20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #145 Houdini Pinball initial flyer Posted by HighProtein (7 years ago)

Post #184 Initial reveal at TPF Posted by SilverballNut (7 years ago)

Post #190 Introductory Price of Houdini Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #198 Initial Pictures of Machine Posted by lllvjr (7 years ago)

Post #229 Playfield Close-Up Pics Posted by bigd1979 (7 years ago)

Post #284 Machine feature details Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #312 More feature details Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #385 Double switch lane picture Posted by pinballrockstar (6 years ago)

Post #420 Pinball show appearance schedule for Houdini Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #434 Houdini pics from Allentown show Posted by PinballSTAR (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ericc123.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#850 6 years ago

I haven't been following this games development at all and was vaguely aware that it existed. A video of the guys from Straight Down The Middle playing it on YouTube popped into my feed and oh my God this looks awesome. My wife wants one that's for sure.

2 weeks later
#941 6 years ago

That all sounds awesome. I really hope I can play one soon because this is towards the top of my list.

3 weeks later
#1271 6 years ago

Really enjoyable interview with Josh Kugler on the K-Man podcast. I'm just loving American Pinball more and more every time they say something.

#1293 6 years ago

I know that Rosh had said that he's trying to get a better camera for some game play footage, but if they are shooting for shipping in the next few weeks (per the interview on the K-Man podcast) aren't they running out of time? The game looks great and I think some good video of it being played is only going to help with orders.

2 weeks later
#1354 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

More "about to" roll, with still some hickups I'd assume but nontheless loads of work.
I have faith. I can wait. (And I have to, since my TNA will hit soon and I'm broke for the time beeing after that.)

TNA and Houdini? Man you've got good taste.

#1360 6 years ago

Rosh, thank you for the video. The game looks amazing and I think that you're a better player than you give yourself credit for. Excellent video that really shows off the game.

1 week later
#1542 6 years ago

What was updated? I didn’t see it before.

#1561 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

There is some mystery part they are waiting to be built or shipped to the factory which appears to be holding up the whole line. Hope it happens soon!

More sand?

1 week later
#1626 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

I’m supposed to be getting one of the first so you guys will have plenty of coverage from SDTM: a pinball show on Twitch and YouTube. Here’s hoping it’s working well out of the box

Your review of Houdini might be my most anticipated video yet. Can't wait to see what you guys think of it.

1 week later
#1691 6 years ago

Well I’m in. Can’t wait to get my game. Congratulations to rosh and everyone at American Pinball.

#1713 6 years ago

That’s the best video of Houdini yet. I’m glad that GAP has been so proactive in posting them.

1 week later
#1768 6 years ago

rosh You may have already answered this, so if I'm asking a questions a second time I apologize, but once everything gets up and running do you have any guess on what your capacity is per week? I know it's not full steam ahead quite yet but trying to get a gauge on when mine could be ready.

1 week later
#1792 6 years ago

I think Rosh has spoiled us with all of his updates. Look at 90% of pinball manufacturers, you wouldn't have heard a thing. I'm sure that he is just busy working hard to get us our games. Remember that the three that shipped were sort of a PR move to say that they shipped by the end of the year. Still absolutely amazing that they are this far along in such a short amount of time.

#1836 6 years ago

ZMeny yes please. Love the magnets on this game.

#1842 6 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Excited for you ... if you don't mind, when did you place deposit/reserve a spot?

I would also be interested if you don’t mind sharing. Also, when did they ask you to pay in full?

#1847 6 years ago

Rosh, I seriously couldn't be more impressed with how you guys are running your company. If my Houdini is as good as I think it will be you will definitely be at the top of my list for future purchases. Keep up the good work man.

#1895 6 years ago

Really looks good Zach. Nice job.

#1984 6 years ago

So it looks like Houdini's are really starting to show up at distributors and on location all over the place. Any ideas on how many have been produced at this point? Maybe a rough estimate from Rosh or even a motivated individual adding up all of the posts on Pinside.

#1987 6 years ago

20 to 30 sound about right based off of posts. I'm still really impressed with this game and the work that API put into it.

1 week later
#2067 6 years ago

It’s great that American Pinball appears to be getting these games out at a great clip, much faster than TNA and Spooky for example, but they all appear to be going on location. I only know of two in customers homes at this point. Does anyone in this thread have one in their home or could a distributor let us know when we can expect home use shipments?

#2072 6 years ago

transprtr4u I was actually counting yours and Zach’s as the two HUO machines that I was aware of.

1 week later
#2118 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Why not ask your distributor? He/she should be able to find out when you game goes on the line.

Mine hasn’t been able to give me any idea for an eta at all.

#2129 6 years ago

Really exciting that these are starting to make their way into people’s homes.

1 week later
#2222 6 years ago

So, who wants to speculate on what HOU1071 from Hogey’s game tells us? Can’t be game 1,071 but maybe game 71?

#2228 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Kaneda's not digging Houdini's shot difficulty in his latest podcast.

He did qualify it with how he played it on location and mentioned that it might not be "dialed in" yet. All in all it seemed like a fair review after 20 plus games to me. It didn't discourage me that's for sure.

#2304 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Thanks Barry, welcome to pinside.

+1. Welcome Barry.

#2309 6 years ago

So the guy who is the absolute best at keeping the customers up to date, better than any company in the business, got more help because he wasn't doing a good enough job keeping us up to date. Priceless! Rosh, you are the best man.

#2330 6 years ago

Last time that I checked I am number 12 on the pre-order list at my distributor and I placed my order December 30th. I don't expect my game anytime soon either.

#2365 6 years ago

Joe, that was excellent. I love it when a manufacturer or distributor comes on Pinside and speaks truth but backs it up with facts and information that we can all understand. I love this thread because of Rosh and I’m very impressed with your post.

#2410 6 years ago

Just got a call from my distributor asking for payment in full. Hopefully I’ll have my game in 2-4 weeks!

#2428 6 years ago

@adamross, you have both TNA AND Houdini. Nice job man and great taste.

#2434 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Seems like the rope on the left or right should be angled out for players to exit.

It is Houdini after all. If you can't escape the line you don't deserve to play lol.

#2535 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Can I order a game now and recieve it later this year with all of the cool toys like shaker motor, magic glass and mirror/art blades?
Or should I wait until september/october and order then?
Who do I order from to get a game to reno nevada? or do I have to order direct?
rosh maybe email me or get me a contact number for more details please

There are a ton of great distributors posting in this thread that would have a game shipped to you no problem. If you look in the market place you will see all of their ads as well.

#2568 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Comes with coin mechs, but NOT a dollar bill acceptor. And bucking the recent trend toward 12v DBA, Houdini uses 110v DBAs.

If we can just pretend I'm simple for a second what does 12V DBA and 110V DBA mean?

#2688 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

As far as I know, all known distributors have lists of waiting buyers that stretch back to last year. It will be hard to get instant gratification for a while unless you're willing to pay more to buy off someone in the front of the line.

What he said. They are producing games at a nice clip though so they will catch up eventually. Best case scenario is the game is a hit and they can keep pumping them out.

#2741 6 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

At the rate things are going, you probably have time to buy the Chinese version and learn to read the language.........

You’ve probably never bought a game from Spooky, Dutch Pinball, Heighway, Zidware etc. American Pinball is doing a great job for anyone not named Stern pumping these out. Look how long it’s taken Spooky to make 100 TNA’s.

#2790 5 years ago

Looks like my Houdini is on a truck and should be here Thursday. I can't wait to play the game that Joe and rosh have put so much hard work into.

#2808 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Cost, shipped?

What he said lol

#2833 5 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Picking Houdini #147 up now!

Congratulations, mine should be arriving tomorrow. How do you know that your game is #147 is there a serial number that shows it?

#2852 5 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

That's where I ordered mine as well. Only issue was the 12volt plug/converter that supplies power. Worked intermittently and I had to crack open the plastic housing and re-solder the positive leg as it was just simply sliding back and forth in the thru hole of the circuit board. Solid now
Looks great too!

I thought you said you got your game from Larry at Flip N Out? Also isn’t pricing standard across the board?

#2854 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I think he just mean the topper

Yup, I need to learn to read lol.

#2862 5 years ago

Machine number 150 just got delivered. I work until 9PM tonight so this day is going to be brutal.

#2882 5 years ago

Could anyone who has a machine post some pictures of the sound box for me. My game had no sound whatsoever but I’m fairly certain this super bass box is unpowered. I can’t find any lose cords to plug into it to get it power.

600D7C34-0FF7-480B-855A-CC29E02ABEEA (resized).jpeg600D7C34-0FF7-480B-855A-CC29E02ABEEA (resized).jpeg

A33633AA-0AAA-482B-AA6C-6BCA68EA60DC (resized).jpegA33633AA-0AAA-482B-AA6C-6BCA68EA60DC (resized).jpeg

58DBE79E-172F-4105-B1FA-3D9088A7F352 (resized).jpeg58DBE79E-172F-4105-B1FA-3D9088A7F352 (resized).jpeg

#2886 5 years ago

It’s not the switch I’ve tried it both ways. The red light won’t light up either way it’s not getting power.

#2888 5 years ago

Not dumb to say because that’s what I figured I just couldn’t find it. Thank you MT45 for letting me know that it was on the right. I found it got it plugged in and am up and running.

#2898 5 years ago

So new question. I’ve had a ball get stuck against this stop several times now. I’m not sure how it’s getting there but when it does the stop and the far left pop bumper just keep going off but the ball doesn’t shake lose. I have to stop the game every time to take the glass off to get the ball out. Any ideas?

FF1788F2-2CA5-40DF-9B27-543279246134 (resized).jpegFF1788F2-2CA5-40DF-9B27-543279246134 (resized).jpeg

#2901 5 years ago

Deceptive angle and lazy camera work on my part for not taking the glass off but there is a ton of space between the ball and the plastic. There are three switches hanging from above that look like they are supposed to count three balls but the ball won’t pass by and the ball search doesn’t kick it out.

#2938 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Yep, serial number 1153, thanks again Jesse. The playfield in this game is the nicest I have ever seen in a production game, it's nicer than my WOZRR and WAY nicer looking than the one in the HUO GOTG Pro I bought recently. The clear coat is extremely smooth and looks fantastic. So far the only issues I'm having is the loop shot through the pops usually doesn't make it to the theater, it triggers one of the pops instead and the left outer loop is not smooth. Haven't dug into it yet to see what kind of adjustment may be possible for the first problem but I think the switches are just too stiff in the left loop so that should be simple. So far the trunk catapult is perfect since initial adjustment. Hard game, but a lot of fun!

I agree, this game is stunning and the build quality is amazing. I think all the talk of the shots being too tight is blown way out of proportion. It really is a special pin and you can tell a lot of love went into it.

#2974 5 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Can you please snap a photo of where you put it in the amp, the type of cord you used and where you put it in the sub? I am more of a visual learner. The explanations haven't really helped me.

What he said, but only if you have time.

#3074 5 years ago
Quoted from flipnout1:

Magic glass is now shipping on orders starting today. I just got it installed on a customers game that is shipping out tomorrow. Shakers coming soon I'm told.
Need a Houdini let us know.
[email protected]

Larry is a great guy, if you are looking for a Houdini I would highly recommend him.

#3082 5 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Houdini set up next to my Theatre of Magic. I needed to set the lower catapult from 27 to 24. But all other settings were good. I added the target decals but did not do anything else. I did have factory add blades. Will probably add the shaker motor.

Credit where credit is due, you did a great job of organizing your machines. I love the Star Trek next to Star Trek TNG and Starwars, Hobbit next to Lord of the rings and Houdini next to Theater of Magic. You win sir!

#3125 5 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Fun with felt sticky dots...
I placed a felt dot into the milk can loop as shown on the right. The ball still bounced out. I added a felt dot to the left and now the ball does not bounce out often. It now loops much more than it bounces out.
I did not want to make a permanent change to the wire gate at the plunger entrance. I added two small felt dots on top of each other to force the gate up so the ball doesn’t get stuck.

#3126 5 years ago

Smart thinking. I haven’t had that problem with my milkcan but I like your solution.

#3151 5 years ago
Quoted from JIM_Z:

I got notice today also, I was on the fence with some of the feedback about the tight shots. I'm sure I will learn to play better

I was worried too but it's really not that bad. You're going to love this game!

#3169 5 years ago

Pirate - JJP POTC

#3209 5 years ago

Did anyone notice the magnets being more active after the update? Maybe active isn't the right word but they are definitely moving the ball all over the place and I love it. Wasn't sure if it was code related or if it's in my head. lol

1 week later
#3409 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

OK,lots of second thoughts going on! Whats the deal??Are the shots just to tight? I've heard about the flow,some saying its slow go and requires you to hit targets in sequence? PinballTilt is out,any thoughts??

You aren't required to hit targets in sequence but the game rewards you for doing it. That is how you get the Seance super jackpot. It's a risk reward sort of thing and just adds another layer of depth to the game or something else to try to achieve.

1 week later
#3521 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

And look what magically appears at my home. A new in box Houdini from American Pinball. Talk about customer service. Thank you Joe And Barry for personally coming over to set up this stunning game.

Barry and Joe set it up for you? That’s awesome! Congratulations on your new game you’ll love it.

#3580 5 years ago

Zmeny said that he only has so much money and room for pins. He needed to get another game to review for their YouTube channel. I’m not trying to speak for him but I never got the impression that he had anything but love for the game.

#3613 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Ok guys........ is anyone that has one abile to hit the two upper targets on the skill shot. I have been playing with the shooter and ball guide for a few hours to no avail.

I can hit the bottom and middle targets with no problem but I have never been able to hit the top target. I figured it was just me and my lack of skill.

#3718 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Im about to pull the trigger on a houdini. Ive seen 2 different versions of side art. One I like and the other I dont. Does side art come stock and if not where do I get it?

The side art that you see on most machines is an option. You can view it on American Pinball's website. When you order your machine you can let your distributor know that you want it and it will be installed at the factory for you, or you can order it directly from AP and install it yourself at a later date.

#3839 5 years ago

So I know that the whole truck shot missing thing has been discussed to death at this point but I have a question. My shot missed short the first 2 times and never again after I adjusted the coil power up 1. It probably made the shot 100 times perfectly. I know that the coil power can be finicky but the only other thing that I plugged into the wall was an external Polk subwoofer. Tonight my first ball barely made it and it missed the next two short. Is the game that sensitive that one subwoofer can throw everything off?

#3906 5 years ago

Ericpinballfan that is a beautiful picture.

1 week later
#4080 5 years ago

BladeFury Looks good man.

1 week later
#4145 5 years ago

Probably because you are so much more accustomed to hearing them boo!

Sick burn by rosh lol

2 weeks later
#4404 5 years ago

My wife just ordered my shaker motor for my Father’s Day gift (nothing like waiting until the last minute) and I can’t wait to see how Rosh used it.

#4474 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Got the Film mini wizard and 5 of the 7 Houdini letters tonight.

Congratulations! I feel bad for magician 2 though lol.

3 weeks later
#4770 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

If I were a straight jacket where would I be ?
What do you guys think of this mod? Cant decide where to place it.
The original thought was behind the pops but I kinda like it infront of the trunk and it does not get near the flying ball.
Mod will be available Aug 2018 in paint stage now this is my proto.
3d cast based on his actual jacket currently on display all the way down to the buckles on the back of the jacket and its hand painted.
hookedonpinball.com

I'm voting for the key lane. It sort of makes sense thematically and I agree that by the trunk or by the planchet are not great options.

#4776 5 years ago

Wow 407. That's awesome! I'm glad that this game has sold so well thus far.

#4778 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I've hesitated to post this because I thought it was probably obvious and I would eventually figure it out, but 3 months in and I haven't so.... what's the story behind the "Wasn't there a moose looking for a rabbit?" magic shop sequence? All the rest are very obvious but I still don't get this one.

Rocky & Bullwinkle I believe.

1 week later
#4857 5 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Isn't it a tad bit early for Oktoberfest???

Research, and besides everyone knows that Rosh is a tequila guy

1 week later
#4974 5 years ago

I never had an issue with the negative call outs. For me that was part of the fun/humor of the game. I'm actually surprised with how many people that it bothers.

#5079 5 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

This game is one the most beautiful games I have ever seen!

I agree 100% with this statement. Really took the overall art and theme integration to the next level.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ericc123.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread?tu=Ericc123 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.