Topic Stats

• 9,478 posts
  • 549 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 37 minutes ago by Audioenslaved
  • Topic is favorited by 145 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,293 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
20190820_202241 (resized).jpg
20190820_202141 (resized).jpg
20190820_202203 (resized).jpg
20190820_215958 (resized).jpg
DA11DAC5-DB21-422A-927B-25CB029731CE (resized).jpeg
A180D515-A4B6-4430-A10E-2AA29E5C2A90 (resized).jpeg
4A525FA5-9F12-47C3-A3B7-97D4D986C6D1 (resized).jpeg
Houdini Haldane (resized).jpg
IMG_20190810_190510 (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpeg
20190811_163439 (resized).jpg
20190811_163454 (resized).jpg
20190811_163143 (resized).jpg
20190811_163137 (resized).jpg
20190811_163030 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #145 Houdini Pinball initial flyer Posted by HighProtein (2 years ago)

Post #184 Initial reveal at TPF Posted by SilverballNut (2 years ago)

Post #190 Introductory Price of Houdini Posted by 1iblind (2 years ago)

Post #198 Initial Pictures of Machine Posted by lllvjr (2 years ago)

Post #229 Playfield Close-Up Pics Posted by bigd1979 (2 years ago)

Post #284 Machine feature details Posted by rosh (2 years ago)

Post #312 More feature details Posted by rosh (2 years ago)

Post #385 Double switch lane picture Posted by pinballrockstar (2 years ago)

Post #420 Pinball show appearance schedule for Houdini Posted by rosh (2 years ago)

Post #434 Houdini pics from Allentown show Posted by PinballSTAR (2 years ago)

Post #533 Official Houdini Flyer with features listed Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (2 years ago)

Post #535 Ball Counter graphic for game Posted by rosh (2 years ago)

Post #609 More mode and feature details from programmer Posted by rosh (2 years ago)

Post #639 More game system details from programmer Posted by rosh (2 years ago)

Post #978 Photos of the updated game for expo Posted by rosh (1 year ago)

Post #1000 Photos of the cabinet interior side art Posted by rosh (1 year ago)

Post #1287 Josh Kugler Interview Posted by konjurer (1 year ago)

Post #1357 Houdini Gameplay video Posted by rosh (1 year ago)

Post #2290 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by BarryJ (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DngrWillRobinson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1185 1 year ago

Rosh, I’m nearby as well if you need more testers. I was at Expo on Thursday but didn’t get a chance to try the game due to the lines. I need to play it before I put money down but from what I’ve seen that seems like a forgone conclusion.

2 weeks later
#1318 1 year ago

First I want to thank Rosh and the folks at American Pinball for opening up their place to us. AP were great hosts who took valuable time out of their schedule to let us play their games ask a ton of questions (many of which I’m sure they’ve heard countless times) and even conducted a tour of the production floor. All this on a Saturday when they could have been home with loved ones. My impression is that it isn’t just a business to them but rather a labor of love. It shows in their enthusiasm when they talk about Houdini, and it definitely shows in all the attention to the details they put into the game. If their code comes out as polished as the physical game already is, holy mackerel this is going to be something really special.

The game aesthetically exceeded my expectations. The beauty of the art is second to none and there are so many details on the play field, it would take a very long time to see everything. The back glass, yes it’s glass, is equally gorgeous and very nice to have vs a translite. They are also offering side blades as an add-on and they are so well done that I think they are a must have. I don’t see anyone coming up with a better after market version. Thank you for getting these done by the same artist so it fits perfectly with the rest of the artwork.

Next, the amount of elements on the play field, some functional and some aesthetic, is very impressive. They put a lot inside the cabinet without overcrowding it. The toys, the lights, bumpers, stage, mini-theater screen, locks and chains, milk can, catapults (two of them) and of course the chest that the ball get thrown into. I know I’m forgetting some things because there is just so much to see and do, it’s hard to take it all in the first time you see it. I remember commenting to someone that it felt like a JJP game with all the stuff inside but at much more favorable price. You’re getting the fully loaded Cadillac at the Chevy price.

How about game play next? The game can play pretty fast, not TNA fast, but fast enough for me. It definitely keeps you on your toes, if you relax or let your guard down a drain will soon follow. I guess I’d say it was paced so that it requires you to focus but not to the point of being frenetic and causing you to feel drained after playing. Several of the shots were somewhat tight while others were very doable. A nice mixture of challenging and playable at the same time. I have to say, this was my first time playing Houdini and early on it kicked my butt. This went on for quite a few games, don’t ask me how many. I think I averaged two minutes or less per game. Yes, it tells you your game time and score at the end of the game, cool idea, even though I was clocking some really short games. The main ramp was nice and smooth and not a tough shot to make. The outer orbit was also smooth but a little bit tighter shot. The inner orbit is the tight one, not impossible by any means but the tightest of the bunch, but that’s what makes it extra satisfying to hit. Well, that and the fact that it leads to the catapult which throws the ball about two thirds the length of the play field into the chest, yes very satisfying. Oh, and I was there playing and watching for about four hours, I didn’t see the catapult miss once, pretty damn impressive. Next, the three magnets were very cool and used to good effect. The ones I saw used the most were the ones underneath Houdini’s hands which made it look like he was using his magical powers to control the ball, very cool effect, perfect idea for a magician. The middle magnet I didn’t notice being used as much so I can’t comment on it. I could go on and on but I probably already lost most readers with this lengthy post. I will say that I didn’t see the second catapult used the entire day. That’s the one that throws the ball into the wireform/habitrail that returns the ball to the right flipper. Somewhat disappointing to have that feature on the game and to not have it employed seems to be a waste. Rosh did say that maybe it could get utilized more as the code matures. I really hope so because it looks like it would be cool and also because if it never gets used it would make no sense to even have it in the game. I know, it’s still a work in progress.

So, what was my overall impression? I think you can guess, I think it’s awesome. The art, the toys, the shots, the build quality the theme integration, it’s the complete package. Also bear in mind, for me the theme, although cool, is not necessarily a dream theme and I am still blown away by this game. In fact the game is so cool that it has made the theme grow on me far more than I would have expected. I expect this to be an A+ game once the code is complete and Rosh integrates the second catapult/right side habitrail more into the game (not so subtle hint Rosh). I will own this game and depending on the timing of it’s release, it might be my first NIB purchase ever. Ladies and gentlemen, American Pinball is for real!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention, my last game lasted nearly eleven and a half minutes. So I would say that after playing for a while the game felt like it opened up for me and sucked me right in to Harry Houdini’s world. I left with a big smile on my face. That’s why we play pinball my friends.

#1320 1 year ago
Quoted from dts:

Great review, thanks! How did you like the music and call outs?

Good question, sorry I forgot to mention this. The music was spot on and felt perfect for this theme. Think about the type of music that would have been used for a Houdini stage act but updated and mixed with music from an action/suspense film. The music definitely sets the mood nicely. The call outs were also really good. Again, AP did a really good job of choosing the right voice for this theme and the lines/script fit the time frame of Houdini without sounding too dated or cheesy. I really liked the little historical tidbits that were given at various parts of the game, this added depth to the Houdini experience while further immersing you into the theme. Houdini also has a sense of humor, with fast ball drains you get lines like “try using the flippers next time” or “I sense no magic in this one” or simply “really!”. These lines definitely got some laughs throughout the day.

2 weeks later
#1363 1 year ago

I need to get that translite.

#1405 1 year ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I think the thing about top hats that many in the magic community find distasteful is that it has come to represent bad magicians and made fun of on TV, commercials and movies. Having the top hat associated with magic has not been good for our reputations.

Instead of a top hat, maybe a better representation of your profession would be something like this?

68AA0F59-E18C-4D3B-89B8-C3FFF0B963D8 (resized).jpeg

#1416 1 year ago

I wonder how small is the group of people who are both pinball collectors and pet rock collectors? What about a pinball machine about pet rocks? I might be on to something. Rosh, I give permission to AP to use my idea for it's next release. Your welcome.

#1435 1 year ago

kvan99, have you been peeping in my windows?

#1484 1 year ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

It’s at Level 257 in Chicago.

It’s actually in Schaumburg, Il not Chicago. If you were in Chicago looking for Level 257 you wouldn’t even be close to finding it. I’m curious, were your center drains coming out of the Key Lane? I played two different machines at AP’s facility and one keep draining SDTM out of the Key Lane and the other did not. It appears one needed to be tweaked. It is an awesome game, can’t wait until they are released.

#1494 1 year ago

I was at their open house in November and saw the side art for the first time and loved it. I wouldn’t get this game without it. The shaker motor however isn’t a must have for me, I don’t see where it fits in with this theme, or to put it better, when would it be appropriate to activate during the game play. At any rate, it’s simply an amazing game.

3 weeks later
#1677 1 year ago

Is that serial number 1?

#1699 1 year ago

“This video is unavailable.” Per YouTube.

#1736 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

Amateur posters to this thread often miss asking about things before jumping to conclusions.

Rosh for the win!

2 weeks later
#1838 1 year ago

Looks good Michael, I need to get mine framed up too.

1 week later
#1998 1 year ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Why do so many people keep calling Rosh Josh?

Rosh is Josh Kugler.

#2015 1 year ago

I’ve played it on more than one occasion, the height seemed fine to me. The second time I played it was at Level 257 and it was in a line of pins and it seemed to be the same height as all the others.

3 weeks later
#2239 1 year ago

Who gives a rat's ass whether Kaneda likes it or not? Play the game and make up your mind for yourself.

#2319 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

Although to be on pinside, you also need to have a pretty thick skin.

Truer words were never spoken.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DngrWillRobinson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside