20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 92 of 297.
#4551 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

You can with the exception of Bullet Catch, and Straitjacket

The magic stand-ups -- FYI, no ball save at all if set to 'low'. They will only do a save if you are in one ball play, so it is likely the game had not yet finished 'processing' the second drain, so believe there was still another ball in play, even when that one hit the outlane.

Lightshows can impact all lamp and there would not be much of an effect if some lights did not change with it, but typically they should return to their current state quickly (e.g. within a second of the show completing), is there a particular time you are seeing a delay in it updating?

The five second restart is not yet reliable in making sure the game stops clean, at a minimum it is not properly stopping music and not starting the new game, however, it should not reboot. After it ends, a second press of the tart button should then start a game, but still needs further testing to be sure it is a clean start. It was not meant to be live in the 18.5.4 code.

- I'll test the Escape hurry-ups in Theater modes.

- Escape is a good example of the light show. If you complete Escape there is a 2-3 sec light show in green but the ball is in play and could be heading for an inlane and you can't see what's lit and what's not.

- Good to know about the restart

Thanks rosh - It's an awesome game!

#4552 5 years ago

PinballSTAR will be at ReplayFX again in 2018 ! WITH HOUDINI !

We are planning on having the following games (subject to change) :

JJP :
Wizard of Oz (will bring only if pre-sold)
Hobbit (will bring only if pre-sold)
Dialed In - open for play and NIB
Pirates of the Caribbean - open for play

Chicago Gaming :
Medieval Madness Remake (will bring only if pre-sold)
Attack From Mars Remake (will bring only if pre-sold)

American Pinball :
Houdini - open for play and NIB

Spooky :
TNA - open for play
Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle - open for play

Homepin :
Thunderbirds - open for play

VP Cabs :
Vertigo - open for play
Vortex - open for play

Pre-orders for free delivery to the show ? YUP we'll do that...

We will bring INVISIGLASS if anyone wants to pre-order before the show - discounts for multiple sheets - we will ONLY bring what is pre-sold. Email Sales@PinballSTAR for pricing.

Email Joe at [email protected] for our full price list.

Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements
[email protected]
570-357-0042

PS Logo (resized).jpgPS Logo (resized).jpg
#4553 5 years ago

Anyone have suggestions on how to get the pop bumpers more responsive? Mine are very lethargic and one doesn't want to fire unless rocket shot into. Reminds me, need to reach out to support - missing tilt bob.

#4554 5 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Anyone have suggestions on how to get the pop bumpers more responsive?

Leaf blade switches under them ?

Then this - When you adjust a leaf blade switch for the pop bumper. Power off. Look at it below the playfield. A plastic rod sticks down from the pop bumper skirt and pushes a plastic spoon fixed to a lead blade. Be sure the rod is centered on the spoon. ( on an older game be sure the rod isn't worn or spoon is dirty where the rod rides ) Then the spoon blade should just be resting on the rod, not pushing it. The shorter bottom one should be close enough so the slightest ball hit triggers it, but vibration doesn't.

LTG : )

#4555 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Leaf blade switches under them ?
Then this - When you adjust a leaf blade switch for the pop bumper. Power off. Look at it below the playfield. A plastic rod sticks down from the pop bumper skirt and pushes a plastic spoon fixed to a lead blade. Be sure the rod is centered on the spoon. ( on an older game be sure the rod isn't worn or spoon is dirty where the rod rides ) Then the spoon blade should just be resting on the rod, not pushing it. The shorter bottom one should be close enough so the slightest ball hit triggers it, but vibration doesn't.

Curious LTG, do they make a lighter internal rebound spring for pops? Never looked but it does seem like the ones on API are firm and require more bump to activate.

#4556 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Curious LTG, do they make a lighter internal rebound spring for pops? Never looked but it does seem like the ones on API are firm and require more bump to activate.

I don't know of any different internal springs. If they come from various sources, it is possible a manufacturing difference in material used. Same with the leaf blade switch with the spoon, I don't know of any firmer or softer blades.

I don't have a game to check. Maybe rosh can chime in and see if a different spring is in there or if Houdini has it's pop bumper leaf blade switches set less sensitive for a reason ?

#4557 5 years ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

Has nothing to do with the magic targets, im talking about the two ball save modes, spelling seance with 30 flips and the other one...

Those modes are a 'last chance' kind of a thing, I don't think it makes sense to have it be a ball save in MB and then not have it available to potentially play your way back to life when you drain with just one ball in play.

#4558 5 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Anyone have suggestions on how to get the pop bumpers more responsive? Mine are very lethargic and one doesn't want to fire unless rocket shot into. Reminds me, need to reach out to support - missing tilt bob.

Tilt Bob -- I believe you got your game from Jesse, so, you probably need to ask him about it, guessing he never installed it.

Check the gapping on the switches, the shirt position and its placement in the spoon, also makes sure the switch contacts are totally clean. Also check there there are washers where the ring connects to the yoke (if there is enough thread you can also look to add an additional washer).

If this does not help, contact Barry

#4559 5 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

- Escape is a good example of the light show. If you complete Escape there is a 2-3 sec light show in green but the ball is in play and could be heading for an inlane and you can't see what's lit and what's not.

Tricky, you want the lightshows so you know what is going on and that you have made shots, and we are talking about a pretty narrow window of time, so, I think this is a case where "hey, it's pinball"

#4560 5 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

I had the exact same problem and finally have it where I want it, I may still adjust the left one a little more but they are WAY better than they were. I had adjusted the switches many, many times but the actual fix was "cleaning" the switches. My game was NIB so I didn't think that would be necessary, and there is no sign of any dirt coming off of them but I could see the switch blades were touching but when measured with a meter were still not conducting until you really pushed them together to make them swipe across each other. After cleaning all three with a rough stock business card they are now as sensitive as I'd expect them to be. I saw a similar thing happen with brand new Stern EOS switches a buddy was putting in a game, you could see they were touching but until we cleaned them up they wouldn't conduct, must have some kind of coating on the contacts from the manufacturing process.

#4561 5 years ago

After 5 videos and a bunch of pictures, Barry was able to help me find why my flipper was annoyingly weak (seriously the thing was driving me nuts). We went through adjusting and tightening everything on the assembly, and it turns out that there’s just no coil sleeve.

That’s so unusual that I didn’t even think to look to see if it was missing. Doh!

#4562 5 years ago
Quoted from enkiktd:

... and it turns out that there’s just no coil sleeve.

Look at how many inspections this got through, scary

#4563 5 years ago
Quoted from enkiktd:

After 5 videos and a bunch of pictures, Barry was able to help me find why my flipper was annoyingly weak (seriously the thing was driving me nuts). We went through adjusting and tightening everything on the assembly, and it turns out that there’s just no coil sleeve.
That’s so unusual that I didn’t even think to look to see if it was missing. Doh!

9 times out of 10, its something simple.
Just like oil on new factory leafs mentioned above. Kudos to Barry for helping you through this.

#4564 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Scary, No. Its an assembly line, things happen.

#4565 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

They likely buy the flipper mechs preassembled. And it easily passed testing. Then got bounced around enough in shipping to pop up. Crap happens.

Quoted from bobukcat:

I had adjusted the switches many, many times but the actual fix was "cleaning" the switches.

Before adjusting any leaf blade switch. Best clean them first, and be sure the screws or rivets holding the switch stack to bracket, are tight.

#4566 5 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Fill out a request online https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/

Try rubbing paper between the contacts of the pop bumper switches.

#4567 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Why is it scary? We buy the assemblies already made, unless it was acting up on the test line we never would notice this. Not something we normally look for!

But.... now we will!

#4568 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Tricky, you want the lightshows so you know what is going on and that you have made shots, and we are talking about a pretty narrow window of time, so, I think this is a case where "hey, it's pinball"

Just thinking out loud but the completed lanes could be in a different color - like in the Needles and Thread mode. Also at ball launch they are out and if you go for a super skill shot and miss and hit the in / out lane you don't know what's lit and what's not.

#4569 5 years ago

rosh - a couple of system items:
- There is no interlock warning on the screen or sound played when the coin door is opened. Is that in the plans?
- Clear Houdini's Balls - I'll often get 2 balls kicked from the ball trough before auto-fire shoots them out of the shooter lane and sometimes they get caught up on each other. Any thoughts on tweaking the timing of this utility?

Let me know when you're ready for beta!

#4570 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Tilt Bob -- I believe you got your game from Jesse, so, you probably need to ask him about it, guessing he never installed it.
Check the gapping on the switches, the shirt position and its placement in the spoon, also makes sure the switch contacts are totally clean. Also check there there are washers where the ring connects to the yoke (if there is enough thread you can also look to add an additional washer).
If this does not help, contact Barry

Why would I install it. that's no fun.

Yes he bought it from me. spoke to him early am yesterday.

#4571 5 years ago

LETS PUT SOME BOOM MAGICAL BOOM INTO THE HOLIDAY
Independence day special!!! Pincades is covering delivery to your driveway within the Chicago land area, on a NIB Houdini.
(Some restrictions apply, we do offer white glove set up as well for a fee.)

Pincades

#4572 5 years ago

rosh do we know when the Australian Houdini’s are going into their casket?

#4573 5 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

do we know when the Australian Houdini’s are going into their casket?

There are two down there now with Wayne, and Melbourne Silverball did a stream from there last week. FYI, Martin did give some incorrect info on the rules, but in his defense, he does not like to know the rules when he first plays the game, so he was figuring it out as he played. What was funny on that was with the skill shot, the things he felt had little value, imho, have the highest value (milkcan multiplier, light outlane modes)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/275368737

Wayne is taking orders now, and I think he is looking to place his order with us in the next week. Not sure how quick those will hit the line, but suspect within a week or two of the order. I know the coin doors have been ordered.

Quoted from Rferullo:

- There is no interlock warning on the screen or sound played when the coin door is opened. Is that in the plans?

There is only one switch on the door and that directly cuts the high power, so no way for the system to now the door is open, to give the warning. That will change on game 2.

Quoted from Rferullo:

Clear Houdini's Balls - I'll often get 2 balls kicked from the ball trough before auto-fire shoots them out of the shooter lane and sometimes they get caught up on each other. Any thoughts on tweaking the timing of this utility?

I've not experienced that, but I'll take a look at it.

Quoted from Rferullo:

Let me know when you're ready for beta!

I keep trying to get more stuff in. Got 100+ new voice calls a week or so ago, so getting those dropped in and just got a couple of updated animations thirty seconds ago, but I'll be drawing a line shortly. Currently doing testing of the Master Magician Mode (and adding voice calls). So, my hope is we will be doing beta testing next week.

Quoted from Rferullo:

Just thinking out loud but the completed lanes could be in a different color - like in the Needles and Thread mode.

Not sure I understand what you mean completed color? Are you talking during a lightshow have outlanes a different color then the rest of the lightshow?

Quoted from Rferullo:

Also at ball launch they are out and if you go for a super skill shot and miss and hit the in / out lane you don't know what's lit and what's not.

Having those lit during the skill shot would confuse a newer player thinking those are associated with the skill shot.

#4574 5 years ago

rosh do we know when the Australian Houdini’s are going into their casket?

We are taking orders for container one now, for July Production, lots of extra goodies for those who have ordered

#4575 5 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

LETS PUT SOME BOOM MAGICAL BOOM INTO THE HOLIDAY
Independence day special!!! Pincades is covering delivery to your driveway within the Chicago land area, on a NIB Houdini.
(Some restrictions apply, we do offer white glove set up as well for a fee.)

Pincades

Bump for a great deal from Jesse !

#4576 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Having those lit during the skill shot would confuse a newer player thinking those are associated with the skill shot.

Super Secret Skill shot! All the cool kids are doing those now.

#4577 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

All the cool kids are doing those now.

I don't like to do things 'all' the others are doing

#4578 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

"All the others" aren't doing it. Only the cool kids.

#4579 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

There are two down there now with Wayne, and Melbourne Silverball did a stream from there last week. FYI, Martin did give some incorrect info on the rules, but in his defense, he does not like to know the rules when he first plays the game, so he was figuring it out as he played. What was funny on that was with the skill shot, the things he felt had little value, imho, have the highest value (milkcan multiplier, light outlane modes)
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/275368737
Wayne is taking orders now, and I think he is looking to place his order with us in the next week. Not sure how quick those will hit the line, but suspect within a week or two of the order. I know the coin doors have been ordered.

I’ve already ordered one and getting a wee bit excited. To be honest I think I’ve watched a few minutes of gameplay but I might wait until I get it to figure it out.

#4580 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

#4581 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Super Secret Skill shot! All the cool kids are doing those now.

"Super secret" skill shot?! I just realized from catching up on this thread yesterday that there is a super skill shot. Went for this exclusively on the games I played last night and managed to hit the left Magic target 4 times, but it only registered twice as the ball typically travels in a soft arc to make this shot. I'm apparently going to need to adjust the switch contact on the left Magic target to be a little more sensitive if possible.

#4582 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Super Secret Skill shot!

Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Super secret" skill shot?!

I actually thought i found one.
So skill shot scrolls thru 3 targets at a certain pace, increases as you make it from ball to ball getting faster scroll. Been several times ive eraned an extra ball off the skill shot but extra ball wasnt one of the 3 choices. Was thinking its those moments you catch 2 targets at once?

#4583 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I actually thought i found one.
So skill shot scrolls thru 3 targets at a certain pace, increases as you make it from ball to ball getting faster scroll. Been several times ive eraned an extra ball off the skill shot but extra ball wasnt one of the 3 choices. Was thinking its those moments you catch 2 targets at once?

You probably had gotten hold bonus multiplier on your previous ball (with a 2x or higher multiplier) and then hit the 5X Bonus Multiplier on the skill shot which then increased it high enough to get the bonus multiplier extra ball. Although also depends on what you have it set at, the default is 7, but if you set it down to 5 . . .

#4584 5 years ago

I’ve already ordered one and getting a wee bit excited. To be honest I think I’ve watched a few minutes of gameplay but I might wait until I get it to figure it out.

I like when I can just learn the rules of a machine organically, and then after I have the basics figured out, go read up to see what I am missing. A lot of the strategy and details of game play are easier to understand once you have a sense of the basic game play. Often though, you can't fully appreciate the game until you understand the rules.

#4585 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I keep trying to get more stuff in. Got 100+ new voice calls a week or so ago, so getting those dropped in and just got a couple of updated animations thirty seconds ago, but I'll be drawing a line shortly. Currently doing testing of the Master Magician Mode (and adding voice calls). So, my hope is we will be doing beta testing next week.

Sounds awesome

Quoted from rosh:

Not sure I understand what you mean completed color? Are you talking during a lightshow have outlanes a different color then the rest of the lightshow?

I mean if the green fade effect from bottom to top is running the inlane / outlanes that are completed would be in blue / teal.

Quoted from rosh:

Ok - but maybe when you hit the flipper / lane change they could light briefly so you could lineup the shot?

#4586 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I like when I can just learn the rules of a machine organically, and then after I have the basics figured out, go read up to see what I am missing. A lot of the strategy and details of game play are easier to understand once you have a sense of the basic game play. Often though, you can't fully appreciate the game until you understand the rules.

Shoot at the flashing light?

#4587 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

The best part of something like this is being apart of the growth of the code and experiencing the evolution of the game... imo... later in life I'll be like "I remember when there was no master magician mode..."

It's also great to be able to provide feedback - some of which actually gets incorporated into the game! And it's exciting to get an occasional update and then play the snot out of it! It's like a whole new game sometimes. With 100+ call outs and new mini / major wizard modes coming I'm so psyched! Can't wait....

#4588 5 years ago

Houdini is on it's way to North Dakota! Considered some other games too, but couldn't shake the feeling I'm going to love Houdini. Have never even seen one in person, and watched only a minute or two of gameplay. Hopefully will be here Friday!

#4589 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

You probably had gotten hold bonus multiplier on your previous ball (with a 2x or higher multiplier) and then hit the 5X Bonus Multiplier on the skill shot which then increased it high enough to get the bonus multiplier extra ball. Although also depends on what you have it set at, the default is 7, but if you set it down to 5 . . .

Thank you Josh.
Thats also a great idea and method of potential extra ball!
Mines set to 7x, Im 98% factory presets 3 ball. So enjoy earning a few extra balls during a good game. Just gives me more chances to screw up.

#4590 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

That’s how I came to appreciate the hobbit. I watched Karl DiAngelo’s video and went ahh so that’s how you start a fking mode... but I’m super stoked that the games aren’t too far off from being made and then leaving

#4591 5 years ago

The Mod Couple is Proud and Honored to announce a partnership with #Ericpinballfan to offer his Amazing and creative Houdini premium mods! All of his highly detailed Houdini creations will now be offered along side our Houdini collection via our web store www.TheModCouplePinball.com We are excited to work with such a creative and talented guy (and his wife gets some much deserved credit!). We look forward to working with Eric and his wife and feel Confident he is a wonderful fit for our team and this creative hobby. All of his products are now available and in stock so he can attend to his work and family duties and come home with newfound inspiration and creativity for Houdini and others! Thanks for joining us Eric!

The Mod Couple

dave pics 11 (resized).jpgdave pics 11 (resized).jpgdave pics 14 (resized).jpgdave pics 14 (resized).jpgdave pics 9 (resized).jpgdave pics 9 (resized).jpg
#4592 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

The Mod Couple is Proud and Honored to announce a partnership with #Ericpinballfan to offer his Amazing and creative Houdini premium mods! All of his highly detailed Houdini creations will now be offered along side our Houdini collection via our web store www.TheModCouplePinball.com We are excited to work with such a creative and talented guy (and his wife gets some much deserved credit!). We look forward to working with Eric and his wife and feel Confident he is a wonderful fit for our team and this creative hobby. All of his products are now available and in stock so he can attend to his work and family duties and come home with newfound inspiration and creativity for Houdini and others! Thanks for joining us Eric!
The Mod Couple

Very cool! I have Eric's fantastic Houdini mods and coincidentally, just ordered The MOD Couple's "Q The Robot" mod earlier this evening. Thanks for producing these excellent additions to the game!

#4593 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Very cool! I have Eric's fantastic Houdini mods and coincidentally, just ordered The MOD Couple's "Q The Robot" mod earlier this evening. Thanks for producing these excellent additions to the game!

Thanks Tuna!
What a pleasure it is to work with themodcouplepinball.com !
So Honored they aporoached me for a great partnership.
They will now carry all my mods full time.

#4594 5 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

I mean if the green fade effect from bottom to top is running the inlane / outlanes that are completed would be in blue / teal.

Given how the lightshows work, that would require a ton of work, so, sorry, but not going to happen . Plus, then it opens the door for other inserts . . .

Quoted from Rferullo:

It's also great to be able to provide feedback - some of which actually gets incorporated into the game!

I'll shamelessly borrow any good idea and put my own twist on it and as I have said, will listen to all suggestions. In fact, this next update includes a voice call for one of the joke hat pulls that was written by the family of one of the Houdini owners in this thread.

#4595 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

you guys need to stop hitting the booze before you play The timer stops when it is doing it is pulling stuff out of the hat. It is possible that a couple of the awards start the timer a couple of seconds too early before ejecting the ball, but it most certainly stops when it enters and during the animations of the hat pull. I just tested this on all five film modes.

Just captured the logs of the game running the FILM timer while the Magic Shop sequence is going on and sent them to you rosh - it doesn't happen every time but it definitely happens fairly often as I've seen it at least three times the last two days. I was even sober for a couple of them!

#4596 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Just captured the logs of the game running the FILM timer while the Magic Shop sequence is going on and sent them to you rosh - it doesn't happen every time but it definitely happens fairly often as I've seen it at least three times the last two days. I was even sober for a couple of them!

Didn't he say he thought this was because of the pop timers interfering if you hit the pops before dropping into the magic shop?

#4597 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Didn't he say he thought this was because of the pop timers interfering if you hit the pops before dropping into the magic shop?

Yes, apparently I didn't comprehend that one.

#4598 5 years ago

Houdini is on the way.... so i wan't to replace the shooterrod with a modfathers one:
Are this compatible with the Houdini one.

LOTR
https://modfatherpinball.com/collections/shooter-rods/products/lord-of-the-rings-shooter-rod

Bronze
https://modfatherpinball.com/collections/shooter-rods/products/bronze-shooter

#4599 5 years ago

Reading about the light show on the escape mode,when I did one,practically the whole playfield went dark,with the exception of the targets to hit???

#4600 5 years ago

MightyGrave... BTW: My opinion between the 2; I personally like the bronze one. I think it's more fitting for the game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 92 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/92 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.