20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #145 Houdini Pinball initial flyer Posted by HighProtein (7 years ago)

Post #184 Initial reveal at TPF Posted by SilverballNut (7 years ago)

Post #190 Introductory Price of Houdini Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #198 Initial Pictures of Machine Posted by lllvjr (7 years ago)

Post #229 Playfield Close-Up Pics Posted by bigd1979 (7 years ago)

Post #284 Machine feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #312 More feature details Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #385 Double switch lane picture Posted by pinballrockstar (7 years ago)

Post #420 Pinball show appearance schedule for Houdini Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #434 Houdini pics from Allentown show Posted by PinballSTAR (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CUJO.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2443 6 years ago

Wow..they are up to Game # 110. I received my Houdini #77 just this past Wednesday. That's 33 Houdini's in under a month or about one a day.

Mine was Built in Feb2018..they don't seem to narrow it down by day...

I'm enjoying mine for sure...Great pin!

1 week later
#2714 6 years ago

I must be the lucky one with #77 as I have only had two ball drains from the scoop in over 120 3-ball games.

There has also been very few ball scoop ejects that haven't made it out on the first try...

Looking forward to some kind of MATCH feature..hopefully...

And the catapult accuracy has been pretty darn good too. I'd say over 90% of making the trunk shot.

#2744 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

API is doing an amazing job getting these made each week at a steady pace. Another batch went out this week and more pinsiders will be posting next week about it.

Any idea what number they are up too? Last I heard they were over 100 pins shipped and that was over 10 days ago.

#2813 6 years ago

I like the fact that the Houdini Code version is actually the date so no guessing when it was released.
I enjoy reading the fixes, changes, additions made to the code as new versions are being released.

Will there a history of the release notes to made available for the earlier code releases so one can follow the progression?

#2842 6 years ago

I have a RED FLAG in SWITCH TEST on the WIRE RAMP EXIT. (see pic)
Where is this switch so I can see why it's stuck closed? I must be blind as I don't see a switch or opto
on either wire ramp exit.

Thanks.
CuJo

wirerampexit (resized).jpgwirerampexit (resized).jpg

#2855 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Might not be at the exit, might be on the way there. Like the optos I circled in MT45's picture.
LTG : )

LLoyd,
Found it! Works now when I pass something like a ball or my finger between the optos now.

I guess I just haven't had any balls make it from the upper catapult past that opto recently or at all.
My lower catapalt never was missing the truck so unless it misses and falls into the upper catapalt, I assume that is the only job that upper catapalt has to do, is to get the ball back into play?

#2857 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Look at the fourth photo just posted by MT45

Thanks for the reply Rosh.

Found it and the opto is working.

So does a switch go red in switch test if it doesn't see activity in so many games, like Bally/Williams?

The more I play it, the more I am enjoying the Balcer playfield layout.

I haven't had any real issues other than the trunk shot seems to be dropping short the last two nights for no apparent reason.
The last three weeks it was rare if it ever missed so may up the solenoid level by one and see.

Looking forward to the next code release as well!

Congrats on a beautiful game! Absolutely brilliant to look at and play!

#2966 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I think that's fair enough if we can get the scoop eject to be more consistent, as it is though that's kinda harsh. I guess it's better than purposely re-directing your attention which much of "magic" really is, lol. Having Seance going with other modes is like trying to juggle water sometimes, but in a good way.

I must be missing someting regarding the scoop eject.

Mine has never shot SDTM from the scoop. Ok, in 170 3 ball games, maybe twice.
It'll trickle out and gently bump off the right slingshot to the left where I can gather it up with the flipper.

Occasionally it'll take two tries to eject a scoop ball.
I'll see it popping it's ball head out like a Whack-A-Mole game before the second eject is successful but never get it SDTM... Weird how so many have this issue.
I agree with ROSH..You always have time to react, no mater where the ball is coming from. No need to tell the player it's gonna be coming from the scoop. Seems almost silly to do that.

#2971 6 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

I've played two different games on location and both of them shot SDTM from the scoop at least 50% of the time if not more. Hopefully they'll be fixed soon as I enjoyed the game but that made me cautious of putting more money in, and completely turned off a friend of mine from wanting to play the game again.

Oh I believe you...
My biggest game issue is bricking the shot somewhere around the KEYLANE entry standups that coming back SDTM before I can blink,
even with the post between the flippers. Wow, would that be frustrating if the post was not there! It saves quite a few of those drains.

#3037 6 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Yes it is. Put your open hand on the glass near the bottom lip and push up.. That's how I do it.

I use the edge of a wood spatula get it lifted up.

#3167 6 years ago

Got my code updated without a hitch.
Love that monkey match at the end of game!
I haven't come across any new "bad hat tricks" yet...

#3200 6 years ago

I noticed when I updated the code last night that all the playfield lights were on except the insert light 'N" on Houdini.
Just odd things I always seem to notice that mean nothing....

#3260 5 years ago

Enjoying my new Houdini but random balls keep hopping up and getting stuck behind the Seance planchete on top of the plastic.
American Pinball? Got a fix or suggestion on this one?
I've probably getting a ball stuck there on every 2-3 games...

#3263 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

are they getting their bouncing off mini-standup targets or when coming out of the scoop? In either case, likely power set to high ether on the flipper or on the scoop eject.

Never lands there from a scoop eject. My scoop has been working very well with rarely no SDTM ejects.
Always a rebound off the mini standups or something in game.
Not sure I can turn down the left flipper power much more. Already set to barely enough to get up that steep right lamp lane ramp.

Was set to 22 on both flippers. I set to 21 and now have problems climbing the right lamp lane.
Also I notice a "squishy" effect on the flippers. A hard returned ball can push the flipper down as it catches it in up position. I've
noticed that before but with the flipper power down it becomes more obvious.

#3343 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Did you up the coil settings?

No I did not. Are you telling me I need to UP the settings?
The Ball Scoop eject has been working perfectly. The balls that get stuck are ricochets from other places.

#3431 5 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Does anyone else experience random multi-balls without any proper MB call-outs? It's almost as if balls are randomly added to my playfield without being in a MB. Wondering if there's something wrong with my game..

Mine has started to do it too after the last Code Update 04/27/18. But it keeps track of the balls in play, ie, when one of the two balls drain, software knows that the other ball is still in play. Happened to me twice in the last 8-10 games.

1 week later
#3594 5 years ago

Question on Houdini Leg Levelers:
My Houdini came missing two of the leg levelers in the box.
I installed two new ones I had in my parts box until Barry at AP sent me out the brown levelers later on.
I noticed this weekend at a friend's house that his Houdini did not have the rear levelers screwed out at all.
They were screwed all the way in just like the front two.
I mentioned it to him and he said it was supposed to be set up that way, that the incline was already preset with all the
levelers screwed in all the way. That this info was in the directions or setup manual. I didn't see that anywhere.
This isn't right, is it?

#3595 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Here's a pic of the hard plastic bumpers that ship with AfMr to compensate for Churchill Cab's dimensions screwup that ended up making the cabs slightly smaller than Williams/Bally standard on AfMr and Houdini (which is why standard cab parts don't fit quite right). Below that is the weatherstripping I cut and put on the inside of the Houdini lockdown to achieve a similar effect.

Were the lockdown bars built by Churchill as well?
Why didn't they just make the lockdown bar 1/4" shorter on the right for Houdini then to compensate, or whoever made the lockdown bars?

#3628 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

That is correct.
6 degrees is where you want to be.

So all the way in on all 4 leg levelers? WOW. My rear levelers have been screwed out about 1-1/2 inches since day one.
There is no bubble level in the game to verify 6% degree angle, is there?

#3635 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Thw lock down bar/front trim is the same lock down bar used forever. To retool the lock down bar would be far to costly.

So if the Churchill cabs are say 1/4" to short width wise, doesn't that make it even a tighter fit for the STD size playfield to go up and down?
Or was this "incorrect width" problem just the outside dimension, not affecting the inner dimension using thinner wood?
Did this cause the inside width of the cabinet to be a little less wide too?

#3636 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

That wil let you 6, which is what Joe likes for the game, and by adjusting the way the legs mount it insures it won't be to flat on location, where often they don't set the levelers. Obviously some folks like it a little steeper/faster, the key is to adjust the flipper strength to be 'just right', making it strong enough to make the ramp, but not too strong where you get air balls. 1 1/2 inches would be pretty steep. Be interesting to see what happens to your scores.

Well, my high score to date has been 618K on a 3 ball game so 1 Million plus, here I come!

#3713 5 years ago

My Houdini 1077 arrived missing two leg levelers. I fortunately had two new extra which I put on the rear legs and by the attached pic, you can see I raised them up about 1" to 1-1/2".
I downloaded this awesome Bubble Level App for my Android phone called Bubble Level Galaxy. It's a really cool ad free app.
I took off my phone protective case and laid the phone on the playfield.
I got exactly 6 degress on the y: axis and 0 degrees on the x: axis which is what I believe that pin should have with all the levelers screwed in all the way.
I have the two new brown levelers from AP that Barry shipped me but haven't put them on yet.
Not even sure if the levelers came already screwed into the legs as it was setup by my dealer.
All the legs are equal in length it would appear (27" from leg bottom to top bolt mount).

And my floor is level too (lol)...so what am I missing here...

HoudiniLegs (resized).jpgHoudiniLegs (resized).jpg

#3717 5 years ago

Carpet can be tricky. The machine sinks in after a couple days. So yes, being on carpet means you may have to raise rear legs a litlle to get to 6 deg.

I re calibrated the APP on my phone and yep, still 6 degrees on the playfield and 14 degrees if I lay it on the glass.
Floor is 100% level.

When I put on the supplied levelers, I'll screw them in per the instructions to see what I get for angle then.

2 weeks later
#4119 5 years ago

Forgive me if this has been answered and I thought I had asked about a solution to this earlier but was there a "fix" or solution to the ball getting stuck behind the planchette? This is happening a a lot to me as of late. I have tried moving the wires and turning the planchette a little to make a way for the ball to get thru but never seems to work long term.

#4122 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Turn your flipper power down by one for each flipper in the coil settings. If you're getting it up there a lot, you're getting too many airballs, which is too much flipper power.
Last I heard (months ago) AP was working on a fix/kit.

No, flipper power is as low as I can go and still make ramp on right.
Sometimes I just brick the crap out of the shots repeatedly and hence the airballs sitting on the middle right plastic.

I do play this game very "strategically" as you are not going to gorilla flipper this game and expect high scores.
It takes much more of a "surgical" approach...which I have been doing.

The power supply system is super sensitive I found out tonight.
I tried activating both flippers when the catapult fired to see if that would affect the distance and the ball fell short of the trunk.
Catapult has been very reliable making that shot otherwise. Was just experimenting...

1 week later
#4236 5 years ago

I've had no reboots and zero scoop eject issues. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones!

The only thing I've noticed is sometimes there is a delay switching between modes or screens, like 1-2 seconds, where that didn't happen on the early code. I am running latest code and that was the first time I noticed the lag every now and then. Also the ball still hanging up behind the planchette.
I'm pretty sure I can use of the suggestions on here to wire tie those cables to the side. Just not a priority yet.

My better half is really starting to appreciate the game as I am too after owning for a couple months. That says something positive if she asks to pplay Houdini first in my collection. Usually it's Bride of Pinbot or Metallica.

I was on the fence after buying it for a first few weeks because of my "bricking" of shots but play better was my solution.
And she has figured it out too.

Gotta hit those shots like a surgeon with finesse.

As I posted before, don't expect to "Gorilla Flip" those flippers and score like a conventional pin. Lots of strategy involved
to get a good score.

#4254 5 years ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

Ive noticed during water escape that the volume is low when he says shoot "left or right orbit". Also the volume for "extra ball" seems low as well.
Extra ball could use a little more flare in how its said or brought out in such a way that its noticed more. My T2 has a great light show for extra ball. TZ pauses the game and has the talking doll drop it off in DMD animations. it seems to me that when when extra ball is announced he seems a little unenthusiastic. which leads me to the excitement in his voice when saying jackpot or amazing. Those have a great impact and more would be better.

Might be cool to add some sexy female quotes to the game from those (2) hottie Houdini girls on the slingshot plastics.

It might be a relief to hear "Oh, come on, you can do better that that!" in a sexy female voice once in a while instead of the phrase
"Oh, you really stink!" that I've heard 1,383 times and is locked in my cerebellum for life! LOL

Maybe get Bess to speak up too! It would add a lot IMHO...

CuJo has spoken...

#4316 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

The magnets work amazingly well I think, I've had it do stuff I've never seen any other game with magnets do. Lots of times in Seance and Man from Beyond there are really crazy "stop and slide" moments when the ball is approaching the flipper and just suddenly jukes ya out. Sometimes I do think the magnets are affecting the flipper, usually the left. I don't know if it's power related (the flipper gets weaker because of the magnets drawing power) or magnetic field related but it's like the flipper half-flips, the next flip is always fine though. I agree with Rosh that those two modes are tough enough as it is, don't think I've ever spelled SEANCE in order yet.

If you or anyone ever spells SEANCE in order, then you better buy a LOTTO ticket that night!

#4417 5 years ago

I looked thru the menus and can't find where you turn on the ball times along with the scores at the end of the game.

Can someone point me?

Also will it reset high scores if I do that? Don't wanna do hi score resets unless I have too.

#4463 5 years ago

Had my first reboot of the Houdini in intense 2 player game. I was in a Multiball, ball 3 I think. Just got another Houdini letter. A ball was in the scoop ready to come out and another went in on top of it. Game rebooted when balls tried to eject. My to be awesome score was DeStRoYeD!!!
Running the latest code: 5/4/18.

#4469 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Even if a game goes to 10 million AND over an hour?

Someone must be getting good!!!

#4470 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Sorry you lost your score, Pull logs and email them to me so I can see what happened.

Ok, Rosh, first time for me pulling logs.
Couple questions:
1. Will the log you need still be there even if I turned off the pin 2 hrs ago?
2. Will it prompt me for a date range for the logs to pull down or does it know what to do?

#4478 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

I would check around each of the coils to see if a Yellow 12 Volt line is caught up in a coil.

Got a pic or can you explain what "caught up in a coil" means?
I've played 320 games so far..1st reboot ever...

#4479 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Make sure there's no update file on the usb. With the game running, insert the usb drive and it will copy the logs to the USB automatically.

Ok. thanks for the info.

#4481 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Make sure there's no update file on the usb. With the game running, insert the usb drive and it will copy the logs to the USB automatically.

I have 15 files = 26.9MB on the USB drive.
ZIP them up first? Send to what email?

1 week later
#4603 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I don't think that was an Escape mode, those are all hurry-ups and it's these shots (will be lit green as long as the Escape timer is still running):
New York - Ramp for 20,000
London - Key Lane for 30,000
Paris - Inner Loop for 40,000
Sydney - Spinner for 50,000
Chicago - Milkcan Loop for 75,000
The only mode I've seen (have not been to the mini-wizards yet) that does anything like you describe is Man From Beyond after you free Houdini from the Ice and the Asylum. At that Point you have to hit the shot that will "find" Houdini, it's the two orbits and the stage but the only way to know which one is to look at the display to see where he's at on the screen (left, right or middle). Very cool mode.

I got to this mode for the first time yesterday during a multiball. Very cool but would suck if this mode came on in a dim or dark room.
It was dusk here and even that made it hard to play the mode. I looked up to see the screen to find Houdini and then drained...oh well. next time.
Still got a decent score of 790K.

#4615 5 years ago

1) I have definitely expected to get a skill shot and not received it; I always figured maybe I didn't hit the switch hard enough, but I think it is more likely what you are experiencing. Interesting! That's a code fix luckily..

I too am 100% sure I am hitting the skill shot targets but no reward. I think the timing of the lights is off as well.

2) The catapult (and to a lesser extent, the scoop coil) is HIGHLY dependent on consistent power from the wall. I am not sure if this is a normal thing for games and it's just more pronounced because of how precise the catapult needs to be, but I can validate that I experience some weirdness with the catapult as well, although not as extreme as you've seen -
For me, I have several games all on one circuit. When I have only Houdini turned on, the catapult nails the trunk consistently. When one or two other games are on, the catapult will start missing. The scoop will also behave strangely, having to try 2 and 3 times to get the ball out. Then when Houdini is the only one on, the ball will come FLYING out of the scoop.

I have the same power issues if another pin is on in the same room and on the same circuit breaker. Even if I tap the flippers when the ball launches with the other two pins off, the ball will drop short of the truck or hit the lip.

I emailed AP about that and they suggested a Variac unit:

ebay.com link: 1 3KW AC Voltage Regulator Variac Variable Transformer Metered 10 20Amp sale new

I'm considering this but for now I just make sure no one has the other two pins on in the same room when playing Houdini.
Just make sure you order the 1000W unit.

#4627 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Theres a reason Bally/Williams/Others put all those big redundant parts into the pinball machines. Just an observation. Not all sites/locations are created equal.

Yes, there's no Big A$$ heavy transformer in Houdini. It's a solid state power supply (correct me if I'm wrong)
and seems to be very susceptible to even the slightest A/C power line change.

I love Houdini and I hope they resolve this power issue in the next pin. I may even invest/try a CP1500AVRLCD UPS.

https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500AVRLCD-Intelligent-Outlets-Mini-Tower/dp/B000FBK3QK/ref=sr_1_3

I have a room of 9 Sterns/Williams/Segas & never had to be concerned about loss of A/C line current while they are all on.
The old transformer "beasts" seem to be able to keep the power smooth and stable no matter what is going on in the game.

Not sure if the Stern Spike2 systems have run into this issue as I don't own a Spike pin.

#4703 5 years ago

Has anyone tried a Variac or a UPS Line Conditioner yet with Houdini yet to see how much it helps?

#4756 5 years ago

Ok guys, not only are you two very lucky...
Your going to love this pin.
Im considering selling several now that this has hit the house.
1) Follow instructions when you open box.
2) Make sure you roll leg levelers all the way up, ie. Touching the bottom of leg, no threads showing.
3) Remove glass, and open coin door, remove coin box, leave it out unless on route.
4) Make sure balls all come out. In instructions.
5) Now set lower catapult, put on 26 if not already. Test all 6 balls in lower catapult, you can just place them in it one at a time. If not making trunk shot increase by 1. Should be fine at 26.
6) If you dont have it yetx install an inclimeter on smart phone, see if you are at 6.5 on playfield with the glass off.
7) How is that lower catpult now?
8) Level, Level, level,nmeaning left to right is balanced.
9) Be careful every time you raise playfield. Its a tight fit, if your not careful you can pop off opto's on right side for subway lock.
10) Put glass back on, dont cheat, Enjoy the hell out of it all night long!.

Can't explain this but I have my rear levelers unscrewed, about 1.5" thread showing, to get to the 6.0 degrees 'y:" axis slope on my playfield (and no, my floor is level). lol
I use the Android app Bubble Level Galaxy. Free and cool!
BTW, my front levelers are screwed all the way in.

#4760 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

A> Those apps are not super accurate
B> Did you calibrate X/Y level in the app before measuring?

Yes. I did calibrate. I can't imagine how slow the ball would be floating around if I made all 4 levelers all the way down.
Try this app on your Houdini and see what you get.

#4765 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Providing their floor is flat and level.

yes, I said that in my original message as I just knew someone would say that Lloyd. lol

#4798 5 years ago

I would not have guessed that.
I thought it was a very nicely done Photoshop job till Rosh commented.
Rosh , I think you just spilled the beans! Nice feature!!!

Bring on that code!!! It doesn't have to be 110% perfect the first time ya know. <g>
That's just the way it goes.

BTW, are there any tech specs or educational literature about the P-Roc system, it's capabilities, the memory size, CPU, etc?
I'd like to learn more about this hardware platform.

How much memory is available for Houdini code for example and how much is currently utilized?

#4852 5 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

Anyone else adjust the sensitivity of their pops? Mine weren't too responsive, but after a quick adjustment, they are nice and snappy.

Mine seem to be getting more snappy the more I play Houdini. I've had mine for 3 months now. They were sorta lethargic at first but they are now very lively without any adjustments made by me.

#4856 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

The code is looking good, but since I am on vacation next week, I'm not going to release it until I get back. I will open up the beta to a few more people, just a few, so, PM if you want to participate.

Isn't it a tad bit early for Oktoberfest???

#4875 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Makes me a little crazy when I see folks just cut down the box, when we have those there to make it easy to just side it out, but I get that is how many are used to do it. But if you cut the box, then how do your kids make a fort out of it, or use it as a tank or . . . .

Funny you should say that Rosh....should start a thread on pinball box uses next...
Here's where my Houdini box ended up... "2 Devils being married??"

#4888 5 years ago

That is frickin adorable! What great kids!
This video has cute factor of 10++

Thanks, they do have quite the imagination!!!
They love their AP playhouse!! It's been 3 months and they play in it everyday!

#4889 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Too funny, my favorite line "I tried to make the tooth fairy but it didn't work out!" lol You got your moneys worth just with the box. They will never forget the great house dad bought them. Thanks for sharing.

I'm not their dad. These cuties are my fiance's daughter's children.
I do have 5 grandkids of my own and these two make 7!!! Yikes!

Her name is Chloee . She is 4. She is a trip for sure!!! She starts kindergarten this year.

His name is Blakke. He's starting 1st grade this year. He's 5.

I don't think that box is going anywhere for a long time!!!

#4964 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Since a setting was added to give more time per mode I can get one or two modes (Illusion) completed and maybe the first combo and if I’m on fire perhaps a movie. I’m an average player.
I think I’m really going to have to dial down the difficulty level to have hope of reaching any mini wizard mode.

I completed all the modes in my best game to date (1.7+ Million). I thought something would happen but it just rolled over and started all the modes again...I need to read the ruleset again. I thought the mini wizard mode started after that.

#5025 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Just to be clear, for the mini-lcd on playfield, but you will likely never need it

Are these now included with every new Houdini?
You probably knew that question was coming...LOL

#5056 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Magicians in this place were certainly not Houdini experts
[quoted image]

I can see the "Now Hiring" sign in the window too!

#5098 5 years ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

I was playing Houdini and then this happened....
[quoted image]

oooooooowwww. a new Mario Interactive Video Mode!!!

#5130 5 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Hi , i tried loading a custom message and after enabling it , i am in a constant reboot loop (houdini loading screen with progress bar) .
How do i get back to normal?

Just guessing but you'll probably have to update the code from the USB again... should at least solve the looping.

#5138 5 years ago

Great progress on the game code Rosh. Feels even more fluid and I think I heard more audio sound tracks than from the last Beta?
Audio seems more crisp and some of the sound bytes aren't overlapping as badly as before.

Just played a 5 ball game..not one issue..Got 665,000 and had 390,00 on the first ball!
I seem to have mastered the milkcan loop shot now on demand.Finally! Did it three times in a row!
That alone made my night on Houdini.

#5154 5 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Glad you got yours working! The image posted from Josh is 120 dpi .
I do appreciate the effort put into this game; and as a bit of constructive criticism, i do not care for the new movie mode voice. Seems out of place and muffled compared to the rest of the package. The female voice i wasn't thrilled with , but it seemed to fit the time period somehow. &lt;yes i know it can be turned back to the other voice&gt;
Interested if others share the same opinion. I was up until 3am playing a nice 3mil game![quoted image]

Yeah, I too am not at all thrilled with the new male film mode announcer voice.
Sound likes he's a older heavy smoker/ heavy drinker and not at all appealing to listen to.
Sorry Rosh.. I have to agree with ezelltmann..

#5155 5 years ago

Seems like everyone wants a custom message!
I will wait a while to try on mine to see if the issues are figured out first but
as a .PNG file, it can be a mixture of graphics/text/colors as long as it's 72 DPI?

#5156 5 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Yeah, I too am not at all thrilled with the new male film mode announcer voice.
Sound likes he's a older heavy smoker/ heavy drinker and not at all appealing to listen to.
Sorry Rosh.. I have to agree with ezelltmann..

Glad there is a voice choice option..Will dig thru menu for it.

#5190 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Just tested a 3 player game and sure enough, after the curtains close following the end of ball 3 for player 3 and before it shows the summary screen the game reboots. I pulled the logs following the reboot and sent them to you Rosh.

This was set to a 3 ball game, not 5 balls?
Update: Sorry, I saw where you said summary screen.
I wonder if it would do the same error on a 5 ball 3 player game?

#5235 5 years ago

I contact Cyberpower about the "Continuous" 120VAC line voltage with their Cyberpower CP1500AVR UPS.

This was their reply:
Thank you for contacting CyberPower Tech Support.
This unit does not adjust the voltage unless it goes below 100 or over 140.
If you need your voltage to be locked in at 120 no matter what the input voltage, then you need a double conversion unit. These are a very different class of products usually used only in corporate server room environments. The closest equivalent product is the OL1500RTXL2U.

https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/ol1500rtxl2u/

These are $635 on Amazon so that idea is out...
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss

#5238 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

The power company in my area says it's the responsibility of the device manufacturer to regulate the power it requires.
This seems fair enough.
Since they guarantee the lowest power to be 110v.
All that the device manufacturers need to do is regulate the maximum power consumption to 110v.
It does seem odd that pinball machines regulate power to a certain degree but are affected by voltage drops of 10v or less.
I'm looking for a cost effective solution for this.

I thought AP was working on a possible voltage solution for the catapult? Is this still happening AP?

#5266 5 years ago

Question for Barry or Rosh:

What gauge wire is used in the power cord that ships with Houdini?

Do you think a heavier gauge power cord would handle the wall voltage drops better for the catapult?

I know I had reset issues with my WCS94. I used a heavier gauge power cord and the issues went away for a year, well at least before the reset issue got worse due to the bridge rectifiers failing.
I installed a Kahr power fix daughter board to the CPU board and never had to fix the rectifiers after that.

#5267 5 years ago

If there was a contest for the most ingenious (new) pinball engineered gadget, the Houdini Stage would be right up there near the top, if not the winner!

1 week later
#5471 5 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Funny call out on the tilt as well

I've gotten tilt warnings with the big yellow screen with a buzzer sound but no tilt voice yet.
Does it only talk to you when you've tilted the game?

1 week later
#5693 5 years ago

Yes, Mr Kugler has been absent here for quite some time...

Hope all is well and just busy!

#5740 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Sorry I have been MIA, between being sick and being locked away working on game 2, have not had much time to breathe, let alone be on pinside. Did not see anything urgent. I will ask again about the knocker kit, not sure why those are not yet available.
I will post a bug fix release early next week.

Great to see you back to the Land Of The Living Rosh!

Missed your posts here...

#5819 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Have faith.
They took an escape artist who died 96 years ago and made a great pin.
Octoberfest is a weeks long carnival/party/celebration. They have a lot to work with beyond German maidens clutching 6 beer steins in each hand.

I can see the OktoberFest video mode now..
A gorgeous German Beer Maiden will pull an Iron Maiden out of a Beer Stein and say "Not Today...Not Today"... (head shaking back and forth).

#5827 5 years ago

Houdini Code Error Alert: (latest code)
2 player game tonight, Myself and My Houdini Loving/Hating Girl...(depends if she's having a good game or not)..

Both our scores matched with last digit "6" offered up from the cymbal crashing monkey but only got one knocker sound, not two...

In other words, the game didn't reward us with double knockers... (no kidding. you can't make this stuff up)...

#5971 5 years ago
Quoted from pbwizard14:

This thread has stopped me from buying this machine for now. I have a deposit and down payment in at Little Shop of Games, but I am not going to complete the transaction until this machine plays properly from the factory and the posts reflect that. This was to be my second NIB, first was LOTR which I no longer have. Not a Stern fan for any title. I have been waiting for another company and title I could get behind, JJP has good games, but not titles that interest me. This machine looked good and the AP has been working on making it better throughout, but I just cannot finish the purchase until it is completely right. This may still be my second NIB, but for now, I am on the sideline and looking forward to seeing other games that have been announced.

I am glad I got my Houdini. I am only hoping for two things to make the game "perfect" in my eyes.
1. The catapult shot works almost 95% of the time, esp. if I have my other pins off in that room. So a definite voltage picky game
for that too work right. I too think they should address that in future games. No one should have to buy a variac to get it to work right.
2. The coding of the game. I think the animations are tremendous but the code, although fun, is still needing a lot of tweaking/cleanup. I'm sure it's coming but I wish it was a little faster. Rosh did mention he had a bug patch release coming soon last week. I feel although the game itself is awesome and a ton of fun to play all the modes etc, you'll notice some lag times in the code in certain situations. Not sure if it's the type of programming language the game uses as it certainly is different than JJP or STERN...Not a bad thing, just different.

1 week later
#6087 5 years ago

How is the latest code holding up for everyone?
I think Rosh said posted here was a bug release coming a couple weeks ago. Any news from the AP camp on this?

#6089 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

So far so good - there are some bugs in the latest release (the Master Magician mode causing a game reset being the biggest one!) but the majority of them are little things, sometimes shots not registering in certain modes, not starting things, etc

Yep. I was in a film mode, shooting the spinner lane during the countdown. At exactly zero, I locked the ball in the stage that was to start Bullet Catch. The stage door shut on the ball. Pin sat idle for maybe 10-13 seconds then shot a ball into play out of the scoop.

#6094 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

The Stage Door should be shut when a FILM mode is running, it is never a shot for any of the FILM modes except Man From Beyond which is a shot to the door and not into the stage. If it was open when you were in a FILM mode that's a completely different bug or failure (have never seen it happen on my game) and may explain why the game was "confused" as to the ball being in there.

What happened is the code got confused as when the countdown was just counting down past one, I looped the ball around adding 10 more seconds to the film mode. Then the Stage opened and BULLET CATCH lit up on the API screen. I made that shot just as the second countdown was at zero.
Stage Door then closed on the ball..and got the long delay.

4 weeks later
#6575 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Isn’t the first shot in Bullet Catch to the inner loop? Or am I misunderstanding what you meant

Sorry, just saw this post.
I shot the ball into the stage just as the announcer counted down to zero from a Film Mode.
Bullet Catch was the mode on the stage mini LCD.
Door shut on the ball, then nothing for 20+ seconds.
The Bullet Catch mode never started. A ball came out of the scoop and then it was just random play. No announcement on shotting this or that or the video associated with Bullet Catch mode.

#6593 5 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Looks like a defective motor for the captive ball. Had the same problem and got a new theatermech from AP.

Yikes!
Seems to happen only before bullet catch and the ball goes into the stage and locks.
Is there a way to test to be sure it's the mech and not the software?

#6666 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

AP - do an excellent job on O.F. Don't release it before it is thoroughly tested and ready. Don't update the code 40 times after it is shipping.
All the above could have been worded in the positive sense for O.F. but I feel the above applies to your first machine.

You're ridiculous. The Houdini code hasn't been updated more than 5-6 times since it shipped and even if it was 40 times it would mean they are at least improving/working on it and not abandoning it.

#6689 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's been updated at least a dozen times, but nowhere near 40. Sometimes it was updated twice in one WEEK. I have 9 official releases still saved to my computer, and that's not nearly all of them because there were a bunch of betas I didn't save.
But I'd much rather have MORE releases than less. Things like Ghostbusters with serious bugs that make the Champion scorekeeping useless, or eternal multiball bug on Game of Thrones left that way for years is just lazy. Josh is very responsive to serious bugs found. Probably the MOST responsive in pinball at the moment.

I was referring to "official" releases only, not the beta ones thou. Just curious if Josh is the only one writing code or the new guy they brought in from Heighway pinball is coding too. (Can't remember his name at the moment).

#6728 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

On multiplayer games I have noticed some ball count confusion like that, and what seems like short freezes of the software. Hasn't happened on single player. It is tough to document it.

Same thing I am experiencing too..Also only happens on 2 Player games for My Chickie Poo & I

1 week later
#7031 5 years ago

Now you are making me miss my TZ...

One of my all time favorite bands. Unfortunately one band I never got to see play live.

#7047 5 years ago
Quoted from CoPinfan:

Has anyone tried to mod the new power supply with quieter fans (ala stern PS fan mod)? Looks like there are two fans. They aren't as loud as the stern fan, but it would be nice if they were a little quieter.

With the front cabinet door shut, it can still be heard? Figured being enclosed would hush them up quite a bit, not like Stern's whiney PS fans that vent directly outside.

#7071 5 years ago

Not willing to get my passport renewed and fly to the Netherlands to see them.
If they ever get to the USA, probably....

You never know. I just saw Uriah Heep last Valentine's Day @ The Hard Rock Venue in Orlando, FL
Never thought they'd make the US again either ...

1 week later
#7259 5 years ago

Rosh,
Just curious if this was the bug I found?
Also are the palms of Houdini's hands in the LCD attract mode now glowing or am I imagining it?

#7300 5 years ago

On the last beta code drop, had a two player 5 ball game finish and the cymbal clapping match monkey did not show up...
Game just showed the two final scores.

#7356 5 years ago

Yes. Once in awile.
Could be loose or dirty opto, could be code related.
I consider it a random bonus feature at this point.

I got a "add-a-ball" during handcuff king mode. After one ball drained the other kept playing normally so the game "knew"
a second ball was added..don't think this was a intended action in the code but at least in didn't clobber my game...

1 week later
#7418 5 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

I see it. Looks like the display ate your eight.

And one decimal place...
15 million? Really? Congrats! And it looks like only ball 3 was in play.

I guess the game wasn't designed to properly show over 9,999,999 in the BIG numbers with the old skool ratchet wheels. lol

#7424 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I haven't seen a poll on this yet, so what the heck... What are your top 3 favorite Houdini stage modes to play. Not the easiest, or most challenging or highest scoring, but the ones you are most psyched to play and enjoy playing. They are so different, this should be interesting...
Just to refresh memories, alphabetically, the list is...
Bullet Catch
Card Scaling video mode
Chinese Water Torture Cell
Handcuff Escape
Indian Needle Swallow
Metamorphosis
Milkcan't Escape (sorry... couldn't resist)
Straight Jacket Escape
Vanishing Elephant
Walk Through Walls
11th secret stage mode (just kidding about that...or am I?)[quoted image]

1. King Of Cards
2. Indian Needle Trick
3. The Secret 11th Stage Mode

I seem to have the toughest time w/ The Vanishing Elephant...

1 week later
#7526 5 years ago

I've been noticing the ball hopping in front of the left sling the last few games.

On close inspection of that playfield area, I found this tiny plastic piece adhered to the playfield just to the right of the left sling (by the playfield lock graphic).

It was stuck there by some type of glue on the backside and needed to be pulled off the playfield with care.

I've looked in the high impact areas and haven't found where this broke off from yet.

Any ideas?

Houdinipart (resized).jpgHoudinipart (resized).jpg
#7531 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Flipper topper

Yep. It was off the right flipper tip.
Thanks!

#7572 5 years ago

Code Update:
I've only played maybe 2-3 games since the "Official" code update released on the AP website.
How's everyone doing with it?
I didn't have any issues with the games I played.
As far as wanted features:
I'd like to be able to press START and restart a game if on the second ball like the Bally/Williams/Sterns do.

2 months later
#8200 5 years ago

Hello all fellow Houdini owners!
Been over two months since the last "offical" code release.
Was curious if there was any new BETA code to test or if there are any new releases coming out soon?

I actually know this pin will get better with time but it feels the newer code is doing more conditional checking of variables during game play, I see 3-4 seconds of pause time before game will respond at times. I feel sometimes this delay causes the game to maybe loose ball count track too.

I played a Houdini at FreePlay Florida last year and it reminded me on how "snappier" and responsive the code was back in the early releases.

Anyone else notice this behavior on the newer code or is it possible my Houdini having other issues?

#8227 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Picked up a Houdini this week and found these inside. What are these decals and ribbon cable for? The 2 square decals are extra spinner decals I assume?
[quoted image]

AP did not include the ribbon cable and mini board for the API Grand in the early pins. (March 2018)
At least I did not get one in my coin box. I did get those stick on decals however

#8228 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Thought I would add these pics so others can see the API topper. Once again thanks to Barry for the help[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

How is it you have an Octoberfest in that one pic to the right of the Houdini?
Are they shipping or you doing development work for AP?
Thanks..

CuJo

2 weeks later
#8520 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

personally I dislike the monkey in the game and have turned off the match play. I think it is his distressed look that bothers me.
The vintage monkey you found at least looks pleasant, at least he is dressed nice. depending on the voltage you might be able to integrate into the game.

I do believe the monkey is distressed for a very good reason....

1 week later
#8590 5 years ago

Just wondering if the bugs found in the latest beta code is going to push up the official release date?

#8652 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Those who watched our absolutely riveting seminar at TPF know the answer to this question. Also, if you really know your Houdini Trivia, you can probably guess at when it will be.

C'mon April 6th!

#8684 5 years ago

New code loaded ok.
Played 2 player game. I was player two.
Got Straight Jacket mode.
Picked reversed w/ inverted flippers.
Pin rebooted about 12 seconds into that mode..

#8726 5 years ago

Rosh,
Played a 4 player game with the latest code since the reboot snafu (audio knocker culprit) and got thru all 4 games (5 balls) with no issues, no extra balls getting thrown in at random or any other mysterious wackiness!

My REAL Beta Tester is coming over tomorrow to play a few 2 player games with me.
If there's still a bug, she has the knack for exposing or finding them!!! LOL

#8735 5 years ago

Possible Bug on 4.7.19 code:
Stage marquee LCD said one More Hit to open stage but it was already open.
Ball went in stage and Metamorphis started just fine.

Observation: I did notice the Stage door will open and shut at odd times, showing a locked ball inside on top of the captive ball arm. Just as it starts to lower the stage door will shut and the stage mode will start. Is this normal behavior for the new code?

All in all, I'd say this release is the most stable yet. Played about 8 games so far and no "wackiness"

#8844 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I get a weird light array on powering up. Am on new code with default brightness settings. The lights go back to normal for ball 2 or when game is restarted. This may be part of problem with P roc that Josh is working on.
[quoted image]

I had that same lighting issue after both latest code updates (official).
Went away after I played the game both times.

#8856 5 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I had that same lighting issue after both latest code updates (official).
Went away after I played the game both times.

Update:
I read some other comments since this post and my GF sometimes will hit start button twice when the new code is like 50% or more loaded so she gets a kick out of the pin "remembering" she pressed START twice for two players. That's when I noticed all the INSERT lights on very bright until Player One First Ball is played.

#8891 5 years ago

Thanks for sharing. Too bad the Chinese Water Torture tank was burned up. I wonder how and who did that?

#8921 4 years ago

My request had more to do with cheap drains than my bad skills as a player.
Balls often drain off the launch either via the random scoop exit or a bounce off the slings via a random shooter launch.
Fortunately the scoop eject has a built in ball save, its used all the time.
The shooter auto launch does not.
Stage acts are the main focus of the game.
To not be able to get one flip due to a cheap drain as soon as an act is started is unfair.
To not be able to flip a ball due to a random side drain, or more frustrating, a stage bounce out, when the encore starts is also unfair.
Due to the annoying stage bounceouts it often takes 2 or 3 direct hits to the stage to get it to stick. This is with flippers at +1.
It shouldnt be random to stick the stage from a direct clean shot.
A ball save would really help keep the game flowing.

Did you ever have any success with shock absorbing material inside the stage to take some of the "sting" of a hard shot or was that another Pinsider?

1 week later
#8941 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

A failed master magician mode. I completed the stage acts, and 4 of 5 films, and Seance before time ran out.

I have never gotten that far into a game ...yet. Congrats!
Do you have it set for a 4 ball game?
Game ended at the end of ball 4.

2 weeks later
#8968 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I had a really odd MM last night. It started up fine, but as balls drained they were never recycled back into play. I just stood there listening to the chatter and call outs, but no balls for a very long time. Then one ball popped out and the it went to the single ball, 60 second phase. The recycle of the single ball was very slow too, the wait lasting about 15 seconds. Needless to say that pinball ball without the ball yields pretty low scoring games, so I "FAILED!"
I've generally noticed during regular play that there are some pretty long lag times and it seems the game has lost track of the fact that a ball has drained or gone down the scoop, etc.
I'm going to try again tonight to see what happens. Other than that, the game has played much better since the last update a few weeks [months?] back. Still awesome.

I too have noticed some lag getting the balls to fire out onto the playfield once I start Seance Multiball. Sometime 5-8 seconds pass before one shoots out and then the other is right behind it.
I am using the latest April 2019 code (unless I missed an update).
The GOOD NEWS is that this pin is usually played as 2 players with my better half and so far we haven't had to much wonkiness (No pin intended), like random reboots or extra balls coming out when they shouldn't, etc. There are other points in the game where there is a substantial delay (can't think of the modes right now) but they eventually start. Good Job Rosh getting the code this far. I had ignored playing the pin for some time until the code got cleaned up some but with the latest code we have played 10+ games without any real issues. Finally settling in...

2 months later
#9286 4 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

I’m trading my HUO Monster Bash for a Houdini + cash next weekend. Super pumped about picking one of these beauties up, can someone tell me if the March 2018 production date is later in the run and are there any know issues I should address? The seller already did the American Pinball power supply upgrade.
Thanks[quoted image]

Bought my NIB Houdini #1077 March 14, 2018. Haven't had any real operating issues or breakdowns ...other than the power issues many have referred to on here if too many pins are on on one circuit, the catapult ball launch may fall short and the flippers feel a tad weaker. I have the optional P/S but haven't put it in yet.

2 months later
#9574 4 years ago

How many Houdini owners on this thread have also purchased a Oktoberfest?

If so, was wondering how you feel that code "performs" compared to Houdini's most recent code, which hasn't been updated in awhile (4/7/19).

I too am hoping Rosh or possibly Ferret for more polish or optimization to the code.

My Houdini has some slowness getting the balls to come out after starting Seance Multiball (sometimes takes 10 seconds to get two more balls fired out onto the playfield). Used to be a lot quicker than that.

#9578 4 years ago
Quoted from pimseb:

Hello.
I have a houdini pinball since 3 days. Everything worked fine the first day but now I have a problem. If the ball comes into the scene it gets stucked and no mission is being launched. I've tested the scene motor and everything works fine (open curtain, close curtain, captive ball up and down).
I've also tested the switch and they do work (front of stage, stage, back of stage, stage exit do react when I put my hand in front of them). But when in the game there is no reaction when the ball comes into the scene hole. I've tried with a paper and sometimes the curtain closes itself but very hardly and I need to try several times
Please help
Thank you

I too have noticed that when I shoot a ball into the stage to start a mode , like Metamorphosis, the stage door will not close until after the onscreen introduction. Then I see the ball sitting on top of the captive ball start to descend as the stage door shuts.
Is this normal or was the function changed in the 4/2019 code?
I seem to remember the stage door always shutting first before on screen intro.

#9580 4 years ago
Quoted from pimseb:

I just found out my mistake : I didn't know thé stage calibration option. Now everything works fine

Is that possibly my issue as well?

2 months later
#9768 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Although it’s not a big deal for me, is there anybody else having reset issues? On occasion my game resets when things get complex. For example, the other night I had “the great jail escape“ and “séance” mode stacked. All of a sudden, the game reset. This happens somewhat rarely and only when stacking, but I wondered if others experience this, and if folks think it’s related to something a code update would fix.
Also, Is it true that API is unveiling its next game at the Texas show? I’m set to go, so I’m really curious to hear if this is accurate.

Yes, code still needs "cleaning up". Would be a great Christmas gift..(Rosh?) LOL
I also heard from someone that the next AP game was being revealed at TPF.

2 months later
#9940 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

Updated the code to the latest release and happy to report not a single problem since doing so.
Thank you both for your help!

I beta tested the last code release (not the current one Rosh is working on). The game would reset when the REPLAY score was reached and the Audio Knocker fired. That was fixed in the last official release though. Odd if that issue would have snuck back in on the latest Beta however.

1 month later
#10132 4 years ago

Sorry if this has been asked before but are all the production lines shut down at Chicago Gaming, Stern, JJP & AP?
Wondering if they allow every other work station to keep the required 6' or more distance....

#10204 4 years ago

I've played 4 games of Houdini with the released 12/2019 BETA code and I haven't had any issues yet. To me it's been more reliable than the last official released code from 4/19.

#10208 4 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Well I mean, if you played 4 games and it looks good then the code must be solid. The rest of us with ball tracking issues must have loose optos from opening the door to install beta code.
sorry couldn't resist.

I actually had some ball tracking issues before this BETA release. Now I don't. (so far)..I know 4 games isn't enough.
One of the things I noticed on the official 4/19 code was when Seance Mutliball started it took 5-10 seconds for the other two balls to get into play. Now within a few seconds all 3 balls get going.

2 months later
#10499 3 years ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

No, not an owner. Just do more than our share keeping those owners financially sound.

I used to live in Silver Spring MD from birth to 6 years old before moving to Mass. Lived right at University and Dearborn Ave. if you know where that is.

3 weeks later
#10758 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

I almost have my Houdini dialed in. My only remaining issue is the seance scoop. some times, it looks like the ball hits the top of the scoop and falls back into scoop. Adjusting power doesn't seem to help.
I read old post by Rosh. What have others done to address this?
Thanks.

My Seance scoop does the same thing. I think the second eject attempt adds a bit of power and ball then comes out. I tried raising the power setting but it didn't seem to help so I just deal with it.

6 months later
#12172 3 years ago

Updated tonight without a hitch. No issues, played a 2 player game with my better half. Enjoyed the new sound effects rolling thru the inlanes.
Made a great game better...saw the mystery spinner bonus in the display..neat add in.

#12275 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I forgot to paste the link, oops! https://www.curitisbelle.store/product/fdj/?fbclid=IwAR1KM5P5Tu98uepu2Oc9ooMlwW14awn7WnNRqcdE0TalfEyJt5l_JMMGysI
I have no idea if this place is reputable / reliable or anything else so proceed with appropriate caution if you do buy from them.

Very cool. Too bad they didn't post a video of it in action.

5 months later
#12809 2 years ago

Had my first Houdini reset tonight with the latest official code and I've played maybe 30 or so.

Odd because it happened right after I started KING OF CARDS video mode. Had a 2 player game going, I was the second player and I was on Ball 5.

Throwing my first card, watched it fly for a second, then the pin rebooted.

I let the game start up normally but did not start a new game and turned it off.

I'd like to send Rosh the file so maybe he can diagnose what caused the reboot.

Can someone tell me how to write the file out?

From what I remember, I put in and empty FAT32 formatted USB (4GB is what I use) and turn on the pin to write the data.
Is this right?

#12813 2 years ago

Just so others know what exactly caused the reboot of Houdini in King Of Cards video mode, here it is:

Once KOC video mode starts, immediately throw the first card from the right flipper into the first target screen
with a double ring opportunity and make both rings.

#12823 2 years ago

I love making both rings during King of Cards.

Me too. I must add that the reboot occurred as both rings came from both sides heading towards the center of the screen and I made the first card shot as a double ring hit in the center of screen with the first card thrown from the right flipper. Was trying to do it for fun tonight but I noticed that the rings always come out randomly so the "setup" may not occur each time.

#12837 2 years ago

I agree that King Of Cards is my favorite video mode of any pin I have played. I even enjoyed verifying the reset bug on purpose last night just cause it caught me off guard the first time.

Now I will avoid this bug, especially if I have a great score going.

If someone is beating me, I can do a OOOPS! What just happened?? LOL

1 month later
#13027 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Power supplies have a safety and possible it got tripped by a quick power cycle, I’ve seen it before. They reset after a few minutes.

Even the original Houdini power supplies or just the newer ones?

1 year later
#14361 1 year ago

I just found out tonigjht that Josh was no longer with American Pinball.
(Yeah, I'm way behind on things)..

He was great and always did so much to help the end user directlywith Houdini, allowing users to Beta Test, etc.
Very uncommon in todays world.

Anyway, I miss not seeing him on the board anymore.

Anyone now where or what he has moved on too?

1 month later
#14453 1 year ago

I have one of the original Houdinis when they first starting shipping and has been really a solid perfomer.

But lately the ball release on the left upper playfield isn't retracting all the way down in to release one ball when needed.
The plastic pin will almost drop down far enough to release one ball but will pop back up before that happens.

What should I be looking for to set this mech correct before I lift the playfield?

Sorry if this has been covered before...
Thanks in Advance!

CuJo

#14462 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

there possible issues,
1) it is not going down far enough,
2) it is not staying down long enough
3) balls are not rolling cleanly so are not passing the post before it comes up.
I suggest taking off the glass, and first wipe down the left lock area to be sure there is nothing preventing the balls from rolling. Then go into service mode -settings > coils and engage the high power switch. Then roll a ball into the left lock, and it should immediately release it. This will let you better see what is happening without having to do it in game play. Shooting slow motion video might help shed light.
The 'coil settings' for drop posts are not actually a 'power' thing but a time thing. so you can try increasing the time which witill hold the post down longer and see if that sheds any light or solves it (if too long then more than one ball will pass through, so you need to test with multiple balls. I believe you can disengage power, roll a ball in, engage power, and then roll another ball into simulate that.
Possible there is some binding, so the post is not dropping at proper speed so is not down long enough, so make sure it moves freely. It is possible the post adjustment is off, but that would typically result in the post being too low.

Thanks Rosh for the detailed explanation.

So it doesn't happen every game. Once a ball search starts, the ball typically then will release from the left upper lock.

I haven't wiped down or tinkered with any mechs since I bought the game so it might be binding or need some cleaning/waxing in that area as you suggest. You covered all the options to check for sure...

3 months later
#14639 11 months ago

Bought one of the first Houdini's when they first came out.
The left Key Lane plastic front tip has broken off due to, of course, the ball whacking it over the years.
This plastic is in front of the Seance 'E" target or I should say behind.

I have emailed America Pinball twice over the last 3 weeks and get no response...

Anyone know of a better way other than calling them?

Thank you,
CuJo

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CUJO.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread?tu=CUJO and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.