to normal" and flip great. Also enjoy the added power for the pop bumpers, however now the lower catapult either overshoots the trunk at setting 25 or undershoots at setting 24. Feel that 24.5 would be perfect, but no such setting. Any suggestions?
The coil performance improvement kit is a MUST!! Now the flippers have power during multi-ball. Prior to the kit it was like playing Dialed In when a power attack happens and you loose power to the flippers.

I agree. For certain settings (catapult, right scoop) more setting steps would be really helpful. My catapult makes it 95% of the time but on its current setting it just clips the top edge of the trunk but one higher bounces it off the lid and onto the playfield. Curious to see how the coil upgrade kit effects this.

1 week later
#11410 3 years ago

I was playing the other night and had an unusual air-ball. This was a first for me and Houdini. Sorry for the bad pic...

IMG_20200906_203143640 (resized).jpgIMG_20200906_203143640 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#11753 3 years ago

My wife likes the pin but is frustrated by her short ball times v/s my longer ball times. It's not that I'm a great player but I play quite a bit more than she does so I know the shots and rules better. She won't practice on her own so that's out. This got me to thinking the other day...

It would be nice to be able to preload a few people into the machine, like me, my wife, son, a friend or two (perhaps a limit of 10 people). You could then select one of these people for Player One and and another person for Player Two and so on. For each preloaded name, the rules could be tweaked as far as total number of extra balls, ease of completing missions, ball save times etc. This would let my wife to (more) easily complete missions while keeping it harder for me to do the same. This would allow her to have more fun on the game and even out the ball times between us. I know it is just wishful thinking at this point but you never know (hint Josh).

2 months later
#12353 3 years ago

Not sure about the shape but I'd think that the thickness would be a problem. The gap between the playfield and the cabinet is very tight. The art blades are paper thin.

2 weeks later
#12392 3 years ago

I've been too busy playing it to notice a change to the attract mode. I'll have to check it out later today.

1 week later
#12441 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

No you should not get to start it as well. So either, you got the last letter off a target before it fell in to the hole (fairly common), or possibly that got inadvertently changed in the last release with all of the work to improve the game flow in places like that magic shop/jail escape hole. I'll have to investigate.

This is exactly the kind of hands on, involved approach that API has demonstrated to their customers that has convinced me to start looking for an Oktoberfest for sale in my area. Keep up the great support Josh!

#12458 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

tonight, my son best on our Houdini, including mini wizard movie, mini wizard escape, et big wizard master magician (but didnt beat it)
all in all, not enough to put his name in
that also (seems to) means that the ENCORE BONUS is the way to go to score very big (of course including playing well the modes)
[quoted image]

That's an impressive score! Beats the hell out of mine, that's for sure. Looking at the completion stats, it shows how hard it is to pick up the combo modes. Two is my usual number with occasional foreys into three. The times that I cleanly shoot the perfect combo only to realize I didn't have it lit really is crushing to my pinball spirit and drives me to "one more game".

#12470 3 years ago

I've had it happen once. As best I can recall, the ball rebounded off the targets and landed there. Had to slide the glass down, knock it free and take the drain. I'm positive that this is the only reason that I didn't get 25 million for that game. Yeah, that sounds plausible.

Joking aside, for the next round of code updates, Josh might want to add a cycling of the pops to the the ball search function as I don't think it currently does that.

IMG_20200906_203143640 (resized).jpgIMG_20200906_203143640 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#12535 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Possibly dumb question... my Return From Beyond and Escape Death features don’t work when lit. The ball drains and that’s the end of the ball. Am I missing a setting or something?

I can confirm that these are working with the latest code. I got Return from Beyond last night but unfortunately I still wound up pushing up daisies...

2 weeks later
#12599 2 years ago
Quoted from cnuts13:

Can anyone hit the super skill shot? In 1% of the time

How about the seance multiball "shoot the targets in order". I've only come close one time (at least that I'm aware of). Anybody ever get this one?

1 month later
#12638 2 years ago

Just ordered some spare parts for Houdini. The Magic Trunk, Pop Bumper Caps and the complete Plastic Ramp assembly are now heading my way. Always good to have some game-specific parts for the future. What other parts might be good to stock up on now while they're easy to get?

#12668 2 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Oh, I see unfortunately this is not showing up in the shops at the moment.
Houdini eyelight block foam
I had purchased these from HDMIKE444 and its a simple made self adhesive circle foam strip that just lets light through the center so only Houdini's pupils are lit, rather than the entire round insert.

I bought and installed these too. One of the cheapest and easiest to install mods in pinball. Once you see the difference, it really stands out. Not sure if he's still making them but you could make your own set too.

2 weeks later
#12708 2 years ago

Yes, but the next run of Houdini's will have the cabinet mounted subwoofer.
My FOMO is acting up, so I imagine a kit will be offered to update the older models?
I have no problem cutting a hole in the bottom of my cabinet. Its easy and fast to do.

What's a FOMO?

#12712 2 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Feet on my ottoman, I think

I know what FOMOCO is even though my dad was a GM guy...

#12722 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Edie: Speaking of things we've not discovered it was stated there is another scantily clad lady really well hidden somewhere in the game and I've yet to find her, even when doing nearly full top-side shop jobs.

Is there one beyond the lady on the plastic above the E S C targets? If so, I haven't noticed her even with a complete playfield teardown and shop job.

Houdini_Plastic (resized).jpgHoudini_Plastic (resized).jpg
#12741 2 years ago
Quoted from nsmith:

Question
I have read that the ball scoop ejects the ball rather forcibly onto the playfield causing damage near the scoop. Is this true? can the scoop power be dialed down? If not, would you recommend a cliffy protector?

The scoop eject is adjustable. As for the Cliffy scoop protector, after over a thousand games I didn't see any wear but I installed it anyway while I was shopping the playfield.

2 weeks later
#12815 2 years ago

Yep, rare for me but so satisfying when I nail it.

#12821 2 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

at the end, i also always get an EB with it... became easy in some way, but its only because you play it again & again, logical of course

That's why I reduced the time of the mode. I think I reduced it about 20 seconds.

1 week later
#12884 2 years ago
Quoted from scbill88:

I took delivery of HOU1571 a couple weeks ago, and love it. While playing with the menus I found a red light on Tilt Switch and trunk lid. I cleared the tilt after “finding” the pendulum in the coin box ( whole other story…delivery guys were useless), and hitting it one time. The trunk lid is a different story. The trunk operates just fine so I am not sure what the purpose of the trunk lid switch is or why it would be red. Anyone have this same error after delivery?

If I recall correctly, Josh said that initially there was concern about the trunk not being open when the catapult fired so they added a switch to confirm it was open. This turned out not to be a problem but the switch is still there but not really needed.

1 month later
#13074 2 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Thanks. I’ll try to adjust guides so balls are lined up better.
But usually I stop the game immediately and go to switch edges. As shown above, the game registers the correct switches on test mode. Would that assume that the switches were registered a few seconds earlier in game play?

Have you checked for magnetized balls? I've had issues in the past where the balls were"locking" together in the outhole trough and not registering the switches correctly.

1 month later
#13229 2 years ago

I really liked the action of the altered scoop.
Way smoother and perfected! It also might solve the way the ball brutally bounces off the front edge of the opening.
Its an easy fix, but Ill buy one if you get them made for sure!

I'll have to try the modification for mine as well. The scoop ejects alright for the most part but often times it takes several attempts to get the ball out and even when it does it's a bit clunky. I would also buy a new, API modified one if you make them.

1 week later
#13340 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Did you get it back? Awesome!
For those less comfortable with the soldering iron, the entire power supply is also available for $25 via the link posted above

Just ordered 2 power supplies to keep on hand. They were 23.75 each plus free shipping. I hate to be down for the count waiting on parts when the pinball spirit is strong in me.

3 months later
#13628 2 years ago

Im thinking of selling my game to make room for the CCrLE coming...
Im really out of room and its the game Im playing the least tight now since Ive made it to master magician way too many times...
Ill post an ad later on with specifics....

Man that would suck. You've been a really great asset to us fellow Houdini owners with all your tips and suggestions. I know what it's like to have to make these hard choices though...

#13645 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

You need to enable it, go to settings->standard->Slow Restart

Is this also available for Oktoberfest? Lately, my wife keeps accidentally hitting 3 player games.

1 month later
#13735 2 years ago
Quoted from scbill88:

While I have had this machine for about 9 months, I am just now at a place where I have some time to put into it.
There are a few things I have planned to do right away...Fix the scoop- it currently sends the ball right between the flippers, very frustrating.
Widen the inner loop. Trunk multi-balls almost never happen. Now for some questions...
My Machine is at a 14degree angle, is that to steep? All my settings are factory. What are some changes to make the game more fun for my
guests? The highest score anyone has obtained has been 600K. Generally 300K is a good game for a guest. Any suggestions?
Finally, and this is embarrassing being I have had it for months...What exactly happens when the "magic shop is open" and what opens it?
All my guests ask what does that mean? lol
Thanks in advance for any and all help!

I don't think I've ever seen a game at 14 deg slope. I'd be worried about it tipping over on me. Seriously, I'd confirm your slope and make game adjustments accordingly.

2 weeks later
#13775 2 years ago
Quoted from big-c66:

When is the next run of Houdini. I’m thinking about getting one.

This was discussed at TPF. They are definitely making new Houdini's but I can't recall the dates mentioned. I'm sure the seminar was recorded so you should be able to find it on the web.

2 months later
#13957 1 year ago

the cell phone apps arent really that accurate.
Getting a digital level or angle finder is cheap and easy.

The longer the length of the level, the more accurate it'll be. Plus, you can sometimes align the longer level with sling posts, playfield text or playfield inserts for side-to-side leveling accuracy.

#13978 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Thx I did. They said it’s fine. I’ll fire it up in a bit

That's one of the reasons I have Houdini and Oktoberfest, top notch customer service.

8 months later
#14539 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, they are truly the worst-quality blades out there. The cheap, paper material they use is totally unsuitable for blades and is super-easily damaged by raising and lowering the playfield, even after install. I have no idea why they didn't use vinyl-type material like essentially everyone else.
That said, I had no problem installing them with the PF still in using the wet method. Taking the playfield out is a waste of time/effort to install blades, because the wet method is dead simple and effective.

I think that this was due to the first run games having a cabinet that was manufactured too narrow. I don't know if later runs correct this but it meant that the blades had to be extra thin.

2 months later
#14652 11 months ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

There is a leaf switch behind the lid, only visible when the playfield is slid back. It probably has a broken wire. Sort of common. My understanding is the game will play fine without the switch working. I think it was planned for it to be coded in for something, but never made it in. If anything it helps determine the catapult accuracy. Still...I resoldered mine. The error drove me crazy.

My understanding of the trunk lid switch was that there was some initial concern about the ball being launched while the lid was closed so the switch was added to prevent this. In practice, it turned out to not be an issue but the switch was already there.

2 months later
#14725 8 months ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

hey guys i know its been discussed on here a whole bunch but Im hoping you guys can direct me to it or reiterate the newest way to get the catapult working correctly, mine shoots way left. It ends up bouncing off the side of the machine and then into the trunk like 50 percent of the time which is cool but i dont believe thats the route it should be taking ha ha. Can you guys help a man out. I looked through here and saw some options but they kind of scared me and I was thinking the newest ideas might be the best now that the machine has been out and been tinkered with a wholeeeee bunch. thanks in advance.

My catapult shot was barely hitting the side of the wire ramp next to it so I drilled a new hole in the ramp mounting bracket and moved it to the right. Was pretty easy to do and the shot has been very consistent since. I don't have any pics of the modified bracket but it should be pretty obvious what to do when you look at the game.

#14728 8 months ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

my fear would just be drilling a new hole and lining it up correctly so that when I did drill that whole it was right on.

There's actually a fair amount of adjustability to attaching the ramp onto the supports. Additionally, drill the hole a bit oversize and use a flat washer to cover the gap.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GSones.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread?tu=GSones and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.